Awoo.

Artwork: Knick, Clunk, and Treela: Cartoon Series Concept

SpongicX

This looks very interesting but while I hate to be a backseat mod, I'm pretty sure this belongs in Showcase instead of Chit-Chat since it's fan work.

But it looks good regardless. 

3 minutes ago, Dee Dude said:

This looks very interesting but while I hate to be a backseat mod, I'm pretty sure this belongs in Showcase instead of Chit-Chat since it's fan work.

But it looks good regardless. 

But it's not Sonic fan art, so I don't think it would fit there. 

Dee Dude is correct, any showcase of one's own creative work belongs in the Showcase section; it need not be Sonic-related. Thus, I moved this thread.

BTW, I'm digging this so far, I love the art - very cartoony and expressive. I'm also really impressed by the issue #2 cover.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

Dee Dude is correct, any showcase of one's own creative work belongs in the Showcase section; it need not be Sonic-related. Thus, I moved this thread.

BTW, I'm digging this so far, I love the art - very cartoony and expressive. I'm also really impressed by the issue #2 cover.

Thanks, I appreciate it. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here are some in development sneak peaks of Issue 2, which should hopefully be ready in January 2017. I hope you look forward to this fun comic series. Issue 2 will be a lot more fun and exciting than issue 1. 

knick_knack_the_squirrel_2__preview_art_

Here is a direct link to find all of these images on Deviantart. 

http://spongicx.deviantart.com/gallery/60289357/Knick-Knack-the-Squirrel

Thanks to those who gave this a look. I hope you like it, and enjoy the series as it unfolds. As soon as it's ready, I'll upload Issue 2 onto Youtube, and update this thread when it's ready. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you so much, I really am wanting this to become something big. I am a very passionate artist who wishes to spread the same amount of inspiration for art as many other incredible artists have done the same for me.

Here is a video that shows some of the new artwork for issue 2. 

Dang... It really hurts to see my life's work getting neglected the heck out of... I don't know what more to do. I'm releasing these comics for free online, and have talked about it on different websites... This is pretty depressing, I was really hoping people would like this series, and would look forward to it... I just released the first issue on November 24th, and it only has 108 views, and only one like?! This series is not doing well... I don't know why I am bothering continuing to work on something that no one will give a chance... 

Seems pretty awesome if you ask me. Perhaps you'renot expanding your horizons enough. You have to know where to look and get noticed. It requires research though. Perhaps local newspapers or community couriers is a good start.

8 hours ago, SpongicX said:

Dang... It really hurts to see my life's work getting neglected the heck out of... I don't know what more to do. I'm releasing these comics for free online, and have talked about it on different websites... This is pretty depressing, I was really hoping people would like this series, and would look forward to it... I just released the first issue on November 24th, and it only has 108 views, and only one like?! This series is not doing well... I don't know why I am bothering continuing to work on something that no one will give a chance... 

Hate to be blunt but...you're setting your expectations way, way, WAY too high. Today, people have an absurd number of entertainment options, many of which are just as free and accessible as yours is, and are better known. With so many other things to be interested in, it's often hard for something new to stand out, and people don't have unlimited time to spend on entertainment; they have to pick and choose to some extent, and they're more likely to choose something which they already know something about, or which has a good reputation already. Obviously it's not impossible for people to get interested in something new and unknown, but the point is, there are so many other options out there that it's a bit unrealistic to expect your comic to be immediately noticed and embraced. You've only given it two months, and already you're expecting your comic to be the talk of the town? Plus, it doesn't actually sound like your advertising has been that intensive. "I've talked about it on different websites" really doesn't sound like that much to me.

Frankly, this response makes me think you probably haven't posted many creative works online before, 'cause...what's happening to you is extremely normal. Yes, I get frustrated by these things too, everybody does, but if you set your expectations THIS high, you're just preparing yourself for more and more disappointment. But personally, I really enjoy your comic a ton and am genuinely looking forward to more, if it helps you to hear that :)

I would also give some thought to the audience you're aiming for. Personally, I feel your series could actually be more successful if you tried to give it a broader release (possibly even trying to turn it into a commercial product?) and marketed it towards kids more, rather than trying to make it successful as a web comic that doesn't seem to be aiming for any particular demographic. That's just my hunch based on the content of your work. That could potentially take a lot more work than what you're doing now, but it's just something to think about; maybe something you could aim for in the future while what you're doing now is practice. Again, I'm just throwing out ideas based on how I see your work and who I see it appealing to, I'm not sure if this is something you'd be interested in pursuing at all, and ultimately you should do whatever you want to do. It's just the thought that occurred to me.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/15/2016 at 10:22 AM, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

Hate to be blunt but...you're setting your expectations way, way, WAY too high. Today, people have an absurd number of entertainment options, many of which are just as free and accessible as yours is, and are better known. With so many other things to be interested in, it's often hard for something new to stand out, and people don't have unlimited time to spend on entertainment; they have to pick and choose to some extent, and they're more likely to choose something which they already know something about, or which has a good reputation already. Obviously it's not impossible for people to get interested in something new and unknown, but the point is, there are so many other options out there that it's a bit unrealistic to expect your comic to be immediately noticed and embraced. You've only given it two months, and already you're expecting your comic to be the talk of the town? Plus, it doesn't actually sound like your advertising has been that intensive. "I've talked about it on different websites" really doesn't sound like that much to me.

Frankly, this response makes me think you probably haven't posted many creative works online before, 'cause...what's happening to you is extremely normal. Yes, I get frustrated by these things too, everybody does, but if you set your expectations THIS high, you're just preparing yourself for more and more disappointment. But personally, I really enjoy your comic a ton and am genuinely looking forward to more, if it helps you to hear that :)

I would also give some thought to the audience you're aiming for. Personally, I feel your series could actually be more successful if you tried to give it a broader release (possibly even trying to turn it into a commercial product?) and marketed it towards kids more, rather than trying to make it successful as a web comic that doesn't seem to be aiming for any particular demographic. That's just my hunch based on the content of your work. That could potentially take a lot more work than what you're doing now, but it's just something to think about; maybe something you could aim for in the future while what you're doing now is practice. Again, I'm just throwing out ideas based on how I see your work and who I see it appealing to, I'm not sure if this is something you'd be interested in pursuing at all, and ultimately you should do whatever you want to do. It's just the thought that occurred to me.

I already tried making it commercial, I tried selling this for $1.00 online as early as October, and it hasn't made a single sale. I then made it into a free pdf file, and video, in hopes of giving people an idea, yet it still is doing horribly. No companies will even consider looking at my work, because I don't have a college degree. I am also in no financial state to make any investments towards making this advertised, so I am basically screwed... 

It's a real sad world we live in, when people lazily make money off of recording video game play throughs, copying videos from other creators, or bootleg fan art, while there are those who put actual time and effort into their creations, only to get heavily ignored.

I don't expect everyone to like my work, but I sure wasn't expecting it to be ignored this poorly. I'm not just a new Youtube channel either, I've been on Youtube since 2009, technically longer, if you count my previous accounts. I have over 1,100 subscribers, so it's a bit upsetting to know that my subscribers are avoiding it.

2 hours ago, SpongicX said:

I already tried making it commercial, I tried selling this for $1.00 online as early as October, and it hasn't made a single sale. I then made it into a free pdf file, and video, in hopes of giving people an idea, yet it still is doing horribly. No companies will even consider looking at my wirk, because I don't have a college degree. I am also in no financial state to make any investments towards making this advertised, so I am basically screwed... 

It's a real sad world we live in, when people lazily make money off of recording video game play throughs, copying videos from other creators, or bootleg fan art, while there are thise who put actual time and effort into their creations, only to get heavily from ignored.

I don't expect everyone to like my work, but I sure wasn't expecting it to be ignored this poorly. I'm not just a new Youtube channel either, I've been on Youtube since 2009, technically longer, if you count my previous accounts. I have over 1,100 subscribers, so it's a bit upsetting to know that my subscribers are avoiding it.

I probably didn't make it clear enough, but I actually meant the whole commercial angle as a very, very long-term endeavor that might include getting a degree, trying to attract a publisher, finding more ways to advertise, getting a following, stuff like that. In retrospect I didn't do a great job explaining my point, so sorry about that.

Honestly, the truth of life you can't just throw something love and worked hard on out there and expect it to find a place in people's hearts just like that. You need to find an audience, give people something they're looking for that they may not feel like they can quite find elsewhere, and actually make sure that the people who want what you're "selling" know about it. I know, it's rough. I'm not a fan of putting a lot of heart into something and seeing it get ignored, which has happened to me sometimes. But the thing is, it's not about how "good" you are or how hard you tried; it's more about things like, are you fulfilling a reasonably widespread desire that exists out there and effectively connecting your content with the people who have that desire?

I don't think you have to give up on advertising just because you don't have much money. There are ways that don't cost money to attract attention to yourself and to connect with other people in a way that might generate interest in your work. At least keep trying, don't just say "well, I posted about it on a few websites, that's all I can think of" and give up. You have to be more patient and persistent in your efforts.

Also, if you think about it, it really makes sense that your subscribers haven't watched your new videos, considering none of your older videos remotely resemble your Knick Knack the Squirrel comics. If people subscribed to you for, say, YouTube Poop, they're going to be looking to you for YouTube Poop, not for original cartoony adventure comics. It's not a personal slight, it's just that people were probably not interested in this kind of content from you. It's like if your barber, who you like and go to regularly, created and started selling a video game - you probably wouldn't automatically buy it just because the guy's a good barber.

You don't have to give up on the idea of your series being enjoyed by others, but maybe you should just make your expectations more modest, particularly in the short term. My older sister had a similar experience where she wanted to become beloved for her fan fiction, but ended up falling extremely short. However, she met some awesome people on the fan fiction site who she now talks with regularly, and they read her stories sometimes too. Maybe you shouldn't consider anything other than "the series taking off in a spectacular fashion within two months" a failure.

As another tip, I think your series might have more of a chance if the presentation was more professional. The most obvious thing is the perfect-oval speech bubbles, the comic-unfitting font, and the fact that the text doesn't always fill the speech bubbles very well. I can see people seeing something like that and dismissing your comic a bit. It really shouldn't be that hard to fix, either, especially with all the free fonts available online.

At the end of the day, I really enjoy your comic and think it's well-written and well-drawn, and I wish you would focus more on just making it the best it can be rather than being upset over it not becoming popular quickly and easily.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

I probably didn't make it clear enough, but I actually meant the whole commercial angle as a very, very long-term endeavor that might include getting a degree, trying to attract a publisher, finding more ways to advertise, getting a following, stuff like that. In retrospect I didn't do a great job explaining my point, so sorry about that.

Honestly, the truth of life you can't just throw something love and worked hard on out there and expect it to find a place in people's hearts just like that. You need to find an audience, give people something they're looking for that they may not feel like they can quite find elsewhere, and actually make sure that the people who want what you're "selling" know about it. I know, it's rough. I'm not a fan of putting a lot of heart into something and seeing it get ignored, which has happened to me sometimes. But the thing is, it's not about how "good" you are or how hard you tried; it's more about things like, are you fulfilling a reasonably widespread desire that exists out there and effectively connecting your content with the people who have that desire?

I don't think you have to give up on advertising just because you don't have much money. There are ways that don't cost money to attract attention to yourself and to connect with other people in a way that might generate interest in your work. At least keep trying, don't just say "well, I posted about it on a few websites, that's all I can think of" and give up. You have to be more patient and persistent in your efforts.

Also, if you think about it, it really makes sense that your subscribers haven't watched your new videos, considering none of your older videos remotely resemble your Knick Knack the Squirrel comics. If people subscribed to you for, say, YouTube Poop, they're going to be looking to you for YouTube Poop, not for original cartoony adventure comics. It's not a personal slight, it's just that people were probably not interested in this kind of content from you. It's like if your barber, who you like and go to regularly, created and started selling a video game - you probably wouldn't automatically buy it just because the guy's a good barber.

You don't have to give up on the idea of your series being enjoyed by others, but maybe you should just make your expectations more modest, particularly in the short term. My older sister had a similar experience where she wanted to become beloved for her fan fiction, but ended up falling extremely short. However, she met some awesome people on the fan fiction site who she now talks with regularly, and they read her stories sometimes too. Maybe you shouldn't consider anything other than "the series taking off in a spectacular fashion within two months" a failure.

As another tip, I think your series might have more of a chance if the presentation was more professional. The most obvious thing is the perfect-oval speech bubbles, the comic-unfitting font, and the fact that the text doesn't always fill the speech bubbles very well. I can see people seeing something like that and dismissing your comic a bit. It really shouldn't be that hard to fix, either, especially with all the free fonts available online.

At the end of the day, I really enjoy your comic and think it's well-written and well-drawn, and I wish you would focus more on just making it the best it can be rather than being upset over it not becoming popular quickly and easily.

Thank you for your constructive criticism.

• 4 weeks later...

Issue 2 is officially complete! Some time tomorrow, I will compile the panels into a video format, and upload it on my new channel exclusively for Knick Knack. I hope you look forward to it, and enjoy it. This one will be a lot more polished and organized than issue 1. It will be over 100 pages long, and will really get the plot of the series started. I will post the link when it's ready. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, SpongicX said:

Issue 2 is officially complete! Some time tomorrow, I will compile the panels into a video format, and upload it on my new channel exclusively for Knick Knack. I hope you look forward to it, and enjoy it. This one will be a lot more polished and organized than issue 1. It will be over 100 pages long, and will really get the plot of the series started. I will post the link when it's ready. 

Geez man! Why don't you take the first and second issues and sell them as a "Knick Knack the Squirrel GN". 100 pages, well done man! 

I tried selling the first issue for a buck since last october, and not a single sale. I'm going to have to start out small and spread awareness before I attempt selling it again.