Awoo.

Artwork: Knick, Clunk, and Treela: Cartoon Series Concept

SpongicX

Pretty exciting! Can the new issue also be made available as a PDF or some other still format? That would be how I'd prefer to read it.

On 1/23/2017 at 11:38 AM, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

Pretty exciting! Can the new issue also be made available as a PDF or some other still format? That would be how I'd prefer to read it.

Sorry, but I most likely won't do that. I tried previously, and it wasn't getting any decent views. I'm also trying to make a living off of this comic, but no one was interested in buying the first issue, not even for one small dollar. I decided to upload them on Youtube with ad revenue, in hopes of getting more people to see it, while getting paid through having ads displayed on my videos. I just don't see any point in putting it on PDF, it's bad enough I'm stuck getting nothing through Youtube ads, I don't need to be handing it out for free. These comics took me months to make, and after all the work I put into it, I can't just hand it out for free. I hope you can understand, this is my life's work, and I've been saving this concept for years, I can't just hand it out. If I could, I would be selling each issue, but since no body wants it, or is aware of it, you should be thankful I'm at least uploading it on Youtube.

Besides, I'm more happy with making it into a video comic series, it allows me to release each panel in full screen, without having to worry about the images or dialogue being too big or small for each image. If you look at issue 1, you will notice it is a mess, I tried my best to fit multiple panels on screen at once, but it just looked cluttered. Issue 2 looks a lot more organized, and I was able to take my time to fit speech bubbles in one at a time, instead of cramming them all into one panel like in the first issue. My friendliest advice would be to watch the youtube versions, but pause at each frame, and resume when you're ready to move on, that way, you can have all the time to absorb the imagery and dialogue, before seeing the story unfold. 

I apologize if this is not want you wanted to hear, but I hope you can understand my reasoning. Thank you for taking the time to check the comic out though. I don't know when issue three will be ready. I already have enough storyboard images finished for a third issue, I just need to  redraw each image and background, add color, and it should be ready. I can't say much yet, but I can confirm the third issue will have the three heroes embark on their quest. Their first destination will be through a swamp, followed by a jungle. They'll get held back by a cave full of creepy insect people, and cause some trouble for the three characters.  You'll get to see the characters unfold with their new powers, as they learn some useful skills they can utilize with their new powers. That will be one of the most fun aspects of this series, seeing how the characters use their powers, and how they evolve throughout the series. You've already seen Knick turn his tail into a flame, or see Clunk make giant balls of ice with his mouth, but that's only the surface. It gets even better later on in the series, when the three heroes combine their powers for some clever tactics.

Watching a YouTube video seems like an annoying way to go about reading a comic book, and the fact that you don't seem to care about providing an array of means to reach your audience makes me not want to bother to support this project. I know it appears to be a minor issue, but it seems like you care more about your own needs than the audience's, and while that's technically true of many-to-most content creators, it shouldn't feel that way, and if it does, you're doing something wrong. What's even worse is that I'm not convinced your strategy will be effective anyway.

I think your way of thinking about this project is way off base, to be honest. You seem to have the philosophy that you should just be able to put it out there and make money. That's not the way it works. At all. It doesn't matter how much work or heart you put into it. You have to actually try building an audience and you've made very little effort to do that, as far as I can see.

I understand your reasoning, but I don't think your strategy is going to be remotely successful. Best of luck, but personally, I think you're being very short-sighted in your approach and that you're not considering anything but immediate profits, and I don't think that's going to pay big dividends. I like your work, so I hope you consider making it available in a different format in the future.

On 1/26/2017 at 8:07 PM, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

Watching a YouTube video seems like an annoying way to go about reading a comic book, and the fact that you don't seem to care about providing an array of means to reach your audience makes me not want to bother to support this project. I know it appears to be a minor issue, but it seems like you care more about your own needs than the audience's, and while that's technically true of many-to-most content creators, it shouldn't feel that way, and if it does, you're doing something wrong. What's even worse is that I'm not convinced your strategy will be effective anyway.

I think your way of thinking about this project is way off base, to be honest. You seem to have the philosophy that you should just be able to put it out there and make money. That's not the way it works. At all. It doesn't matter how much work or heart you put into it. You have to actually try building an audience and you've made very little effort to do that, as far as I can see.

I understand your reasoning, but I don't think your strategy is going to be remotely successful. Best of luck, but personally, I think you're being very short-sighted in your approach and that you're not considering anything but immediate profits, and I don't think that's going to pay big dividends. I like your work, so I hope you consider making it available in a different format in the future.

I always planned on making this into an animated series, not a comic series, but I can't make an animated series on my own, and no company would consider looking at what I have to offer without a college degree, businesses don't give a care about artists, unless they have a degree. I was a self taught artist, and it is real annoying for self taught artists to be expected to waste a bunch of money on colleges, to learn what we already know, especially at their ridiculous expenses. I can't afford to go to college anyways. Instead of waiting forever for an opportunity that may never show up, I decided to finally do something about my series. It's not supposed to be a conventional comic series, this is more of a pitch to showcase my idea. Uploading it as a storyboard comic video series is closest I can get to presenting my idea the way I intended it to be.  I'm not in the best financial state in my life, so how can you judge me for trying to make an honest living? There are rare occasions where people without art degrees upload their stuff online, and get recognized by businesses to work for them, and that's what I'm trying to do, I'm trying to get noticed, in hopes of someday working with a company that would give me the chance to bring this series to life, the way I envisioned it. I'm aware that I would likely have to make a lot of sacrifices and negotiations to get this series started.

You're talking down to me like I'm a scam artist, and have no passion for what I'm doing, but that's not true. I am a very passionate and inspired artist, and I want to make this series happen, because I love art, and hope that people can feel the same sense of joy I have with making these comics. A lot of time, effort, and detail goes into this series, so is it a crime to want to make it through life after all the time and effort spent into making these? I live in Fort Madison, Iowa, and there are not many job opportunities around here for those without a lot of work experience.  I'm not trying to scam people, and I'm not rushing some lousy series of stick figure drawings. I want to make a living off of doing what I love, and I want to make a living off of possibly making viewers happy. Is it so wrong for someone to have a dream?  I've spent more than 12  years making free fan art, and decided to finally go a step up, and unveil my own original series. This is a concept I've been developing for more than 13 years, and you expect me to just pass it out for free?! Why don't you ask Sega to release everything Sonic related for free while you're at it?... 

OK, maybe I was a little hard on you, man, and I'm sorry. You don't have an obligation to release anything for free, and I never meant to say that was the case. To be honest, the upshot of what I was trying to say, whether I succeeded in doing so or not, was that I don't really see you making any substantial amount of money off of this in the short term, and so it kind of seems almost pointless to make it a YouTube exclusive because the ad revenue you'll be getting is negligible anyway, and the fact that I personally cannot see myself getting into the series in the format you're presenting it in. All that I was trying to say is that if you're not willing to present it in a format that's more enjoyable for me, I probably am not going to be interested. I WANT to see your series succeed, and I don't see that happening if you're only willing to "put it out there" in a pretty annoying format. I fear that many people who would otherwise be interested aren't going to think it's worth the hassle, when there are so many other options of series to read or watch for free online that don't have this issue.

I probably said all of this in a very overly accusatory-sounding way, and I'm sorry for that. And I'm sorry it sounded like I was accusing you of being a "scam artist" when that was the farthest thing from my intent.

For the record, if you link me to a place where I can buy your comic in a non-video format, I would seriously consider buying it. It's not that I want you to give everything away for free, I just don't think this particular strategy of yours is the greatest. Again, I said that in a weirdly harsh way and I regret that.

Awwww, that's actually really cute!

You know, if you make more Knick Knack related stuff like this where you draw simple artwork such as bios, characters, holiday pics, and general artwork aside from simply releasing a few issues. Some people might be aware that this is an actual franchise rather than just some comics you made.

If I worded that the wrong way I apologize. I think someone else besides Monkey Destruction Switch needs give you some advice on this as well as some mild criticism. 

First off, we all know you can't expect an instant hit from this series, trust me, I've dealt it with too.

There's a lot of people and fellow users here with original series who haven't grabbed much attention either so remember that you're not alone on that problem.

Second off, your drawings, now hear me out on this, your art is fine but you're gonna sell this and get people's attention you might want to keep approving on it.

I'm not saying it's horrible cause it's not but I've seen that some of the characters can be kind of disproportionate, for example: Clunk's head in the 3rd issue cover is too big compared to Knick's and Treela's. The characters proporations need to stay consistent unless they're comical expressions which I do like.

The biggest issue are the word balloons. I'm fine with typing text, but sometimes they're way too big for the words to the point where still so much space covering what could've been drawn. You should also make them more bigger so they can be easier to see and fit the balloons.

Don't think of this as me telling you what to do or controlling your comic. It's your choice but I'm just giving you helpful to help your comics succeed in the future.

I don't care if you're selling them but it shouldn't just be about making money, it should also be about having FUN. I appreciate the months work you put into these and working on this for more than 15 years but I want you to enjoy this as well so you don't get down if you're not meeting your expectations well. It takes time.

Try to introduce others into the world of Knick Knack The Squirrel so they can get to know it, maybe any friends you know?

Hope this helps and good luck out there.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Dee Dude said:

Awwww, that's actually really cute!

You know, if you make more Knick Knack related stuff like this where you draw simple artwork such as bios, characters, holiday pics, and general artwork aside from simply releasing a few issues. Some people might be aware that this is an actual franchise rather than just some comics you made.

If I worded that the wrong way I apologize. I think someone else besides Monkey Destruction Switch needs give you some advice on this as well as some mild criticism. 

First off, we all know you can't expect an instant hit from this series, trust me, I've dealt it with too.

There's a lot of people and fellow users here with original series who haven't grabbed much attention either so remember that you're not alone on that problem.

Second off, your drawings, now hear me out on this, your art is fine but you're gonna sell this and get people's attention you might want to keep approving on it.

I'm not saying it's horrible cause it's not but I've seen that some of the characters can be kind of disproportionate, for example: Clunk's head in the 3rd issue cover is too big compared to Knick's and Treela's. The characters proporations need to stay consistent unless they're comical expressions which I do like.

The biggest issue are the word balloons. I'm fine with typing text, but sometimes they're way too big for the words to the point where still so much space covering what could've been drawn. You should also make them more bigger so they can be easier to see and fit the balloons.

Don't think of this as me telling you what to do or controlling your comic. It's your choice but I'm just giving you helpful to help your comics succeed in the future.

I don't care if you're selling them but it shouldn't just be about making money, it should also be about having FUN. I appreciate the months work you put into these and working on this for more than 15 years but I want you to enjoy this as well so you don't get down if you're not meeting your expectations well. It takes time.

Try to introduce others into the world of Knick Knack The Squirrel so they can get to know it, maybe any friends you know?

Hope this helps and good luck out there.

Thanks for the feedback. I personally feel I fixed a bunch of the speech bubble and text issues with the 2nd issue though.

I would like to announce that I'm planning on making a remastered version of issue one. It will have better image quality, revised speech bubbles and better text. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Some feedback: Good job at the remaster! Looks a lot more polished. Now, since you write these as a video comic, I highly encourage you to think about making this an animated comic, which means doing nothing different in terms of making the video but having sound effects, music, and voice actors. People aren't really going to sit there for 18+ minutes and just read a comic without something to listen to. Just my opinion. But you're doing great so far! Keep it up!

2 hours ago, Terriful said:

Some feedback: Good job at the remaster! Looks a lot more polished. Now, since you write these as a video comic, I highly encourage you to think about making this an animated comic, which means doing nothing different in terms of making the video but having sound effects, music, and voice actors. People aren't really going to sit there for 18+ minutes and just read a comic without something to listen to. Just my opinion. But you're doing great so far! Keep it up!

Thanks, I really wanted to, but it's too risky to do that stuff. I don't have any skill at making sound, and am in no financial situation to hire voice actors. I don't want to risk getting copy right strikes by using already made sound effects and music either. You'd be surprised how strict Youtube has gotten over stuff like that. I'm starting out small, in hopes of making it into something bigger in the future. I would love to see this stuff get animated someday, and would even love to be part of the animation crew. 

Thanks for the feedback. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sneak Preview of Issue 3.  Make sure to open image in new tab, to get a bigger view of the image. 

I would also like to announce that I am planning on making this into a motion comic series, meaning it will now have some animated effects appear on certain panels, mainly for the special effects. Issue 3 will be the first issue to include these updated visual effects. 
  • Thumbs Up 2

A new preview image of issue 3. Knick just met an odd bug character named Rant. Knick is having a hard time trusting this guy, but he may have no choice.

• Thumbs Up 1

The third issue is coming along a lot better than I hoped. It should be
ready by next month. I plan to release 1 new preview art each day in the
mean time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh boy, do I have three big preview images I'd like to share tomorrow. I would share them today, but I already posted pics for today. Tomorrow's images are 3 full finalized images to happen within the same scene. So far, I personally think they're some of the best looking shots from the comic series, and I look forward to sharing them tomorrow. Hopefully I'll remember to post them tomorrow, since I'm getting a Nintendo Switch tonight, along with the new Zelda. I'll surely be able to remember doing so.