Awoo.

My LCD Samsung TV has image retention. Is there a quick fix? [removed]

Hiki

Connect something that can display images and download some test pattern images. Showing something like that is the best bet for clearing out any temporary burn in.

Download it (a test pattern video) to a USB drive or something then transfer it to the PS4 or one of your xboxes.

If it's an older TV you might be screwed- I have an LCD monitor  which was from like 2008-2010 that has the top edge of a google chrome toolbar burned into it from when I used to dish phat bans 24/7 on ssmb back in the day.

• Thumbs Up 1

Probably not. If it's that old and it has retention of any sort it will likely be permanent. That wasn't a thing that was really shutout in LCDs until manufacturers started investing in 3D screens

Unfortunately, there is no guaranteed fix, and as this is a problem I have never encountered myself I haven't had to fix it. I found an article on dealing with LCD and plasma burn-in that might be able to help though. http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/why-do-images-get-burned-into-lcd-and-plasma-displays-and-how-you-can-fix-it/

If none of the presented solutions work, you'll unfortunately have to either deal with it (maybe try sticking with SD if that shows the burn in less?) or get a new TV if its unbearable for you.

However, as the article says, the best way to fix burn-in is to prevent it. Most modern consoles and, barring that, games will have some kind of automatic darkening and/or automatically shut off after being left idle for a long time. However, a lot of older ones do not, and unfortunately I think the Gamecube is one of them. Next time you need to pause your game for an extended period of time, you should try turning off the TV but leaving the console on. The console will continue to run and thus retain your progress, but the TV will be not be displaying any still images and as a result will not be at risk for burn-in.

1 hour ago, King of the Black Arms said:

I wasn't able to find a good snow effect video, however, I found a YouTube video for it, but I haven't tried it yet. Do you guys think this video in particular should work good?

Judging by what others have said in the thread, it kind of sounds like it might be a lost cause anyway. You might as well just try it and see if it works; best of luck.

• The title was changed to My LCD Samsung TV has image retention. Is there a quick fix? [removed]