Awoo.

Favorite Final Level in a Sonic Game?

SpaceySpace

What is your favorite final level in Sonic Game? Do you enjoy it because whenever you replay the level it gives you least amount of trouble? Or maybe you enjoy it not because of the gameplay but purely for what it represents the overall theme of the level. Or maybe there is just some other unknown reason you enjoy this level. I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

Hey there, SpaceySpace, welcome to the Stadium!

I'd like to point out we prefer topics with stronger opening posts as they're more likely to invite discussion and open the floor to other members to get the ball rolling. While, in most cases, I'd consider locking this, I'd like to give you the chance to edit and flesh out your post with your own thoughts since we actually don't have a topic like this and I think it could be interesting (when I have more time, I'd like to contribute, myself!)

Egg Rocket/Cosmic Angel Zone. (But moreso Egg Rocket for it's intense atmosphere and music, it really makes it feel like there is a lot more at stake.)

• Thumbs Up 1

Image result for Final Egg

I'm gonna go with Final Egg. It's a huge stage that, somehow, takes more advantage of Sonic's physics than any of the previous levels with lots of twists, curves, and traps themed around these ideas. For the first(and last) time in this game, it feels like the training wheels are coming off. The atmosphere is the same as the above mentioned intimidating Eggman land. Not as huge and imposing, but the unsettling, run down look to it makes up for it. The fact that you get glimpses of it through the other characters's smaller campaigns before playing the full thing as Sonic is also neat. I guess it depends on what order you play the stories in for that, though. 

The songs that play are  awesome, especially this one when the intensity(aka the amount of Sonic auto-running sections) kicks up.

• Thumbs Up 3

I've always been fond of Egg Fleet/Final Fortress from Sonic Heroes:

350?cb=20140913125729

Egg Fleet has a strong sense of energy. As you run, jump, fly, and glide from ship to ship thousands of feet in the air, tearing apart any Badnik that gets in your way, you're treated to a rocking tune that gets your blood pumping!

Final Fortress

Final Fortress is more subdued in its energy, in favor of a strong sense of tension. You're at the end of your journey. Eggman is just one more Goal Ring away, but to get to it, you have to overcome dozens of supercharged mechs, city block-sized laser cannons, and a few flimsy platforms which are the only things standing between you and a one-way drop towards certain doom.

My only criticism towards this Zone is that it overstays its welcome a smidge- especially in Dark and Chaotix's stories! But I'll gladly overlook it if it means getting to tear through this armada with only three anthropomorphic animals!

• Thumbs Up 4

One of my favourites has always been Ice Paradise Zone.

tumblr_oh4iz2gbug1u0ti7oo1_540.png

This level always reminded me of going to Downtown Toronto as a kid in winter when night has fallen, what with it's background of a city of shimmering lights lighting up the dark, as well as the music which is joyous and cheerful, sounding like a high energy Christmas melody.

Image result for sonic advance 2 ice paradise

On top of that I really like how the level managed to find an ice gimmick that works well with Sonic. Instead of just having icy floors that reduces friction (or like any of the previous ice levels in Sonic games that pretty much just never really addressed the ice at all), on certain clearly defined sections Sonic just kinda slides down going in one direction and usually requires you to jump at the right time to get off of it and back to running. On one hand it's kinda limiting cause it reduces your movement, but on the other it's really not a huge deal, as it pretty much works as any other running set-pieces in Sonic where you just speed through bits that look and feel good to play, especially for a game as linear as Sonic Advance 2. 

9 hours ago, Nightly said:

One of my favourites has always been Ice Paradise Zone.

tumblr_oh4iz2gbug1u0ti7oo1_540.png

This level always reminded me of going to Downtown Toronto as a kid in winter when night has fallen, what with it's background of a city of shimmering lights lighting up the dark, as well as the music which is joyous and cheerful, sounding like a high energy Christmas melody.

Image result for sonic advance 2 ice paradise

On top of that I really like how the level managed to find an ice gimmick that works well with Sonic. Instead of just having icy floors that reduces friction (or like any of the previous ice levels in Sonic games that pretty much just never really addressed the ice at all), on certain clearly defined sections Sonic just kinda slides down going in one direction and usually requires you to jump at the right time to get off of it and back to running. On one hand it's kinda limiting cause it reduces your movement, but on the other it's really not a huge deal, as it pretty much works as any other running set-pieces in Sonic where you just speed through bits that look and feel good to play, especially for a game as linear as Sonic Advance 2. 

While this is a good post (and I agree with your positivity for this stage), the topic is about your favourite final levels.

...Well unless you're talking about that one fangame Ultimate Flash Sonic which literally just had Leaf Forest and Ice Paradise as the only two levels in it.

God everyone used to try and sneakily play that on school computers back in the day.

• Thumbs Up 6

9 hours ago, JezMM said:

While this is a good post (and I agree with your positivity for this stage), the topic is about your favourite final levels.

...Well unless you're talking about that one fangame Ultimate Flash Sonic which literally just had Leaf Forest and Ice Paradise as the only two levels in it.

God everyone used to try and sneakily play that on school computers back in the day.

Whoops, I didn't even notice that it said "final" levels. Sorry about that, I dunno how I didn't catch that ^^;;

When it comes to final levels I've always liked Wing Fortress Zone.

Image result for sonic 2 wing fortress

This stage's always just really had a cool atmosphere to me, and it really communicates that it's a place that truly wants to stop you, even though there's only really two enemies here, the little chicken guys in turrets and the laser blast cannon things.

Image result for wing fortress zone

How it manages this is through both of those enemies having artillery and not just kinda being there and throwing something like most of the other badniks in the game. Guns are inherently violent, and seeing how you really haven't seen a ton of em aside from the Buzzers and seahorse things, having two of the obstacles firing at you gives you a sense of "Oh, Eggman's really not messing around here". Also with the stage being a flying air ship, there's an inherent fear of falling off into the bottomless pit you mess up.

s2-wfz-point6img3.png

On top of that, almost nothing in the stage seems specifically built to helping you progress. I mean technically there is, like the bars underneath the ship that you need to grab on to and jump off, but more than anything I feel like all the platforms on the stage mean to just be a part of the ship's general design. Like all of those things serve a purpose being on there even if it's not implicitly clear what all of them are for, and you're just taking advantage of them.

Image result for wing fortress zone boss

Then at the very end you have to face one of the hardest bosses in the game. I don't feel like I really need to describe it in depth, but it requires a bunch of tricky jumps around three floating platforms with spikes on the bottom that go all over the place along with a giant laser that you have to dodge. On top of all of this Eggman's off to the side gleefully chuckling at you. Now, you've been fighting Eggman throughout the entire game at this point building a grudge against him, or at least wanting to take him down. You may have noticed in those bosses that whenever he lands a hit on you he always grins. Here though, he's grinning all the time even when his robot hasn't hasn't hit you. He's so sure of himself and his invention that he feels like there's no way he could possibly lose, which makes the player really feel resentful against the guy, and makes them want to destroy this robot and get to him. Additionally, Eggman's over to the right blocking your progress. In film and games, moving towards the right symbolizes a character progressing, which obviously is something that all people want and can relate to. In this boss fight, not only are you boxed in stopping your progress, but also Eggman's over to the right where you can't reach him, enforcing the idea that he's blocking your progress and making you even more determined to get to and stop him. I feel like this boss might not have had quite as much punch to it, or at least would've felt weird is Eggman was say, over to the left instead of the right, so him being there really adds to things even if only a little bit.

Then after you beat it you get a short cutscene to give you some time to revel in the fact that you finally beat this tough boss (especially if this was you're first time), and it shows Sonic getting to the Death Egg to fight the final bosses of the game.

So yea, I think this level's pretty rad and I dunno how to end this post.

• Thumbs Up 2

I suppose there's an argument to be made about whether final zones which consist only of a boss fight or fights should really count; they're not full zones, certainly.

On 23/11/2016 at 7:19 PM, NanoRim said:

Egg Rocket/Cosmic Angel Zone. (But moreso Egg Rocket for it's intense atmosphere and music, it really makes it feel like there is a lot more at stake.)

That zone has lots of neat little touches; the way the Egg Rocket literally launches at the start of the level; the fact that it continues to jettison sections throughout; the way the second act is halfway between a continuation and another level entirely.  The realisation is really interesting.

For myself, I don't think I could pick a favourite - well, I could, and it's S3K Death Egg, but somebody will probably cover it better and in more detail than I can.  But I wanted to draw attention to Chaos Angel from Sonic Advance 3 for not having even the remotest hint of a technology or space theme, which is exceedingly unusual for the series and almost unique.  (The only other example I can think of is Pirates' Island from Rush Adventure.)

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/23/2016 at 7:33 PM, Forte-Metallix said:

I've always been fond of Egg Fleet/Final Fortress from Sonic Heroes:

350?cb=20140913125729

Egg Fleet has a strong sense of energy. As you run, jump, fly, and glide from ship to ship thousands of feet in the air, tearing apart any Badnik that gets in your way, you're treated to a rocking tune that gets your blood pumping!

Final Fortress

Final Fortress is more subdued in its energy, in favor of a strong sense of tension. You're at the end of your journey. Eggman is just one more Goal Ring away, but to get to it, you have to overcome dozens of supercharged mechs, city block-sized laser cannons, and a few flimsy platforms which are the only things standing between you and a one-way drop towards certain doom.

My only criticism towards this Zone is that it overstays its welcome a smidge- especially in Dark and Chaotix's stories! But I'll gladly overlook it if it means getting to tear through this armada with only three anthropomorphic animals!

Lol I thought I was the only person who enjoyed these stages. However, after replaying Heroes recently I have to say both of these stages are my all time favorite in Sonic Heroes. However ONLY with Team Sonic (due to the other teams have a longer version & because A-ranking Egg Fleet with Rose proved to be difficult). I can see why fans were upset that neither of these stages returned in Generations.

On 11/23/2016 at 1:41 PM, Zaysho said:

Hey there, SpaceySpace, welcome to the Stadium!

I'd like to point out we prefer topics with stronger opening posts as they're more likely to invite discussion and open the floor to other members to get the ball rolling. While, in most cases, I'd consider locking this, I'd like to give you the chance to edit and flesh out your post with your own thoughts since we actually don't have a topic like this and I think it could be interesting (when I have more time, I'd like to contribute, myself!)

I altered the original post now. Does it meet the standards or should I add more information & be more in depth?