Awoo.

Knuckles the Echidna Comics

ilovegaming426

What do y'all think of the Knuckles the Echidna Comics?

Personally, I love the comics. I loved learning about Knuckles ancestors and his connection to the chaotix. To me he can stand on his own apart from sonic. Like he could have his own video game around his comic series. I hate how it was cancelled, the loosed ends were solved alittle but it would have been awesome to see it end naturally like it should've. No many people care for Julie-su. They think she is just there and at times yeah I can agree with that but overall I do like her as a sidekick and love interest for Knuckles. I own issues 17 and 25 of the comics and I want to own all 32 comics sooner or later.

• Thumbs Up 1

Can't say I hate them, but they're kinda forgettable in my case. I can barely remember much from the series other than characters like Kragok, Remington, and Lien-da.

It did have some awesome concepts like Enerjak, so I won't say it didn't have some decent ideas going. But given the time that has past, it hasn't made much of an impression on me. That and Ken Penders making an ass of things that led to the comic series rebooting itself has not done its reputation any favors either.

First of all a rule: let's not talk here about what Penders did later, okay? We have other topics for that.

Anyway, let me start by saying that while very flawed, I still think Pender's KtE was one of his better works (not that it's saying much). It's easy now to dismissive it, due inconsistency with games cannon (ones that didn't existed back then), some other (much stupider) stories Penders wrote (XYL, StH 150, End Game) and fact that now we have Flynn, and most of us agree that he's way better that anything we had before 160. Still, before Flynn took over, IMHO best period for Archie Sonic was around 51-75.

I understand why Penders brought back all those echidnas, and why made them 'master race', Knuckles couldn't just walk around empty island and race that own flying island must be kinda special. I liked some of the characters, like Remington, Harry, Archimedes, Lare-Le and Spectre (even if the last one is on the very shallow feeling "he's kinda like Batman"). And I found first two stories (debut of Enerjack and Dark Legion) pretty entertaining.

So what failed? For starters he really ignored what little Game Lore existed. Chaos Emerald/Master Emerald was completely forgotten and Chaotix barely had any focus on them self at all (which work on the long run, but who could have known?). But the simplest explanation is that Penders just too much fallen in his works, not realizing that they either aren't that original or don't have any payoff. "Look at the Forgotten Tribe and terrible End of Days. Ignore how obviously they are Jews or that this "great catastrophic" is just a single short earth quake." "Behold the racial struggle between dingo and echidna. Indeed it is a very complex morally conflict. That's why it will never move forward." "Be in ave watching the millennia long conflict between decedents of two brothers. Don't try to think too long about it. You might realize that Dark Legion was banned for using technology, while everyone is using it anyway. In fact, let's say it out loud and then completely ignore."

And then book got closed and thing got really stupid. Knuckles turned green, which made him evil, except not really. And Dark Legion welcomed him "to the Dark Side", but then they really decided to reform, who knows. Overall if Penders had someone standing over his shoulder... Mike Kanterovich. This guy helped Penders with his earlier stories. If he stayed on board, maybe KtE would be a decent read.

13 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

First of all a rule: let's not talk here about what Penders did later, okay? We have other topics for that.

Hey, I'll call it like I see it. :P

I will say that while I don't remember all that much, the world building that was done in Knuckles's comic was impressive given that there wasn't much to go on. It's really telling how much Knuckles broke out as a character in the comics compared to most other canons he was in, but its pacing sure dampened the potential of a lot of what it had going on. Might have made things more memorable if things were streamlined to the point more.

6 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

It's a fine sentiment, but all CSS did was acknowledge the "elephant in the room" briefly without going into detail. That shouldn't really be an issue as long as people don't go on about it, which so far they aren't. More importantly, you don't have authority to lay down "rules" in someone else's thread, so please don't talk like this. Use the report button if you're really concerned.

I dunno how many of you were around back in the day, but in the late 90s, the fandom LOVED the Knuckles comics.

I don't blame them. Frankly, the Sonic comic was starting to lose steam before Robotnik was even defeated. And when he finally was, it was obvious the writers had no idea what they were going to do next. It was clear Penders had a mythos (convoluted though it may be) planned for Knuckles, and continually built on it as the book went on. And say what you will about the execution, I think he did a good job juggling action and downtime, what with Knuckles punching demigods in the face one minute and learning how to reconnect with his mother the next. Sonic? Well, he was threatening to kill people with swords and seeing how many times he could pick a fight with a skunk. Compared to how unlikable Sonic was during this period of the book's history, Knuckles was a godsend.

TL;DR: The Knuckles comics weren't amazing, but unlike Sonic, at least it seemed like the creative team cared about what they were doing.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

It's a fine sentiment, but all CSS did was acknowledge the "elephant in the room" briefly without going into detail. That shouldn't really be an issue as long as people don't go on about it, which so far they aren't. More importantly, you don't have authority to lay down "rules" in someone else's thread, so please don't talk like this. Use the report button if you're really concerned.

Sorry, it was suggestion on my part. Will phrase it better in a future.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Knuckles comic was a mix of the usual terrible writing and some really barmy and unfitting ideas. The Mighty story was the only good thing to come out of it, and that mostly focused on elements not part of the usual Knuckles affair.