Awoo.

Marvel VS Capcom Infinite XB1/PS4/PC

Ryannumber1gamer

So, I want to break down what's specifically wrong with that "functions" statement

Ya know, Mr. Sakurai had a reason to make Smash as it is and why he chose the first 12 characters

250px-Dragon-King--The-Fighting-Game.jpg

I'm pretty sure all of you know what this is by now, it's Dragon King The Fighting Game, it looks like it would had the same fun gameplay as Smash but here's the thing, the presentation is a bore, it's basically blocky models with no personalty punching each other, if Sakurai released a game like this, very few would want to buy it, because the gameplay is the only thing going for it, it would be fun to play but a bore to watch.

That's the exciting thing about fighting games, they are character driven, Arms got a lot of hype despite pretty much having no story is because not only is the gameplay fun, but the characters are fun too, heck, none of the characters in Arms besides Biff even say a full sentence yet they have a ton of fans already

Back to Smash, when deciding the roaster for the first one he chose the characters that HAD to be there, the ones everyone knew and would get excited for, blocky guy fighting blocky guy is nowhere near as exciting as a sentence as Mario fights Kirby and ya damn well know it.

So, if people were only playing characters for "functions" than why bother making it a game where Capcom characters fight Marvel heroes in this grand story at all?

You have to gameplay and personalty to make this kind of game work, otherwise, only the elite player will give a shit, and only maybe.

CF seems like a nice guy and probably was saying that under PR pressure, but damn was that a stupid thing to say.

• Thumbs Up 3

19 hours ago, Zizou Olympia said:

250px-Dragon-King--The-Fighting-Game.jpg

I'm pretty sure all of you know what this is by now, it's Dragon King The Fighting Game, it looks like it would had the same fun gameplay as Smash but here's the thing, the presentation is a bore, it's basically blocky models with no personalty punching each other

Not that I disagree with your overall point, but that's more because the screenshot in question is a prototype - there isn't anything there to indicate the final product would look nearly that bland. Hell, judging from the dummied out material we've seen in Smash games, even they would've looked a little like that comparitively early in their lifespan:

TSEAK-NRML-SSBM.png

If I were to make an argument about the folly of functionality over form, just off the top of my head I would've used the ninjas from early Mortal Kombat games as an example.

7102283_f520.jpg

Their special moves vary enough that they each have unique ways to gain an edge, and they've gotten better about it in Netherrealm years (especially in the case of Reptile and Ermac - that's the green and red ones, respectively). But making this many characters that are literally recolours of one another? That's lazy, stupid and boring in equal order. Ideally, form and function should take equal priority, and a fighting game shouldn't have to take this many shortcuts and safe picks, especially nowadays where memory is almost a non-issue.

My standpoint on this though, is that this is nothing more than a PR excuse rather than any genuine concern with the roster - because the Xmen alone are both mechanically and visually diverse by a very wide margin, nevermind the more obscure picks like Firebrand they had over the course of MvC3. That in mind, it's hard to take the statement as anything other than cynical - and this is coming from someone whose only experience with the franchise is through occasionally watching Lythero's videos.

On 03/07/2017 at 5:22 PM, Zippo said:

You mean Marvel Entertainment. Marvel Studios and Marvel Entertainment are two separate entities at Disney. Marvel Studios head Kevin Fiege only runs the movie department. He has no say in the gaming department. Marvel Entertainment's head is a giant, corporate douchebag cheapskate known as Ike Perlmutter.  Every dumb, petty decision made by Marvel has been done under his belt.

Pretty much this. Inhumans was dropped as a movie because Fiege wasn't interested in Perlmutter's vindictive nonsense (nevermind that Inhumans as a series is a massive can of worms to work with) and didn't need a stand-in to the X-Men to make the MCU work, along with Perlmutter and the Marvel 'creative council' being so stifling to work with, so he asked Disney to give full control of Marvel Studios over to him. The gaming side of Marvel doesn't enjoy the same sort of freedom, and much like the TV side of things (and comics to a lesser extent), is being directed by Perlmutter and anyone else there who are more interested in shoving MCU characters down everyone's throats at the expense of characters still held up by Fox.

• Thumbs Up 6

That's not even the half of it, guys. Perlmutter is a complete fucking wacko. 

Here's just a partial list of his "achievements":

-Despite being a billionaire, is known as the cheapest man in Hollywood. 

-Following the Disney buyout, he had to be dragged out of out the shitty old warehouse Marvel used to be operated in because he didn't want to buy new furniture. 

-Mandated at the Iron Man premiere that every guest be handed one single soda and one bag of potato chips. No gourmet food. 

-Came to the Iron Man premiere in deguise, because he knew how much people hated him.

-Had the Fantastic Four comic cancelled and made it impossible for them to be licensed, just to spite Fox. Posters of the FF had to be removed off of the Marvel lot, lest he rip them off in a screaming rage. Which apparently happened at least once. 

-Also cancelled a majority of X Men comics and blocked them from being licensed. Once again, just to spite Fox. He's the sole reason they're not in MVCI. 

-Has a strong belief that women and minorities "Don't sell", which is why you see very little merchandise of the non white Avengers in stores. 

-Had Spectacular Spider Man and Avengers EMH cancelled just so they could make shows that were carbon copies of the movies. 

-Says every last female led superhero film pre Wonder Woman failed because they were just that, female led. 

-Many of the Avengers actors almost walked because of their incredibly low salaries, due to him refusing to pay them more. Things only changed when RDJ threatened to leave the MCU if Marvel didn't pay up. 

-Wanted RDJ thrown out of the MCU for standing up for Fiege and the rest of the cast during Civil War's production. 

And that's not even touching his close friendship with everyone's favorite president, nor how much he happily donated to his campaign. Disney head Bob Iger had finally had enough of this nonsense, so he split the Marvel heirchy into two, so Fiege would no longer have to report to Perlmutter. 

And no, I'm not making this shit up. 

These great guys cover it a lot better than I possibly could. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I swear to god,  if that guy's also behind Avenger vs X-Men and you-know-whos' stupid as all heck divorce, he may be the worst thing at Marvel since the likes of Bill Jemas and Joe Quesada.

So most of these things I already knew about him but how much pull does he have in the Comics scene? I'm curious because I've been dropping books like crazy due to prices and rather boring story telling. Like it feels like editorial is interfering hard and restraing the writers. Is this also his doing?

Edit: Fuck, he really tried to keep Iron man from fighting cap from civil war?

giphy.gif

Fuck. I need to sit down.

Jesus this guy's a piece of shit. You'd think he'd get demoted or flat out fired with all this bullshit

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, KHCast said:

Jesus this guy's a piece of shit. You'd think he'd get demoted or flat out fired with all this bullshit

Hollywood and/or corporate are weird. You fuck up in there and odds are you'll either rise or be moved into a lateral position. But in this guys case, he's probably got a lot of powerful friends to call on.

Let's also remember that he's the reason Terrence Howard got replaced by Don Cheadle because according to Perlmutter nobody would tell the difference between them. I wish I was kidding.

10 hours ago, Balding Spider said:

So most of these things I already knew about him but how much pull does he have in the Comics scene? I'm curious because I've been dropping books like crazy due to prices and rather boring story telling. Like it feels like editorial is interfering hard and restraing the writers. Is this also his doing?

Edit: Fuck, he really tried to keep Iron man from fighting cap from civil war?

giphy.gif

Fuck. I need to sit down.

He runs it all. The only people he can't say no to are Bob Iger and Alan Horn.  He gave the ok to One More Day, among many other modern classics.

6 hours ago, KHCast said:

He's Disney's highest shareholder, believe it or not. He has a lot of say in what they do. 

So how about that price drop already. literally 42 dollars now. this game is going to be a mess I think sadly :c

11 hours ago, JovahexeonJunkoJoranvexeon said:

I swear to god,  if that guy's also behind Avenger vs X-Men and you-know-whos' stupid as all heck divorce, he may be the worst thing at Marvel since the likes of Bill Jemas and Joe Quesada.

That's all him. He's been at Marvel the better part of two decades. 

5 hours ago, Balding Spider said:

Hollywood and/or corporate are weird. You fuck up in there and odds are you'll either rise or be moved into a lateral position. But in this guys case, he's probably got a lot of powerful friends to call on.

This is also true. We don't even need to bring up Tom Rothman and Amy Pascal. 

2 hours ago, Zippo said:

He runs it all. The only people he can't say no to are Bob Iger and Alan Horn.  He gave the ok to One More Day, among many other modern classics.

He's Disney's highest shareholder, believe it or not. He has a lot of say in what they do. 

Oh, so good luck getting Marvel in KH I take it.

• Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Oh, so good luck getting Marvel in KH I take it.

We're lucky we got Big Hero 6 in at all. That's all I'll say. 

• Thumbs Up 3

11 minutes ago, Zippo said:

We're lucky we got Big Hero 6 in at all. That's all I'll say. 

Did he even have say on that one? I thought it was more Disney than marvel on that decision 

18 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Did he even have say on that one? I thought it was more Disney than marvel on that decision 

That's true, but I believe he has a say on all non-movie properties pertaining to Marvel. 

Here's another taste of comedy gold for you guys:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/isaac-perlmutter-story-marvel-chairmans-918237

The only legal situation that Marvel has right now is that they can't use X-Men, FF, Silver Sufer and maybe Namor stuff in the MCU and they can't use characters that didn't belong to them anyways but incorporated them into the Marvel universe, like Godzilla

For comparison, there was legal rights issues with MVC back when Marvel Vs. Capcom Origins was released because Activison held the X-Men game rights, that's why we didn't get Children Of Atom or XMVSF despite being the things that founded the series, but still, Wolverine, Magneto, Psylock, Gambit, Juggernaut and all the assist characters were still there.

It's all pettyness over rights, Marvel is acting pretty much the same as Fox, fucking shit up when the fans would prefer a alternative just because they're bitter and greedy.

And that doesn't even explain the Capcom side, nevermind that we have RE5 Chris here, if the probable excuse is "Wesker is dead" is why he's not in, than why is Nemesis, who's been destroyed at the end of RE3,  is in the roster.

I don't mind RE5 Chris personally, much better than his RE6 counterpart imo. Nemesis being back I will say is a curious choice, especially since 6 and 7 have more current character potential honestly. Also, why the fuck is Taskmaster not back?:< he was my bae

Well the variant covers have been revealed and ....Wait that's not Spider-Man or Deadpool 

DEFxGInXcAACPMx.jpg

But hey Firebrand and Dormammu have been confirmed and there are some more focusing on characters we already know about 

DEFxoCmXsAEe8H2.jpg

DEFxopaXkAA5asC.jpg

DEFxpFTXkAEPpVh.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Firebrand and Dormammu confirmed then. This seems to support more the datamined leak, since Dormammu was completely absent from Ryce's list.

You know what? I ain't even mad, finally I have a character I know.

Yeah personally outside Chris, Rocket, Ultron and Black Panther honestly, I'm not feeling the so far confirmed characters, and if the "leak"ends up true, well dang. Makes you really appreciate 3 at least for at least some variance compared to this on both sides. That game wasn't nearly as filled as 2, but it certainly still looked like a bunch of love and effort went into it

See, even if the datamined leak is real,  we still have the bout of characters just being dlc.

And even if the datamined leak is the base roster, with folks like Black Panther confirmed as dlc,  Capcom will not have earned a pat on the back for not at least staying in par with the previous games' base roster ( each for MvC3 and UMvC3), especially with how they're reusing assets.

Not to mention that just screams cut content out of the game, something which I'm not one bit a fan of. 

• Thumbs Up 1