Awoo.

Marvel VS Capcom Infinite XB1/PS4/PC

Ryannumber1gamer

The Capcom Cup was an absolute blast. Everything about this is getting me hyped as fuck. Loving the visuals and I'm glad they're going back to 2V2. My favorite video game character of all time is in, no complaints here :)

Good to hear that some X-Men characters might be in after all. Hopefully at least Wolvie and Deadpool can get in.

Anyway, DAT GAMEPLAY. IT'S SO PRETTY. Also, unless my ears are deceiving me, it sounds like Eric Loomis from EMH might be voicing Tony again. Not 100% certain, but it'd be awesome if they kept the voices largely consistent from MvC3.

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks fun, but I wish the graphics were more similar to Street Fighter V. Right now it's kind of ugly.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Marcello said:

Looks fun, but I wish the graphics were more similar to Street Fighter V. Right now it's kind of ugly.

No thanks. Was honestly not a fan of the style from both SF4 and SF5. I much prefer what I've seen here to those. Seems like a blend to 3 with a more down to earth not as comic style 

• Thumbs Up 3

The game honestly graphically looks really flat right now, so I'm not into that but otherwise it looks cool. No assists makes me kinda tilted but I hope the faster switching makes up for it.

GameInformer has a very extended preview on it.

Infinite’s fights are fought two-on-two and without call-in assist attacks, which might make some series fans a bit skeptical. But the move didn’t occur without a lot of consideration. The team at Capcom considered the decision for a long time before settling on two-versus-two for the sake of accessibility. Although frantic combat is core to the series, Director of Production at Capcom Mike Evans wants more casual fans to be able to jump in without being overwhelmed; in Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, each player has to choose three characters from an enormous roster, then choose one of three assists for those characters. In Infinite, you’ll only have to select two characters and one Infinity Stone.

That trade comes with its upsides, even for more seasoned players. For one, you can now instantly swap in characters at any time. You can do this mid-combo, similar to Marvel Vs. Capcom 3’s Team Aerial Combos but faster, and available on the ground as well. Capcom hasn’t nailed down specifics about how often players will be able to swap characters this way, but mentioned the goal is to give combos the freeform feel and endless permutations the series is known for. Having two characters makes this system far more manageable, since players will know for sure which character they’ll be swapping into during their combo, instead of having to memorize their team order

To expand the number of options further, Capcom has removed the old “X-factor” mechanic from Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 and replaced it with six Infinity Stones. This not only hints at some of the potential plot points in the game (since the six stones are a nod to the Infinity Gauntlet), but acts as a way to customize your two-person team. The two Infinity Stones we were shown had "power" and "time" abilities. Power seems to increase the potency of each attack and could potentially offer new super abilities while active, while Time allows players to dodge moves and pull off flurries of punches and kicks, increasing combo potential. Each stone will grant one ability that can be activated at any time, and one stronger ability will be more rare (again, the team has yet to work out the specifics of how they will limit this ability). When I brought up Street Fighter V’s V-System as a potential reference point for Infinity Stones, they instead pointed me toward Capcom Vs. SNK 2’s Groove System.

Part of the reason for this new system is an attempt to even the playing field. In the Marvel Vs. Capcom competitive scene, you tend to see a core roster of characters that recur, and many other characters that are left by the wayside. In the game’s early life, some characters were chosen purely for their assist abilities, acting less like actual characters and more like tools. Capcom’s goal with Infinity Stones is for them to work like those throwaway assist characters, making up for the deficiencies of a particular team, enhancing its strong points, and acting a sort of comeback enabler. A Marvel Vs. Capcom game with a balanced roster still sounds like a tall order, but Infinity Stones will hopefully make that task easier.

When I asked them about the rumor that the game’s roster would not include as many (or any) characters from the X-Men or Fantastic Four series due film rights issues (the current film series for those franchises are owned by Fox and not Marvel Studios) and would instead favor characters already in the Marvel cinematic universe, Creative Director of Marvel Entertainment Bill Rosemann didn’t tense up the way PR folks tend to when you ask them a difficult question. While Marvel wants to take a forward-thinking stance with the characters they include in the game, he wants to make sure fans of all of Marvel properties, including X-Men, are happy. “That heritage is not lost,” he told me. Not the straight answer I was looking for, but it left me hopeful about my chances of Berserker Barraging people as Wolverine next year

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Athena Cykes said:

The game honestly graphically looks really flat right now, so I'm not into that but otherwise it looks cool. No assists makes me kinda tilted but I hope the faster switching makes up for it.

GameInformer has a very extended preview on it.

Yep, put this and the 2 new characters up on the last page.

Also they are seriously indicating that X-men and FF are still in, although I'm personally betting legacy characters only. The whole X-men/FF ban does not apply to legacy licenses(even if it took a while to renew it), and their current vision is letting developers make the best possible Marvel games they can. An example of an exempt currently producing license is Heroclix(Which makes Marvel minatures for a game that's basically chess on steroids), which is still able to make an entire X-men booster(or 2) a year, with Uncanny X-men(over 70 characters), and Deadpool and the X-forces coming up this year. Capcom has got seniority on this. I believe Doctor Doom, Rogue, Magneto,  X-23(through synergy actually she's a big up and comer in the comics, since she's now Wolverine) are safe, and they could probably get away with reviving a character from an older entry(Juggernaut anyone?). But I don't think we'll see a focus on any of them

Honestly we are way overdue for a classic Inhuman on the roster though, they've been mid-level players in the comics for years, and if we don't see at least Black Bolt, Medusa, or Crystal with the Inhumans royal family show coming up next year I'll be pretty disappointed(although Crystal with her elemental powers would be pretty sick)

On a third and final note, I really think that this is going to happen(I did not make this pic)

Z08hBQD.png

I mean, Capcom is on good terms with Nintendo, it has the hardware(and Unreal is super scalable), and the 3DS have SSFUIV as a release title. The fact this release goes multiplat in March is even more of an indicator. Also 3 was a 4 button game. and the joycons DO have shoulder buttons

28 minutes ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

Also they are seriously indicating that X-men and FF are still in, although I'm personally betting legacy characters only. The whole X-men/FF ban does not apply to legacy licenses(even if it took a while to renew it), and their current vision is letting developers make the best possible Marvel games they can. An example of an exempt currently producing license is Heroclix(Which makes Marvel minatures for a game that's basically chess on steroids), which is still able to make an entire X-men booster(or 2) a year, with Uncanny X-men(over 70 characters), and Deadpool and the X-forces coming up this year. Capcom has got seniority on this. I believe Doctor Doom, Rogue, Magneto,  X-23(through synergy actually she's a big up and comer in the comics, since she's now Wolverine) are safe, and they could probably get away with reviving a character from an older entry(Juggernaut anyone?). But I don't think we'll see a focus on any of them

There's absolutely no reason to have assumed that the X-Men and FF characters weren't going to be safe either way. That was all rumor and speculation on the part of NeoGAF going off what had been going on with the comics. However, considering the lengths that Marvel went to for getting Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch for Age of Ultron and upwards despite being big mutants (arguably two of the biggest mutants due to having Magneto as their father), and that they literally only have the film rights to the X-Men and MvC3 was released in 2011 which was after the last and worst X-Men film to date, which managed to single handedly ruin Deadpool of all characters, the X-Men, and Fantastic Four characters managed to get into it regardless of the fact.

At best, I say that we'll have a lesser number of mutant characters, not because of the nonsense that's go on with the films, but because they want to give those slots to characters who've grown in popularity over the years, and not more mutant characters. We already know Captain Marvel is getting a slot and she isn't even part of the MCU yet. At best, the Super Skrull might be gone because outside of comics, he isn't that well known a character, and the FF movie bombed. However, Doom is too much of a fan favourite, and too much of a big-bad in the Marvel universe to get removed IMO, It would be completely insane to remove Deadpool after the movie last year, and on top of that, Wolverine due to the hype built for Logan next year. All I'm saying is we shouldn't expect the mutants/FF characters to be gone because of a ban, but rather who was the most likely to be kept in due to popularity and how well known they were. 

Also, my hopes for the two characters being announced is Spidey and Phoenix Wright.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

Also, my hopes for the two characters being announced is Spidey and Phoenix Wright.

Same for moi. As well for it to be announced that BOTH will also have playable participation and active story-regarded presence in the story mode. 

Now here's something awesome from twitter for the first time in a decade a fighting game is being made INHOUSE by Capcom

Maximilian Dood ‏@maximilian_ 4m4 minutes ago
This is a big deal. Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite is the first new fighting game developed internally at Capcom in over a decade.

Maximilian Dood ‏@maximilian_ 4m4 minutes ago
Street Fighter 4, Street Fighter x Tekken, MVC3/UMVC3 and SF5 were all developed by Dimps/Eighting. MVCI is actually being made in house.

Last major one was MVC2

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's a capture for you guys EDIT: Replaced with official release

and shrug, better these 2 sooner than later they were shoe-ins after all... perhaps I'll get a prediction wishlist game going later

Cap seems to be the same voice actor from 3 (and Earth's Mightiest Heroes) and I think Iron Man's is too. Are they just reusing clips or will they change to th new voice overs (fingers crossed for Josh Keaton Spidey).

4 hours ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

Cap seems to be the same voice actor from 3 (and Earth's Mightiest Heroes) and I think Iron Man's is too. Are they just reusing clips or will they change to th new voice overs (fingers crossed for Josh Keaton Spidey).

My guess is that its the same voice actors due to the fact that there's now a story mode. Also I'm with you Josh Keaton as Spidey.

On 04/12/2016 at 9:54 AM, Marcello said:

Like Athena Cykes said, they do look awfully flat. A style more akin to SFV or MvC3 would have been far more visually pleasing but oh well.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, 11 Pawns a-Piping said:

Like Athena Cykes said, they do look awfully flat. A style more akin to SFV or MvC3 would have been far more visually pleasing but oh well.

I'm sure it'll be fixed up, although the game has been in dev for about a year and is releasing around November (probably), you can see X t-pose when he gets hit by Iron Man's Hyper. So it'll for sure get cleaned up graphically.

7 hours ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

As a veteran of 3 i can tell you these are new voice clips; during Iron Avenger there's a different line and Proton Cannon is called with a different inflation. Cap seems to be different as well, but i have to check better.

• Thumbs Up 3

Regarding Cap, I'd been hoping they would incorporate more of his "tactical" look from the recent films, and I was not disappointed. I especially like how they gave him his chin strap helmet from Winter Soldier onward.

Some random thoughts

Stylistically the game looks fantastic and it looks like they're maintaining the general fluidity and feeling of Marvel 3, which I'm happy about. Graphically, the game is in need of some polish (mostly just lighting), but I have faith in this regard since SFV saw an exponential graphical upgrade between it's initial reveal and it's release. The general game feel is what made me attached to Marvel and the fact that it looks intact here is making me positive that I'll definitely enjoy the game.

The mechanics is where I'm a little more mixed. As far as I'm seeing there's some huge risks being made here and I'm not sure if they're all going to pay off but they are exciting nonetheless.

Going from 3v3 to 2v2 is something I'm cautious about. I feel that 3v3 is something Capcom hasn't perfected yet, and going to a 2v2 style seems to be a little bit of a shame in my eyes. Having said that I do believe that Tatsunoko vs Capcom was by far a much better fighter than Marvel 3 was (a game unfairly undermined by the hardware it was forced to be on), so it can be done well - but what has me a little more mixed about the ordeal is the lack of assists. The complete lack of them, not even in the form of assist characters like MvC1, is an incredibly strange choice. For better or for worse team composition is going to matter a lot less and there will be more of a focus on learning individual characters but I still can't help feeling that removing the signature concept behind the series is something of a waste.

Even though they're marketing this as a more accessible Marvel game I'm wondering whether or not they settled on incorporating Infinity Stones from the outset. I think they might just make or break the game in this regard. It looks like a much more successful incorporation of X-Factor - the comparisons to Groove from CvS is interesting and more so it seems like a return to the roots of the series (Marvel Super Heroes notably). I'm wondering whether they tried incorporating the system into a regular 3v3 but found it to be too much of a influencing factor and decided on 2v2 after it didn't work out. If that's the case Infinite strikes me more as a risky game, and one where it's less that they wanted to make an accessible game and more that they wanted to try out a brand new idea. On paper it can be marketed as casual friendly but while the possibility of MvCI being less technologically complex exists, it seems to me that the game is far more likely to be mechanically deeper (mainly because Marvel 3 was the fighting game equivalent of a fireworks display).

Overall I'm cautiously optimistic about what the game has to offer and I'm excited to be back on the Marvel Hype train.

Also - according to some of the NeoGAF guys who leaked the existence of the game in the first place, Spencer is one of the returning characters that people know of for a fact, so I'm already content with this character selection.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok, lets start a prediction/wishlist game. So here's how it's going to go, I'm going to give you a handful of categories, pick 2 characters that fill that category, and explain why(pics are nice too) and For now focusing on the Marvel side. This can include Vets as well

So are categories are: MCU, TV(ABC+Netflix), Comic wild cards, Comic current fan faves, and well that'll do for the moment

MCU:

Ant-man/Giant-Man... do I really need to go into depth in this one

Wasp: I'm expecting comic based, but being the MCU gives her a boost, and high maneuverability, ranged attacks, flight, and a number of other things as well. And you gotta have the pair

TV MCU:

Quake: Martial Arts, Shield rep, and earthquake powers, along with being a hulk level threat make her a great canidate, with area of effect, stunning and a number of other high grade potential moves. Also the first powered female in the MCU. Also has a new comic coming up as well

Ghost Rider, easy carry over

Comic Fan-faves:

Squirrel Girl: Popular, fun character, would border on joke character but some serious potential

Devil Dinosaur: Popular, Off wall character that'd be an awesome berserker addition to the roster, and even crazier if they do the telekenitically powered pistol wielding evil version.

Comic Wild cards:

Ares: Yes the Greek Ares is around, he was also an Avenger and Dark Avenger, what makes him fun is the ability to summon any weapon in existence, and a fun counterpoint to standard heroes

1572926-ares_05.jpg

Spitfire:Vampire, Heroic Speedster, who fought along Cap in WW2, and is still around. Really unique potential, not to mention we've never had a speedster before

1f6fc73cb89ade29cce0e4b9788f4cc1.jpg

Edit: and you know you want this:

SfIrRf0.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1