Awoo.

The Last of Us Part 2 - Releasing June 19th - GAME LEAKED - BE WARNED OF SPOILERS

Ryannumber1gamer

Cyxi_ASVIAANpgC.jpg

"So Kiddo, you're really going through with this?"

Announced at PlayStation Experience tonight, The Last of Us Part II has hit early development, and will be released on the PS4. Not much was shown in the trailer other than Joel and Ellie being present in a house filled with dead bodies, likely clickers. An older Ellie is intending to hunt down a group of people, and that's all we know as of right now. 

"I can't tell you how satisfying it is to finally be able to say that Ellie and Joel are back for another intense, harrowing, and emotional adventure. Like many of you, we have a deep love for the world of The Last of Us and its characters, and while a sequel may have seemed like a foregone conclusion, that wasn't the case. We knew that it needed to be a story worth telling and, perhaps more importantly, a story worthy of Joel and Ellie. After spending years on different ideas (and almost giving up), we finally uncovered a story that felt special--a story that evolved into an epic journey.

It’s still early days for the project—the game’s release is a ways off—but we couldn’t wait any longer to give you a glimpse of what’s to come. We’re going to let the trailer speak for itself, but expect more information about The Last of Us Part II in the coming months.

Here's the trailer: 

Ellie is the star of TLOU 2.

Creative director, Neil Druckmann PlayStation Blog post:

"I can't tell you how satisfying it is to finally be able to say that Ellie and Joel are back for another intense, harrowing, and emotional adventure. Like many of you, we have a deep love for the world of The Last of Us and its characters, and while a sequel may have seemed like a foregone conclusion, that wasn't the case. We knew that it needed to be a story worth telling and, perhaps more importantly, a story worthy of Joel and Ellie. After spending years on different ideas (and almost giving up), we finally uncovered a story that felt special--a story that evolved into an epic journey.

It’s still early days for the project—the game’s release is a ways off—but we couldn’t wait any longer to give you a glimpse of what’s to come. We’re going to let the trailer speak for itself, but expect more information about The Last of Us Part II in the coming months.

Epic! Looks stunning.

Cyxi_ASVIAANpgC.jpg

xpridq1ihwzh4wzmavid.png

va7pqmilcc5f8oet2w5e.png

CyyJN1BWgAACQvr.jpg

If they kill-off Joel I'll never forgive NaughtyDog :P

• Thumbs Up 1

They just did a Q&A with Neil Druckmann, Ashley Johnson & Troy Baker on PlayStation Exp

The only thing they confirmed is that Ellie (who is now 19 years old) is indeed the star of TLOU part II and Gustavo Santaolalla who composed the soundtrack for the first game is returning for the second one.

Whenever this releases, 2018 or 2019? I am so looking forward to this game!

Pretty cool stuff.  While a part of me is slightly disappointed they didn't leave Joel and Ellie's story as perfectly wrapped up as it was like they said they would, I am totally willing to put faith in them telling another great story with them.  The fact that they've called it "Part II" is interesting though, it suggests they think this story they've found is so important to the characters that a player will have had an incomplete experience if they don't play the "second part".  I hope it lives up to that idea.

I wonder what the fireflies did to Ellie to make her seek revenge like this... Since this is 4 to 5 years later (she's was 14 during the first game), it's possible that she created new bonds. Unless...

Spoiler

..the fireflies actually killed Joel, and she's just hallucinating o.O Especially because Joel doesn't look older (watch the trailer in 4K, his hair and beard do not look gray), so she's imagining her "ideal" version of him.

Don't quote me on this one in 2018!

2 hours ago, Jango said:

I wonder what the fireflies did to Ellie to make her seek revenge like this... Since this is 4 to 5 years later (she's was 14 during the first game), it's possible that she created new bonds. Unless...

Hide contents

..the fireflies actually killed Joel, and she's just hallucinating o.O Especially because Joel doesn't look older (watch the trailer in 4K, his hair and beard do not look gray), so she's imagining her "ideal" version of him.

Don't quote me on this one in 2018!

I really hope that isn't the twist. It'd be great for motivational reasons, but a huge part of the original TLaU was the connection and interactions of Joel and Ellie, and it'd kind of suck big time to discover that Joel was dead before the game even begins. On top of that, I doubt the hint counts when you need full 4K resolution to watch it. We didn't get that good a look at Joel to really determine if he's grown older or not.

Personally,

Spoiler

I think the twist will be The Fireflies attacking Tommy's camp in revenge for the end of the first game, and possibly kill Tommy and the other people there. Joel and Ellie manage to escape and set up camp in this house. Ellie, feeling extremely vengeful and at blame for the attack because she's the reason the fireflies attacked will want to hunt down the entire group and ensure they can't hurt anyone again.

• Thumbs Up 2

Regarding the scene in the trailer. I gonna hazard a guess and say it takes place in the middle of the game or towards the end. The notion that the Fireflies have taken revenge against Tommy and the other people living near the damn seems way too obvious/predictable for a plot point. Joel didn't even sound angry in the trailer. If the Fireflies have killed Tommy then you'd think Joel would be raging and out for revenge even more than Ellie.

The location in the trailer features a number of houses but nothing implies this is where Tommy, his wife, Joel and Ellie were staying. We know the Fireflies visited the house because their "mark" is on the mail box. For all we know the dead bodies in the trailer could be a combination of Fireflies and people who were living there. What if one of the people living at the house was immune to the cordyceps fungus like Ellie and has been kidnapped by the Fireflies (and their friends slaughtered). Hence, Ellie wants to take them down. After Joel killed Marlene at the end of the first game I think this would have thrown the Fireflies in disarray. Perhaps (what's left of them) are now just out for revenge and have lost all sense of purpose.

Here's some more screenshots:

screen_tlou2_teaser_01_1480798836

screen_tlou2_teaser_02_1480798839

screen_tlou2_teaser_03_1480798842

screen_tlou2_teaser_04_1480798845

Image result for the last of us part ii screenshots

I also find it interesting that the new game is called "TLOU part II" instead of TLOU 2. Makes it sound like the story of TLOU is incomplete.

I also think it doesn't have anything to do with Tommy/Maria getting killed, otherwise Joel would not even ask about "going through with this". But Ellie is speaking of killing the fireflies, none of the corpses on the ground look infected. Also, she has what looks like ANOTHER bite, now on her neck :o

Anyways, it's likely that the fireflies killed someone dear to them, she's just more emotional than Joel. Even when Tess is killed, Joel isn't too moved emotionaly. We only see him really angry when something happened to Ellie.

Also, #bringbackbill !

Well, I think one of the big things to keep in mind is that Joel's lived over twenty years in this world, and as mentioned didn't even have a huge reaction to Tess' death in the original despite the fact they were partners for years. While Joel would be pissed, and likely take down some of the fireflies attacking, his first instinct would be getting Ellie and maybe Tommy and his wife out safely. Maybe midway through, Ellie is about to be killed and Tommy is forced to give his own life to save her, and because of his death, Tommy's wife breaks down and causes her to get caught too. So while Joel would be pissed, he'd realize it'd get both him and Ellie killed if they were to try take revenge then and there and they escape.

It would explain why Ellie is far more emotionally invested. Her being alive costed the lives of two of her close friends, not to mention the lives lost in the journey to get her to the fireflies which to her knowledge was all for nothing. Joel knows the truth of what happened, but Ellie doesn't, so from her perspective, it would be the fireflies constantly chasing after her for nothing, and killing all around her for bullshit reasons. It's understandable why she'd want to go after the fireflies after all of that.

Also no offence, but one of the big reasons I wouldn't want the twist to be Joel's death and he's just a ghost is that it's just so cliche at this point. The Walking Dead already did the substitute parent of the girl getting killed meaning the girl has no choice but to survive on her own, and Batman Arkham Knight already did the whole ghost back for haunting plot. That specific plot point is over 15 years old at this point. I expect a lot better than tired cliches at Naughty Dog, and again it would feel like removing one of the biggest reasons TLaU 1 worked so well just for shock value.

Following this up isnt going to be easy especially from a storytelling perspective.

I never played the last of us but seeing playthroughs shown me how good the storytelling is in this game.

I intend to get the last of us sooner or later as it is a fantastic looking game from all points

9 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

Following this up isnt going to be easy especially from a storytelling perspective.

I never played the last of us but seeing playthroughs shown me how good the storytelling is in this game.

I intend to get the last of us sooner or later as it is a fantastic looking game from all points

I don't know. TLaU was crafted extremely well, but assuming you've seen the ending, it was ended pretty open endedly. It finished the plot set up in that game, but left just enough questions and uncertainty that a second game can pick up where it left off and not have too many issues.

Well yes it was open ended, but at the same time you wonder if a good follow up can happen.

One must treat a sequel with care and personally I see the last of us more like a movie then a game due to how good the writing was in it.

But you know the rule about horror movies, the original is great but the sequel however... well that can vary.

Alien Isolation will have a similar issue

Just now, MadmanRB said:

Well yes it was open ended, but at the same time you wonder if a good follow up can happen.

One must treat a sequel with care and personally I see the last of us more like a movie then a game due to how good the writing was in it.

But you know the rule about horror movies, the original is great the sequel however... well that can vary.

Keep in mind though, this is Naughty Dog, who are practically world-famous for their sequels improving on the originals. Compare Crash 3 to Crash 1, or Jak 1 to Jak 2 (Which is debatable depending on your Platforming preference) and of course compare Uncharted 2 to Uncharted 1. 

True, though i actually never played any naughty dog game personally.

Been out of the loop on console gaming for over a decade.

• 10 months later...

New TLOU Part 2 trailer has been released. 

It's pretty brutal. 

Looks like all new characters.

"apostate"

a person who renounces a religious or political belief or principle.

• 1 month later...

PSX 2017 Cast interview:

https://www.dualshockers.com/the-last-of-us-part-2-cast-seattle/

Game Director Neil Druckmann, Co-Writer Halley Gross, and voices of Ellie and Joel Ashley Johnson and Troy Baker were on stage from the beginning of the panel; Druckmann kicked the discussion off by mentioning that “no one is safe” in The Last of Us Part II, and that includes Ellie and Joel themselves.

Just before that, Johnson and Baker performed a very special song,

Gross (co-writer along with Druckmann) who wrote mostly for Television before starting on the game, mentioned that writing for The Last of Us Part II is “daunting” as a fan of the series. Interestingly, Druckmann dropped a cryptic hint, saying that after the first day on the job, Gross went home and told her husband “I think I got someone pregnant.” I have no idea of what that means, but you can try and interpret it. I know you will.

About the trailer from Paris games week (that got some pundits screaming in indignation due to its perfectly fitting violence), we saw the introduction of new members of the cast that play the new characters that appeared in it. Ian Alexander plays Lev, Victoria Grace plays Yara, and Laura Bailey plays the unnamed character that was getting hanged.

For both Alexander and Grace, this is the first time doing performance capture and stunts for a video game. Lev and Yara are siblings, and the in-game models of the characters are a blend of the features of both actors to convey that idea. Yara is sixteen years old and Lev is thirteen years old.

While the game will indeed be dark, with a story about hate, Druckmann did note "there is hope, there are lighthearted moments" in The Last of Us, Part II. Speaking about the trailer revelled at Paris Games weel, he highlighted how it lends to the game's exploration of the pursuit of justice, and the good, bad, and gray areas that are a part of that.

With regard to the game's setting, Druckmann confirmed, as suspected a large portion of it takes place in Seattle. He also gave a rough estimate of Naughty Dog's progress on the game, saying, "we've handed off a bunch of levels.... We're like 50 to 60 percent? I don't know how far."

As far as when fans will get a new look at the game, Druckmann confirmed footage will be shown at E3 2018.

• 2 months later...

May as well post this here:

Neil Druckmann is now vice-president of Naughty Dog. He's of course still the Creative Director of TLOU Part II. Da boy done gud.

https://www.naughtydog.com/blog/studio_update_neil_druckmann_the_last_of_us_part_II

They've also announced that Anthony Newman & Kurt Margenau are the joint Game Directors of TLOU Part II.

• 3 months later...

The gameplay trailer from E3:

Looks amazing.

The combat looks better and looks like there's more ammo/items to craft this time.

DfdBiy7VAAA0JP-.jpg

I WANT THIS GAME :D

• Thumbs Up 2

Don't you hate when you kiss a girl and have flashbacks of murdering a bunch of people?

Heck. This is insanity.

• 1 year later...

Todays footage:

21/2/2020 release date confirmed.

Spoiler

Yay Tommy & Joel are still alive! Doesn't look like the girl who kissed Ellie was so lucky...

This is gonna be a big game, according to Reddit, it'll be one of the few PS4 games with a install disc and play disc. That or the special edition will have a bonus with with additional content.