Awoo.

The Last of Us Part 2 - Releasing June 19th - GAME LEAKED - BE WARNED OF SPOILERS

Ryannumber1gamer

Dang, I'll have to clean up some space on my hard drive for that beauty. Day 1 for sure. I guess RDR2 will go bye-bye by then.

I'm glad the trailer didn't releaved much.

Neil Druckmann PS Blog

There are four different editions...

The Last of Us Part II - Standard Edition

The Last of Us Part II - Special Edition

The Last of Us Part II - Collector's Edition

The Last of Us Part II - Digital Deluxe Edition

The collectors edition looks tempting.

Also, journalists will be revealling hands-on impressions on 26/9. 

Thank you for being patient with us. Very patient. Even though we’ve been eager to share more about The Last of Us Part II and tell you its release date, we wanted to wait until we were close to wrapping up production and we were confident in the date itself. We have a bunch of new stuff to share with you today… starting with the fact that on February 21, 2020 the Last of Us Part II can finally be in your hands.

We began working on this game over five years ago. It’s hard to describe the immense pressure of following up the first game. We know how much you love this world and its characters — especially Ellie and Joel. Believe me, we’re fans as well. We love them. Which is why we spent years crafting a game that we feel will do them justice, telling a nuanced story that deals with the core question: how far would you go to exact justice against the people that hurt the ones you love? It’s a highly emotional story with complex themes that befit the world of The Last of Us. What we realized pretty early on is that we were putting together Naughty Dog’s most ambitious and longest game in our 35 year history. To tell this kind of story the game needed to be massive. Without spoiling too much, at the top of this post you can watch the brand-new trailer that we debuted earlier today on State of Play, which just scratches the surface of what the game has in store.

Alongside the trailer, we’re thrilled to reveal the various editions of the game, including The Last of Us Part II Standard Edition ($59.99 USD MSRP/ $79.99 CAD MSRP), Special Edition ($79.99 USD MSRP/ $99.99 CAD MSRP), Digital Deluxe Edition, Collector’s Edition, and Ellie Edition. In collaboration with PlayStation, we worked hard to make sure these versions would be truly special by including content and items drawn from the game and its characters.

Let’s kick things off with the Collector’s Edition ($169.99 USD MSRP/ $219.99 CAD MSRP), which includes a beautifully crafted 12” Ellie statue, a life-sized replica of Ellie’s bracelet, a custom SteelBook case, 48-page mini art book from Dark Horse, a set of six enamel pins, lithograph art print, and a set of five stickers. The Collector’s Edition also comes with a voucher for digital content, including a PS4 dynamic theme, a set of six PSN avatars, a digital soundtrack, and a digital version of the mini art book.

The Ellie Edition ($229.99 USD MSRP/ $299.99 CAD MSRP) gives you all of the contents of the Collector’s Edition, plus a full-sized, fully functional recreation of Ellie’s backpack, an embroidered patch, and a 7” vinyl record featuring music from the original soundtrack. We’ll also have a Special Edition version that features the custom SteelBook case and all of the digital content found in the Ellie Edition and Collector’s Edition.

For those that prefer to go digital, we have the Digital Deluxe Edition ($69.99 USD MSRP/ $109.99 CAD MSRP), which includes all of the digital content outlined above, as well as a digital copy of the Standard Edition. If you pre-order either of these versions on PlayStation Store, you’ll instantly receive a The Last of Us Part II PSN avatar featuring Ellie’s tattoo. Additionally, if you pre-order any edition of the game, you’ll also receive two in-game unlocks at launch:

Ammo Capacity Upgrade: Instantly unlock an ammo capacity upgrade for Ellie’s pistol.

Crafting Training Manual: Instantly unlock the Crafting Training Manual, which provides access to new crafting recipes and upgrades.

Hold on. We’re not done. Today, journalists from all over the world are going hands-on with two new levels at a press event in Los Angeles–playing roughly three hours of the game! Thankfully, you won’t have to wait long to see and hear more about it. Their impressions and videos will be going live this Thursday, September 26 around 8:00am PT, or, as many fans of The Last of Us know it: Outbreak Day.

Inspired by the day the cordyceps fungus reached critical mass, every September 26 we celebrate The Last of Us community and we’ve got some exciting things planned! Be sure to check back here and follow Naughty Dog on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram for all the latest.

You are now months away from playing The Last of Us Part II. Your love for our games inspires and fuels us as we work hard and deliver an experience worthy of our fans. We are extremely proud of the game we’re crafting and cannot wait to share it with y’all.

Until then, endure and survive!

Doesn't look thaaaat lame. But a Joel+Ellie combo would be nicer. Definitely makes it look like a horror game (which kinda is.. I mean, fuck those clickers).

The embargo has been lifted. Hands-on impressions aplenty.

Ellie can now crawl and jump (you couldn't do either in the first game). You can dodge enemies and create silencers for pistols. Oh and the most annoying enemy...are naughty dogs which can find Ellie even if she's well hidden by tracking her scent...

Also, plenty of new scary enemies.

This game looks fucking georgeous.

PS Blog:

Ellie’s story continues in The Last of Us Part II, and I had a lucky opportunity to reunite with her at a recent hands-on preview event. The demo revealed copious gameplay details, from Ellie’s improved mobility to new threats ranging from guard dogs to new evolutions of the infected. It also yielded a peek at the stunning visual enhancements Naughty Dog brings to the anticipated follow-up.

The early portion of the demo features heartfelt story moments between Ellie and her companion, Dina. Ellie was already a multifaceted protagonist in the previous game, but she’s now nineteen and her age shows in the depth of her character. She and Dina exchange playful teases, search each other’s eyes for signals, and dance around the topic of former lovers. My favorite moment between the two occurs when they enjoy a beautiful view of the Wyoming wilderness, and Ellie quietly curses to herself when she realizes she flubbed an opportunity to make a move. Moments like these showcase Ellie’s tenderness and vulnerability, and remind us of the little girl Joel fought to protect.

The second half of the demo further showcases Ellie’s violent side, and the lengths she’ll go to exact justice on those who hurt her loved ones. She faces a group of xenophobic survivors in Seattle who have captured Joel’s brother, Tommy. Ellie ventures into enemy territory to rescue him. Naughty Dog has gone through great lengths to convey that these enemies are people with lives and loved ones, not one-dimensional threats. Normally, sniping an enemy with a bow and arrow from considerable distance would come with some pride and relief. In The Last of Us Part II, it might be met by the shrieks of your victim’s loved ones yelling the deceased’s name in grief. Violence is sometimes necessary to survive and endure in this world, but it constantly weighed on my conscience.

Read on for an overview of the hands-on demo’s content and key gameplay details:

● Patrol – The first section of the preview I played was set within the snowy, abandoned towns surrounding the survivors’ hometown of Jackson, Wyoming. Snow crunches satisfyingly underfoot and fierce winds make patterns across its surface.

● A Day in Ellie’s Life – Ellie’s main job is to patrol the area surrounding Jackson. Early in the game she rides horseback through the shattered, abandoned buildings in the wooded expanse, where she and Dina check for signs of deadly infected, dangerous marauders, or survivors.

● Suburbs – The second section takes place in what remains of Seattle, Washington’s Hillcrest neighborhood. The series’ iconic overgrown aesthetic is well represented with lush, green tree canopies shading a broken town road. Impressively rendered mist hangs heavily over the area and completes its authentic Pacific Northwest atmosphere.

● Meticulous Detail – Naughty Dog elevates the visual fidelity of this grounded world to new heights. Your horse’s muscles flex and jiggle as it gallops. Tall grass ripples and tree bows flex with the wind. Ellie contorts her face in intense focus as she silently takes down enemies. Upgrading weapons at a workbench rewards you with strikingly detailed animations like swapping out a shotgun’s magazine. The authenticity is astounding.

● Jump – Ellie is more limber than Joel ever was. Players can now jump to reach higher vantage points or cross small gaps. Don’t expect to pounce hapless victims like an assassin, but look forward to expanded freedom and new opportunities for traversal.

● Dodge – One of Ellie’s most potent new abilities allows her to dodge incoming close-quarters attacks. Step out of the way of survivors’ axe swings or slashing Runners with a quick button tap. Dodging was especially handy when evading surprise Stalker attacks. The new feature feels satisfyingly empowering, but also necessary considering how enemies seem smarter and harder to predict.

● Crawl – Hit the deck! Ellie can now drop to the ground by holding Circle. This is useful for quickly breaking line of sight with enemies, crawling through small passages, or keeping a low profile. The latter stealthy application is invaluable. Slinking through tall grass to get the drop on passing enemies and evading pursuers is critical with The Last of Us Part II’s new analog stealth system. Hiding yourself in plain sight among the tallgrass is simultaneously liberating and harrowing, as blowing your cover could mean being fully exposed.

● Guard Dogs – …but don’t get too comfortable crawling through the grass. Trained guard dogs are on patrol, which can follow your scent and chew up your well-laid plans. Activate Listen Mode to see your scent trail. Be careful when you take out a dog’s handler, though, because solo canines are difficult to spot in the tall grass without their master walking next to them. Getting jumped by a dog is not only nerve-racking and dangerous, it presents players with the moral choice of whether they flee or take it out. Naughty Dog confirms that you don’t have to kill these animals to progress, and personally… based on my heavy heart following the demo you’re better off evading them.

Ellie confronts a Clicker.

● New Infected Revealed – Shamblers are horrifying, walking pustule-clusters that spray gaseous acid when they get near you and take a ton of damage. Once defeated, these festering threats explode with violent force. They’re faster than they look and are awful to look at. Proceed with caution.

● Expanded Abilities – Supplements can still be collected to unlock abilities. New to The Last of Us Part II, players can choose from multiple skill upgrade paths to customize Ellie to their playstyle and we got to see just some of these in action. Survival focuses on improving health, expanding Listen Mode’s range, and throw distance. Crafting lets her create melee upgrades, add smoke to stun bombs, and increase her crafting speed. Stealth improves prone movement speed, speeds up stealth kills, and unlocks pistol silencers. I love the newfound choice to evolve Ellie’s capabilities to my playstyle (Stealth worked great for me!)

● Silencers – Canisters are a new crafting material that let Ellie attach handmade suppressors to her semi-automatic pistol. This makes her next three shots dead silent, expanding Ellie’s strategic options in the field. As a stealth-focused player, I found great relief upgrading my silencer’s durability.

This hard-hitting sequel takes the core gameplay of the original and expands players’ tactical options at every turn. New threats and smarter enemies elevate the challenge to meet Ellie’s enhanced range of abilities, so you’ll need to learn new tricks to survive in an unforgiving world. The weight of my violent actions in the demo stuck with me just as long as my awe at the jaw-dropping world Naughty Dog is creating. Discover what the future holds for an older, wiser, and more dangerous Ellie when The Last of Us Part II comes to PS4 and PS4 Pro February 21, 2020.

The Last of Us Part II

The Last of Us Part II

The Last of Us Part II

The Last of Us Part II

The original TLoU pushed the PS3 to it's absolute limits. With PS5 on the verge of announcement, I fully expect TLoU2 to be this for the PS4.

I know the PS4 is a good hardware, but sometimes I have my doubts if everything we're seeing is actually coming from a PS4 and not a PS5 dev-kit of sorts. It's obvious that this game will be cross-gen, neverthless. Sony wouldn't miss that chance. But if it looks THIS good on a PS4, imagine on a PS5...

3 hours ago, TheOcelot said:

Your horse’s muscles flex and jiggle as it gallops.

But do their testicles shrink?

1 hour ago, Jango said:

I know the PS4 is a good hardware, but sometimes I have my doubts if everything we're seeing is actually coming from a PS4 and not a PS5 dev-kit of sorts. It's obvious that this game will be cross-gen, neverthless. Sony wouldn't miss that chance. But if it looks THIS good on a PS4, imagine on a PS5...

I heavily doubt it'll happen, because the "remastered" era of gaming is probably gonna die out very soon. PS4 and Xbox One got away with it on the fact PS3/360 titles weren't backwards compatible until later.

PS5 at the very least is confirmed to not only be backwards compatible with every PS4 title, but it will enhance them as well. The tests at the moment showed Spider-Man PS4's usually long load times being loaded within 1-2 seconds on PS5 dev kits.

If every PS4 game is compatible, not a lot of people is gonna buy enhanced or remastered versions of games without some proper polish to make it actually worth buying. 

• 4 weeks later...

New release date of May 29th...

PlayStation blog post:

Let me cut to the chase and get the news out of the way. The Last of Us Part II has a new release date of May 29, 2020.

I know. It was just about a month ago when we had our big blowout for the game, letting media play over two hours of it along with debuting our new story trailer and revealing the release date. The positive response we saw from our community was overwhelming. You can feel the energy among the team members. After working on something for so many years, it’s invigorating to get a glimpse of validation for all the hard work.

However, it was during the last few weeks, as we were closing out sections of the game, that we realized we simply didn’t have enough time to bring the entire game up to a level of polish we would call Naughty Dog quality. At this point we were faced with two options: compromise parts of the game or get more time. We went with the latter, and this new release date allows us to finish everything to our level of satisfaction while also reducing stress on the team.

While we’re relieved that we won’t have to compromise our vision, we’re disappointed that we weren’t able to avoid this exact situation. We wish we could’ve foreseen the amount of polish we needed, but the size and scope of this game got the better of us. We hate disappointing our fans and for that we’re sorry.

We hope you understand that this additional time ensures that The Last of Us Part II lives up to our collective ambition as well as our commitment to the highest level of quality. We know the extra few months will add to what may already be an excruciating wait for all of us. We are grateful for your patience and continued support. Come next May, you will finally rejoin Ellie in The Last of Us Part II.

-Neil

• 6 months later...

Important PSA - there was a gameplay video leaked onto the internet that’s contains huge plot spoilers, so be careful and mindful of them. They’re probably gonna be spreading around YouTube like wildfire.

• Absolutely 1

Sony: It's impossible for us to release this game at all functionally ever in this current climate.

Other publishers of equivalent AAA games, one of which is a far bigger deal than TLoU 2: *release games with minor logistics changes to offset potential delays*

Sony: Yep. Impossible.

Naughty Dog developer, faced with something they worked on for over half a decade delayed indefinitely for no discernible reason: Fuck you. *leaks game plot and ending*

1/2 of Twitter: Wow, this story is fucking awful.

Sony: Miraculously, we have just discovered how to release this game only a few weeks later than our original date.

• Chuckle 5

29 minutes ago, Tornado said:

Naughty Dog developer, faced with something they worked on for over half a decade delayed indefinitely for no discernible reason: Fuck you. *leaks game plot and ending*

Wait, it was a dev who leaked the game? I just heard something about the leak coming from Brazil.

I THINK it could've been someone who was playtesting the game? People are assuming he's brazilian because apparently the leaked gameplay had the dub / subtittles set to brazilian portuguese. I can't confirm because I didn't saw it.

The leaked footage indicates that it comes from Brazil and turkey. it was likely people in the localization process and not naughty dog proper

This entire situation has me not feeling bad for Naughty Dog at all regardless of the origin of the leak. Something shitty was gonna happen regarding that company given what’s been coming out about them lately. (Unless you’re of the opinion all that is just fake rumors made up by Sony haters, which lol.) Frankly, this feels like them getting off easy, since I really doubt this will effect their sales. KH3 got leaked similarly and broke sales records. Only people this legitimately has me somewhat sympathetic for is fans that have been waiting for years for this. Even then, I’d say this isn’t the end of the world. 

Edit: Oh and the actual devs of the game. Not the higher ups, or the conglomerate company itself. Though wouldn’t be surprised if some of the staff are dl finding this therapeutic. They get hourly pay/a fixed amount, so outside artistic pride, this at least won’t actually fuck over staff anymore than they get. Plus, as we’ve seen with EA and Activision, being successful and making tons of money off a game doesn’t guarantee the staff is safe or that they see any of that wealth, so even if the leaks hurt the sales, that worry is even less of a massive concern to me because of that

Yes, but what this guy did was trying to fix a mistake with another mistake. That didn't solved anything, and if Naughty Dog and him really had any money dispute, he can forget getting any cent now, or work at the industry for that matter. Nobody wants to work like crazy and not get paid right, I know, I've been there, but his "solution" was immature and unethical. There's better ways to get back at them, the working laws will always be on the employee's side. But I guess he didn't wanted money after all, he just wanted to have his little revenge and get some attention 🤷‍♂️

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Jango said:

Yes, but what this guy did was trying to fix a mistake with another mistake. That didn't solved anything, and if Naughty Dog and him really had any money dispute, he can forget getting any cent now, or work at the industry for that matter. Nobody wants to work like crazy and not get paid right, I know, I've been there, but his "solution" was immature and unethical. There's better ways to get back at them. 

I think it should be obvious that everyone is in the wrong and the initial problem that sparked the latter shouldn't have happened. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I've seen a lot of hype around this game. I never played the first one. Is it worth playing through the first one and then Part 2? Or should I just go straight into Part 2?

I think honestly, while this is the biggest blow to the game, it's been coming for a long time. Sony and Naughty Dog have been severely mishandling how they treat the game. Not only the fact that it's a highly anticipated sequel to one of the best story-driven games of the previous decade, but the marketing has been awful with only a few press events to see playable parts of the game, we know about as much about the game as we did in the last two years (Namely that Ellie is hunting the fireflies, and that one scene where she was shown in a relationship, etc). 

And then when we get to the first release date, it's held back for months on end. Then the stories come out about severe crunching at Naughty Dog, even after a four month delay. But then the COVID-19 crisis comes up and Sony just decides to indefinitely hold the game because they're so greedy, they're relying hard on Physical sales.

It's fucking obvious the game is done, and the game is ready to go. And that has two bad effects - for starters - if Sony just randomly decided to indefinitely hold the game, that has just completely made all the crunch time at Naughty Dog absolutely meaningless, because for however many months Sony was intending to delay the game due to the COVID-19 pandemic, that would have been additional development time for Naughty Dog, but doing so has just made their audiences' anticipation turn to scorn, as they get sick and sick of waiting for a "legendary" sequel.

There's even evidence of this, Sony went as far as cancelling digital pre-orders for the game. Why would they go as far as doing this if the game was only gonna be delayed by an extra month, if even that? It's obvious to me that Sony were fully intent on holding the game off until the crisis blew over and they could get physical sales.

In that case, this is the only benefit that this scandal has had. It's the only reason people are getting this game in June. Sony are backpedalling hard now, not only due to the leaks, but the severe backlash that's happening that's causing people to cancel their pre-orders due to the story spoilers appearing to be absolutely dreadful. This isn't just hitting them as a normal leak, this is a leak of their next massive title that only happened as a result of their own delays, and now they have little choice but to give it up and release to try turn a profit. 

Even the June release date is a half-measure. I'm nearly 100% fucking certain Sony have the game and could just release it on the original release date, but it's just randomly June now, which is a terrible decision, since it's going to be causing TLoU2 and Ghosts to become direct competition for one another with a month between them. The only explanation I can remotely think of is that Sony are still trying their hand by stalling the release out til June and foolishly hoping the COVID-19 crisis blows over enough that the physical sales won't be affected.

2 minutes ago, Stritix said:

I've seen a lot of hype around this game. I never played the first one. Is it worth playing through the first one and then Part 2? Or should I just go straight into Part 2?

Get Part 1. It's usually sold very cheaply now, especially whenever Sony runs a sale on it. Part 2 from the reactions to the spoilers isn't going to hold any kind of water towards the original.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, Nina Cortex Jovahexeon said:

I think it should be obvious that everyone is in the wrong and the initial problem that sparked the latter shouldn't have happened. 

Doesn't matter who "started it", we're not anyone's mother. Both sides faulted, but what the former employee did was as wrong, if not more, because we know he acted for revenge. He could've left on top of this whole situation if he were smart, but with his actions, he's lost all credibility.

9 minutes ago, Jango said:

Both sides faulted, but what the former employee did was as wrong, if not more

More wrong than severe crunch on employees huh. Imagine having that take. Employers physically and mentally abusing/draining staff i’d place slightly above leaking a video game in terms of severity

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, KHCast said:

More wrong than severe crunch on employees huh. Imagine having that take.

I'll ignore the fact that you quoted only 1/3 of my post and switch to another question: how old are you and have you ever had job in a company before? Because to me, it sounds like you're just playing yes-man.

1 minute ago, Jango said:

I'll ignore the fact that you quoted only 1/3 of my post and switch to another question: how old are you and have you ever had job in a company before? Because to me, it sounds like you're just playing yes-man.

Never said it wasn’t “wrong” what he did. Legally sure, naughty dog could have the law on their side. In every other way that you look at tho, in terms of what’s shittier, you’d have to really be bootlicking Sony to try and argue that leaking a video game is somehow worse than a company abusing their staff. I don’t care that “he could have taken the better path”, what he did is “wrong” yes, but is not worse than the other aide, aka ND fucking over employees.

Neither did I. They're both wrong, but things aren't as black and white as you're implying. And if you're gonna drag stupid arguments like "you have to be bootlicking X to be siding with them" into this discussion, I'll just skim through it.