Awoo.

The Last of Us Part 2 - Releasing June 19th - GAME LEAKED - BE WARNED OF SPOILERS

Ryannumber1gamer

From the Wikipedia page, it sounds like they maybe fired one of the voice actors (the guy who originally was originally cast as Nathan's brother and narrated the original trailer) for his ties to Hennig after she left and/or was fired (different news sources I checked have said different things for whether they recast him after he started working with Hennig again at EA, or he took the management team getting replaced as a chance to nullify his contract), they alienated another voice actor with all the changes they were making until he left the project, and they got rid of people they had brought in for focus testing who criticized the story elements of the game that they had specifically changed from the original ideas. Plus whether or not you believe the company line about Hennig and Richmond leaving on their own volition vs being forced out of the company that was initially reported.

None of it is proof of anything, but when combined with the general "if people quit, they quit" attrition rates that the company still does in response to the development atmosphere it makes the whole company seem rather Randy Pitchford-y.

• Thumbs Up 1

And yet, it not being from a inside source doing it as protest really doesn’t matter now long term does it. We have factual accounts from ND staff about what working conditions are like, and high turnover to back those claims. If this results in ND needing to damage control at all, or release the game earlier, this is a ultimate W for the working class there. Jason keeps trying to fucking spin all this outrage as made up and unreasonable, and it’s pretty obvious it’s because he didn’t get people coming to him about this initially.

• Thumbs Up 1

I read Sony are coming after channels now that are simply just discussing the spoilers. Even without showing ANY audio and/or video.

A bit harsh I think. 

7 hours ago, Eurisko said:

I read Sony are coming after channels now that are simply just discussing the spoilers. Even without showing ANY audio and/or video.

A bit harsh I think. 

It's Sony. They tend to do fucked up tactics like thar unfortunately. 

I don't really know what to think of this. It happens a lot in the gaming industry unfortunately

3 minutes ago, TheOcelot said:

New trailer:

This game looks so awesome.

Spoiler

Before I go further - this is about the leaked spoilers

This frustrates me more than anything. Seeing any awesome trailer with Ellie only to know what comes in the later half of the game feels like salt to the wound, frankly.

The comments are turned off on the trailer. That doesn't bode well for that leak does it :( The trailer looks really good but the leaks man.... never had this much of a problem with a game before launch.

Unsettling trailer. Just, wow. BTW, that's Marlene voice at the end. But Joel shoot her in the head.... how?!

Regarding the leaks, loads of people are complaining because the game is "too progressive" and usually that means the online gaming community who are 50 degrees to the right are mad that black people and women are in it.

So do the leaks for Last of Us 2 make the game look actually bad narratively, or is it just that it has people in it that certain people online don't like?

21 minutes ago, Plasme said:

Regarding the leaks, loads of people are complaining because the game is "too progressive" and usually that means the online gaming community who are 50 degrees to the right are mad that black people and women are in it.

So do the leaks for Last of Us 2 make the game look actually bad narratively, or is it just that it has people in it that certain people online don't like?

Both.

Having to wade through all the homophobic, racist and transphobic comments on various websites to get to the ones raising legit issues is nauseating.

• Thumbs Up 4

13 minutes ago, Plasme said:

I haven't played TLOU but know the basic plot of the story, but glancing at the leaks....I can totally see how ton of people will be turned off by it narratively. 

Most of the "too progressive" voices are coming from both sexist/homophobic/etc. people. The said "progressive" parts I read doesn't sound that bad, some I agree just a little (as in, did you need this part kinda way), other seem to be only accused and not confirmed.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, KoDaiko said:

I haven't played TLOU but know the basic plot of the story, but glancing at the leaks....I can totally see how ton of people will be turned off by it narratively. 

I'm the same. I was never going to get the game, I tend to gravitate towards more colourful fantasy games. But I also checked the leaks out of curiosity and can understand the outrage. Naughty Dog already had a bad rep in how they treat it's devs and since the news came out that the leaker apparently wasn't a disgruntled staff member, people seemed to have forgotten that they still treat staff like crap. Add to that, Sony, Naughty Dog and it's cronies are abusing copyright strikes to silence any youtubers that even mention that a leak occurred.

By doing that, they've actively changed some players that were on the fence for the game into never playing it in a million years.

It's all an interesting topic to discuss but I feel like I'm walking through a minefield if I was to get involved. It bugs me that both extremes will accuse the other of a narrow minded opinion while ignoring the more rational people. Humans are complicated creatures that are capable of more than one complex emotion. I'm not saying that scummy people don't exist.

• 3 weeks later...

lol Sony is so DMCA abusing that they filed one against their own twitter account.

• Chuckle 1

Since this topic's been bumped I might as well post about the State of Play showcase happening in a few hours.

SoP_TLOUP2_Social_16x9_US-2.jpg

Hi all – we’re putting the finishing touches on a new episode of State of Play that will air this Wednesday, May 27 at 1:00pm Pacific Time / 4:00pm Eastern Time on Twitch and YouTube.

Naughty Dog Vice President and The Last of Us Part II Director Neil Druckmann will give you a special preview of The Last of Us Part II, coming to PS4 June 19. Neil will walk you through details of the gameplay experience and story.

The current cut is clocking in a little more than 20 minutes, ending with an extended sequence showing off about eight minutes of never-before-seen gameplay.

And no, there won’t be any PS5 news or updates in this episode, just a deep dive into the world of The Last of Us Part II. 

It appears to be of a similar size and length to the Ghost of Tsushima showcase from a few weeks back. It was largely ignored on this corner of the internet but everyone I saw elsewhere considered that a good concise showcase of the appeal of the game without revealing too much, so I'm hoping for something similar here. Despite alll of the negativity surrounding the game I still feel pretty bummed that I won't be playing it this friday. The first game is one of my favorites from that console generation and Naughty Dog hasn't dropped much quality since then. 

Twitch / Youtube

• 2 weeks later...

A new cinematic trailer featuring a cover of New Order's True Faith by Ashley Johnson.

It's a pretty slick ad, but it's worth noting that the cover is suspiciously to another cover of the same song by Lotte Kestner. You can listen to it here for comparison's sake. They're undoubtedly really similar but I'm not sure if anything can be done since they're both covers to begin with. It'd be shameful if ND did nothing to compensate her though IMO. Lotte Kestner tweeted about it earlier today but she deleted it so hopefully it's being taken care of behind the scenes. 

I thought this would happen. People were just mad because it was too progressive.

Typical whiny gamers like always.

1 hour ago, Plasme said:

I thought this would happen. People were just mad because it was too progressive.

Just need to mention that not all people were upset at the "progressive" parts. 

I don't trust reviews from Big Review Sites (especially those who give it a 100/100), and rumors say Sony is restricting what they're allowed to talk about, so we'll just have to see the general public's reaction. I'm sure it's gonna be a love-it or hate-it type of game like/more than the original, which is already assumed by many.

Slightly unrelated, but why are "progressive" works are so difficult to handle. On one hand it lets people who dislike it overly-sh*t on it to the point they call the entire game terrible, even if it's a very minor element. On the other hand they can get overly-praised for it and lets the flaws be overlooked, sometimes using it as a shield for any criticism.

lol acting as if it's some sort of CRAZY prediction that a hugely anticipated 1st Party game would review well by any major review site regardless of any controversy it had before release.

Don't rush to pat yourself on the back when it sells well too, you rebel you.

• Thumbs Up 5

6 hours ago, Plasme said:

Weren’t you whining yesterday multiple times about the PS5 event?

Also I don’t think anyone expected the controversy with Naughty Dog itself to effect actual reviews. Good scores don’t suddenly mean there was never any valid issues taken against the company

3 hours ago, Tornado said:

lol acting as if it's some sort of CRAZY prediction that a hugely anticipated 1st Party game would review well by any major review site regardless of any controversy it had before release.

Don't rush to pat yourself on the back when it sells well too, you rebel you.

Nope.

I'm laughing at the many, many, many people online who were making out the game was going to be terrible, even in design and narrative, because it had marginalised people in it who they don't like to see. 

A hotly anticipated game that is made by an incredibly talented team with a proven track record can actually be excellent, it's not some banal prediction, just fucking obvious. The true banality is the whiny gamers who do tedious and predictable bitching because a game has certain groups of people in it who they don't like very much.

7 hours ago, KoDaiko said:

Slightly unrelated, but why are "progressive" works are so difficult to handle. On one hand it lets people who dislike it overly-sh*t on it to the point they call the entire game terrible, even if it's a very minor element. On the other hand they can get overly-praised for it and lets the flaws be overlooked, sometimes using it as a shield for any criticism.

It's more like "progressive" works are generally liked by critics because they can handle being challenged. If you take a film like Star Wars the Last Jedi, for example, all critics agree it's a great film. The film is obviously great narratively, it's just a lot of Star Wars "fans" can't handle being challenged.

Similarly, whiny subgroups like "gamers" can't handle anything they don't like or goes against their ideology.

And to be fair, I think most people who play game franchises more casually are probably more in line with game critics' opinions and can handle subversive narratives more than some hardcore "fans".

The complaining about marginalized people being in video games is a problem and is worth discussing in relation to “gamer culture”, but it is not relevant here to the majority reason why people had beef with Naughty Dog and TLOU2, and it’s 100% knowingly disingenuous to suggest that’s where it stemmed from and why people would /validly/ dare to criticize them.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Plasme said:

A hotly anticipated game that is made by an incredibly talented team with a proven track record can actually be excellent, it's not some banal prediction, just fucking obvious.

Do you regularly express obvious sentiment as if is revelatory information?

Oh, right, you do.

1 hour ago, Plasme said:

The true banality is the whiny gamers who do tedious and predictable bitching because a game has certain groups of people in it who they don't like very much.

The true banality is the person who only posts in threads to suck his own dick about how much better he is in every facet of his life compared to people who disagree with him about virtually everything. The person who doesn't actually care even remotely about the discussion he's posting in or whether he even knows anything about it, so long as he can say things he thinks should be obvious to anyone and how everyone who disagrees is just an entitled asshole who hates to have their beliefs challenged.

It was nice of you to make it so obvious in this thread, wandering in and asking a rhetorical question to state how shitty everyone having an issue with the leaks shown in the game had to be; then ignoring the multiple people who pointed out that some of the criticisms they've seen seem valid from what they know of the leaks so you could reiterate it later for your own benefit. But hey, you got to pat yourself on the back when the extremely restricted reviews of the AAA game reviewed well like everyone knew it was going to (just like everyone knew SwSh was going to review well when it got shit for 6 months straight); and I'm positive when you see the game sells well you'll chalk that up as a personal win for you as well. That's the important part of being "progressive," right?

However, this shitty attitude that you bring to practically every thread and status update you post in, where you treat anyone who disagrees with you and your amazing views on all things as if whatever they said was the equivalent to calling for people to be lynched, is done here. Climb your ivory tower on some other forum that's a bit more open to "This entity did something that falls in line with my political beliefs, so everything they ever do from that point forward is beyond reproach." I suggest ResetEra.

And Michael Jackson worked on Sonic 3, a game that was in fact much more popular than Spinball.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 1