Awoo.

Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary Roadmap ("Leak", 2017/2018)

Junko

Strap in boys and girls, this'll be a long one.

VG Leaks is a site that primarily archives leaks and rumours from other sources on their site for discussion. However, this time they have one of their own and... oh boy, it's a big one.

Let's start with the "smaller" news; obviously, 2017 is the 30th Anniversary of the Final Fantasy franchise and the 20th anniversary of Final Fantasy VII. So, in order to celebrate, supposedly Final Fantasy VII Remake - Part I, Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age and Final Fantasy XIII Trilogy launch on PlayStation 4 in 2017. The first two, of course, have been announced, however, Final Fantasy XIII Trilogy has not. This collection is supposedly going to contain Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII on three separate discs running in 1080p/60fps.

Now, I know what you might be saying; "Shit, Athena, that sounds like a good year already for Final Fantasy." Well, we're not done yet. Lemme tell you about a little collection called the Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary Collection. This bad boy includes every mainline game up to and including the PS1 trilogy for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita. We talking: Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy II, Final Fantasy III, Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy V, Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VIII, and Final Fantasy IX. Final Fantasies I-VI will include classic versions in English (NES/SNES, a first for II and III) and the most modern versions (the smartphone versions). Not to mention they'll be based on the Japanese versions, meaning any content will be returned (with some graphical censorship). The collection will also include a built-in art gallery and a sound test function.

"Damn Athena, this is shaping up to be the best anniversary celebration of anything ever." Oh, that's cute, you think it's over? Of course, there's gonna be some special editions. The Standard Edition comes with Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary Collection and a poster. The Collector's Edition comes with the collection, poster, an art book, 8-bit Black Mage keychain, a Chocobo plush and two discs with a song selection from Nobuo Uematsu.

And here's the big one, the Crystal Complete Edition only for PlayStation 4 on Square Enix's website in limited quantities, will include the anniversary collection, all the physical items in the Collector's Edition and:

• Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD
  • Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
  • Final Fantasy XIII Trilogy
  • Final Fantasy XV (and its DLC)
  • Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (and all expansions + a 3-month subscription)
  • Special items for Final Fantasy IX (smartphone) and A Realm Reborn
  • Two extra discs on the Sound Selection
  • A Crystal necklace
  • A Moogle plush
  • A Black Mage statue
  • All three Final Fantasy TCG starter decks
  • Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
  • Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV
  • Brotherhood: Final Fantasy XIV
  • All decorated in a chest decorated with the Final Fantasy logo

(Here the article makes mention to a season pass but it isn't clarified further.)

In addition to all that, the leak makes mention of the fact that Final Fantasy I, Final Fantasy II, Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions and Chrono Trigger could be on Steam by the end of 2017. Along with Final Fantasy VII Remake and Final Fantasy XV coming to Steam around mid-2018.

So, what do you think? While it sounds leagues and scores into "too good to be true" territory, it's certainly something to consider as the 30th Anniversary of Final Fantasy approaches.

• Thumbs Up 2

If this were true, I'd give all my money for it. I haven't played a lot of Final Fantasy games, but this is still exciting.

Also, that Crystal Complete Collection should cost at the very least $200.

5 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

Also, that Crystal Complete Collection should cost at the very least $200.

You're super underestimating it, I expect it to be at least $500.

• Thumbs Up 5

5 hours ago, KHCast said:

I just want to say I called XIII getting a HD port, and that shit got shot down almost immediately. Rest of the stuffs koo tho.

XIII already has a PC release tho. Are you sure you're refering to XII or a PS4/XBONE port for XIII?

... Wow, that is one big way to celebrate a franchise's 30th anniversary if this is true. 

Dang, that's a lot of stuff. This might end up being the hugest anniversary event for any game ever, and for a long time too.

Hopefully this means that 2017 will be a great year for Final Fantasy fans (if all of this is actually true, that is, lol.)

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, 风之Klonoa said:

XIII already has a PC release tho. Are you sure you're refering to XII or a PS4/XBONE port for XIII?

PS4/XBONE port

15 minutes ago, KHCast said:

PS4/XBONE port

In my opinion SE would probably rather just have FF XIII get 360 backwards compatibility on Xbox One and keep XIII on PS Now for PS4/XBONE players, I don't think they would really intend on porting the game. (It already is a HD game and all)

26 minutes ago, 风之Klonoa said:

In my opinion SE would probably rather just have FF XIII get 360 backwards compatibility on Xbox One and keep XIII on PS Now for PS4/XBONE players, I don't think they would really intend on porting the game. (It already is a HD game and all)

So were half the games that were on PS3/Xbox 360 that got ported to current gen. DmC? Last of Us? Skyrim? Tomb Raider? All got enhanced editions.

• Thumbs Up 1

Awesome, looking forward to it. I hope they include game boosters on the old games like they did with the PS1 trilogy, it will make the games very easy to replay without having to grind, especially FFII NES, which was bad even for its time.

FFXIII brought me in to the world of Final Fantasy, so XIII (and its sequels) will always have a place in my heart (although I didn't like LR). I wouldn't want to replay LR, but I would be more than happy to replay the first two. I just needed a reason to replay those games. This is perfect.

1080p, 60FPS with maybe enhanced graphics....sold, just sold. Gimme it NAO.

On 12/6/2016 at 11:18 AM, Athena Cykes said:

You're super underestimating it, I expect it to be at least $500.

You both make me laugh. Do you know what the collectors editon of FFXV went for alone? Yea your going to be paying at least 700+ for this.

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

Wasn't it already confirmed to happen tho?

It actually never was, lmao. They said they were considering it.

28 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

You both make me laugh. Do you know what the collectors editon of FFXV went for alone? Yea your going to be paying at least 700+ for this.

Yeah, it went for $270, so $500 as a starting point is very much a safe estimate.

3 hours ago, Athena Cykes said:

It actually never was, lmao. They said they were considering it.

Yeah, it went for $270, so $500 as a starting point is very much a safe estimate.

this is square. the crystal necklace alone is going to add near 200. plushies run 50 and up. it's gong to be expensive

Isn't KH's anniversary also next year. Wouldn't that be awesome if there was some secret collaboration game between the two announced. (Dynasty warriors square game with KH and FF characters plz)

• 1 month later...

Surprise surprise, it was a bunch of nothing.

Ok, to be fair there was something that was announced, but nothing the magnitude of the leak:

*Yet another dress collaboration, this time between groudY and Yoshitaka Amano

*Two new Distant World concerts... in Osaka and Tokyo

*Another collaboration with Cup Noodle (i guess the first one was in FFXV) and a contest for winning an Ultima Weapon-shaped fork

*There's gonna be a FFXIV-themed escape room (what?) in Japan next February

*Up to 50% discounts on FF titles on Amazon, the SE Store, PSN, XBox Live and E-Shop (no Steam apparently; Gaben is sad).

*A new manga with an original story called Final Fantasy Lost Strangers, to be published in Japan in spring

*An FF-themed miniature model calendar

*Sneak peeks at Episode Gladio and Episode Prompto for FFXV, but we will know better at the Active Time Report tomorrow. Also, Power Rangers DLC costumes that make the wearer invincible

*Not much about FFXIV aside from its next official event in Frankfurt

*An FFVII-shaped ice sculpture in order to celebrate the 20th anniversary of it

*FFVII-related event coming next month in Brave Exvius. Expect at least Cloud to be a new obtainable hero.

*Dissidia Opera Omnia is gonna be released in Japan tomorrow, with Aerith shown to be playable. No news on western release dates yet.

*FFVII-related event coming for Moebius including Sephiroth

*New artwork for the FFVII remake, but nothing more

*Release date for FFXII: The Zodiac Age (mid-July, aproximately)
*Balthier as a summonable ally DLC for World of Final Fantasy (about time; now can we get Firion too please?)

*New Itadaki Street, and Noctis is part of the FF portion of the cast

*There's gonna be a commemorative artistic exposition at Roppongi... next year

And that's it. Not completely garbage, but disappointing for an anniversary of this magnitude.

TBH, I was thinking some of the "leaked" stuff was too good to be true, in particular that disc release of all the main games.

XII's release date is a bit far off, but IIRC there isn't much else releasing in July, so sure.

What surprises me is that Itadaki Street is PS4/Vita only. It's the kind of game I'd expect for the Switch.

Although it appeared that this was only the "opening ceremony", so whether there's more to come today, we don't really know.