Awoo.

Cartooooooons

Indigo Rush

There are literally hundreds of cartoons out there in the world, and I'm surprised that no one has made a topic dedicated to them. In this topic, we discuss our favorites, the remakes (good and bad) the theatrical movies, the merchandise and so on.

I'll start off with one of the best modern-day slapstick cartoons yet, (and one of my favorites) Ed, Edd and Eddy.

Ed_Edd___N___Eddy_by_demonstraight_uh.jpg

Ed, Edd and Eddy starred a dumb kid, a smart kid, and a sneaky kid, who constantly plot to take quarters from the neighborhood kids so they can buy jawbreakers. The show is unbelievable. You need to watch it. The slapstick is out of this world, and I can't help but laugh. They even made a movie!

The importance of the movie is you get to see Eddy's brother. For those who don't know, the show has had a consistent cast with no other characters appearing ever. It's like the equivalent of the adults talking in Peanuts, the world could just explode.

So, that's what I have to contribute. Do you like this show? What are your favorite programs? Tell it all!

Edited by Indigo Rush

I love cartoons! Well yes it says that in my interests in my profile. They say cartoons are for good. To hell with those people! Yeah kids do watch cartoons and they might out grow them. However, I will never outgrow cartoons. I'll be 89 years old and still enjoy cartoons. I was basically into any cartoon you could name under the sun back then. I can't really say that now since some of the cartoons these days are really not that great, in my opinion.

Yeah! Ed, Edd and Eddy is the best CN cartoon ever. I watched it when it was a brand new back then. Good frickin' times watching the TV! :)

I second what Mike said.

I'll come clean and say that I never really watched EE&E all that much, or any specific cartoon for that matter. I just jumped around some personal favorites and wasn't really dedicated to a single show.

I did watch EE&E back then, and seeing the movie just reminded me of how awesome that show was. It's one of those shows where I liked the later seasons as opposed to the earlier ones, which I seem to find a few people thinking the opposite on certain shows, mainly Spongebob.

Others I loved were Courage the Cowardly Dog, Spongebob(yes, I like the newer ones more), and Chowder as the only ones that I can think of at the moment.

These days, I'm addicted to Spongebob Squarepants-mainly because there is jack shiz on at 7am that I find interesting. :P even if they are repeats and I've seen them over 9000 times, I'll still watch them. If that isn't a testament to how great the show is, I don't know what is. :P

I also used to like Sonic X and followed the story line for a few months although these days I'm either not using the TV while it's on, or someone has decided that we don't need to watch Sonic anymore. :P

Unfortunately I haven't watched Ed, Edd and Eddy in such a long time...:P I think the last time I watched it I was probably too young to understand what the heck was going on there anyway...But I'll make a mental note to try and watch a few episodes when I decide to use the TV again....

If we're talking about the cartoons that are more like adult comedy, my favourite is Family Guy...Sure, I hold the Simpsons dear to me, but, dang, I can't help but find more things in Family Guy funnier, particularly the parody sketches and random appearances...

And that would appear to be all I can think of writing for now. Goodbye!

Donald. Fauntleroy. Duck. Good old Paperino is my favourite character ever. I love all of his cartoons, expect maybe Quack Pack. Dunno why, maybe because of the extreme changes between this and the previous DuckTales. I grown up with that duck, and I'm not the only one. Entire generations did it. And I'm still doing it, for Pete's sake. The italian comics are on a different plane, so I just can't compare the cartoons with the italic paper incarnations. Just to name a few Donald Duck shorts I really enjoyed: Snow Wars, Modern Inventions, Mickey's Trailer, Lonesome Ghosts, Donald's Nephews and of course, Aquarela do Brasil, the final part of Saludos Amigos. Boy, that was really good, colours, music and all. But Donald IS awesome. There was also Der Fuehrer's Face, which was just....strange. Maybe you can find them somewhere, on old Vhs, or Dvds.

Of course Mickey and Goofy (especially Goofy) are no strangers to me.

With "Cartoons" we are excluding japanese animation, right? But still, don't mess with the duck.

Ed, Edd, Eddy. I remember that show. Not too difficult, since it's still airing here in Italy. Very odd show. The drawing was dirty,which is something I can't bear, but I don't think it would be the same without that.

There was also Aosth, but I don't think it need presentation of any sort. So, to be original, I'll just post the Italian Intro. You know, for fun. I liked it when I was a kid, and I like it even now. BE CAREFUL, It is completely different. It's sung.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJTl-eQ_UJQ

I forgot Donald had a middle name, lol.

My love affair with cartoons starting fizzling out around high school. Before then, my afternoon/weekend trifecta was Disney Channel, Cartoon Network, and Nick-Ni-Nick-Nick-Ni-Nick-Nick-Nick-NICKELODEOOOOOON!!!!

...yeah...had to do it :)

Anyway, for a while I've been floating around channels, watching little else but the goods on Comedy Central, a quick cycle through the HBOs, Showtimes, and Starz's (try saying it aloud. I DARE YOU.) every now and then, and the occasional 106 and Park. Now thanx to my crazy-nostalgic roommate, my passion for animation reawakened...@ least enough to rant how much the new 'toons suck (not that hard, considering my first fav channel is now a glorified tweeny-bopper popstar machine working for the MAN, my third is just doggy paddling above water at the moment, and the second...sigh...).

ANYWAY, to make a long story short, I'm digging a few new joints, primarily Avatar (or the Last Airbender for the unintiated; thanks LOADS Cameron), Wolverine and the X-Men, and the Spectacular Spider-Man. I'm catching up on my favs like Superman/Batman/Justice League, Samurai Jack, Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Luhboorahtory and The Flintstones to name a few on Boomerang. I'm even beginning to get into anime a little bit (I always had respect for it, even a few favs in the mix like DBZ, but it was never really my style); this thing you ppl call a Death Note sounds veeeetty intriguing *twists peachfuzzofabeard*

And to Indigo Rush, Garfield was my MAAAAAAAAN!!!! Loved the show, watched it even back when it came on CBS Saturday Mornings, and I got gobs of the classic comics in my stash. So of course I was supremely irked by how they did my dude on the movie :-/

Oh god yes.

Though we aren't supposed to post lists, I feel I need to throw these out here and elaborate on some of my all time favorites. Would anime be something to put in these topics? They technically are cartoons, but typically the word is associated with western children shows. Oh well...onto my favs.

Ed Edd and Eddy: I can't get over how diverse and wacky all the characters are when there is basically a set case through the whole series. Say what you want about the artstyle and oddball animation, but it fits so well with the cast it's actually comes out as a compliment. The life of the neighborhood is just so creative and bizarre. Thank you so much Indy for reminding me of the show!

Courage the Cowardly Dog: God damn. I loved every situation Courage ends up in. Though a few episodes scared the bejebus out of me when I was little (that CG mummy guy had me bricking my pants) I found the humor hilarious. Later in the series the quality only got better and better, and the animation was fine. I think the dodgeball episode was the greatest one out out of all of them due to having all my favorite villains in one place. Kats' freaking theme is stuck in my head now...

Rocko's Modern Life: This was a little before my time. It certainly wasn't too much of a kid's show with all of the parodies of adult life but I found it fun to watch when I came home from school. Going back now and revisiting some episodes I can get some of the humor now.

Dexter's lab: Probably one of the weirder shows out there. Nothing ever seemed to work out right for the poor little guy. I really liked how his entire lab was hidden in some sort of hammer space within the house frame. The episode when he finds himself locked in the school has become a local meme with the "yanitor" (Its how the janitor says his name. We use it as a label for someone who comes and cleans up after a huge fire fight or scuffle in a multiplayer game while those involved are still weakened. Usually that person screams "I AM THE YANITOR" as he kills us dead.)

Transformers Armada: The show that got me into the whole Transformers deal. I loved that Optimus Prime and the mini-cons. Going back now the show was shitty as the animation was as bad as the action scenes. Energon was terrible and Cybertron was actually decent though. I just have to put it up here because I love it's Optimus and I watched it to death as a kid. (though it's actually tied as my 5th favorite Prime)

My absolute favorite shows though?

3821dbf2b77719ae0da2610e98919273.jpg

MEGAS XLR: This entire show was a super parody of everything and it was awesome. MEGAS was a robot with a car for a head and a retarded fat guy named Coop for a driver. It parodies the likes of transformers, gundams, ringworlds, street fighter, power rangers, MTV, and even our dear Sonic the Hedgehog. It's just hilarious how funny it is with the situations Coop and the gang find themselves in and how they go about fighting. The animation is awesome, the characters are beyond funny, and everything is so ridiculous. For example, when teaming up with a Super Sentai/Power Rangers/Voltron parody team, Coop suggests combining their robots with Megas. This would traditionally result in an elaborate transformation sequence, but Coop merely jams Megas' limbs into the other bots and somehow becoming more powerful. I totally dig giant robots.

transformers_animated.jpg

Transformers Animated: Go on. Whine about it ruining Transformers. Go on. CRY SOME MOAR. If you stop crying like little itty bitty baby and watch the show, you'll realize it's probably the best show the whole Transformers series has to offer. While things started going downhill near the end of Armada, the shit-tastic Energon, and the decent Cybertron, Animated was the shakeup Transformers needed to break it's deteriorating mold. There are so many references and takes after the original G1 that any classic fanboy should squeal with joy. The animation is solid and energetic, and the characters are actually emotive and lovable...which was what they were aiming for after the barely expressive CGI series. The voice acting, humor, and action is delightful as well. Even the take on the Transformers Universe was interesting and creative. The Autobots win the war with the decepticons in the past, while in the present worker grade Autobots have to use their brains and brawn to overcome military grade decepticons...many times leading to getting their rear's handed to them by merely one. The only real problem I had with the series was that Sari, the main "human" character was too much of a Mary Sue with her damn magically powered all spark key. They rectified that later in the series and even when into major character development as

she turns out to be a protoform who took a human alt mode.

It's a damn shame Hasbro canceled the show early due to wanting to pimp Bayformers 2, but it finished off quite well. Though I wish it would have tied off some loose ends dealing with

Sari, the characters defending the space bridge, and poor compacted Blurr...

I got to get around making a Transformers General Topic....someday...

Avatar_Airbender_gal-thumb-400x338-.jpg

Avatar the Last Airbender: This show is truly a masterpiece. Everything about it screams quality. The animation, the oh so wonderfully choreographed action, the unique and lovable characters, the charming world and culture, plus it's creative take on the standard element fanfare all come together to create an interesting and compelling universe. I have to love it's humor and characters, especially how badass Toph is. The world that the series is set is so captivating and full of life that anyone of any age could enjoy it. I want to say more but nothing really is coming to mind. It is just excellent in every respect and should be a must watch. Did I mention how good the action was? I did? Good. I'll talk about it a third time because the fights are always creative. There is no "stock footage" or set move sets for anyone in the series. The characters adapt to the action how they see fit with their powers. It's just so refreshing after many action shows tend to focus on specific moves instead of a free flow combat. (looking at you DBZ, Transformers, etc) This is probably one of the greatest shows to come out of the west in a long time.

Whew...I spent way too much time on this post...as I went to youtube half way though to watch some of my favorites again....

Edited by Rauzaruke

Oh god yes.

&

Avatar_Airbender_gal-thumb-400x338-.jpg

Megas? Wow I thought I was the only one who remembered that show. Oh my gosh that show kicked soooooo much ass! Bout time someone noticed the Last airbender's Greatness! I mean for the 3/4 years it was on nick showing New episodes it killed! And especially the series finale! oh wow did that 4 part finale ROCK! And uncle Iroh... IROH was like the best character in the show.

Anyways my favorites toons are Avatar, AOSTH, EE&E, The spectacular spiderman, the 90's spidey, Static shock and Dexter's lab!

He already said why Avatar is a master piece sooo I shouldn't have to say more.

Adventures of sonic the Hedgehog I grew up with this show and when I was sick or down or whatever, this show was there for me. LOL it was like the Best friend i never had. :)

Ed Edd & Eddy At first I hated this show with a passion but after watching this show over the years I grew on to it and well started to like it. To bad the series is over and I cant ever catch an episode on Boomerang.

The Spectacular spider man I have a whole topic about this cartoon. 2nd this is probably the best cartoon of this generation of toons Next to the avatar. I mean it's like the best spiderman toon EVER!

90's spiderman It's a legend and a memory of my childhood. NUFF SAID

Static shock For a show that had one hell of a cliff hanger series finale, this show was awesome. Okay maybe not season 1 and 2 but 3 and 4 were the best. Especially with the Justice league+Static episodes. Plus there were soo many guest appearances by random Celebs it was crazy. Shaq, Romeo (what ever happen to him?) Nysnc or Backstreet boys, and other NBA players I forgot the names of.

Dexter's Lab And finally a legend that should not have ended. Tell you the truth I never saw the final episode of this show nor did I ever figure out why Mandark had a crush on DeDe. Oh well DL will always be with me.

Anyone remember Batman Beyond?

I thought it was awesome that they worked with an actual future storyline on an animated show. And it was successful.

Oh god yes.

Hell yeah! That show was amazing! I'm still trying to track down the toy of Megas. Its #1 of my top 3 cartoons (Beavis and Butthead is 2 and Invader Zim is 3)

Edited by Gamefreak94

I love cartoons. My favorites are Ed, Edd, and Eddy (I still need to watch the EE&E movie though), Samurai Jack (I still remember when I was 7 and I used to pretend I was him during recess), The Weekenders, Dexter's Laboratory, South Park, Metalocalypse (Pickles is my favorite character), ATHF (seasons 1-3, I think it started going downhill in season 4 or 5), SatAM, and tons more.

I rarely watch cartoons aimed at children, especially the slapstick ones. I mean, I like Tom and Jerry for the sake of nostalgia, but I grew out of pretty much everything else by the age of seven. Not to say you're supposed to grow out of it- anyone can like whatever they like. Around the time of Ed, Edd and Eddy's release here (I was around seven), I was getting sick of them. I could never stand that show even.

All I watch now is South Park, Family Guy, American Dad, Futurama, The Simpsons, King of the Hill and the Cleveland Show when it starts airing.

Edited by Blue Blood

I'll get into the cartoons I love and loved.

South Park: My absolute favorite cartoon that is currently on the air. I've been a fan since it began. I remember all of that stupid controversy surrounding the cartoon. Yeah, for some reason my parents never had a problem with me watching it when I was 13. Though years before, they weren't allowing me to watch Beavis & Butthead. People deemed South Park worse than B&B. My parents should have gone berserk, however they didn't and that is a good thing. Anyhow, the last 4 seasons are gold. Trey Parker and Matt Stone are cartoon geniuses.

Metalocalypse: A show about my favorite genre of all-time! It's about a band called Dethklok and their misadventures. It's basically making fun of the heavy metal scene and heavy metal related stuff. It's done well and I believe it's done tastefully. The music is pretty damn good. Dethklok is just Brandon Small and then he has Gene Hoglan or whoever else providing drums. Kick ass cartoon.

Beavis & Butthead: I remember watching this when it was on at 7:00 PM EST until some idiot was imitating their antics at home. Well I don't remember the whole story on that dumb controversy. They moved it to 10:00 PM or some later. My mom didn't want me to watch, though I managed to watch it still. Yeah, two idiot loser teen metalheads who have no lives and they try to get it on with girls, though they miserably fail every time. I found it super hilarious.

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog: Oh I'm the only one who watched and enjoyed this... uh yeah well I know for a fact that I'm not the only one. Naturally since I was a big fan of the games, I watched this religiously. Definitely the best show based on a video game. The episodes are damn memorable and I loved the Sonic Sez segments. I still watch it once in while via YouTube. Jaleel White was an excellent choice for Sonic's voice. And of course how could I forget... PINGAS!

The Weekenders: My favorite cartoon show hands down. This is tied with South Park. I hated this show at first. However I found the writing and plots really great. It's also Disney's last decent cartoon, in my opinion. I could go on and on about this show. I have a site (sadly won't exist, because Yasuck! is cutting out GeoShities) about this show if you wanna know more about it. It is called The Weekenders Zone.

Well that's pretty much it and I may get into more cartoons that I've watched and watch.

Ah, yes. Cartoooooooooooooooooooooooons. =D

Since I have so many I love (including shows already listed, such as EE&E, Spongebob, AoSTH and Chowder, and some not listed, such as Space Ghost Coast 2 Coast and Family Guy)... I'll just list my favorite one of all time! =D

The Ren and Stimpy Show. Yes. Be very afraid. Everybody is freaked out by this show; but I don't see why. Sure, it's sick and twisted at times, but it truly is the golden age of cartoons at it's finest. Everything about the show's art screamed top quality (considering that it was imitating 50s and 60s cartoon artstyles). It parodized everything you could think of (from Slinky to cereal commericals to even other shows). Storywriting (and storytelling) was brilliant, everything was really fresh, and was a real difference from your ordinary happy-go-lucky cartoon antics (even being at times rather depressing and even borderline-psychotic, which is not just entertaining, but makes the viewer fill with tons of emotion for the characters). Stimpy was a blissfully lovable character that was truly awesome in his own absolutely stupid way. And Ren. I love that psychotic chihuahua with all my heart (in a non-gay way of course)~

ren.JPG

You know you love him. <3

Edited by Azukara

Cartoons were part of the pinnacle of my early childhood and sometimes still is. Some of my favorite cartoons are 2 Stupid Dogs, Animaniacs, and Freakazoid!

Bleh, Animaniacs.

I'm more of a Freakazoid! kind of guy, myself. Animaniacs was okay for the time, and it had some pretty great segments (such as Pinky and the Brain - at least until it was ruined by that Elmyra bitch), but the more I hear about how it got crap past the radar, the more I wonder if it really stands the test of time for me - I prefer it when shows try to be clever, and not have to rely on sneaking so much stuff past the censors. For instance... Minerva Mink was just the most awful thing to come out of the show. It wasn't funny - it only served to see how much the writers could get away with.

Freakazoid! was just clever though. Brilliant stuff. I need to look for the second season on DVD sometime.

Well here's more cartoons I'm gonna get into.

Ren & Stimpy: It's funny that Nick aired this show. A chihuahua (sp?) and a dumb red cat. I thought the Dr. Stupid segments were hilarious. This show was weird and a lot of adult humor in it. I'm surprised this show passed the censors back then. It got weirder and weirder every year I noticed. There was an episode about belly buttons. I watched the one on SpikeTV and it really sucked.

Two Stupid Dogs: This was kinda like Ren & Stimpy, except it was about 2 dogs. I liked that one character and his catchphrase was "Well isn't that cute... BUT IT'S WRONG!!!!" Oh yes, this show ruled! I would love to watch this show again.

Doug: One of my favorite Nick cartoons back in the day. I've watched all the episodes. I'm going to be one of the very few to say this in the history of cartoons, I actually thought Disney's Doug was not bad. I haven't watched all of the episodes of Disney's Doug though.

Rocko's Modern Life: Another one of my cartoons that aired on Nick. This was another Nicktoon that contained adult humor. I didn't get it back then since I was young. Then I watched it later as an adult and I got the stuff.

The Fairly OddParents: I thought this was a really creative cartoon. A kid who has two fairies that grants him wishes and then drawbacks of those wishes he's made. I was 17 when I got into this show. Interesting and personal story on how I got into the show. To make it short, I was really sad one day and I put on the TV. FOP is on and it makes really really happy. Then I kept on watching it more.

Also, I really loved As Told By Ginger and Rugrats (im suprised barely anyone bought this up), and Invader Zim.

Oh those damn Rugrats. Oh did that bring back memories of the golden age of cartoons :(

Freakazoid! was just clever though. Brilliant stuff. I need to look for the second season on DVD sometime.

I 2nd that Jake. I wish I could find the DVD for it though.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned DragonBall, DBZ, DBGT or freakin sailor moon.

Well, those are anime, not cartoons. (I kid, I kid! I'm not one of those "anime is not cartoon" crazy people, even though I can debate about the differences between Japanese and contemporary Western animation, but I'll save that for some other time.)

But really, I think those would just go in the anime topic. O:

Well, those are anime, not cartoons. (I kid, I kid! I'm not one of those "anime is not cartoon" crazy people, even though I can debate about the differences between Japanese and contemporary Western animation, but I'll save that for some other time.)

But really, I think those would just go in the anime topic. O:

..but they're still cartoons a lot of people watched when they were kids (and as adults too I guess).

My mom used to wake me up at like god damn 5:30 AM to watch sailor moon X_X

• Thumbs Up 1

I know but that was just my automatic-categorization side of me speaking out, don't mind me~

Whatever you say Jujube ~ Pelly

It IS whatever I say, Lychee! ~ Jake

Cartoons are way better than real television.

Why hasn't somebody mentioned The Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat, or Swat Kats? Or, more importantly, the newest most awesome thing ever:

post-371-1249733827_thumb.jpg

SUPERJAIL

I can't believe no one has mentioned the Loony Toons, in particular Daffy Duck. Am I that old?

I used to watch anime too when I was younger. My faves were Sailor Moon (and apparently guys weren't allowed to like it) and Samurai X. There was also an anime series involving sci-fi and mechas, which I used to love but never found out the name and it's been killing me.

For cartoons themselves, Sonic Underground too, and Sandokan. And let's not forget Simpsons, Tom & Jerry... really I could go on forever here.

So many great cartoons. Oh yes! Swat Kats kicked ass. I watched that when it was in a brand new cartoon. One of the best cartoons ever!

Looney Tunes was great. I watched that on Nickelodeon before Nick had Nicktoons. Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Tasmanian Devil, Speed Gonzales, etc. were characters I remember very fondly.

Oh yeah speaking of non-Nicktoons airing on Nick... anyone remember Danger Mouse? I'm sure some of ya do. I watched it and yes it did air in the U.S. It was pretty damn good. I remember the villain Baron Silas Greenback and those birds.