Awoo.

Cartooooooons

Indigo Rush

Excuse me for the off topic, but I want to ask you something.

I was watching some Dexter's Lab last evening. There's this episode where Dexter is bullied because of his accent. The problem is, Dexter doesn't have any kind of accent in the italian dub. He speaks fluent italian. Did he have some kind of accent in the original? And If the answer is yes, please, don't tell me that the accent was Russian or something like that, because I can't figure Dexter speaking like that.

On Topic now:

There are some Cartoon Network's works that I have liked, like Jhonny Bravo, Dexter's lab, the Powerpuff Girls (nice name, two thousands better than the Italian one, if you ask me) The Grim adventures of Bill and Mandy (even tough I like to call Grim using his Italian name "Tenebra" which means Darkness )and...(searching wikipedia for the original name) Courage the cowardly Dog. Well, I began watching Courage after Sonic X, because the Dog and Knuckles have the same voice actor. And it was pretty funny. Really funny. But I Never heard before of this Samurai Jack. Do you recommend it to me, knowing that I liked many CN cartoons?

Excuse me for my poor English in this Post, but here is 1:00 AM.

Edited by Franlight

Don't worry, it's not off topic. (:

In the English version of Dexter's Lab, Dexter always spoke... rather strangely. He didn't have any foreign accent, but from what I can remember, he spoke in a very pronounced, holier-than-thou voice, emphasizing particular words over others. He tried to make himself sound professional, but he came off as very exaggerated (and condescending), and it stood out among the other kids.

Mandark also has his own way of speaking, which was very fast-paced and constantly had high pitches - speaking nothing of his very distinct laughter.

Don't worry, it's not off topic. (:

In the English version of Dexter's Lab, Dexter always spoke... rather strangely. He didn't have any foreign accent, but from what I can remember, he spoke in a very pronounced, holier-than-thou voice, emphasizing particular words over others. He tried to make himself sound professional, but he came off as very exaggerated, and it stood out among the other kids.

Mandark also has his own way of speaking, which was very fast-paced and constantly had high pitches - speaking nothing of his very distinct laughter.

Oh, Thank you. Mandark maintained his way of speaking and laughter in the italian one. Probably, his laughter was one of the things that made me laugh any time I watched Dexter as a kid. If i'm not mistaken, he used the same rhytm for everything else. Hilarious.

Nice Zorori Avatar, by the way. I wanted to watch that cartoon so much, but they aired it morning-time, from Monday to Fryday, and I was at school at the time. Such a shame.

So Italy got its own version of Zorori, huh?

I would love it if we had an English release, but I'd be concerned about the show being censored, as is typical of children's anime that is imported to America.

There's alot of cartoons I adore, but most of them are not so recent. I think my absolute favourites would have to be Ed, Edd and Eddy and Courage the Cowardly Dog. AMAZING shows, both of them! <3 EE&D for its strange, whacky humour and of course the unique animation style, and Courage because it was just so original and funny in a dark way. I like my dark humour sometimes! Some episodes did frighten me a bit though when I first saw them, like the Weremole one. ^ ^;

That's the only shows I can think of right now. There's Dexter, PPG, Cow and Chicken and many, many more of course. But I never really held them in high regards. Also, I'd happily watch every single episode of EE&E or Courage over agan! =D

So Italy got its own version of Zorori, huh?

I would love it if we had an English release, but I'd be concerned about the show being censored, as is typical of children's anime that is imported to America.

I noticed on my visit to Sardinia last year that Italy actually has lots of anime shows on their tv stations which have never been dubbed in English. One of them was Onegai My Melody. I couldn't believe it! >w<

Excuse me for the off topic, but I want to ask you something.

I was watching some Dexter's Lab last evening. There's this episode where Dexter is bullied because of his accent. The problem is, Dexter doesn't have any kind of accent in the italian dub. He speaks fluent italian. Did he have some kind of accent in the original? And If the answer is yes, please, don't tell me that the accent was Russian or something like that, because I can't figure Dexter speaking like that.

Jake hit the nail on the head. However, why describe it when you can listen to it yourself via youtube?

On Topic now:

There are some Cartoon Network's works that I have liked, like Jhonny Bravo, Dexter's lab, the Powerpuff Girls (nice name, two thousands better than the Italian one, if you ask me) The Grim adventures of Bill and Mandy (even tough I like to call Grim using his Italian name "Tenebra" which means Darkness )and...(searching wikipedia for the original name) Courage the cowardly Dog. Well, I began watching Courage after Sonic X, because the Dog and Knuckles have the same voice actor. And it was pretty funny. Really funny. But I Never heard before of this Samurai Jack. Do you recommend it to me, knowing that I liked many CN cartoons?

I can't really say. Samurai Jack uses a visual style similar to Foster's home, but is pretty violent and crazy. It's more of a serious and dark show filled with a unique art style for the world it creates. Heck in one episode it even has censored nudity. It really doesn't have much to do with the slapstick humor cartoons, so going by past shows you really couldn't tell if you like it without watching at least watching one episode (and for lulz I linked the one with censored boobies).

Excuse me for my poor English in this Post, but here is 1:00 AM.

Are you kidding? You type better than about 90% of native English speakers. XD

I've just realized how awesome Courage the Cowardly Dog's and MEGAS XLR's soundtracks are.

(Kats and the crazy clipper guy to name two). MEGAS has some of the most lively and fitting music I've heard in cartoon. Plus it's wins the best "IMMA KICK YOUR TEETH IN BITCH" music ever. It's opening track after the intro always gets stuck in my head too.

EDIT: What the flying frack? Why the heck did my post end up blank? It it wasn't for Firefox the stuff I typed wouldn't have been saved. D:

Edited by Rauzaruke

Jake hit the nail on the head. However, why describe it when you can listen to it yourself via youtube?

Because I'm not that good when it comes to recognize an accent when it's spoken in a Foreign Language.

Are you kidding? You type better than about 90% of native English speakers. XD

Oh, Thank you. Really.

Edited by Franlight
  • Thumbs Up 1

Because I'm not that good when it comes to recognize an accent when it's spoken in a Foreign Language.

Oh, Thank you. Really.

Ahhh. Right. I totally forgot about the "not being able to recognize foreign accents part" of not knowing a language too well. I bet I couldn't figure out any Italian spoken accents. Well like Jake says Dexter stresses and elongates words with a bit of an elitist tone. He sounds totally out of place compared to a normal kid.

Some of these cartoon seem like straight up kids toys, not fun for the whole family. Chowder, Flapjack and the Mighty B are example of comedic cartoon that are good for the family these days.

The Mighty B? Ewww.

(If you think Rocko's Modern life is innocent for Lil' Timmy and Sally? Watch it again and see all of the adult jokes that people won't even come close to use today.)

I've been watching Rocko since I was 4, as a young one I didn't understand the adult humor, but now that I'm older I understand it very well. My favorite character on the show is Heifer, he is hilarious.

Bakugan can go die in a fucking ditch!

Hell yeah! Bakugan is the worst anime ever, it needs to die!

I didn't get into Samurai Jack too much because the style really put me off as a kid. Though now going back and watching a few after reading into this thread made a world of a difference. There is a bunch of action (mostly asskicking) but the style and animation I can appreciate now that I am older. It's actually fairly interesting universe with some really weird characters. I think it was ended the way Megas got to boot...it was deemed much to violent for a children's show. Actually, it really is quite brutal.

That's one of the reasons why I love Samurai Jack. It's supposed to be a children's show, but it has lots of violence. Also I love the story and characters too. I've been watching SJ since I was 7, and I still remember that I'd always pretend I was him during recess.

Not sure if anyone has gave a mention to this classic?

user90982pic12941121263.jpg

Samurai Pizza Cars was a great show. I loved it when I was growing up in the 80

Not sure if anyone has gave a mention to this classic?

user90982pic12941121263.jpg

I totally forgot to mention this in my previous post.

I LOVED THIS SHOW! <3 I actually believe this was the first anime I saw on tv.

Anyway, I first saw Samurai Pizza Cats when I was about 4 or 5 years old, and I always loved the cheesy theme song. XD Also, wasn't the villain of the show originally a fox? Because I think they called him a raccoon or something in the dub. I was always confused about that when I first saw it 'cos I wondered why he looked so much like a fox.

Ah well, the dub was still great in its own special way. Atleast they kept Japanese cultural references in it, unlike today's shows. *COUGH4KidsCOUGH*

I LOVED THIS SHOW!

Heeey, I remember this show. I dont remember much of it but I do remember the cats in suits fighting people :lol:

• 9 months later...

As an animation student, I have to learn about cartoons. So I'm told to watch them! In my 18 years of life I have many favourites.

Animaniacs - Just a very memorable cartoon. Awesome sections, great laughs even for today. Also we all can't forget the songs! (takes a deep breathe...) United States, Canada, Mexico, Panama, Haiti, Jamaica, Peru, Republic Dominion, Cuba, Caribbean, Greenland, el Salvador too!

Freakazoid - Same creators as the Animaniacs, same humour too. Just gotta love Cosgrove's "Hey! cut it out!"

AoStH - Everyone loves it. Its the best Sonic cartoon and one of the best cartoons I ever saw. All hail Robotnik!

[b The Cartoon Cartoons] - these include things like courage the Cowardly Dog, Cow and Chicken, Dexter's Lab. The original cartoon Network originals. These guys where decent and still make me laugh. Particularly the Red guy from cow and Chicken and I Am Weasel.

Hanna Barbera cartoons - Top cat! Captain caveman! Dick dastardly! you guys rock!

Samurai Jack - You gotta pity the guy. They stopped the show before he got home. Aku was hilarious and you gotta love that theme song!

Buzz Lightyear of Star Command - This cartoon simply because the Evil Emperor Zurg is essentially Dr Robotnik. Watch Adventures the this and you tell me, its not alot alike. Even Zurg's catchphrase "Curse You Buzz Lightyear!" is alot like "I hate that hedgehog!" which they both say at the end of every episode.

Thats all my old faves! I wish they where as good today. but hey, that's why I'm tring to get into the industry...

There's a lot of cartoons I like, but for me, the ones the take the top are Care Bears, Looney Toons, and DragonBall Z. Odd combination, no?

I'm a fair bit older than many of the posters here (26 years old to be exact), so I grew up with the cute bears. I also appreciate the cartoon's wholesomeness. Personally, I think the care bears movies and episodes from the 80's are far superior than many of the small kid cartoons displayed today.

However, I have not watched enough of the more modern care bear material to make a judgement on them.

I grew up with Looney Toons as well. I cannot get enough of daffy duck and marvin the martian. ...pew-36 explosive space modulator.

DragonBall Z, it's... I find it hard to describe. Sometimes the show moves amazingly slow, and the whole power level thing...By the end of the series the power levels reach such silly levels that they cannot be taken seriously. The show tries too hard for the 'OMG, Wow!' factor. But the action sequences and other things, I've become really attached to.

As mentioned, there are many other cartoons I like, like 90's Batman animated series, but theres are my top three.

index.jpg

Anybody remember Flint The Time Detective? I know I used to love it as a kid but I can't remember much about it, I know Petra was fucking awesome though and the concept of cute little creatures turning evil when stamped with a 'P' was like woah when I was child.

Can't remember much else about Monster Rancher either but I used to love that too.

• Thumbs Up 1

index.jpg

Anybody remember Flint The Time Detective? I know I used to love it as a kid but I can't remember much about it, I know Petra was fucking awesome though and the concept of cute little creatures turning evil when stamped with a 'P' was like woah when I was child.

Can't remember much else about Monster Rancher either but I used to love that too.

Oh God, I remember watching that Show When I was Younger. All I can Remember from the Top of my Hat is that The Dialogue (In the German Dub at least) was Pretty silly to the Point were It reached Gag Dub Territory. Still, I liked it.

The Time Shifter In Their Master Forms Looked Pretty Cool too.

No love for the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy?

It's one of my favorite shows and it lasted a long time til CN stopped producing episodes or what not.

But you gotta admit that Billy and Mandy was an epic cartoon. What is there not to love other than those detailed shots....

Ah, I didn't know there was a topic like this. Hmmm what shows do I enjoy, then and now?

Personally I love superhero parodies, so as a child I would watch Freakazoid, Earthworm Jim, and The Tick. All of these shows were all freaking hilarious and fun to watch.

Oh, and did someome mention Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat? Now that was an awesome show! Man, sometimes I really miss Felix...

I usually watched alot of Nickelodeon as a youngster, both Nick Jr. (when it had actual cartoons rather than the "interactive" crap it has today.) and Nick. Anyone here watch Doug? That show was quite pivotal in my life, because It inspired me to make comics. When I saw Doug making his quailman comics, then I would think "Hey that looks like fun, I wanna do that!" And well... There you go.

Nickelodeons current shows range from okay to mediocre. Avatar is pretty dang good for a current on Nick with its action, likeable characters and fluid animation. The only thing I really hate about the show is the humor, which ranges from moderately funny to just plain corny. This will sometimes puts me off of the show... Then again, Nickelodeon's idea of humor can be pretty bland sometimes so I guess there's no surprise there. Still, season 3 was awesome and I've even heard rumors of a new series. RUMORS, I said. I have no clear evidence to back this up so I'm trying not to get anyone's hopes up.

On the subject of cartoons I watch now, I love Flapjack, Chowder and Adventure Time. I dunno, these shows just have a certain charm to them. Dang, I wish Chowder wasn't being cancelled. ;_;

That's all I can think of now... I'll either edit this or make a new post whenever I can think of anything else.

Edited by Inferno da danged recolor

I still think the 90's Nickelodeon shows were the best, Rugrats, The Wild Thornberrys, Theres Something About Ginger, (Old episodes of) Spongebob Squarepants, Doug, Hey Arnold, Space Goofs, Ren and Stimpy, Argh! Real Monsters, Angry Beavers, Jimmy Neutron, Rocko's Modern Life and not forgetting the amazingness that is

IcfrvFPCGomoxzh6fj1mkzMPo1_400.gif

CATDOG

Sadly nowadays Nickelodeon is just far too real for me

CATDOG.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Ive got allot of favorites but Rockos Modern Life stands out.

I loved it as a kid. I may of not gotten the adult references but the humor in this was enough to get me hooked onto it. Now when I look at it from my current age I love it more than ever. If only somebody could make a show like this again....

Edited by Shade737

Ive got allot of favorites but Rockos Modern Life stands out.

I loved it as a kid. I may of not gotten the adult references but the humor in this was enough to get me hooked onto it. Now when I look at it from my current age I love it more than ever. If only somebody could make a show like this again....

Yeah Rocko's Modern Life and Ren and Stimpy are my all time favourite cartoons. I was amazed at the huge amount of inneundo and adult jokes I didn't understand as a kid but I love that about cartoons. I know people who don't like the old episodes of the Simpsons because they saw them all as a kid but I've found myself able to watch them day in and day out just because there's so many jokes I would never have understood as a kid.

I think it's important that cartoons have jokes and inneundo that adults can enjoy as well, it makes it that much more entertaining to rewatch the shows as an adult, though perhaps not as blatant as this

• Thumbs Up 1

Man, when I was growing up, Dexter's Lab was my drug. That was a great show, especially the 'Mock 5' episode. It is my belief that every single cartoon series on the face of the planet should parody Speed Racer at least once.

And hopefully they do it as well as this!

Edited by Unionhack
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh wow, I thought I posted in here.

Anyway, Dexters Lab was a good one when I was growing up, Earthworm Jim, Freakazoid, Animaniacs, old-school Looney Tunes. AOSTH and SatAM, that 90s Spiderman cartoon was awesome as well (RADIOACTIVE SPIDER BLOOD LOLOLZiosf). There are probably more I am forgetting that I watched, but nothing really beats that era of cartoons for me. The Lion King was a great animated movie and is one of the few Disney movies I like (though I can appreciate the others for their amazing animation, most was not my schtick). Tarzan was a great movie too by them though. Cat's Don't Dance was another animated movie that I enjoyed despite not being a big fan of musicals and hating it when movies insert these song and dance segments for no reason, though this one made sense and I guess thats why it didn't really bother me.

I am not fond of a lot of the more modern western cartoons, I think a lot of it is due to my distaste with flash. I don't mind silly flash vids on the internet but a lot of TV shows use stupid tweening and other crap it just drives me nuts, plus the look of it bothers me in general too. Not to say all work done in it is bad, there are just a lot of things done that don't look good and make the animator inside me cry =(.

Though I did see a film called Secret of The Kells I believe it was called, great animated feature imo. I enjoyed it, and I -think- there was a lot of flash work done on it too, though I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of editing went into it to make it not so flash-ey.

The Spectacular Spider-Man - While the 90s series bored me to tears, this series caught my full attention. This show is one of the few cartoons now that have a full-on continuity, and best of all consistent. The characters are full of character and they all get to show off their personalities without overshadowing Peter Parker. The Gargoyles team (lead by Greg Weisman) takes everything that is Spider-Man (Ultimate Spider-Man, the original comics, the movies) and make something completely new. And whatever they do work. The script is smart and well written. The animation is great, and the fights keep me on the edge of my seat, and they just keep getting even more epic. This show deserves a 3rd season. It stopping now would be a complete waste.

I agree with everything he said about this show, but sadly season 3 won't happen. Sony lost the rights to it awhile ago. But the good news is that they decided to animate Ultimate Spider-man instead since most of Spectacular Spider-man was influenced greatly by it.

I love cartoons as much as I love anime(I am not one to argue the differences but there are distict styles between western animation and eastern).A lot of the shows that I loved have already been mentioned so I'll just add a few.

Powerpuff Girls

I am a guy and I will admit that this show was all kinds of unadulterated awesome. Sure, the animation wasn't tops, but it was entertaining and funny as all hell. Its even watchable now since they had tons of innuendos within the show. I found it adorable when the Professor was going out on a date with the girls' teacher and cute little Bubbles(don't ever call her cute) put a condom in his shirt pocket. Blossom was my childhood girl crush...until I saw Tifa in HD.

Johnny Bravo

Screw you, guys. This show kicked ass.

Cow and Chicken

Yes, it was weird as hell. Yes, it may have been a bit vulgar. But so is Pelly. That is all.

Well, I don't watch a lot of TV nowadays but I cerntainly enjoyed a lot of the shows mentioned here as a kid (and teen):

- Animaniacs: I loved this show, thought I didn't laugh too much with the jokes there was something about the characters that I found quite charming.

- Freakzoid: Oh this was my favourite, being a kid with a real low-self esteem (still dealing with it) I actually identified myself with the main characther (forgot the name/too lazy, go google it yourself), I also loved the fact that the hero wasn't exactly doing heroic stuff, sometimes in the times of need he didn't show up because he was just too busy going in circles and screaming "wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" (for some reason I loved that scenes :lol: )

- Pinky and the Brain:I actually enjoyed this show, there were a lot of fun moments here, their gags never got old (to me) I especially liked when Brain told the people that he was a genetically enhanced laboratory mice who planned to conquer the world and nobody believed him, also, you got to love their theme. :D

- The Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat: This one was so odd that it was awesome :P

- Cartoon Cartoons: I don't want to list them all, I really loved shows like Courage, Cow and Chicken, Johnny Bravo and Dexter's Lab (honorable mention to the Justice Friends), I also liked the PPG (I heard they are still airing this show but with the girls grown up or something, I wonder how that's going?) and Samurai Jack (but never got to see the ending), oh, I almost forgot about Megas XLR, man that show was awesome (again, I couldn't see the ending).

- Nicktoons: I'm not a big fan of them, but I really liked CatDog, Spacegoofs and Sponegebob (again, I hear they still air this show, but for some reason people say it sucks now, I can't watch it so I don't know).

In the plain of anime I got to say I really liked Capitain Tsubasa, Samurai Pizza Cat's, Digimon (the first 3 seasons, couldn't watch it after that), Medabots (what?), Saint Seiya, Dragon Ball Z (didn't like the first DB [/blasphemy] ) and for odd this may sound to all of you, I really liked Sailor Moon, I foun their characters quite likable, but again, I never got to saw their ending (I think I got to see to the end of the Second Season).

I never really liked the Hanna-Barbera or the Looney Toons[/blasphemy, again], though nowadays I will be liying if I said I don't enjoy them now. :D

Edited by imarafan

Medabots series 1 was fucking awesome, the concept of small fighting robots having interchangeable parts was fantastic and the execution was marvellous, one of the best amines I've ever watched. The Rubber Robo Gang are like an alternate universe Team Rocket as well, love it.

Sadly series 2 was a trainwreck, Medabots can no longer change their parts (WHHHHHY!?), instead they have Transformers style vehicle forms, many main characters were axed (including the Rubber Robo Gang >_>) and evil Medabots were introduced. Fuck dat.