Awoo.

The General American Politics Thread

turbojet

I typically try to avoid political threads in regards to the elections but I'll add in my two bits in regards to this. I am a moderate and I have to say Obama did the best he could under these circumstances. Would I re-elect him? Yes. Am I worried about the opposition? Yes because their views offend me on several levels. Am I worried about the direction this country will head on election day? Yes because if I didn't worry then I need to have my head examined. There that's my thoughts on what is going on in my mind in regards to this. See you come November on this topic.

Every election, we always talk about the 3rd party candidate taking away votes from the party. Honestly, they only become a factor only in close elections. This is also why I do not like Nader too much...

I'd like to mention that if Ron Paul ends up running as an independent he's going to split the vote, a phenomenon comically explained by some British cats (I think?) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiHuiDD_oTk.

Unless Obama is photographed clubbing BP-surviving baby seals with illegal immigrants who he later has both treated with socialized medicine, Republicans aren't going to win.

They've already split the party themselves by basically going out of their way to sabotage Romney even though he was the one who was obviously going to win in the first place. The only thing Paul running as an independant would do is make it so it's a complete landslide rather than just a 2008-esque loss.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

Unless Obama is photographed clubbing BP-surviving baby seals with illegal immigrants who he later has both treated with socialized medicine, Republicans aren't going to win.

I want to see this shit. I have a horribly hilarious image in my head.

• Thumbs Up 7

This bothers me. I honestly do not think that Ron Paul could run as an independent and "split the vote" like you think. He'd also have no support if somehow he'd win. He'd be a figurehead president. Unless he had backing of a party if he'd be useless.

I also don't think he's as popular enough to manage to pull people out of "only vote Republican/Democrat" thought cycle.

Tell that to Al Gore and the Ralph Nader.

• Thumbs Up 1

This bothers me. I honestly do not think that Ron Paul could run as an independent and "split the vote" like you think.

All the people that would ordinarily vote for him on the Republican ticket would follow him to however he ran, and most of them would just as soon not vote at all than vote for Romney even if Paul endorsed him (which he almost certainly will not).

All the people that would ordinarily vote for him on the Republican ticket would follow him to however he ran, and most of them would just as soon not vote at all than vote for Romney even if Paul endorsed him (which he almost certainly will not).

However, you've also gotta consider how many people support him but would "vote Romney to get Obama out" as they'd say. :V

Would Ron Paul's voting bloc really be that way inclined, though? The way I understand it, from posts in here, they vote Paul or not at all.

However, you've also gotta consider how many people support him but would "vote Romney to get Obama out" as they'd say. :V

People who support Paul are libertarian at most so why would they support a candidate that is essentially the same damn candidate as the opponent in everything they care about?

People who support Paul are libertarian at most so why would they support a candidate that is essentially the same damn candidate as the opponent in everything they care about?

You're implying that all of them are. There will be plenty who don't particularly agree with the Republican Party's current movement but will still vote Republican because the don't like the Democrats.

That's honestly what will happen. Ron Paul would get a lot of supporters who don't tactically vote. The kitten video did point out Tactical Voting.

But that's just my understanding of politics. I'll assume I'm wrong and bow out.

Edited by DarkOverord

I don't think Paul will run on a third party. He knew he couldn't be the nominee, and he really runs just to spread out his views. I respect him for that, even though most of his views are bat shit crazy (he's right about us being imperialist bastards, though).

Some interesting, and rather disturbing, news from Arizona*:

Obama May Be Off The Ballot In Arizona – Is It Crazy Birtherism Or Plain Old Voter Suppression? (AUDIO & VIDEO)

If Arizona’s Secretary of State, Ken Bennett, has his way, the President won’t win Arizona. He might not even have the chance, because he won’t be on the ballot.

In an interview with KFYI radio, Mike Broomhead prefaced the interview by saying that this sort of thing wasn’t typical for Bennett and asked about speculation that it was a purely political move, that Bennett was playing to the birther crowd to promote a future run for governor.

Bennett goes on to say that he sent the request and eight weeks later, has had no response other than a request by the State of Hawaii (which has spent the last four years being inundated with such requests) that Bennett prove that he has the authority to ask.

When asked what he will do if Hawaii refuses to comply, Bennett said he would consider removing the President from the ballot, “Or the other option would be I would ask all of candidates, including the president, maybe to submit a certified copy of their birth certificate. But I don’t want to do that.”

Here’s the audio: [Link]

Apparently, Bennett feels that 1200 emails gives him a mandate. Even if we assume that each of those emails came from a different person, in a state of over 6 million people, that’s hardly impressive, especially after Sheriff Arpaio nominated himself birther in chief, bringing the issue into the forefront in Arizona.

Perhaps there is a bigger and more insidious agenda than threatening to withhold the President from the ballot in Arizona. Even with his name on the ballot, it’s highly unlikely that Obama will win the Grand Canyon State. However, Obama will be far from the only Democrat running for office in Arizona. Blocking the top Democrat from appearing on the ticket may de-motivate enough Democrats from voting that it could sway some close congressional, state and local elections.

If you’re looking for the birther issue to die down, don’t hold your breath. On Thursday, Breitbart.com drudged (pun intended) an oldie but goodie, that Obama’s old editor mistakenly said the then Senator was born in Kenya. From the Atlantic:

Not surprisingly, the memoir conspiracy has been debunked, not that it will matter to birthers.

Why does the birther conspiracy live on? First off, Americans love conspiracies. Secondly, there are a lot of people who simply cannot accept that a darker than white person is President. Perhaps more importantly, birtherism is big money. Rachel Maddow did this expose:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnoavD0CaCo

But even more significantly, birtherism inflames passion, which inflames activism. Birther activism (like Secretary Bennett’s 1200 emails) provides just enough democratic cover to allow politicians to do decidedly undemocratic things. If these last couple of days are any indication, the right-wing media is doing their part to ensure that the birther flame remains ignited. As a sane person, you’ll be tempted to ignore or laugh at birthers. Debunking them will do very little, since they want to believe, they truly want to believe, that something just ain’t right in the “White” House. No evidence based facts will tell them otherwise. But the truth about birtherism is that it’s no laughing matter.

Perhaps my own theory about potential voter suppression in Arizona is just that, a conspiracy theory, but the more riled up they can keep their base about the issue, the more likely that even more states will remove Obama from the ticket and the better their odds of locking up a few more Republican seats.

Source: http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/05/18/obama-arizona/

I just don't know what to say about all this. I really don't. I desperately want for sense to prevail, for "birthers" to fade away into the history books, for Obama not to be denied the ticket based on the continuing paranoia, racism and outright idiocy of a vocal few, but I fear that as long as Obama is around, they will follow in his wake like a flock of menacing, annoying Seagulls.

*You remember, it's one of those states whose Republican leadership is trying its darndest to make womens' healthcare more restrictive than ever before.

Quoted for the new page:

Some interesting, and rather disturbing, news from Arizona*:

Source: http://www.addicting.../obama-arizona/

I just don't know what to say about all this. I really don't. I desperately want for sense to prevail, for "birthers" to fade away into the history books, for Obama not to be denied the ticket based on the continuing paranoia, racism and outright idiocy of a vocal few, but I fear that as long as Obama is around, they will follow in his wake like a flock of menacing, annoying Seagulls.

*You remember, it's one of those states whose Republican leadership is trying its darndest to make womens' healthcare more restrictive than ever before.

I don't want to live in this country anymore.

Every time I take a look at American news online, I seem to come ever closer to the conclusion that, as a direct result of Mr. Obama's election, a whole bunch of Americans went off the deep end...

• Thumbs Up 1

"I'm not a birther, but I'm going to indulge in the baseless complaints of the birther movement in order to stick it to the President."

That's either petty politics, lying about his position on the birther movement (the "at least I hope he was born there!" bit did not sit well with me), voter suppression, good ol' fashioned racism, or a combination of; I can't tell which. Regardless, it's Arizona politics. I'm not surprised.

Oh blatant disguised racism, how I simultaneously get a kick out of and loathe thee. I figured this crap was over but, I guess Arizona is late to the party.

After reading that post Pat my fucktard detector just went off the scales! Seriously I feel bad for any sane intelligent beings that live in Arizona right now! sleep.png

As much as the whole Arizona thing is BS, it wouldn't take Obama long to just go to Hawaii, get the document and then go to Arizona to personally shove it in the guy's face. Better to nip these kinds of things in the bud before they get too much press.

Edited by Gerkuman

Obama should not be ascribing legitimacy to these bithers' claims by actually bothering to go and get his birth certificate, something he's already done anyway. The best and only way he should be responding to them from now on is like this:

[media=]

Screw the birthers and any Republicans that have not actively denounced them. It's a disgrace and ruffles my jimmies about how the majority of them when confronted with a birther immediately become passive-aggressive, their usual answer to the question being, "I don't know whether he is or isn't." It's cowardly.

• Thumbs Up 6

As much as the whole Arizona thing is BS, it wouldn't take Obama long to just go to Hawaii, get the document and then go to Arizona to personally shove it in the guy's face. Better to nip these kinds of things in the bud before they get too much press.

• Thumbs Up 2

Even so, a Secretary of State is going to not put you on the ballot. That's not the sort of idiocy you sit back and take. "Oh well, looks like I've lost that state."