Awoo.

The General American Politics Thread

turbojet

Please, Obama may be backed by corperations (this year even less), but Romney RAN A HUGE CORPERATE COMPANY. His job was to buy struggling compainies, then bankrupt them on purpose to make a profit.

Because that matters? You think he's going to do corporate raids to the entire country? Also, fun fact: Obamacare was one of, if not the, most hilariously corporatist bills made since probably DMCA. Insurance companies were pleading the government to pass it, because they are going to make off like bandits once/if all of the provisions go into effect.

And, for the last time: Obama already gave the Republicans what they wanted. They got their tax cuts. They got their last chance status invoke on Iran to justify the war that is almost imminent at this point. They've gotten every thing they've wanted ever since 2009, because Obama both lost his spine for the few things that he does differ on them over and doesn't actually disagree with them over that many things in the first place. The only thing the Republicans really want right now that Obama won't give them and they can't force anyway is the repealing of Obamacare. And even if they got Romney in the presidency, there is a fair chance that they couldn't do it anyway.

And you keep saying congress wouldn't allow Romney to make major changes.

No. Actually I'm saying that outside of absurdly specific what-if scenarios that are far removed from what is likely to happen, the doom and gloom situations you keep presenting as absolute certainties if Romney wins the presidency are silly. And you are presenting them as if they will come to pass simply if Romney wins the presidency, completely ignoring everything else. The chances of America going to war with Iran don't change by any large amount whether Romney wins or Obama wins. The chances of the middle class being hunted for sport by the rich don't change at all whether Romney wins or Obama wins.

What if the senate, currently Democratic, was replaced by a Republican congress next year? They'll have the senate, the house, the supreme court, and the presidency. We'll have no check and balences, and one party rule that can do anything it wants. It could be WORSE than the Bush years.

Yes. If Romney wins the presidency, and completely changes his ideological makeup so it is actually similar to Bush's (because, again, Romney is about as extreme in his views as a bar of soap), and suddenly pulls a bunch of political savviness out of his ass (since he hasn't had any so far), and the Senate and House both have a complete turnover to a filibuster-proof Republican makeup (after spending the past 2 years shooting themselves in the foot), and the Supreme Court suddenly turns into a political battleground (by which I mean it actually always votes along party lines), and the country gets itself back into the 9/11 mindset after over half a decade of war-wariness; then yes. Then things could certainly be worse than they were when Bush was president for his second term. But until all of those things happen, stop acting as if Romney winning the presidency means everyone who isn't a Fortune 500 CEO is doomed.

Don't take this personally, but you need get a more practical grasp of politics rather than just regurgitating stuff that sounds like it came from a first year political science class. "Democrats Good, Republicans Bad" is not an informed opinion; because there are only a handful of elected officials over both parties who actually conform to the foundations of said parties or to their own political platforms.

Edited by Tornado

Because that matters? You think he's going to do corporate raids to the entire country? Also, fun fact: Obamacare was one of, if not
the
, most hilariously corporatist bills made since probably DMCA. Insurance companies were
pleading
the government to pass it, because they are going to make off like bandits once/if all of the provisions go into effect.
Edited by Jay Rockman

Uh, Jay. WTF, man?

I'm no good in politic myself but you're coming off as a very paranoid person regarding the politics here. Just about everything you said was completely baseless, and again this is coming from someone who sucks at understanding the politics.

Then you went about talking about the racists in this country. You could at the very least be consistent in what your talking about.

• Thumbs Up 1

Uh, Jay. WTF, man?

I'm no good in politic myself but you're coming off as a very paranoid person regarding the politics here. Just about everything you said was completely baseless, and again this is coming from someone who sucks at understanding the politics.

Then you went about talking about the racists in this country. You could at the very least be consistent in what your talking about.

I mentioned that there good points made, and I couldn't back up what I'm saying, so I said they made a good point. To move the topic on, I posted the hate thing.

in a nutshell: I lost.

I guess I'll make the hate thing in it's own topic.

Edited by Jay Rockman

Found this article

http://www.addicting...tive-president/

Let me post my "favorite" one:

15. “The idea is that the state doesn’t have rights to limit individuals’ wants and passions. I disagree with that. I think we absolutely have rights because there are consequences to letting people live out whatever wants or passions they desire.”

~Rick Santorum, declaring that government has the right to limit people from pursuing their dreams.

Edited by PSI Freeze
  • Thumbs Up 1

Religion shouldn't matter in being a Leader, but why the hell it does in America, it really bothers me? sleep.png

Plus its more of a personal principle as I hate mormons, religion in general to be honest.

It doesn't matter, but when your religion has a founding tenets of polygamy, elitism based on divine success, and stating that dark skin is a curse, then yeah, it matters. Not to mention Romney, in general, has avoided any question about how close he is in with his Mormon beliefs and that Mormonism is rather secretive.

Edited by turbojet

It doesn't matter, but when your religion has a founding tenets of polygamy, elitism based on divine success, and stating that dark skin is a curse, then yeah, it matters. Not to mention Romney, in general, has avoided any question about how close he is in with his Mormon beliefs and that Mormonism is rather secretive.

A very fair point, but even if he's a religious Mormon, I have to give the benefit of the doubt to the extent he takes it. Plenty of modern Jews are also atheists and I doubt all Scientologists accept take Dianetics as the literal origin of Earth. Organized religion is more malleable than the faithful think. Plus he only has one wife, so he doesn't necessarily accept polygamy. Hell, Newt Gingrich is more likely to believe in that.

• Thumbs Up 1

It doesn't seem to me like there really should be much of a worry about Romney being a hardcore, change-shit-to-advance-my-beliefs Mormon, because I wouldn't think he would have ever been governor of Massachusetts if he was.

I wonder if there's be any way for him to ban that posthumous baptism shit?? That crap's just offensive to the families of the sometimes not long deceased, it doesn't need to be there at all and it just seems like some kind of religious trolling/god-modding to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

There wouldn't be anything Romney could do. Banning the practice would go well against the first amendment. This is indeed extremely offensive, but legally I'm pretty sure the government's hands are tied on that one.

People have a right to be worried about mormonism. It's too soon to forget the last horror mormon-advocates inflicted upon the unsuspecting populace:

The_twilight_saga_hardback.jpg

Edited by Grumpy Old Guy
  • Thumbs Up 7

People have a right to be worried about mormonism. It's too soon to forget the last horror mormon-advocates inflicted upon the unsuspecting populace:

The_twilight_saga_hardback.jpg

Poor Bela Lugosi is turning in his grave! sad.png

Has anyone here read the Book of Mormon? I have a copy the missionaries gave me when they knocked on the door a few years ago. It's batshit crazy.

Has anyone here read the Book of Mormon? I have a copy the missionaries gave me when they knocked on the door a few years ago. It's batshit crazy.

No, but I SAW the Book of Mormon. It was also batshit crazy, but infinitely easier to accept into my life.

Well if you ever read it, the batshit starts on page one, where they tell you the book was written from plates of gold, buried by the "historian" Mormon himself!

Edited by Jay Rockman

• 4 weeks later...

So, with the Wisconsin and D.C. primaries done, it seems that Romney is going to be the GOP candidate for the general election. Just don't tell Santorum or Gingrich that: Santorum met with some religious leaders Wednesday to discuss campaign strategies and ways to discredit Romney further, and Gingrich is staying in the race out of sheer bullheadedness.

Does the Michigan thing that we talked about earlier have anything to do with GOP?

Does the Michigan thing that we talked about earlier have anything to do with GOP?

Uhm, yes, it has everything to do with the Republican Party... in that region at least.

We are witnessing a near silent coup. On Thursday’s Rachel Maddow show, she profiled the State of Michigan. The state’s Governor, Rick Snyder, has dismantled democracy.

Snyder was elected in 2010 and it started almost immediately. One of his first actions as governor of the financially hard-hit state was to essentially declare martial law by taking away all local government control from poor cities, having them run by a non-elected manager instead.

Michigan is one of several Republican run states that is severely restricting voter rights. They are trying to strip unions of bargaining rights.

Michigan’s constitution allows for 90 days between the passage of a bill and its implementation. The reason is twofold. It gives people and businesses who would be affected by the law a chance to make any necessary adjustments. It also allows time to appeal the law. The constitution also allows for emergency situations, allowing the law to have immediate effect. However, for a law to have immediate effect, it requires a 2/3rds vote in the Legislature.

Republicans do not have a 2/3rds majority, but nonetheless, they have passed over 500 bills under “immediate effect.” How does that work? As Maddow shows, they aren’t even counting the votes. That’s right; Democrats’ votes are not even being counted.

The Democrats sued and won, at least for now, and it will put every piece of legislation passed by the GOP into legal question.

http://www.addicting...s-expose-video/

Obviously not all GOP states are like that, though it sure feels like they are sometimes, what with all the bad news emanating from within their borders (usually regarding abortions and such).