Awoo.

The General American Politics Thread

turbojet

So, with the Wisconsin and D.C. primaries done, it seems that Romney is going to be the GOP candidate for the general election. Just don't tell Santorum or Gingrich that: Santorum met with some religious leaders Wednesday to discuss campaign strategies and ways to discredit Romney further, and Gingrich is staying in the race out of sheer bullheadedness.

Santorum and Gingrich have not accepted that they lost, and I have a feeling that they will take this to the convention Good luck, GOP!

The longer they stay divided, the further they'll fall come the general election this autumn, although the Democrats won and they were divided well into the summer weren't they?

I just wonder if they realize that the more they spend fighting each other, the less time they have to get organized against Obama, who's taking advantage of the GOP's current agendas and schism to take a stance for women and LGBT rights (at least, for the LGBT, every right sans marriage, though Obama's administration is asking him to support same-sex marriage), which can only help him get more independent voters.

Edited by Modern Tom

The longer they stay divided, the further they'll fall come the general election this autumn, although the Democrats won and they were divided well into the summer weren't they?

Because Hilary turned around and said "Obama is a pretty cool guy. eh makes me SecState and doesn't afraid of anything."

Because Hilary turned around and said "Obama is a pretty cool guy. eh makes me SecState and doesn't afraid of anything."

Do any of the current crop of GOP contenders have her kind of influence? Just curious.

Nah. Gingrich might have at one point, but that that ship sailed awhile ago (MOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNN!). And Paul would never back any of the other ones, so all of his supporters are going to go with him.

Obviously not all GOP states are like that, though it sure feels like they are sometimes, what with all the bad news emanating from within their borders (usually regarding abortions and such).

Include evolution and global warming into the mix as well.

http://thinkprogress.org/green/2012/03/21/448803/tennessee-passes-monkey-bill-to-teach-the-controversy-on-evolution-and-climate-science/

On Monday, the Tennessee state legislature passed legislation that requires public schools to teach the “controversy” over evolution, global warming, and human cloning:

The Senate voted 24-8 for HB368, which sponsor Sen. Bo Watson, R-Hixson, says will provide guidelines for teachers answering students’ questions about evolution, global warming and other scientific subjects. Critics call it a “monkey bill” that promotes creationism in classrooms.

In 1925, Tennessee was the home of the Scopes monkey trial, where local jurors upheld the conviction of a biology teacher for teaching evolution in his classroom, tarring the reputation of the state. Climate denial legislation has become widespread across the United States, in part due to the efforts of the corporate-funded right-wing American Legislative Exchange Council.

The text of HB368 / SB893, sponsored by Rep. Bill Dunn (R-Knoxville) and Sen. Bo Watson (R-Hixson), requires all administrators and educators to work to teach “scientific subjects” such as “biological evolution, the chemical origins of life, global warming, and human cloning” as “scientific controversies“:

The teaching of some scientific subjects, including, but not limited to, biological evolution, the chemical origins of life, global warming, and human cloning, can cause controversy . . . The state board of education, public elementary and secondary school governing authorities, directors of schools, school system administrators, and public elementary and secondary school principals and administrators shall endeavor to assist teachers to find effective ways to present the science curriculum as it addresses scientific controversies.

The National Association of Biology Teachers, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the American Civil Liberties Union of Tennessee, the American Institute for Biological Sciences, the Knoxville News Sentinel, the Nashville Tennessean, the National Association of Geoscience Teachers, the National Earth Science Teachers Association, the Tennessee Science Teachers Association, and all eight Tennessee members of the National Academy of Sciences oppose the legislation.

The bill now goes to Gov. Bill Haslam (R-TN) for his signature.

Also on Monday, a bill to permit the display of the Ten Commandments in public buildings (HB2658) passed the Tennessee House by a vote of 93-9.

Tennessee repealed its anti-evolution statute in 1967. Now it's looking to re-invoke it and include climate change along with it.

Edited by Modern Tom

I may be misreading the article, but I'm not seeing how it actually does that based on what is shown

Include evolution and global warming into the mix as well.

http://thinkprogress...limate-science/

Tennessee repealed its anti-evolution statute in 1967. Now it's looking to re-invoke it and include climate change along with it.

If this is true, excuse while I get my rocking chair and play on my banjo! dry.png

And Paul would never back any of the other ones,

Unless his son has a chance to be V-POTUS.

Edited by Big Gerk

Unless his son has a chance to be V-POTUS.

No. Not even then. Never means never.

Remember that the GOP hates both of them anyway.

Edited by Tornado

Do any of the current crop of GOP contenders have her kind of influence? Just curious.

They have no one. That's how they got Romney, the most boring presidential candidate ever.

Edited by Jay Rockman

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/04/06/460038/scott-walker-gender-pay/

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker ® quietly signed a bill last night that repeals a law that gave women and others more power to challenge wage discrimination. The Equal Pay Enforcement Act, passed in 2009, gave employers more power to press charges against employers to challenge unfair pay practices, allowing people to plead their case in state courts, instead of the more costly federal court system.

The state legislature passed the Republican-backed repeal bill on party-line votes last week, and Walker waited until almost the last possible minute before signing it. As the Huffington Post’s Amanda Terkel explains, the Equal Pay Enforcement Act could have helped women in the badger state:

Scott Walker is facing a recall election in a few months, so this seems more like he's butthurt to me than anything else.

Shit like that really pisses me off not just for women but for people who disablities and anybody else it effects.sleep.png

Okay, it just CANNOT be a fucking coincidence that these politicians are trying to control women and limit any rights they have.

I say that because unlike many of you, I've been a bit doubtful that they're waging a "War on Women" and believing more that they just don't know what the hell they're talking about. But after seeing more than enough bills and claims that are flat out attacking women, I just can't look at them in the dark anymore. I can't believe they're making such blatant attempts like this.

I honestly don't think the GOP is gonna have a good standing for a long time, mainly because of these people giving them such a bad rep among a lot of the public.

Okay, it just CANNOT be a fucking coincidence that these politicians are trying to control women and limit any rights they have.

I say that because unlike many of you, I've been a bit doubtful that they're waging a "War on Women" and believing more that they just don't know what the hell they're talking about. But after seeing more than enough bills and claims that are flat out attacking women, I just can't look at them in the dark anymore. I can't believe they're making such blatant attempts like this.

Yet at the same time, some GOP members are claiming that there is no war on women. So either they're callous, or just stupid.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/04/05/rnc-chair-reince-preibus-compares-women-to-insects-says-there-is-no-war-against-women-video/

Across the country, Republicans are waging an unmerciful war against women. Right wing politicians in multiple states have pushed bills forcing women to undergo transvaginal ultrasounds also known as state sanctioned rape, bills that restrict when a woman can have an abortion, bills that seek to imprison doctors who perform abortions, and bills that would severely restrict women’s access to contraception. Not even a month has gone by since Georgia Republican Terry England compared women to cattle, and now, RNC Chairman Reince Preibus has gone even lower than that.

During an interview on Political Capital with Al Hunt on Bloomberg TV that will air this weekend, Preibus compared women to insects and claimed that there is no war against women.

“If the Democrats said we had a war on caterpillars and every mainstream media outlet talked about the fact that Republicans have a war on caterpillars, then we’d have problems with caterpillars. It’s a fiction.”

Here’s the video:

Reince Preibus says the war against women is comparable to a war against caterpillars. He is comparing women to insects. Later on in the program, DNC Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman-Shultz responded: “The jury of women across America have ruled that the Republicans have been unbelievably extreme and out of touch and hyper-focused on cultural issues,” she said, referring to a recent USAToday/Gallup Poll that shows the exodus of women from the Republican Party to the Democrats. Democrats now lead Republicans among women in swing states by a margin of 18 points.

The guy managed to simultaneously deny the war on women, and then recant that by comparing them to insects. Lol.

Santorum's out:

Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum, the socially conservative former senator who was Mitt Romney’s chief remaining rival for the GOP nomination, said on Tuesday he was suspending his White House bid.

Santorum announced his decision in Gettysburg, a day after his 3-year-old daughter, Bella, was released from the hospital. It was the second time the toddler, who has a severe genetic disorder called Trisomy 18, had been hospitalized during his campaign.

"This presidential race for us is over ... and we will suspend our campaign effective today," Santorum said as he stood surrounded by his family.

A campaign staffer told National Journal that Santorum broke the news to staff in a 1:30 p.m. conference call. His wife, Karen, also got on the phone to thank everyone for their hard work.

Santorum did not endorse Romney in his Gettysburg speech. But John Brabender, Santorum's senior strategist, said Santorum had spoken to Romney and that Romney requested a meeting in the "near future."

"This race was as improbable as any race that you will ever see for president," Santorum said, referring to his shoestring operation that started out with tireless traipsing across Iowa.

The grassroots approach yielded a belated 34-vote victory in the lead-off Iowa caucuses after a recount. Santorum went on to win primaries and caucuses in Minnesota, Colorado, Missouri, North Dakota, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Kansas, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana. But as of Tuesday he had only 285 convention delegates toward the 1,144 needed to clinch the nomination, less than half of Romney’s total, according to an Associated Press count.

Polls showed Santorum was in for a tough fight April 24 in his home state primary in Pennsylvania. He had called it a must-win and was trying to make a comeback after a stinging defeat in 2006. That year, he lost his bid for re-election to the Senate by 17 points.

Linky.

• Thumbs Up 5

Well we sure dodged a bullet there, actually more like dodged a shotgun round. Who's the one we gotta look out for now?

• Thumbs Up 1

As a newb, (but reading a couple of posts back) I'm just curious, but why do America want to bomb and/or invade Iran?

Surely this line of thinking can't be a good thing.

As far as I'm aware, it's because they believe Iran is illegally working on a nuclear programme that has the potential of threatening other nations.

As far as I'm aware, it's because they believe Iran is illegally working on a nuclear programme that has the potential of threatening other nations.

But are Iran the only country doing this? And shouldn't they the consult other nations before deciding to bomb/invade them\?

But are Iran the only country doing this?

Other than North Korea, pretty much. But North Korea is much more China's thing to deal with than ours.

Edit: And by "ours" I mean "the Western nations."

And shouldn't they the consult other nations before deciding to bomb/invade them\?

Honestly? That depends entirely on your opinion of how relevant the United Nations is post-9/11.

Edited by Tornado

OBAMA VS ROMNEY 2012

THE BATTLE OF THE MUSLIM AND THE MORMON

So what Romney won the Republican Nomination? Oh Jesus fucking christ! dry.png

Other than North Korea, pretty much. But North Korea is much more China's thing to deal with than ours.

Sadly China won't do shit, just like they won't support tougher sanctions in Syira.sleep.png

Edited by BW199148