Awoo.

The General American Politics Thread

turbojet

Trump has said that the US may not defend some NATO members if Russia were to attack them.

This both very scary and one of the dumbest things to ever say. If strongly underestimates how important NATO is. We were given assistance by NATO after the 9/11 attack anc to not assist our fellow NATO members if something were to happen would severely damage our reputation on the world stage. It gets worse though.

Trump also says in the Times interview that he would not criticize Turkey for cracking down on political opponents and restricting civil liberties.

Trump says the U.S. has no "right to lecture" other countries when "people are shooting policemen in cold blood."

We're witnessing the rise of an Islamic dictatorship and his excuse of "people are shooting police" is a very poor one. What's happening in Turkey has very serious implications around the world.

Also of note, they're playing "You can't always get what you want" right ater Trump's acceptance speech. Oh the irony!

I swear, this guy makes G.W. Bush's presidency seem decent.

How can the RNC stoop this low? (don't answer that)

Former leader of the Ku Klux Klan, David Duke, motivated by Trump's momentum, is now running for Senate for Louisiana.

Y'know, in case you were hesitant to believe Trump's campaign was infectious.

You know what the bad part about that is? It's that he has a non zero chance of winning considering he was a a sitting politician in the state before...in the 80s.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/07/23/us/politics/dnc-emails-sanders-clinton.html

So a bunch of DNC emails have been leaked. One of the bigger impacts this has had is bringing the DNC's impartiality during the primary into question. It's going to be interesting to see if this has any impact in the next couple of days, especially with he DNC coming up on Monday 

The last thing the Clinton campaign needs is the confirmation of the Sanders campaign's long-running accusations of bias within the DNC. Hopefully they'll all just be able to ignore and forget about it, but I expect vocal Sanders supporters to renew their calls for him to rescind his endorsement of the woman. He shouldn't listen.

Clinton's focus at the DNC must remain unbroken, and it must be economics and economic inequality all the way down, which would make Trump's crime and terrorism speech look like he's addressing secondary and tertiary matters above primary ones.

RE NATO: It's no surprise that Trump is already making room for future inaction regarding NATO members being attacked, for example when Russia makes a play for the Baltic states, or tries to export its little "Ukrainian civil war" project westward. The man is totally enamored by mafia president Putin, and it's plainly obvious that he's going to bend over backwards (on the rare occasions when he isn't delegating all presidential responsibilities to Pence) to accommodate him.

Given the way critics of Putin are treated, and how Trump wants to make it so much easier to sue and/or target in general anybody who doesn't write glowingly about him in the press, it's no surprise he loves the man so much: Putin is living the presidential life Trump dreams of.

While all NATO members have obligations toward the group, what Trump looks like he's essentially doing is setting up a protection racket - you pay up, we protect you. No more money, Uncle Vlad gets to come in and do whatever. He knows that some countries may not be able to live up to their side of the bargain all of the time, so this is also like a gift to Putin.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/trump-putin-yes-it-s-really-a-thing

Trump is being reprieved from bankruptcy by financiers close to Vladimir Putin, because he's blacklisted from every major American bank, has staffers who were previously close to Putin and his organisation. He's coincidentally very pro-Russia, as well as very anti-NATO. But sure, Hilary's a crook or whatever, fuck political and financial cronyism, right? 

I continue to believe this is the shittiest election in a long time.

Trump will make America a joke. He buys into the false narrative our superpower status makes us invincible, when much of what we accomplish is with the help of our allies, even through something as simple as base rights. If we don't stand by our allies, we only become weaker.

It's why we continue to side with Israel and Taiwan, even as we try to court their enemies in the Arab world and China, respectively. 

• Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, Raccoonatic Ogilvie said:

I continue to believe this is the shittiest election in a long time.

Trump will make America a joke. He buys into the false narrative our superpower status makes us invincible, when much of what we accomplish is with the help of our allies, even through something as simple as base rights. If we don't stand by our allies, we only become weaker.

It's why we continue to side with Israel and Taiwan, even as we try to court their enemies in the Arab world and China, respectively. 

Is it bad that I have a mental image of Trump broadcasting live about leading America into World War III with the intent of conquering the world for the prosperity of the American Empire, only for every major world power to nuke the area to hell, thus sending America back to the Jurassic era?

• Thumbs Up 1

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/voting-rights-virginia_us_5792a0f4e4b02d5d5ed1b7fc

The Supreme Court of Virginia struck down the Governor's blanket amnesty for ex convicts, finding no grounds for that use of his pardoning power. 

The Governor's response? He's begun issuing individual pardons for them.

The GOP is freaking out given the high likelihood most of the ex-convicts voting for Clinton and thus tipping the state for her. They're griping that it's a political move, claiming the colorblind language (undermining law and order and all that) that we all know is horseshit given the strong interest of many Southerners in maintaining the new Jim Crow.

Disenfranchising ex-felons so broadly is unjust given the way our justice system works. Even in absence of discrimination, the justice system relies on plea bargains to function... meaning there's a high chance of innocent people being disenfranchised, as a lot of people sign them for the convenience of not dealing with the courts.

• Thumbs Up 1

The GOP is griping about what is essentially states' rights in action? Huh. You don't say.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

The GOP is griping about what is essentially states' rights in action? Huh. You don't say.

GOP: We only care about state's rights when it benefits us!

• Thumbs Up 4

Can't help but think "Good riddance" given the shady stuff that's been going on in the DNC.

14 hours ago, Burnt Ash said:

Apparently, she's taking up a position within the Clinton campaign, as if that won't needlessly provide Trump with ammunition; questions about the legitimacy of Clinton's candidacy and whatnot. DWS needs to be as far away from the campaign as she can get.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I kind of cringed reading that bit. At this point, I'm kind of worried that the Democrats will screw this up massively and increase the chances of a Trump presidency.

In other news, Trump is leading in these two polls, one by CNN, and the other by the LATimes:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/25/politics/donald-trump-hillary-clinton-poll/index.html

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-convention-bounce-20160725-snap-htmlstory.html

This could be from a post convention bump, but I'm not sure if that's the entire story. I guess things will be a little more clear after the DNC.

Trump was always expected to get a polling bump out of the convention and/or his big speech, and I'm confident that Clinton's convention bump will even things out this time next week.

I'm a little concerned that this email fiasco and DWS taking up residence in the Clinton campaign is going to drive a wedge between her and Sanders' support base, whom she'll be relying on in November. In that light, picking Kaine as the VP choice could turn out to be a big mistake, as he is unlikely to reassure and inspire left-wing supporters like someone of Warren's calibre could.

• Thumbs Up 2

You would think WikiLeaks would have dropped credible info about DNC hijinks right after Clinton's nomination was secured if they had this information for all this time.

You know, instead of waiting two weeks later.

But at any rate, keep in mind that those going to conventions such as these are the most politically invigorated of the people out there. That also means they are the most strident and the least unwilling to compromise on any one thing ever. These Bernie supporters out there today had no intention of ever listening to Hillary or the DNC and be willing to hear and take in what they had to say. Their goal was to have one last hurrah as being the poster child of the new-age hippie rebels.

90% of Bernie supporters have already decided they will vote for Clinton in November. These guys were the remaining 10%.

I mean, yes the speech did fall into the fear mongering people are doing with Trump, however like what was said I do not believe Sanders betrayed anyone. I mean during his campaign, he never once bashed Clinton. I mean he disagrees with some of her policies yes but it is expected.

As for the fear mongering itself, I REALLY do not understand those who scare people into voting for someone they just do not like. Isn't part of the voting process is to vote for someone YOU would think would be a good fit and not be pressured by anyone? To be honest, the Bernie or bust people are not being ridiculous. They have every right to be angry because of those emails and they are showing it. and for the love of god, they do NOT need to support Clinton. I mean there is a 3rd party candidate most of them are gonna vote for that is like a female Sanders. That and they can always write his name on the ticket. Not voting for Clinton =/= voting for Trump. There is a good chance because of this Dr. Stein could trump Trump (lol) but we shall see. 

The absolute mathematical fact is that we live in a voting system that trends towards two- and only two- outcomes in any given large-scale election after enough of them have come to pass, meaning until we change our voting system to a more proportional system, then your only choice if you don't get your perfect candidate is to vote strategically. If Hilary isn't getting votes, then the only thing that happens is that Trump closes the gap on her. If enough people who would have otherwise voted for a Democratic ticket decide to abstain or vote for third parties this cycle, then Trump wins the presidency. A Green Party candidate isn't winning this shit.

And people pressure others to vote for the best outcome because policy has lasting, real-world effects on living human beings. This isn't a vote equivalent to whether or not you want burgers or tacos tonight, which is the same short-sighted, lackadaisical attitude that led to Brexit. We're voting on someone who is going to affect our relationships with other countries and subsequently world and economic stability, who is going to elect Supreme Court justices that may or may not repeal women's health rights, voting rights, and gay rights, who is going to have the power to enact executive orders for a whole bunch of things that we cannot directly control.

The fact is that the choice entitled white folks who are used to getting their political way and immature anti-establishment types are battling with right now for some weird reason is either a stable-to-progressive-ish America under an actual politician or an unstable, more oppressive wildcard America under a racist shitty businessman, either of which we will have to deal with for the next 20+ years. You better believe there's some pressure right now on people to just bite the bullet and do the smart fucking thing, and if people don't understand that and we hand this presidency off to Trump, I don't want anyone who suffers from it but still didn't vote for Hilary to bitch about it. You get what you vote for.

• Thumbs Up 7

Anyone know where I can watch the DNC happening right now?

Here's the live stream on YouTube. Bill Clinton is about to speak, I believe.