Awoo.

The General American Politics Thread

turbojet

I wonder how he would feel if the state he lived in decided by popular vote that all males should be forcefully castrated.

Don't know why, but if that ever happened to me, I feel like I'd become a domestic terrorist out of spite in that country.

You think it's fine to put the rights of a maligned group of people up for popular vote in the first place just because voting is a right in the country? I wonder how he would feel if the state he lived in decided by popular vote that all males should be forcefully castrated.

Edit: reread, sorry thought this was in relation to ''You shouldn't vote Mitt Romney because he's not liberal jazz''. I do not know much about the leglisture of the subject of gay marriage in the states to comment,but I assume something similar to civil partnership in the UK.

Carry On.

Edited by blackherox

Don't know why, but if that ever happened to me, I feel like I'd become a domestic terrorist out of spite in that country.

You'd have to have some serious nuts to do that.

Er, wait.

(just tryin' to lighten the mood, folks)

• Thumbs Up 6

I voted for Mitt.

Slightly O/T, but I also voted FOR the NC Marriage Amendment, and the Pros_won_!

Mormon Jesus is proud of you.

Seriously if thats your choice, fine you have that right. But I sure as hell don't agree that you voted for a conservative Mormon yuppie prick thats just going stand for backward bullshit polices as well as suck as much corporate dick as possible.dry.png

• Thumbs Up 2

Future generations will look upon you and people like you with the contempt that we look upon the racists of the 20th century. How does it feel to know that the only way in which you will ever contribute to social progress is that you will eventually die, and leave behind people who are better than you?

Holy shit.

Damn, dude just voted for the guy. Sure, his reasons were misguided and borderline inept, but damn.

All right, that's enough vitriol fellas, the atmosphere in here is becoming quite toxic.

At least he participated in the democratic process, which is more than can be said for many people.

@Indigo: I like the sound of that marriage proposal article you posted. Yes, I'm sure many vocal religious people would object to it, calling it a "wrecking of the institution of marriage" or something like that, however it rather nicely pulls church and state further apart at a time when they are dangerously close to coming together, and allows everyone the marriages they like whilst not discriminating against anybody in the legal department.

Everybody wins!

• Thumbs Up 3

To be fair turbo, goodone also said he voted for the NC Constitutional Amendment to ban gay marriage. There's no reason to vote for such legislation other than ignorance or bigotry, and the situation is in some ways comparable to how we view the disenfranchisement of blacks throughout the 20th century. Coincidentally, I believe the last time NC amended their constitution was to ban interracial marriage, something only overturned in 1971. Go figure!

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 5

Obama just endorsed gay marriage, says it should be the State's decision on what to do with it. So haha to all you NC voters.

In a move that couldn't possibly be fueled by Biden's earlier remarks or by Amendment One, Obama officially affirms his support for the legalization of same-sex marriage.

‎"For me personally, it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to get married."

Aaaand got outsped by Mono :3 Ah well.

Edited by Joshua

I voted for Mitt.

Slightly O/T, but I also voted FOR the NC Marriage Amendment, and the Pros_won_!

ITT: Why direct democracy is a terrible, terrible thing.

• Thumbs Up 9

While it's good to know the President supports gay marriage, I'm not sure what he believes saying this during the beginning of his campaign will ensure for him. It's going to energize progressives into voting for him and perhaps some independents sure, but it's also going to energize the religious right into giving him more hell. Or perhaps he's hoping that it won't be in the news cycle anymore when the actual voting's going down.

• Thumbs Up 2

While it's good to know the President supports gay marriage, I'm not sure what he believes saying this during the beginning of his campaign will ensure for him.

It's a statement of intent, making firm his commitment to the legalization of gay marriage where and when those bans on it come up for the consideration of the several state legislatures. At least, that's how I interpreted it. It also stands him firmly opposed to Romney's likely (if it hasn't occurred yet) condemnation of it.

Never ever read comments on political articles. So many awful bigoted racist people in my country. Anything about Obama brings out the racist comments, insults towards his wife and daughters. It just makes me sick. This recent news is worse. Some of the stuff I've read would get somebody banned in a forum like this if they said it here.

Never ever read comments on political articles. So many awful bigoted racist people in my country. Anything about Obama brings out the racist comments, insults towards his wife and daughters. It just makes me sick. This recent news is worse. Some of the stuff I've read would get somebody banned in a forum like this if they said it here.

I know, right? Sometimes I wonder how many of the comments are from trolls or people being sarcastically facetious in contrast to the actual sick people out there who are not afraid (more like dumb enough) to shoot their mouth off because they feel protected behind a screen.

Edited by Kintobor
  • Thumbs Up 1

Isn't that like rule one on anything in the internet?

In all honesty, guys, I don't agree with goodone at all, and he will be in shock at how liberal Romney really is, but I was just pointing out that saying he would do nothing productive, but produce a child that would be a better person than he is was a tad bit too far.

And comparing homosexual marriage to Civil Rights is a stretch, but nonetheless, I get the point.

Edited by turbojet

I don't think anyone agrees wholeheartedly with what was said about goodone, but I understand the general sentiment: his stances are becoming more and more antiquated in American society, and in some years' time we will look back on the people who held such beliefs in a similar manner as we did with people who displayed outwardly racist behavior towards blacks. T'is only a matter of time.

I also wasn't making a 1:1 comparison between Civil Rights and the plight of homosexuals, but so long as you understand my point.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, look at that, FOX instigated something that was never there to begin with. What are the odds?

Concerning NC, this wouldn't be the first time the state passed a divisive amendment.

nc1950s.jpg

This amendment was overturned a decade later.

If history repeats itself, the same can be said about Amendment One in about 10 years time, or in a generation or two at the most.

Obama just endorsed gay marriage, says it should be the State's decision on what to do with it. So haha to all you NC voters.

Thank God.

I'm not glad just because I support gay marriage, though. The government has absolutely no right in telling people who they can/can't marry. And seriously, what happened to the separation of church and state?

• Thumbs Up 4

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't marriage instituted by the church? Meaning that if Church and State are indeed separate, marriages would be completely at the Church's mercy?

EDIT: Why is facebook always in the same topics as me?

One moooore thing! Aren't there like, infinitely more important issues that need to be dealt with right now? Like how I'm about to end up paying five dollars a gallon at the pump?

Edited by Aquaslash

Marriage is something that predates organized religion in the first place. Regardless, marriage is primarily a legal contract between two parties which is naturally where the government comes in. Even if we were to assume it were a wholly religious ceremony in the United States, the church has long since made it the business of the government's by advocating that it only defines marriage between heterosexual couples anyway.

Also, your edit is such a non-issue. The government is capable of addressing multiple problems at the same time. Besides, when exactly is it a good time for gay people and those who sympathize with gay people to stand up to bigotry? Why do your woes with gas supercede all of the prejudice that gay people have battled in this country for decades?

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 3

I like Nepenthe. He/she explains the complicated stuff so I don't have to.

One moooore thing! Aren't there like, infinitely more important issues that need to be dealt with right now? Like how I'm about to end up paying five dollars a gallon at the pump?

It is election time so both candidates, one more than the other, positing themselves in order to get as many votes as possible. So what may be important to some might not be important to others, but it is important to somebody. People often color with broad strokes and don't bother with the intricacies of presidents and their positions.

Also, social conservatives are idiots.

• Thumbs Up 2