Awoo.

The General American Politics Thread

turbojet

51 minutes ago, Dizcrybe said:

Is Maine a swing state? Because Clinton just took the lead there.

No. Generally Maine is blue. New Hampshire is New England's only swing state.

Trump's initial lead in Florida and Virginia is shrinking as we get closer to all votes counted. Presumably the Democrat-leaning cities (which tend to report later) are swinging things the other way.

It was quite the initial scare, but Trump might end up running out of steam within the hour.

I'm disappointed at the poor Senate performance though. Looks like we're gonna be stuck with 4 more years (Clinton's not winning the midterms) of useless government.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Noelgilvie said:

Trump's initial lead in Florida and Virginia is shrinking as we get closer to all votes counted. Presumably the Democrat-leaning cities (which tend to report later) are swinging things the other way.

It was quite the initial scare, but Trump might end up running out of steam within the hour.

I'm disappointed at the poor Senate performance though. Looks like we're gonna be stuck with 4 more years (Clinton's not winning the midterms) of useless government.

Watch Clinton get all the blame and someone worse than Trump gets elected in 2020, sending our nation into a downward spiral of destruction.

• Thumbs Up 1

The election is still young and most of the votes haven't been counted yet. Nonetheless I get why people are concerned.

I really hope Trump doesn't take this-- yet again, I am reminded of late 20th century, where the progress the civil rights movement had made frightened racist white people into voting bigot Andrew Johnson for president, who tried to shoot down many attempts at advancing rights for people of color. I don't want an encore of that. Even though Johnson wasn't completely successful in undoing the efforts of the Civil Rights Movement, he still caused a lot of damage and set the movement back, and he also strengthened the precedent for racism in US politics, one that has yet to go away.

How appropriate there's a possibility we'll get screwed over by another Johnson with how close so many states are. I really do hate third party candidates.

Anyway. For me it's just the fact he has zero political experience. This shouldn't even be a contest.

If nothing else, the bulk of GOP voters are no longer allowed to cite "lack of experience" as a reason to be against a candidate. Peanut farming outsider Carter had more experience than Trump.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah you can say goodbye to any LGBT or women's rights advancement of trump wins, especially with the house being run by republicans once again. America is not gonna be a good place to be openly gay.

• Thumbs Up 5

3 minutes ago, Mad Convoy said:

The election is still young and most of the votes haven't been counted yet. Nonetheless I get why people are concerned.

I really hope Trump doesn't take this-- yet again, I am reminded of late 20th century, where the progress the civil rights movement had made frightened racist white people into voting bigot Andrew Johnson for president, who tried to shoot down many attempts at advancing rights for people of color. I don't want an encore of that. Even though Johnson wasn't completely successful in undoing the efforts of the Civil Rights Movement, he still caused a lot of damage and set the movement back, and he also strengthened the precedent for racism in US politics, one that has yet to go away.

But Andrew Johnson wasn't even alive during the late 20th century not to mention he was already dead in his grave by the time the civil rights movement happened.

Just now, Johnny Boy said:

But Andrew Johnson wasn't even alive during the late 20th century not to mention he was already dead in his grave by the time the civil rights movement ever happened.

Darn, wrong century. I must've gotten him mixed with some other politicians of the time.

But it still stands that he got in the way of racial progress in the US.

Just now, Noelgilvie said:

How appropriate there's a possibility we'll get screwed over by another Johnson with how close so many states are. I really do hate third party candidates.

Now do you see why I was so bitchy about third-party voting earlier in the thread? Entitled progressives and independents can never get their shit together for just one day. One day. I'm not asking for much from my so-called team.

• Thumbs Up 6

Just now, Treacher said:

Regardless, this is truly one hell of an election and Donald John Trump is not to be underestimated by any means.

Racist privileged traditionalist people aren't to be underestimated. If America wasn't so stuck in its white privlege and entitlement, trump wouldn't have much ground to work off of 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Treacher said:

Regardless, this is truly one hell of an election and Nigel Farrage's lies underestimated by any means.

Fixed it.

Seriously, compare some of the stuff Farrage said during brexit to what Trump started to say after he endorsed him, it's shockingly similar.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Nepenthe said:

Now do you see why I was so bitchy about third-party voting earlier in the thread? Entitled progressives and independents can never get their shit together for just one day. One day. I'm not asking for much from my so-called team.

In my defense I was just sore over the shenanigans the superdelegates pulled. I understand now that realistically Bernie was never going to be the nominee, but he's made an enormous positive impact, and I should absolutely support the Democratic coalition he's built.

Sadly a lot of people missed that second part.

I am starting to worry a little. I know whoever loses there will be violence. If Trump loses there will be violence and if he wins I don't know. I kinda wish he never ran because he validated so many bigoted beliefs. I really hope America doesn't become like Japan.  

This might come off as very bloodthirsty, but I would love to see some violence happen only to get the National Guard on them as they prove everyone right on their attitude. But if history has shown, it'll be another case of hypocrisy as they get away with shit they aren't suppose to.

In my defense I was just sore over the shenanigans the superdelegates pulled. I understand now that realistically Bernie was never going to be the nominee, but he's made an enormous positive impact, and I should absolutely support the Democratic coalition he's built.

In all fairness, emotions were flared with the sort of backalley shit that was happening with the DNC, so I can see why people were doing it in protest.

At the same time, if they don't want someone like Trump - and I cannot repeat this enough - they should have swallowed their pride and voted for the lesser evil here. I mean really, why risk it?

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, Noelgilvie said:

Bernie was not some new lesson. This happens all the time though. Maine has been dealing with a Trump Lite for around two gubernatorial terms now all because of spoiler votes by third parties and independents who see no value in compromise in a political system inherently built upon compromise. Y'all talk a a mean game about being down with minority and progressive causes, but when it comes time to finally pull the lever you drop the damn ball. Almost every fucking time. This was not a hard choice at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Fixed it.

Seriously, compare some of the stuff Farrage said during brexit to what Trump started to say after he endorsed him, it's shockingly similar.

Say, isn't the government there trying to keep it from being enacted, still? Also, some food for thought:

Democrats are in a for a rude awakening, Puerto Ricans, Cubans and Mexicans dislike each other. No doubt that there are plenty of incensed Latinos at Trump, but they are not a united group.

7 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

At the same time, if they don't want someone like Trump - and I cannot repeat this enough - they should have swallowed their pride and voted for the lesser evil here. I mean really, why risk it?

Feel good bullshit about principles.

I often use the analogy of seeing a crime happening and doing nothing to prevent it. Their counterargument is that it's a crime to prevent the greater crime in this case.

I take it they are all pacifists and would disagree with shooting in self-defense? Because that's the exact same principle. You commit one crime to prevent a greater crime, and so your crime is excused.

It's no different. Yes, by voting Clinton you enable a lot of the nonsense the DNC pulled, but at the same time, you protect America from something worse. Inaction makes you guilty in a different way than the active criminal.

I'm gonna Godwin this for the sake of comparison. The German people weren't the ones who sent millions to their deaths, but they're near-unanimously seen as having allowed it to happen by doing nothing. In fact, the modern day German people (at least the older generation) still feel immense guilt over it. They understand they could have done more to prevent it.

7 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

Y'all talk a a mean game about being down with minority and progressive causes, but when it comes time to finally pull the lever you drop the damn ball. Almost every fucking time. This was not a hard choice at all.

Sadly not everyone can be as reasonable as I in making a rational decision after a few days pass and the initial temper has cooled.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, KHCast said:

Wonder how bad the comey shit fucked up this election 

Considering that Trump is now leading 150-109, VERY BADLY. Good lord, the west coast states are our last hope at this point.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Treacher said:

Say, isn't the government there trying to keep it from being enacted, still? Also, some food for thought:

Ok...

• There was a General Election last year, the conservatives won it. 
  • The "Brexit" thing was a few months ago. Leave won.
  • In response David Cameron the Prime Minister, resigned.
  • Terresa May becomes Prime Minister.
  • May removes most of Camerons cabinet (think the US Presidents vice president & all the top people).
  • May puts forward a totally different manifesto (Which we didn't vote on).
  • Scottish Government very angry.
  • May wants/is/trying to sign article 50 ("Goodbye EU") without a vote in parliment.
  • Group of people take the UK Government to court.
  • UK Government looses.
  • UK Government appeals case to Supreme Court.
  • Scottish Government offers to back up those in opposition to the UK Government in the Supreme Court case.

And that in a nutshell is the UK politics.

• Thumbs Up 2

And Florida sure is taking its sweet ass time...

• Thumbs Up 1