Awoo.

The General American Politics Thread

turbojet

or the fact that the NRA beleives that Clinton will take away their guns, when the facts state that she will not be doing that

Trump just took Idaho, but Oregon is in Clinton's hands

I'm actually generally afraid for myself if Trump wins aside from the country too. Me being disabled and all, I'm not too keen on the guy who makes fun of a reporter with muscular problems and kicks a kid with cerebral palsy out of his rallies.

• Thumbs Up 2

When Carter ran as an outsider, he at least came off as a good person. In fact, his Presidency kind of seems like a good person who just wasn't cut out for politics.

Trump? Fuck no. There's nothing that says "good" about him. I don't care how fresh he is. We're trading in corruption for bigotry.

• Thumbs Up 2

NYT currently placing the odds of a Trump win at >95% in their livetracker.

9 minutes ago, Treacher said:

Or nostalgia. I know that all too well.

Nostalgia for what, exactly?

Michigan's slowly turning towards Clinton. There are still plenty of votes to count but... it may be like Virginia and completely flip.

It's hard to believe this election really will come down to only one or two states.

Ok, what the hell is going on, America. It ain't over til it's over, but fucking hell lads could you not give me a fucking heart attack when I turn the news on. Cheers.

• Thumbs Up 3

Washington state is currently red in the NYT tracker. Have the votes from Seattle been counted yet or is there something else going on there?

This is the first time I am truly ashamed of my country. The fact that Trump is now likely to be our next President is more terrifying AND embarassing than anything I can recall in my life.

I do want to say the people who did protest votes because Bernie wasn't on the ballot, screw you, you pretty much made it possible for Trump to win.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, KHCast said:

Good god Michigan needs to go blue.

I been gave up on that possibility

No use in being outraged anymore. What's done is done. It's time to understand what just went down and prepare yourselves accordingly.

Economy will probably tank due to a combination of repealing the ACA wholesale without any noted replacement, far-right austerity measures being implemented, and the global markets tanking due to lack of confidence in us. LGBT rights and women's health rights are probably on the chopping block both locally and all the way to the Obergefell and Roe. Expect things like more women's health clinics being closed and an uptick in religious discrimination against gay people in hiring and service. Russia is about to be that much more prominent on the world stage, and in general you'll probably see more hawkish policy in situations like Mosul. No nukes, though; that's dumb. Increase in deportation measures, increase in policing measures against blacks and Hispanics, and in general an emboldened alt-right/white nationalist wing means stay out of the wrong neighborhoods even more than you already do.

The best thing we can do in the short term is get out in midterms and flip the houses. Otherwise, prepare for another good 20-30 years of absolute fuckery due to outright Republican control of the entire government.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, if the worst comes, I don't want to hear any crying from any "Bernie or Bust" folks because they were warned of this ages ago and they didn't listen.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 minute ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Honestly, if the worst comes, I don't want to hear any crying from any "Bernie or Bust" folks because they were warned of this ages ago and they didn't listen.

Lol don't put this all on the Bernie Bros; Any and all protest and third-party voters just fucked minorities and poor people over for the next generation. Must be nice.

• Thumbs Up 5