Awoo.

The General American Politics Thread

turbojet

4 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

No use in being outraged anymore. What's done is done. It's time to understand what just went down and prepare yourselves accordingly.

Economy will probably tank due to a combination of repealing the ACA wholesale without any noted replacement, far-right austerity measures being implemented, and the global markets tanking due to lack of confidence in us. LGBT rights and women's health rights are probably on the chopping block both locally and all the way to the Obergefell and Roe. Expect things like more women's health clinics being closed and an uptick in religious discrimination against gay people in hiring and service. Russia is about to be that much more prominent on the world stage, and in general you'll probably see more hawkish policy in situations like Mosul. No nukes, though; that's dumb. Increase in deportation measures, increase in policing measures against blacks and Hispanics, and in general an emboldened alt-right/white nationalist wing means stay out of the wrong neighborhoods even more than you already do.

The best thing we can do in the short term is get out in midterms and flip the houses. Otherwise, prepare for another good 20-30 years of absolute fuckery due to outright Republican control of the entire government.

Don't forget blacks being investigated more by police enforcement. Jesus Christ, people really were willing to throw all this away because "wah I wanted Bernie", or "my white rights are being threatened"?

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Don't forget blacks being investigated more by police enforcement.

Well, that's what the "increase in policing measures against blacks and Hispanics" part was for.

Edit: Oh FUCK, I forgot about climate change....... Sorry people on the coasts, in drought-riddled areas, and in vulnerable/third-world countries. You're in this shit with us too.

• Thumbs Up 3

What we're going to see if we don't change our emissions habits immediately is stronger storms and flooding in areas like Louisiana (Boston will probably be fine), increased drought in places like California, and resulting food shortages that will mostly affect poorer countries. If you're in the middle of a first-world country you'll be fine sans being hot as fuck, but Clinton was our chance to continue climate change negotiations and deals and lol to that.

• Thumbs Up 1

I voted full Democrat.

Looks like Pennsylvania is drifting towards Trump. It's over.

If nothing else, marijuana had huge successes today. It's depressing that the GOP will be the ones running the government, but at least they have to contend with uncooperative states on draconian drug policy.

• Thumbs Up 1

I figure California and the gulf is especially screwed. Things are definitely going to get worse before they even get a little better.

The fact I won't be able to marry someone I'm falling in love with is just...I feel like honest to god shit, and am shaking....I potentially won't be able to legally fucking marry.

Time for miffed Johan.

My deepest condolences to my Muslim, Latino, LGBT, African American, and female compatriots. I am sorry half of the American electorate decided that their desire for gratification in being seen on top of the world was of greater importance than the well-being of citizens they have effectively announced as being inferior to them.

I am sorry a man who will be going on trial next month for the rape of a 13 year old girl was deemed a greater need for half the country than the safety and acceptance of people regularly discriminated against.

I am sorry the respected freedom of the press will be cut down by a man who wants to gut libel laws.

I am sorry that women's biological independence will be at risk once more by the oncoming influx of TRAP laws and attempts to gut Roe v. Wade completely by Supreme Court picks that were not handpicked by the elected leader of the U.S. as is his job, but by a conservative think tank.

I am sorry to the LGBT community, for the same Supreme Court reasoning, because Obergefell will be next.

I am sorry for the African American and Latino and Muslim communities now that they'll be deemed a constant threat and be subjected to frequent frisk laws, if not antagonized outright but vigilante groups bolstered by a victory of a man that the Ku Klux Klan endorsed.

I am sorry I am one of the lucky ones, one of the "correct" biological background of white, cis males, that I can never truly feel the discomfort and anxiety that so many others will be feeling now that half the nation voted for a man whose entire campaign premise was me vs. you.

I am sorry. And I hope I can make it up to you these next 4 years if you'll let me.

• Thumbs Up 8

You'll more than likely still be able to marry, and for awhile at least. And should it Obergefell be overturned I don't think it'd be retroactive against already-married couples? You should more worry about business discrimination in the meantime. Those religious nuts just got an adrenaline boost.

• Thumbs Up 2

https://board.sonicstadium.org/profile/2255-senedtor-missile/?status=836811&type=status

Ive already said everything I wanted to say in this status, except for one extra thing:

We need to keep on fighting. Trump might win here, but as long as he remains in office, as long as Republicans try to destroy everything progressive to serve their deluded fantasy, we need to keep fighting. We need to give the biggest fight of our lives; our future depends on it.

I just hope I don't show myself to be a coward when I finally face something...

• Thumbs Up 4

Welp.

I will admit, I USED to support Trump in this very thread and was on his side when I argued. However, hearing all the other stuff he has done, I couldn't ignore it. I feel it is not right for me to stand by someone who makes jokes about grabbing private parts and mocking disabled people, especially as a disabled person myself. It just wasn't right. I'm right leaning, but I just can't and that's why I didn't support him anymore. To undo all the progress being made it just wrong. I am starting to rethink my stance as well. Maybe I am not as right leaning as I thought I was.

anyway, I am so sorry :(

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't usually post in here but...

2 minutes ago, KHCast said:

The fact I won't be able to marry someone I'm falling in love with is just...I feel like honest to god shit, and am shaking....I potentially won't be able to legally fucking marry.

Like I said in your status I'm deeply sorry you're going to go through this shit for 4 years. However I will support your choice as a friend because you don't need to be mocked and ridiculed because you just literally won the right to marry the person you love. Its fucking 2016 after all.

But I doubt gay marriage will go away. Its just a scarier world to be in your shoes right now and you have my sympathy as your friend.

• Thumbs Up 3

You guys didn't shit on #Gamergate too hard, right? Because if so:

https://twitter.com/JohnnyFoxRox/status/796187127872684032

You fucked up. YOU FUCKED UP

There multiple. multiple warnings. 2 years' worth. Look at the hashtag on twitter, they're celebrating hard and it's only going to re-energize like crazy. They're going to write history as being the vindicated champions and victors. You will never hear the end of #Gamergate now. And not just them, but the SJWs and Cultural Marxists being ironically racist and alienating everyone including the women and minorities they claimed to defend. You realize this has empowered not only them and people 1,000X worse? The worst part, and I do mean the very WORST part of it is? Those idiots actually pushed #Gamergate, regular people, and others into being even more radicalized!

Goddamn it, you all disappoint me greatly as a half Dominican and half Ecuadorian.

People are worried about gay marriage because Republicans literally control everything, including justice nominations with the court, meaning- yes- gay marriage for all is seriously on the line here because they could easily review and thus overturn it, and we'd have to probably wait until the next justice died and hope we get a liberal replacement to get it back.

Also, fuck Gamergate.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm on facebook and I can't help but feel like a lot of my friends on there are a part of the problem.

14947787_566784483527591_1990554800464223718_n.jpg?oh=3ad2dcb06f18e7d57e79bb65422f1134&oe=58C8F6B5

This is either coming from friends who identify as "Libertarian" "Independent" or "centrist" 

I would not worry about the republicans dumping gay marriage, in fact a lot of republicans are starting to sway more in the middle.

1 minute ago, MadmanRB said:

I would not worry about the republicans dumping gay marriage, in fact a lot of republicans are starting to sway more in the middle.

Did you see how many people accepted the bile Trump spewed out?

• Thumbs Up 2