Awoo.

The General American Politics Thread

turbojet

11 minutes ago, Noelgilvie said:

I have no doubt Sanders and Warren are going to be the left-wing anchor of the Party for a while, especially now that Bernie's shown progressive ideas aren't fringe.

I just hope there are some fresh proteges ready to carry on the fight, because they're not getting any younger.

I'd at least want them both to be a persuasive presence in the party. I'd love to have either of them assume the mantle in four years time, but Warren is more likely to do it. I'm eager to see who rises to prominence within the Democratic ranks in the meantime. I'd vote for a Julian Castro or a Kirsten Gillibrand if presented with the opportunity. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Ming Ming Hatsune said:

What are they trying to accomplish. The protests are a waste of time. Trump and co. don't care, he's still gonna be president regardless.

But I mean if Clinton won anyway, we would ALSO have seen the protests as well.

Has these guys seen Clinton's speech? This is not what she wanted. They are going against her wishes. Shame.

Last thing I want to mention is that they are protesting in the stupid areas. They are protesting in areas that are voted BLUE. While annoying the community around them. This is pathetic.

Just a question for curiosity's sake, was it ok that Obama got 8 years of protests (including an armed take over of national property)? People are scared right now, and the only way to truly show that is to let it be known. Honestly, they have all reason to be scared.  Considering the way Trump's campaign was ran we have no idea how the hell any of this is going to go, but likely not well for anyone that isn't a white dude. It's within anyone's right to protest as long as it's peaceful, and I've heard nothing about this being anything but.

A friend of mine earlier from a neighboring neighborhood is scared because her father hasn't been made a citizen despite being here and cooperating with the system since before her birth (and she's in her freakin' 20s), I would have loved to reassure her that everything is going to be ok. The thing is? I don't know if it's going to be ok, and it very well might not be.

• Thumbs Up 3

What are they trying to accomplish. The protests are a waste of time. Trump and co. don't care, he's still gonna be president regardless.

But I mean if Clinton won anyway, we would ALSO have seen the protests as well.

Has these guys seen Clinton's speech? This is not what she wanted. They are going against her wishes. Shame.

Last thing I want to mention is that they are protesting in the stupid areas. They are protesting in areas that are voted BLUE. While annoying the community around them. This is pathetic.

Just a question for curiosity's sake, was it ok that Obama got 8 years of protests (including an armed take over of national property)? People are scared right now, and the only way to truly show that is to let it be known. Honestly, they have all reason to be, considering the way Trump's campaign was ran we have no idea how the hell any of this is going to go, but likely not well for anyone that isn't a white dude. It's within anyone's right to protest as long as it's peaceful, and I've heard nothing about this being anything but.

I'm not saying they shouldn't protest, if the protest has a chance of changing something.

The protests they are doing are worthless. You think Trump will suddenly go and step down because of these protests?

You think annoying the community who also voted for the same thing as you is going to make things better?

I understand of these people making their voices heard. But if I was a Trump supporter or Trump himself, would I care? I got what I wanted. We won.

If Clinton won, and you see these protests from Trump supporters, you'll be saying the same thing and probably laughing at them too.

That's a big assumption to make considering I said anyone is within their right to protest as long as they're not being violent. Who am I to judge people's reasons for doing things? Shit, one of major reasons Trump one was because of how marginalized the Rust Belt felt and Hillary did nothing to reassure them. You know what Trump COULD do? Reassure these people that their voices will be heard.

• Thumbs Up 5

That's a big assumption to make considering I said anyone is within their right to protest as long as they're not being violent. Who am I to judge people's reasons for doing things? Shit, one of major reasons Trump one was because of how marginalized the Rust Belt felt and Hillary did nothing to reassure them. You know what Trump COULD do? Reassure these people that their voices will be heard.

It's not an assumption. Trump and his supporters will never back down for these lot.

When Trump announces something that you disagree with, on that day, protest. Then it actually makes sense, because you want Trump to revert the decision. And MAYBE just maybe, Trump will reconsider.

But yesterday's protests have no end goal. A waste of time. Yes it's within their right and I am not saying it's not. It's just looks like these guys have nothing better to do. Because it is 100% pointless. The point of these protests is that they don't like Trump and want him out. That's never going to happen. So why bother.

And on top of that, if a Democratic Chicago woman was trying to go home but was blocked by these protesters she would be absolutely furious. Unless...that was what the protesters want?

I meant it's a big assumption that you would assume I'd laugh at Trump supporters protesting if Hillary won instead. There's nothing about protests I find funny, misguided but that's not the same thing.

• Thumbs Up 3

Dodd Frank will be quickly dispensed with, according to early leaks/reports.

Every leaked policy and senior position is objectively terrifying. Trump often used the line "Drain the Swamp" at his rallies, but Jesus Effing Christ, he's not doing that, he's pouring toxic waste into it. There's going to be one hell of a mess for the Democrats to clean up in 2020 - hopefully Trump will be so terrible that both Houses and the presidency will swing blue and the laundry list of changes to undo from the previous administration can be swiftly run through without too much interference .

36 minutes ago, Patticus said:

Dodd Frank will be quickly dispensed with, according to early leaks/reports.

Every leaked policy and senior position is objectively terrifying. Donald "My I.Q. is one of the highest" Trump often used the line "Drain the Swamp" at his rallies, but Jesus Effing Christ, he's not doing that, he's pouring toxic waste into it. There's going to be one hell of a mess for the Democrats to clean up in 2020 - hopefully Donald "My I.Q. is one of the highest" Trump will be so terrible that both Houses and the presidency will swing blue and the laundry list of changes to undo from the previous administration can be swiftly run through without too much interference .

holy shit this gui is trash fuck it I

lll just do it this way 

@Patticus If democrats run their 2020 campaign the same way they ran this one they won't win that one either.

13 minutes ago, Solkia said:

@Patticus If democrats run their 2020 campaign the same way they ran this one they won't win that one either.

The lessons of this campaign need to be learned quickly, but in 2020 Trump will be the establishment candidate, there will be four years' worth of rope to hang him with, and a new raft of candidates - most without a scandal sheet - to take him on. There will also be an enormous amount of (hopefully vote-motivating) anger among every group he might target between now and then, and if the consequences of his actions don't meet with the approval of his white 2016 base, he's gonna be found in a very tough position.

Also, to anyone wanting to move to Canada: If you do it, yours is a vote that the Democratic candidate in 2020 won't have. Don't contribute to another loss!

9FhEnHl.jpg

Silver linings.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, Noelgilvie said:

States Clinton won: CO, NM, NV, OR, MN, NH, CT, VA

States Trump narrowly won (by 12-68,000 votes): WI, MI, PA

If all these states passed the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact (NPVIC) prior to last night, we would be looking at President-elect Clinton right now. The NPVIC is an agreement between states to give their electoral votes to the national popular vote winner (which was Clinton). Two of the last five elections have had a winner who had the most electoral votes but not the most popular votes.

Right now, the NPVIC has been passed in enough states to cover about 30% of the electoral vote. Once the states that have signed it control 50% of the Electoral Vote, the new rules go into effect.

For more information on the NPVIC agreement and how the current system unfairly favors certain states: http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/written-explanation

To send a pre-written message to your legislator in support of the NPVIC:

http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/tell-your-legislators-support-national-popular-vote

Really, if you were a Hillary Clinton or Gore supporter, this is for you. The message legislator option is easy; just enter your ZIP, send the pre-written message (you can alter it if you want; I altered mine to specify the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact so my legislator would know what I was referring to), and it goes to your state legislators. Read: the people running your state's government, not Congress. This is a way to get around the Electoral College without a federal amendment.

Before you think your opinion doesn't matter, remember that a lot of people probably thought that last night.

Capture.PNG

Knowing the average Kansas voter is Republican I'm not sure this subject line makes sense.

Legit thought I was gonna get my ass whooped at the polling place if people found out I was voting Hillary.

• Thumbs Up 1

You guys think there's a small change that some of the individual electoral voters in December will leave trump for Hilary? I've heard that there's one dude apparently that said he will for sure. I mean its unprecedented and rare, but you never know. With this election anything can and has happened 

Clinton supporters are angry at the Trump supporters. I have to shake my head at them. They shouldn't be angry at the Trump supporters (well, maybe but that shouldn't be their primary focus). They should be angry at the DNC and the Clinton Foundation. And I'm pissed off at them more than anything.

Trump is a laughing stock. But at least he had a clear message about what he's going to do with America. What was Clinton's? In most of her ads, "Trump said this and that" "Trump said horrible things to woman. Vote for me!". They had a huge lead and they blew it with their cocky attitudes.

DNC didn't think Bernie is good enough and instead went for the very unlikable Hillary Clinton. Pissed off Sanders and his supporters (and I'm sure a bunch of them voted 3rd party). DNC took the black, white and hispanic audiences for granted because they underestimated Trump and his supporters.

Clinton should also take the blame for not campaigning in states such as Pennsylvania because she thought that she had them in the bag. Wrong. Don't assume and ignore these states. 

They have got everything wrong in this campaign. I seriously hope they have learned a lesson here.

8 hours ago, Conando said:

I meant it's a big assumption that you would assume I'd laugh at Trump supporters protesting if Hillary won instead. There's nothing about protests I find funny, misguided but that's not the same thing.

Well, I can believe that you won't laugh at the Trump supporters. But believe me, there will be a lot of Clinton supporters that will. I've seen a lot of hate from each side. You can't convince me that the Clinton supporters would not think it's pathetic to see Trump supporters walk in the streets asking the nation to revert the decision.

Edited by Ming Ming Hatsune
  • Thumbs Up 2

Oh, I agree on the DNC, but not the Clinton Foundation. They are legit and they have helped so many countries and people. There is no Pay to Play on it. She doesn't run it and she never has and she doesn't get paid for it either.

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, PSI Wind said:

Oh, I agree on the DNC, but not the Clinton Foundation. They are legit and they have helped so many countries and people. There is no Pay to Play on it. She doesn't run it and she never has and she doesn't get paid for it either.

Arghhh forgot to remove the Clinton Foundation before posting! Sorry for that...

5 hours ago, KHCast said:

You guys think there's a small change that some of the individual electoral voters in December will leave trump for Hilary? I've heard that there's one dude apparently that said he will for sure. I mean its unprecedented and rare, but you never know. With this election anything can and has happened 

Its one of those once-in-a-lifetime miracles, but this election has had a lot of unexpected twists and turns so anything is game for being significant. I'd say give it a shot-- it won't hurt us to try, and even if it doesn't succeed, it makes a statement that lots of Americans are not standing for Trump and will fight him (and might spread around the fact that, yes, Clinton won the popular vote).

Petition is here, for those interested: https://www.change.org/p/electoral-college-electors-electoral-college-make-hillary-clinton-president-on-december-19

(The petition has had only had 16 hours of existence and already 719,090, increasing as I type, have signed. Good sign that people support it, if nothing else.)

Could you imagine the incredible backlash we'd get if these electoral college voters inexplicably decided to swap over to Clinton on the 11th and half hour?

Even if it's not technically illegal, affecting the outcome of an election like that? All the "election is rigged!" vocalizers would have their pound of flesh right there.

And that's also not factoring the Hillary EC voters who decide to swap over to Trump either out of personal choice or out of retribution.

• Thumbs Up 1

That would set a dangerous-ass precedent for future elections, and white people right now are already fired up. That would be silly as fuck.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's really too late to stop this now. People need to focus on getting Trump to listen to them. The other focus is on revamping the electoral college for next time.

• Thumbs Up 2