Awoo.

The General American Politics Thread

turbojet

You are new here so I'll just tell you.

Technically, I've been lurking here since 2009 :3

He ain't trolling.

He may be sincere, but them tactics is troll tactics )8 The rhetoric's just too perfectly annoying to be unintentional.

...I really couldn't believe that someone thought this was really the appropriate way to make this argument. It would hurt me too deeply ;;

Edited by Shan Zhu

It's kind of sad that some people's viewpoints are so off the charts that we instantly think they're a troll when they state them out loud. It is incredibly hard to differ a serious person from a troll now a days.

It's kind of sad that some people's viewpoints are so off the charts that we instantly think they're a troll when they state them out loud. It is incredibly hard to differ a serious person from a troll now a days.

It's not the views that are off the charts, but the way they're presented. Trolling is a matter of style.

Edited by Shan Zhu

He ain't trolling.

He still needs to go back under the bridge.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

State of the race: Advantage, Obama

The Romney campaign, while pleasantly surprised by Obama’s lackluster prime-time performance, said the post-convention bounce they hoped for fell well short of expectations and privately lament that state-by-state polling numbers — most glaringly in Ohio — are working in the president’s favor.

Obama officials have maintained for several weeks that there are too few undecided voters for Romney to get the bounce he needs from the debates. “Romney is not going to win undecided voters four-to-one,” a senior administration official told reporters on Air Force One on Friday. “If you are losing in Ohio by four or five points and trailing in Colorado by two points, if you are trailing in Nevada by two or three points, you are not going to win in those states.

In the end, what gives both camps the sense that Obama is better positioned, is the map of 10 states they are fighting on. Two months ago, a top Romney official said they had to have at least one or two of these states in the bag, preferably Florida, to be on course to win. They don’t.

“Our problems are Virginia, Ohio, Nevada, New Hampshire,” a top official said. “Our opportunities are Michigan, Wisconsin, Colorado. We can’t trade our problems for our opportunities and win the presidency. If we trade our problems for our opportunities, we lose.”

Stevens said Romney remains unfazed by the hand-wringing among Republicans and staff.

“We’re a very patient campaign,” Stevens said. “We’re the campaign that couldn’t break 25 percent [in the primaries].We just have tremendous confidence in the governor’s ability to talk to people in a way that resonates. Very steady, very confident.”

But, for those not speaking for the record, also very worried.

I'm moving from petrified to worried.

Ryan didn't vote for the defense cuts he voted for... apparently.

What's the problem with defense cuts anyway? America's defense budget is so overwhelmingly bloated that the cuts most likely won't have any negative impact on America's ability to fuck with every country on Earth anyway.

Ryan didn't vote for the defense cuts he voted for... apparently.

What's the problem with defense cuts anyway? America's defense budget is so overwhelmingly bloated that the cuts most likely won't have any negative impact on America's ability to fuck with every country on Earth anyway.

Wait. What happens if he didn't vote for the defense cuts he voted for? And that sounded redundant to be honest.

Wait. What happens if he didn't vote for the defense cuts he voted for? And that sounded redundant to be honest.

Well, he voted for them, and called it a 'victory' at the time. Now he's trying to convince everybody that he didn't. He's either a complete liar (see: Lyin' Ryan's RNC speech) or he votes for things without knowing what's in them.

Either way he looks like a 'tard.

Ouch.

Yes, I am quite aware of that, but its not like your super popular nation in fact far from it, in fact you guys have replaced us as the one of most loathed nations on this planet, your the new Empire.wink.png

Lol I'm from the mainland UK dude, hell given your profile says your from Scotland I'd thought you'd have more sympathy with my statementtongue.png

Oh anyone know where I can get a concise written round up of the democrat concentration?

Edited by blackherox

Lol I'm from the mainland UK dude, hell given your profile says your from Scotland I'd thought you'd have more sympathy with my statementtongue.png

Oh anyone know where I can get a concise written round up of the democrat concentration?

Sorry I assumed you were from the US, also the way you post is very American.

I am not actually from Scotland I change my Location to reflect my avatar and signature.wink.png

I do know about sympathy, not all Scottish people hate the English even with the independence referendum looming.

I'm a Ron Paul supporter. I haven't yet been convinced that Barack Obama and Mitt Romney aren't actually the same person.

• Thumbs Up 1

This will be the first election I vote in. Previously I've exercised my right to not vote, since I hate the idea of choosing the lesser of two evils. But I've come to realize that sort of thinking is a bit backwards, and isn't going to help the country at all. I may not TRUST the democratic party to follow through, but at least the ideas they like to think they hold are ones I agree with. The Republican party, meanwhile... well, I'll try not to be crude and say they aren't nice.

When the balance of evil is this one-sided, I think it's a fair indicator of my need to vote.

Edited by Legendary Emerald
  • Thumbs Up 1

I just heard something Crow from MST3K said in a review, and I think it works perfect for Mitt Romney.

Mitt, you know, the gospel speaks of losers like you.

This will be the first election I vote in. Previously I've exercised my right to not vote, since I hate the idea of choosing the lesser of two evils. But I've come to realize that sort of thinking is a bit backwards, and isn't going to help the country at all. I may not TRUST the democratic party to follow through, but at least the ideas they like to think they hold are ones I agree with. The Republican party, meanwhile... well, I'll try not to be crude and say they aren't nice.

When the balance of evil is this one-sided, I think it's a fair indicator of my need to vote.

This is why the two party system is an abomination- it basically boils down to a game of Rock, Paper. You don't need to be good, you just need to be a hair better than the single viable alternative. Just keep throwing Paper and hope the other guy slips up and throws Rock, because that's really the only strategy. The system inherently promotes cheap tactics because it's easier to be dishonest than honest because making the other guy look bad is simply a better and easier strategy than making yourself look good. The democrats and republicans aren't parties anymore- they're ideological circlejerks. We need at least one more candidate, someone who will force us to think about who's the best choice rather than simply settling on whoever stands slightly closer to your interests.

• Thumbs Up 7

This is why the two party system is an abomination- it basically boils down to a game of Rock, Paper. You don't need to be good, you just need to be a hair better than the single viable alternative. Just keep throwing Paper and hope the other guy slips up and throws Rock, because that's really the only strategy. The system inherently promotes cheap tactics because it's easier to be dishonest than honest because making the other guy look bad is simply a better and easier strategy than making yourself look good. The democrats and republicans aren't parties anymore- they're ideological circlejerks. We need at least one more candidate, someone who will force us to think about who's the best choice rather than simply settling on whoever stands slightly closer to your interests.

I couldn't have said it any better. Bravo!

The problem is winner take all which discourages third parties all together.

Exactly; the brand of democracy we use right now becomes faulty with a population as big as America's. It'd take a fight, as any good change does these days, but we really need Instant-runoff voting or something of the like.

Romney won't get Nevada or Michigan. Calling that now. So you can rest easy a bit more, I s'pose.

Yeesh, it's up to the eastern side at this point. I may not like Obama too much, but I'd rather move to Canada before I see Romney in the seat.

America's defense budget could be cut in half and it would still have the largest defense budget in the world! The current defense budget amount is well over a trillion dollars and continues to grow. Cutting our defense budget isn't going to hurt us and even Eisenhower warned in his farewell address about the millitary-industrial complex.

Edited by Kevin
  • Thumbs Up 1