Awoo.

The General American Politics Thread

turbojet

America's defense budget could be cut in half and it would still have the largest defense budget in the world! The current defense budget amount is well over a trillion dollars and continues to grow. Cutting our defense budget isn't going to hurt us and even Eisenhower warned in his farewell address about the millitary-industrial complex.

It seems somewhat ironic that Americans these days are so in love with their massive state military. In the early days of the American republic, such a thing would have been viewed with a mixture of suspicion and revulsion; an unwelcome parallel to the imperial militarism in Europe and a threat to the people's liberty.

• Thumbs Up 1

The United States is the most powerful nation in the world, has numerous enemies ranging from terrorist cells to entire countries, and has been subject to high-scale terrorist attacks on its soil.

Is it any surprise that defense spending is so ludicrously high?

To be fair, about 1/3 of that is spending related to previous military action (veteran payments, disability payments, veteran affairs, paying off wartime loans, etc.), none of which has anything to do with current action and which nothing can really be done about for the future until it is paid off; and if I had to guess, a sizeable portion of that 707.5 billion is funneled directly into Afghanistan. So if we left there, the actual functional DoD budget in terms of military power/projection would probably be... I'd ball park 3/5ths that. Still a lot, to be sure, but not ludicrously so.

The United States is the most powerful nation in the world, has numerous enemies ranging from terrorist cells to entire countries, and has been subject to high-scale terrorist attacks on its soil.

Is it any surprise that defense spending is so ludicrously high?

A lot of that applies to most first world Western countries, actually. And they get by well enough. Not to say that the U.S. should drop its defense spending down to the levels of your typical European country, because different circumstances require different mentalities; but 9/11 is not a licence to flush money down the toilet towards defense no matter how much politicians have since tried to justify it as such.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 3

I haven't done any research on the people running for presidency.

But my guess is that Obama will probably win a second ... I forget the word.

It seems somewhat ironic that Americans these days are so in love with their massive state military. In the early days of the American republic, such a thing would have been viewed with a mixture of suspicion and revulsion; an unwelcome parallel to the imperial militarism in Europe and a threat to the people's liberty.

I'd say it's mainly because of 9/11 shaking that sense of invincibility that many Americans were so high up on that made us value the military more. Couple that with America still being the only superpower in the world as of now until China and possibly Russia gains the ability to compete toe to toe with it, and you have a lot of arrogance in the form of nationalism; a lof of Americans like the fact that only they're country is the most powerful, and they can be elitist to the point that they don't want any other country to be on equal footing with them, hence the love of the military allow them to keep it that way.

...or maybe I'm just being cynical as hell here. Yeah, I read what Tornado said, but I still can't shake off the feeling that that's the reason why a lot of us American's value our military so damn much. :lol:

But my guess is that Obama will probably win a second ... I forget the word.

"Term"?

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

What's more ironic is that America has adopted an imperialist stance for more than 100 years, it may have tried its best to keep out of European affairs (Old Country) but it loved exploiting those South America countries first! wink.png

What's more ironic is that America has adopted an imperialist stance for more than 100 years, it may have tried its best to keep out of European affairs (Old Country) but it loved exploiting those South America countries first! wink.png

I'd like to think we're starting to realize the toll that trying to be the world's police force has taken on our relationship with the rest of the world. I'd say we've made more enemies than friends from it.

Ladies and gentlemen, presenting the US' political agenda for the next few days.

A US state department official was killed and at least one other American was wounded when militiamen stormed the US consulate in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi.

It is believed the protest was held over a US-produced film that is said to be insulting to the Prophet Muhammad.

Expect to see this tragedy being used as a political weapon by both sides for the next couple of weeks, especially since Libyans are apparently blaming the US for not fleeing the embassy as a result of some idiot putting up a video using every trick in the "How To Offend Muslims" book on YouTube (which is almost certainly not the reason for this attack).

My sympathies go out to the families of all those who were killed.

Note: One of those killed was an EVE Online and Something Awful regular.

One of Romney's advisors has issued a statement.

"Maybe if [Obama] had continued to support democracy and civil society in these countries the way that Bush did, the way they should, maybe the more moderate forces would have better prepared to compete for political power,"

So, if Obama had got America's armed forces bogged down in yet another multi-trillion dollar Middle Eastern quagmire, and fostered breeding grounds for terrorism in the same way Bush did, moderates would be prepared to compete for political power?

Fuck off, warmonger.

• Thumbs Up 3

Ugh...I swear, it's logic like that that almost makes me think population control would be a good thing at times...

and that's just sad that I feel that way sometimes when I hear that stuff.

I'm a Ron Paul supporter. I haven't yet been convinced that Barack Obama and Mitt Romney aren't actually the same person.

I've seen videos of Ron Paul and I just face palmed after his answers. I'd probably support Ron Paul before Mitt Romney though.

Does anyone else think that Romney might just have severely hurt his own campaign?

The thing that Romney attacked Obama on pre-dated the attack, and so once again he's riding on a platform that's built on a lie.

It was an absolutely dick move to make. Not only was his statement inaccurate, it was completely disrespectful to politicize the event to begin with.

On a more positive note, there was a demonstration in Benghazi condemning the attack and showing sympathy towards those affected.

• Thumbs Up 2

I find it odd how no one has learned a damn thing since 9/11. These "terrorists" aren't just being born. Al-Quada does not hate the West for our lifestyle. The hate us because our continued involvement in Middle Eastern affairs. First, it was Saudi Arabia which caused the 9/11 attacks since the Saudi government refused to do anything about the involvement of the US on their soil(it is what it would be like if Soviet Russia just parked themselves next to Disneyland and our government did nothing about it), then it is our continued bias support of Israel. When Ryan and Mitt talk about taking a stronger stance against Al-Quada, reinforcing our position internationally, and bolstering our alliance with Israel, it makes them sound completely clueless on just who we are fighting. Al-Quada is now a political organization in some countries because of those policies that was long before Obama or Bush came into office. Have they ever considered that maybe they keep coming back because we keep proving their point to the civilian populace? Have they ever thought that more people are joining radical Islamic fundamentalist groups such as Al-Quada in spite of our continued influence? No, going by how they completely ignored the day after the attack where thousands of Libyans had a counter rally apologizing for the actions of a few people.

At this point, I am sick of Israel. It is a pariah state similar to how South Africa was during the apartheid. Hell, they even have an apartheid of their own with the whole wall situation. Being allies with them has dragged the entire western hemisphere in a millenniums long conflict because they staunchly refuse to relent on anything including basic human rights for the sake of their Holy Land security when they have to outsource to other nation states for support and protection. That is not how you run a nation state and that is not how international relations should be done. If it were any other state that were in the situation that Israel, we would reconsider our alignment with them. Instead of attacking each other about foreign policy about the United States perceived waning influence, maybe we should re-evaluate things.

I would just let them finish their conflict on their own. Let them kill each other until they are sick of killing each other and then maybe they can reflect on the millions of lost lives on something they cannot even remember anymore and how utterly stupid they are being.

• Thumbs Up 6

I am shocked (SHOCKED!) by this news that Romney may indeed be a sociopath incapable of actually experiencing human emotions.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 2

Well, that explains why his RNC speech looked so put-on, so fake; he had to bat his eyelashes between sentences and almost pout like a teen girl just to appear to have any kind of feelings at all for people outside his class and ethnicity.

And what the hell is up with Ryan? Every time I hear the man speak, he's talking about "not ducking the hard issues," "making the tough decisions," with nary a policy in sight! Also his voice is annoying and salesman-like.

• Thumbs Up 1

And what the hell is up with Ryan? Every time I hear the man speak, he's talking about "not ducking the hard issues," "making the tough decisions," with nary a policy in sight! Also his voice is annoying and salesman-like.

usedcarNixonposter.jpg?a=56

Though Nixon was at least damn good at it. Ryan is just kind of... dumb.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 2

Romney and Ryan are both like cardboard cut-out men; they look and sound smart and empathetic enough if you're not paying attention to them, but the moment you begin to question what they say, and you start poking at those cut-outs, the illusion of intelligence and humanity falls apart and the cut-outs topple over, still grinning inanely, quietly hoping that the ignorant masses haven't noticed how hollow, deceitful and willfully wrong they and their campaign are.

usedcarNixonposter.jpg?a=56

Though Nixon was at least damn good at it. Ryan is just kind of... dumb.

Nixon was terrible as a President, but he was good at foreign relations. Should of been a diplomat. wink.png

EDIT: Tricky Dicky!

Edited by BW199148