Awoo.

The General American Politics Thread

turbojet

Even if she's a nasty bitch, she can't possibly be worse than Ann Coulter... and isn't anyone the least bit curious about what, if anything, she's dug up on R Money?

Any controversy she can stir up about him now will surely be a blessing for the Obama campaign.

I know that I'm late, but I always thought of Ann Coulter as the Boondocks interpretation. You know..."Cause a bitch gotta sell books."

• Thumbs Up 1

According to FiveThirtyEight's forecasts, Obama is presently doing better than at any time in the last 15 days. Since the last debate on Monday, his numbers have been incrementally better on each new day (currently his electoral college forecast for Nov. 6th is at 194.1, a level not seen since Romney's fist debate performance crushed his September lead), and Romney's numbers have simultaneously been in decline. If things keep up like this (and they might not, but here's hoping), the president's position should be safe come election day.

Vaguely heated language from the president in a new Rolling Stone interview:

President Barack Obama used a profanity to describe GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney in a forthcoming Rolling Stone interview, according to an excerpt released Thursday by Politico's Mike Allen.

Douglas Brinkley, who wrote the Rolling Stone article, recalled an exchange with Obama and Rolling Stone executive editor Eric Bates, who said that his daughter told him to tell the president, "You can do it."

Obama reportedly grinned. "You know, kids have good instincts," he said. "They look at the other guy and say, 'Well, that's a bullshitter, I can tell.'"

White House Communications Director Dan Pfeiffer was asked about the comment Thursday in Richmond, Va., and said the issue was about Romney's "trust." He said people should "not be distracted by the word" but to "focus on the issue."

Following Mitt Romney's moderate shift in the first presidential debate in Denver, Obama and his allies have suggested that the former Massachusetts governor can't be trusted. "So we know Governor Romney's jobs plan doesn't create jobs. His deficit plan doesn't reduce the deficit. And we joke about 'Romnesia,' but all of this speaks to something that's really important, and that is the issue of trust. There's no more serious issue on a presidential campaign than trust. Trust matters," Obama said Wednesday in Davenport, Iowa.

It's not the first time that the president has used unvarnished language. He has called Kanye West a "jackass" but added the rapper is "talented." Neither is he the first candidate to curse: then-candidate George W. Bush called New York Times reporter Adam Clymer a "major league asshole" over a hot mic, to which vice-presidential nominee Dick Cheney agreed.

http://www.huffingto..._n_2018079.html

While he speaks the truth, no doubt Hannity et al will pounce all over this in their typically mentally deranged ways.

And in other news, Colin Powell has endorsed Obama's presidential bid, as he did back in 2008:

Naturally, all the far-right lunatics are up in arms over this, calling Powell an "Affirmative Action General" voting for an "Affirmative Action President," conveniently forgetting how much they loved him during Bush Jr.'s two terms, and the Romney campaign chair on Piers Morgan's show has claimed that Powell is endorsing Obama purely on the basis of his race. It's all bullshit of course, but that's just par for the course where those people are concerned.

You know, Obama generally has it together when it comes to presenting his image. He isn't nearly as good as Clinton or Reagan were, but he rarely fumbles with what he's doing when it comes to getting what he wants to get across... er... across. So I find it odd to see this come up in the status updates:

Where he dropped the ball, picked it back up and ran into the wrong endzone. What the fuck was anyone there thinking when they equated voting to losing your virginity? Nevermind one where women's rights is such a hot button topic. Just... common sense should tell you not to approach something like that even if standing behind a blast shield. It's not something the GOP can probably capitalize on, but fucking Christ.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 3

Edit: Ninja'd! Goshdarnittoheck, Tornado! >:U

Team Obama... just stop. Just for a minute. What are you thinking? The GOP is fumbling about with its foot caught perpetually in its mouth concerning abortion, and you think it's a good time to release this? psyduck.gif

Ignoring the fact that virginity is a terrible metaphor for voting, do they not realise how easily this could be interpreted as tasteless? Heck, offensive even (especially in a country like this)? The gender gap is allegedly thinning out between Obama and Romney. So when a Republican declares pregnancies that result from rape are a "gift from god", and Romney holds steady in backing him, Team Obama chooses to release this video? Now, of all times? What idiot approved this dribble? What the crap were they thinking?

Edited by BlazingTales
  • Thumbs Up 5

They were probably thinking, "Voting for the first time is an important rite of passage for intelligent young adults, sort of like how having sex for the first time is also an important rite of passage for adolescents and young adults. You never forget your first of either, after all. "

It's not the smartest political ad they've put out, but it's not that bad either. Outrage for outrage's sake, much?

• Thumbs Up 1

It's not the smartest political ad they've put out, but it's not that bad either.

Yeah, it kinda is, and I don't give a shit what the original intention for it was (and poor move deleting your first post reacting to it rolleyes.gif).

Outrage for outrage's sake, much?

Ask yourself for a second: What does it mean in popular society when a woman (and women specifically) doesn't treat sex, the first time she's having sex in particular, as a big deal and something to be cherished? Someone sat down and, by comparing voting for the first time for the right guy to having sex for the first time with the right guy, made the direct implication that if you don't vote for Obama that you are the voting equivalent to a whore, since you're wasting your vote. How in fuck is that "not that bad"?

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 4

Nah, the ad is pretty bad and tasteless. I see the thought process behind it but is still bad. I actually disagree in that the GOP can't use this in their benefit....of course they can! They can still spin this around and being the close race it already is the Romney campaign just needs to take off a little bit of support for Obama to have a better chance at winning.

I've seen a few things compared to losing one's virginity (first videogame, first waxing etc), so perhaps I'm simply used to things being compared to it (and nobody wants to see their kids lose their gaming virginity to a Bobby Kotick moneyhat production). So yeah, sure, it's not a very smart ad, I see that, but I just don't see where the outrage is coming from, especially when you've got Republicans periodically trying to redefine rape, claiming that slavery was a good thing etc etc. Compared to all the other not-so-smart political ads and propaganda pushes we've seen this year, this particular ad seems to me to be tame by comparison. Hell, maybe this election season has just desensitized me to stupidity. You know, since there's so damn much flying around everywhere.

Edited by Patticus

Meh. As an asexual, this ad disturbs me. :/ It's bad enough that the media sexualizes women as-is. Now political ads are doing it, too?

Not cool.

Meh. As an asexual, this ad disturbs me. :/ It's bad enough that the media sexualizes women as-is. Now political ads are doing it, too?

Not cool.

Western society as a whole sexualizes girls now at younger ages than ever before. Look at all the single digit girls in the UK who have their bedrooms plastered with Playboy-themed tat, for example, or the myriad Halloween costumes across the US preparing very young girls for lives of sexual promiscuity and skanky dress senses. That there should be some over-spill into a political arena where there are increasing numbers of politically aware teens shouldn't come as a surprise.

And be thankful it's not some grey-faced old man in that ad, rather than an attractive young woman. That would be something worth reviling.

edit: Ninja'd again! D:<

They were probably thinking, "Voting for the first time is an important rite of passage for intelligent young adults, sort of like how having sex for the first time is also an important rite of passage for adolescents and young adults. You never forget your first of either, after all. "

It's not the smartest political ad they've put out, but it's not that bad either. Outrage for outrage's sake, much?

Oh, I'm personally not angered by it, I'm just bewildered about why they thought it was a good idea to release it, especially right now of all times. There's nothing particularly wrong about appealing to first-time voters, and nothing particularly wrong with using humour to do so, but this metaphor is ludicrous once past the superficial connection and as such lends itself to being seen as offensive from a handful of standpoints. "Even political ads are objectifying women", "girls lose their virginity to the lesser of the evils by a certain date", or, worst yet, "Obama wants to have sex with your daughter*" and "people who vote for Obama are sluts!"

* I'm not even kidding about that one, someone actually made that connection, complete with racist undertones.

As Tornado said, I have doubts that this will be circling around in GOP-approved advertisements within the next few days, but it certainly will attract negative media attention, and for an understandable reason.

Edited by BlazingTales

I've seen a few things compared to losing one's virginity (first videogame, first waxing etc), so perhaps I'm simply used to things being compared to it (and nobody wants to see their kids lose their gaming virginity to a Bobby Kotick moneyhat production). So yeah, sure, it's not a very smart ad, I see that, but I just don't see where the outrage is coming from, especially when you've got Republicans periodically trying to redefine rape, claiming that slavery was a good thing etc etc. Compared to all the other not-so-smart political ads and propaganda pushes we've seen this year, this particular ad seems to me to be tame by comparison. Hell, maybe this election season has just desensitized me to stupidity. You know, since there's so damn much flying around everywhere.

Even though the things some Republicans have said are repugnant, this ad is still in the same vein as those kind of comments (even if it looks like to you tame by comparison). I think what Tornado said summarizes what I think too.

Western society as a whole sexualizes girls now at younger ages than ever before. Look at all the single digit girls in the UK who have their bedrooms plastered with Playboy-themed tat, for example, or the myriad Halloween costumes across the US preparing very young girls for lives of sexual promiscuity and skanky dress senses. That there should be some over-spill into a political arena where there are increasing numbers of politically aware teens shouldn't come as a surprise.

And be thankful it's not some grey-faced old man in that ad, rather than an attractive young woman. That would be something worth reviling.

Just because Western society does it doesn't mean it's right and people shouldn't be surprised/shocked.

Sorry for the double post, but if Romney wanted another issue to attack Obama then this was it:

Then on the national security front, which once upon a time was thought to be President Obama’s strong suit, more Libya news broke. We learned that“an urgent request from the CIA annex for military back-up during the attack on the U.S. consulate and subsequent attack several hours later was denied by U.S. officials — who also told the CIA operators twice to ‘stand down’ rather than help the ambassador’s team when shots were heard at approximately 9:40 p.m. in Benghazi on Sept. 11.” The president’s refusal to fully explain what happened there has left a vacuum that nearly every day is filled with troubling news. Was there some good reason for the order? Did the president make the call? Could we have saved our people? Obama should be answering these and other questions, but he won’t. The void in leadership and competence is now an open wound.

http://www.washingto...1f8b-11e2-9cd5-

b55c38388962_blog.html

The original story is from....FOX news hence why I am not linking to them. I really don't know how this will affect the voters' minds, but it doesn't look good to me.

And the ad from earlier is already causing waves, comparing Obama to President Vladimir Putin:

But the ad has touched off condemnation among conservative, and has drawn comparisons to a similar ad aired by Russian President Vladimir Putin in the country’s presidential election earlier this year.

Those Putin ads featured young women discussing their “first time” and alluding to them voting for Putin in the election.

The slogan “Putin. The first time – just for love” appears on the screen at the end of one ad.

One Minnesota Republican official tweeted that the ad’s similarities to Putin’s campaign ads means “they must share the same advisor. #Satan #RussianStyleTactics #tcot.” The Tweet has since been deleted.

Conservative columnist Jon Podhoretz called it an “unwise political move,” then later joked that Romney would run the ad “200 times until election day.”

Redstate.com’s Erick Erickson declared that the video was proof that “we live in a fallen world destined for hell fire.”

“Consider the number of people who have no problem with the president of the United States, via a campaign ad, ridiculing virgins and comparing sex to voting,” he added.

Edited by Pegasus Seiya

Looking at the ad it's kind of upsetting, not necessarily the ad but how it feels like Obama's shooting himself with the foot in this one. It's kind of like that scene from The Waterboy where Adam Sandler catches the football only to give it back to the opponent while trying to do something else.

It's going to suck if this shit is going to turn the tide backward again.

• Thumbs Up 1

Do presidential candidates have to personally watch and approve of all their campaign ads, even ones not directly featuring the candidate like this one? Serious question.

Just because Western society does it doesn't mean it's right and people shouldn't be surprised/shocked.

Of course it isn't right, but what is right and the reality of the societies we live in are two very different things. I'm not shocked or surprised because, well, I'm just not. Can't be sure why. Could be that I've seen worse, or the stupidity on display in this country especially has lead me to expect the worst from everything, or perhaps I've got so mad over so much lately that I just can't bring myself to feel mad about this.

Am I wrong for just watching the first ten seconds and laughing at how this is presented?

I mean seriously, the first thing to my head was "lol wat da fuq? Are you serious?!"

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 3

I thought it was pretty funny actually, despite its obvious insensitivity. Still, I was hoping Biden wouldn't make another gaffe until after the election.

There was no cover-up. There was and remains a great deal of confusion. Even Condi Rice knows this.

Obviously questions must be asked of what happened, investigations are even now ongoing, so coming to conclusions now, and playing the blame game, is not the right thing to do.

Wow did Romney made a deal with the devil this past week or something? Cause Obama is really taking it now.....or does that mean Romney is the devil? ohmy.png

Read the article. The man also recalls that Obama refused to look him in the eyes.

The Benghazi attack, and its cover-up, were shameful reminders of the true incompetence of this administration. Fox News was the first network to discover that Navy Seals were repeatedly told not to act by the Pentagon. This was a cover-up of epic proportions, one that will decide the election if CNN, ABC, NBC, MSNBC, Current TV, The Young Turks, The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, The Tonight Show, and the Obama Campaign can't keep the undecided voters from discovering it.

http://www.foxnews.c...ck-sources-say/

While yes the Obama Administration screwed up its hardly an epic screw up on the magnitude of Watergate or the Vietnam War that your favourite news channel Fake News are making it out to be.

You act like this is the worst Administration America has ever had. Do you think Romney can do better?huh.png

Wow did Romney made a deal with the devil this past week or something? Cause Obama is really taking it now.....or does that mean Romney is the devil? ohmy.png

I think he is more like Cruella De Ville with a penis.wink.png

Edited by BW199148

I KNOW he can't. He didn't do shit in Massachusetts, he was one of the worst governors we ever had. I get pissed when he tries to talk about how he did a lot for "his state". He wasn't in office for most of the goddamn years he was in.

• Thumbs Up 4

I KNOW he can't. He didn't do shit in Massachusetts, he was one of the worst governors we ever had. I get pissed when he tries to talk about how he did a lot for "his state". He wasn't in office for most of the goddamn years he was in.

When I was in the states my Grandfather said the same thing he lives in New Hampshire which is just above Massachusetts.smile.png