Awoo.

The General American Politics Thread

turbojet

*The Life and Times of Romney-San and Obama-Senpai*

This picture. Oh my god... this picture had me laughing uncontrollably.

Edit: Sorry about last post, I'd had a little too much to drink

Considering Romney and Ryan's... odd habit of staring longingly at the opponent during the debates, this almost seems like a fantasy of his.

tumblr_mbregfy4yP1qjlix6o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mbregfy4yP1qjlix6o2_500.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Although (non-voting) Democrat, I already made up my mind that Romney has been a better candidate than, say, John McCain.

I am still deciding whether Paul Ryan is better than Sarah Palin.

Hmm... Actually, if I rephrase the question to who is the lesser of two evils, then definitely Paul Ryan.

Not sure how the guy who's lied so much beyond expected political standards that it's become a stereotype he has failed and refused to overcome is a better candidate than the man who had the balls to stand up to someone in his audience accusing Obama of not being from this country. Really, McCain's got a lot more integrity than Romney, and his efforts to drum up support for repealing Citizens' United haven't gone unnoticed or unappreciated by me. It's funny though; every year we progress, previous Republican candidates seem much better than the current ones by comparison because the party keep doubling down on appealing to their remaining constituents. They're the Zelda of politics.

• Thumbs Up 4

Although (non-voting) Democrat, I already made up my mind that Romney has been a better candidate than, say, John McCain.

I am still deciding whether Paul Ryan is better than Sarah Palin.

Hmm... Actually, if I rephrase the question to who is the lesser of two evils, then definitely Paul Ryan.

Quite honestly, I'd say Paul Ryan and Sarah Palin are equally bad. While Ryan doesn't have the big mouth Palin has, he still has an extremely off-putting conservative record.

1. He's extremely against abortion throughout all circumstances.

2. Is extremely against gay marriage. In fact, he pledges to promose a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage throughout the country, which is illegal because it violates the EQA and Due Process Clauses.

3. He's been extremely inconsistent with his own policies and sometimes cherry-picks specific phrases to gain an advantage. Ryan, for example, was caught lying (even by Fox News) to the audience in the Republican National Convention.

The vice president nominee is a huge focus. If Romney is President, and something happens to him (God forbid), then under the U.S. Constitution, Ryan becomes U.S. President. I have much more distrust in Ryan than Romney (and that's saying something, because I'm not a fan of Romney at all).

And Romney a better candidate than McCain? Quite honestly, I have way more faith in McCain than Romney. McCain, despite his conservative policies, have been consistent at least and is one of the more sane members of the GOP left. Romney, on the other hand, hasn't been consistent one bit.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

McCain is a legitimate public servant who didn't even compromise as many of his ideals as most do when he ran for president (and prior to running for President actually had a lot of friends on both sides of the aisle), and if he had won in 2008 that aren't that many things I think that would have changed (mostly because the really major differences between him and Obama he would have caved on under pressure).

Romney is a robot sent by an alien race to investigate human emotions in preparation for an invasion.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 8

McCain is a legitimate public servant who didn't even compromise as many of his ideals as most do when he ran for president (and prior to running for President actually had a lot of friends on both sides of the aisle), and if he had won in 2008 that aren't that many things I think that would have changed (mostly because the really major differences between him and Obama he would have caved on under pressure).

I wish I could agree with you, but I can't. I don't think of McCain as a bad guy, but I don't think Dubya was either. On the other hand, when I saw McCain, I instantly thought W. 2.0.

Sure, I agree that McCain is more respected than Romney will ever be, but putting that aside, this what I believe would have happened: I think in the short term, McCain would appear to have done a better job than Obama when it comes to the economy. I believe that the recession IN 2010 wouldn't have been as bad with him on board; HOWEVER, I believe that Obama played moves that required a bit of suffering back then to allow us to recover in the long run. Somehow, I just believe that with McCain, he would make his term look as best as he could and then overtime, we would have an even worse recession.

If I am wrong, it doesn't matter, since this is pure speculation on my part. And as a matter of fact, I hope I am wrong.

I pray to Jeebus and the Flying Spaghetti Monster that Obama does well tomorrow. I'll be out voting as soon as I can, as early as 7:30am.

There are a few closet republicans at my office, and they look scared. Their fear is... delicious.

One of them said to another: "I tried to get into the Mitt Romney rally but couldn't because it was sold out. I hope thats a good sign..." This is the same doofus who said "Romney looks more Presidential, and thats what our country needs right now." AND he said that Global Warming is not a priority.

Edited by Barry the Nomad

AND he said that Global Warming is not a priority.

tumblr_m9nregUY6h1qc8jh0o1_250.giftumblr_m9nregUY6h1qc8jh0o2_250.gif

tumblr_m9nregUY6h1qc8jh0o3_250.giftumblr_m9nregUY6h1qc8jh0o4_250.gif

Sidenote: The [laughs] are not from Stephen Colbert's audience; they are from the RNC audience, where Romney was saying all this malarkey.

Edited by tenchibr
  • Thumbs Up 8

tumblr_m9nregUY6h1qc8jh0o1_250.giftumblr_m9nregUY6h1qc8jh0o2_250.gif

tumblr_m9nregUY6h1qc8jh0o3_250.giftumblr_m9nregUY6h1qc8jh0o4_250.gif

Sidenote: The [laughs] are not from Stephen Colbert's audience; they are from the RNC audience, where Romney was saying all this malarkey.

When I saw that live, you would not BELIEVE the "what the fuck" I bellowed out. Seriously, that comment made me shift from being against Romney to outright HATING the man. He, and the audience laughing, are what are wrong with not only America, but also with world.

• Thumbs Up 1

When I saw that live, you would not BELIEVE the "what the fuck" I bellowed out. Seriously, that comment made me shift from being against Romney to outright HATING the man. He, and the audience laughing, are what are wrong with not only America, but also with world.

When I saw that on Colbert Report, I fell in love with the man again, just like the time he owned Bush in the Correspondents Dinner.

Edited by tenchibr

538 blog update from this election eve, showing a huge polling lead for Obama right before the big day:

Electoral Vote

Obama: 315.3 (+8.1)

Romney: 222.7 (-8.1)

Chance of Winning

Obama: 92.2% (+5.9%)

Romney: 7.8% (-5.9%)

Popular Vote

Obama: 50.9% (+0.3%)

Romney: 48.2% (-0.3%)

In other 538 news, its forecast model is currently showing the swing states' odds of going red or blue as follows:

Colorado: 81.9% chance of Obama win.

Florida: 53.2% chance of Obama win.

Iowa: 86% chance of Obama win.

Nevada: 94.4% chance of Obama win.

New Hampshire: 86% chance of Obama win.

North Carolina: 72.3% chance of Romney win.

Ohio: 92.1% chance of Obama win.

Virginia: 81.5% chance of Obama win.

Wisconsin: 97.3% chance of Obama win.

The swingiest of all the swing states, going by this information, is Florida, where the race truly is neck and neck. In all of the other touted battlegrounds, and on the national level as well, the polls would have to be statistically biased against Romney. The odds of that eventuality actually happening are dwindling by the hour; cut in half over the weekend from just over 16% to just under 8%.

Things may not necessary go that way on the night of course, surprises can and do happen, which is the main reason I'm staying up (it's not in the bag until they announce the results), but you'd have to be pretty damn blinkered to ignore what seems to me to be a very strong recovery for the Obama campaign, reflected in the polls, this past two weeks.

I actually really like how excited and spirited Romney and his supporters are too, it's nice to see both sides really fired up and hopeful. You know, despite how duplicitous and deceitful the Romney/Ryan ticket has been.

Honestly, I'm gonna feel a lot better once this whole thing is done and over it. We all know how it's gonna go down. Either one wins and complaining and whining ensues. Just in there own ways. "Ah WE GUT A MURMAN PRESIDENT! END OF TEH WURLD GUYZ!", "MORE BLACK, GUESS WE'LL NEVER GO BACK!". 2 months later, we all grow up and move on hoping they don't screw up.

Fox News - Conservative stance, tries to pretend it's neutral;

If Fox News is trying to pretend it is neutral than it is massively failing at it

I don't think Fox News has ever tried to pretend it is neutral. Even the "fair and balanced" thing doesn't necessarily imply that.

It's more along the lines of they are trying to give the impression that they are the one sane man.

Edited by Tornado

Can we have twice the number of debates next time? I mean, the campaigns and adverts would be far more civil and upbeat and tolerable if the candidates meet, say, six times rather than three, beginning immediately after the last convention and taking us up to right before election day. And can they also mostly be seated debates? After all, the more you know and talk to someone in person, sat at a table in an intimate setting, the less likely the campaigns are going to wind up as shit slinging matches.

Another request, this one more doable: Can any of you guys with the ability to observe Romney supporters, online or off, let us all know in here how they react as the night wears on? I could use a laugh. ;)

I don't think Fox News has ever tried to pretend it is neutral. Even the "fair and balanced" thing doesn't necessarily imply that.

It's more along the lines of they are trying to give the impression that they are the one sane man.

I see, it appears I misunderstood their slogan, because AFAIK, "fair and balanced" meant if Obama is doing well, they would say it in the same tone as Romney doing well.

But since you brought that up, are they "fair and balanced?" No. Absolutely not.

Honestly, I'm gonna feel a lot better once this whole thing is done and over it. We all know how it's gonna go down. Either one wins and complaining and whining ensues. Just in there own ways. "Ah WE GUT A MURMAN PRESIDENT! END OF TEH WURLD GUYZ!", "MORE BLACK, GUESS WE'LL NEVER GO BACK!". 2 months later, we all grow up and move on hoping they don't screw up.

Only if Romney wins its a Templar Conspiracy for control! dry.png

I voted for Obama this morning. Even if it doesn't matter at all for my state's electoral votes, I'm glad I participated.