Awoo.

The General American Politics Thread

turbojet

Anyway, since this is effectively Obama's last term, I wonder if he'll use that as an excuse to not concede so much to the Republican house (because they're just going to triple down on the obstructionism). He effectively has nothing to lose now, right?..... Meh, one can dream, eh? xP

Lame Duck Term.

Obama's veto pen is gonna be logging some serious overtime. (Here comes that line Veto)

They could be wrong, but if three or four networks call it, you gotta be able to trust that.

I'm well aware of how it works. You still don't give your concession speech until the the votes for the swing states are in, and depending on how close Ohio gets they may go to automatic recount anyway.

See: Florida 2000.

Edited by Tornado

Romney must be trying to get that word count up on his losing speech. You know, the one he didn't write thanks to his overconfidence.

lol I saw that too, it was something like "I have my victory speech, it's one thousand words long!" I know some of you will think I'm joking, but nope, that is really what he said!

Edit: Oh here we go... the Romney count has already started to demand recounts.... ah well... here we go.

See: Florida 2000.

Gore could have dragged that on forever if he wanted to.

Today is different because the race probably won't be that close. They probably will wait for more concrete numbers, but all the recounts in the world won't matter anyway unless Mitt Romney sweeps basically every state still left on the table.

Breaking News!

Romney has left his home and is on his way to the Romney HQ! Who wants to take bets on what his speech will be? I'm going for 'We're sorry, we're sorry.... we're sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry.... Can I have a recont?'

• Thumbs Up 2

loling Romney didn't write concession

The public has spoken, and they want....

KrPjm.jpg

Smb33.gifFOUR MORE YEARS OF DOUCHEBAG! Smb33.gif

Edited by Nintendoga
  • Thumbs Up 5

Romney was so dumb that he didn't even write the concession?

Obama-Laughing-At.jpg

Or, again, he wants to make sure that Ohio will actually go to Obama before giving the speech saying that it will go to Obama.

Give me a break people. Do you really expect him to concede the race when the current numbers are this close with so many left? If he concedes rather than try to get a recount, he's at least going to wait until Ohio is 85-90% in. He's not going to throw the election when he's... 2000 votes behind and only 77% reporting. If he loses another state? Sure. But he's going to fight Ohio just as strongly as any other candidate would.

Gore could have dragged that on forever if he wanted to.

Which is exactly what he tried to do. That's why it had to go to the Supreme Court in the first place.

Today is different because the race probably won't be that close. They probably will wait for more concrete numbers, but all the recounts in the world won't matter anyway unless Mitt Romney sweeps basically every state still left on the table.

It probably won't be that close, so why bother pursuing it? This very likely isn't going to end tonight officially.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 3

Tornado, let us have our damn fun, will ya? B)

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 7

tumblr_mb4tuo6ZLT1qewcd0o1_400.jpg

Anyway, since this is effectively Obama's last term, I wonder if he'll use that as an excuse to not concede so much to the Republican house (because they're just going to triple down on the obstructionism). He effectively has nothing to lose now, right?..... Meh, one can dream, eh? xP

Also, I'm just as happy that Elizabeth Warren won her Senate race against her opponent Scott Brown tonight.

Well, I'll leave my two cents of Real here, which may not help much since the systems are different as night and day.

Lula did hold back in his first term for a plethora of reasons - some of his trademark programs from the beginning of his first term actually failed, scandals of corruption were all over the place and Brazil didn't grow all that much, One would expect him to lose when he tried the reelection, but he won (I can't remember the circumstances, but there were good ones anyway). In the second term, he managed to form alliances with other parties and started to get his own things done, effectively becoming hugely popular despite all the controversies.

Obama can't resort to alliances for two reasons: bipartidarian system and relative lack of strength of the Union (Lula sometimes just said "oh, so you guys disagree with me? Well, fuck you, I'm going to do it anyway with this weird constitutional measure whose purpose was to help deciding stuff in times of emergency, but for some reason it's MY call to say when it's an emergency). If anything, Obama might "team up" with the Judiciary System in case the Congress goes wild. But Obama, I suppose, has the card of international relations. It's all conflictuous, but the ambient is of relative peace right now - with everyone, especially so if we have Europe and Latin America in mind. peace, I said, not obedience. So he has to grow some diplomatic skills to search for the support he won't have at home.

Edited by Palas

ABC News last counted the delegates at Obama 281; Romney at 203.

No way Mittens is winning this by a longshot.

• Thumbs Up 2

Obama shoots and scores another 4 year term as president. Thank you for trying Romney but you made far too many blunders to secure the votes needed. And on that bombshell it's time to end this goodnight!

Ohio numbers from NBC. Not sure if true, but...

Traditionally Democratic counties around Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinatti have an estimated total of 750,000 uncounted votes in them.

Traditionally Republican-leaning counties in the rural areas, the coal belt in the south-east etc, have an estimated total of 140,000 uncounted votes in them.

If that's accurate, guess who's going to win?

Ohio numbers from NBC. Not sure if true, but...

Traditionally Democratic counties around Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinatti have an estimated total of 750,000 uncounted votes in them.

Traditionally Republican-leaning counties in the rural areas, the coal belt in the south-east etc, have an estimated total of 140,000 uncounted votes in them.

If that's accurate, guess who's going to win?

Karl Rove has been suggesting that too. He doesn't really think Romney will win. He just thinks calling Ohio as if he already lost was premature.

Edited by Tornado