Awoo.

The General American Politics Thread

turbojet

Obama re-elected.

Mourdock and Akin defeated in their bid for the Senate.

Same sex marriage allowed/legalized in the 4 states that put the question on the ballot.

Marijuana legalized in Colorado and Washington.

This has been one hell of a liberal night.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well I'm glad Obama won...but that means this restaurant is going to take this banner down....thank you for taking away my comedy gold Obama

G1HeL.jpg

Obama re-elected.

Mourdock and Akin defeated in their bid for the Senate.

Same sex marriage allowed/legalized in the 4 states that put the question on the ballot.

Marijuana legalized in Colorado and Washington.

This has been one hell of a liberal night.

I also hear Puerto Rico is exceedingly close to voting yes on statehood.

I don't think that's a liberal thing at all but it'd be cool to have a new state ratified in my lifetime, if only to see any potential fracas about what to do with the American flag.

B) And I am happy to have voted for legalization of pot and gay marriage in my state of WA.

Seriously, too many people get arrested just for possession when there are more severe crimes to worry about. /rolls off!

• Thumbs Up 6

God dammit. Now everyone hates me. Why did I ever post here that first time? I've only stuck around this long now to clear up the sexism so that when we're talking about an unrelated topic, there's not some sort of alien disconnect between you and the "sexist." But that isn't working either. Nepenthe, for example, we used to get along pretty well. I think I've lost a few e-pals tonight. That is way more painful than the election, and I honestly brought it upon myself. I'm done.

Look, it doesn't matter whose side you're on- if you come down here and speak in an inflammatory tone, you should expect responses that are just as vulgar. Yes, this forum does have a strong tendency towards Obama to say the least. If that offends you, then why the hell are you here? Nobody's forbidding you from throwing your own two cents on the issue into the discussion, but spewing mad libel like calling Clinton a pedophile or claim an entire gender was too guided by their hormones to vote properly in some misguided attempt to "get even" with the folks that would dare speak out against your own political interest isn't going to win you any points. If you shake a beehive, you don't get to play the victim when you get stung to shit.

On another note,

G1HeL.jpg

Just want to let everyone know that I didn't endorse that sign.

• Thumbs Up 2

And here I thought Romney's supposed 1100 word acceptance speech could be a long one.

Obama sure is passionate, I'll give him that, lol.

Edited by Joshua

Powerful speech there from Obama. Could've used that at the DNC, but no matter, we have it now.

Speaker Boehner of the House GOP seemed refreshingly conciliatory in a statement he made, but House GOP Leader Mitch McConnell really didn't. NBC's talking heads are suggesting Obama may have to go around him and look for his own support among Congressional Republicans.

Oh, Allen West, another Tea Party favorite has lost his election bid.

Edit: Virginia's vote count is 97% in, and it's 50%-48% in Obama's favour. NBC has called it for Obama at long last. Florida's vote is almost done and Obama's leading by 60,000-odd votes. He's likely to win that. Colorado is 87%-ish done and again, Obama still leading, expected now to take that too.

God dammit. Now everyone hates me. Why did I ever post here that first time? I've only stuck around this long now to clear up the sexism so that when we're talking about an unrelated topic, there's not some sort of alien disconnect between you and the "sexist." But that isn't working either. Nepenthe, for example, we used to get along pretty well. I think I've lost a few e-pals tonight. That is way more painful than the election, and I honestly brought it upon myself. I'm done.

So hey. Consider for a moment that exactly four years ago before the server wipe, all of us members were right here discussing the election just the same as now. Did you know that a lot of members, hell, even including Tornado last I remember, were supporters of McCain? Those were some of the most heated discussions people ever had. Despite some radically different opinions it never devolved into bickering of zealots and I'd like to say it was extraordinarily balanced.

I'm not sure if you ever felt like you had to somehow compensate for the lack of such considering most of this topic had a lot of "oh look at that silly Obama/Romney and their shenanigans" considering the divisiveness of this election made it less about trying to convince people to change their minds on who to vote for and more about making the people who've decided who to vote on to actually do it, but there's never anything wrong with debating the other side and no one's going to deride you for it as long as you don't make ignorant statements sprinkled with incredibly generalized reasons.

As long as you understand that you're welcome to post in any thread you want, and you'll have to be prepared anyway to be contended on your opinions. Don't assume people are stupid either if they don't "get you" because on a place like this, the individual is a smart being.

• Thumbs Up 9

Anywhere I can watch the speech online? I'm not the biggest politics guy but I like good ass speeches.

It'll be being uploaded to YouTube right now, most likely. We'll get you a link when we can.

To all who missed it but wanted to see it!

Romney's Concession Speech.

Obama's Victory Speech.

New York Times is really quick with it.

Anyway, yeah! I'm happy that Obama won this! I'm also happy that all these campaign commercials can finally die, until they are summoned once more.

So until then, It's time I celebrate four more yeeeeeeeears with four more beeeeeeeeeeeers!

Also, maybe I'll visit Colorado or Washington for medication. Uh, my -uh - eye hurts... Why? Mind yo' own business, that's why. >:U

Edited by YoshiUnity Types Again
  • Thumbs Up 5

Also, maybe I'll visit Colorado or Washington for medication. Uh, my -uh - eye hurts... Why? Mind yo' own business, that's why. >:U

Edited by Speederino
  • Thumbs Up 1

36541_10151504196301982_288358674_n.jpg

Sorry. I had too.

I have a strong feeling this has already been posted.....

Okay, looking back, I've been something of a psychopath here. Of course at this point it's just going to look like I'm fishing for sympathy, but after clearing my mind and re-reading some of my posts, hot damn I was riled up. I'd rather you accept this, but I understand if you don't: I apologize.

• Thumbs Up 1

Puerto Ricans want official statehood.

With 243 of 1,643 precincts reporting late Tuesday, 75,188 voters, or 53 percent, said they did not want to continue under the current political status. Forty-seven percent, or 67,304 voters, supported the status quo.

On the second question, 65 percent favored statehood, followed by 31 percent for sovereign free association and 4 percent for independence.

Here is a list of things that the GOP will need to change if it wants to remain competitive:

Support Gay Marriage. This will have serious repercussions, probably severely detrimental to Republican candidates, electorally, in the elections following this shift of focus, as social conservatives will be disenfranchised and unmotivated, sitting home instead of voting. But it will pay off in the long run.

Stop this Pro-Life nonsense. Do I need to elaborate here? Again, this will severely stifle Republican bids in the short term, but in the long term, it will help tremendously.

Stop the War on Pot. You want more of the young vote? Quit shaking your fist at the plant. It doesn't really hurt anybody, certainly no more than alcohol.

Call for easier amnesty. You want more of the Hispanic vote? Well then you're going to have to loosen up on the ridiculously brutal requirements that it takes for one to become an American citizen. Illegal immigration is a huge problem, but I don't even think it would be so bad if people didn't have to memorize more than the average American even knows about our country.

So, basically have them become libertarians instead? I would personally not be opposed to that at all.

http://www.boston.co...dCkO/story.html

The people have spoken. Will the GOP Congress listen? Well, if they want their party to become more inclusive and win another general election, pretty much if they know what's good for them, they will.

I think the way that referendum was set up compared to previous ones will be its downfall, unfortunately. It's non-binding anyway, but splitting it up into two parts I think further confuses the issue; because making the second part "well, if we have to do something what do you want to do" provides plenty of ammunition to discredit it.

And that's just talking about confusion on a local level, which needs to be cleared as a hurdle first before statehood is even considered.

Edited by Tornado

The worst part about all this... We shall never find out what Romney's plan was... I stocked up on yellow hats and dammit I don't even live in America!

Though we have learned something today, if you walk around for a year just saying 'Ive got a plan.' and don't actually tell people what it is, you too can lose the United States election.

• Thumbs Up 5

http://www.boston.co...dCkO/story.html

The people have spoken. Will the GOP Congress listen? Well, if they want their party to become more inclusive and win another general election, pretty much if they know what's good for them, they will.

My only opposition is that 50 is such a nice even number. If Puerto Rico is to become a state, I think we should ask North and South Dakota to put their differences aside.

• Thumbs Up 3