Awoo.

The General American Politics Thread

turbojet

John McCain's the only sane man?...Small list.

Wasn't McCain among those Republicans who put that Veterans Jobs Bill forward, then voted against it?

Sane my ass.

Wasn't McCain among those Republicans who put that Veterans Jobs Bill forward, then voted against it?

Sane my ass.

And who could forget when he voted no for Martin Luther Kings Birthday being a national holiday?

John McCain's the only sane man?...Small list.

No. Just that he's not part of the Religious Right. He's pretty much pissed away all of the integrity that he had before 2008, but him and Michelle Bachman still wouldn't hang out or anything like that.

Edited by Tornado

Hold on I don't follow... Civil war as in Left wingers vs right wingers? Um, no thank you! I am quite liberal, possibly more than I conciously consider myself to be. Should a real civil war break out, I, living in Texas, a very red conservative state, would definitely be lynched, tortured, and burned at the steak xD

Hold on I don't follow... Civil war as in Left wingers vs right wingers? Um, no thank you! I am quite liberal, possibly more than I conciously consider myself to be. Should a real civil war break out, I, living in Texas, a very red conservative state, would definitely be lynched, tortured, and burned at the steak xD

No. I meant civil war within the Republican Party.

Basically, the Tea Party morons that the Republicans pandered to in 2010 want back out, and some of the Republicans who were already there want to go with them.

You're not the only liberal Texan in this forum. But if that were to happen, I seriously DARE someone to pull that shit on me and not expect a fight.

Um.......it's illegal to secede from the Union ever since the Civil War ended, remember?

Pretty sure everyone here knows it's illegal after the first time it was attempted. That still isn't stopping this deranged people from looking for an excuse to try, and I can't say I wouldn't have saw it coming if it ever happened.

Unilateral secession was deemed unconstitutional in the mid 1800s in Texas v. White. The court declared in the same case, however, that secession is still an option if enough support is garnered by the states to do so.

There's nothing currently (and never was anything) illegal about secession. Only unilateral secession.

And I hope that the people who are treating this as if it is purely a "Stupid Butthurt Republican" thing will apply the same standards to the various attempts by people living in Hawaii and California over the same thing.

Edited by Tornado

And I hope that the people who are treating this as if it is purely a "Stupid Butthurt Republican" thing will apply the same standards to the various attempts by people living in Hawaii and California over the same thing.

25,000 signatures is certainly not a high amount to reach in California.

And the petitions merely require an email address and a zip code for verification, so it's not meticulously difficult add a signature on there, even for those living out of state.

And... none of that also applies to this situation? I don't get your point.

Edited by Tornado

Never really knew anything about them wanting secession. Republican's just seem to be the larger target by comparison.

You live in Florida. Don't even need a permit for that shit.

Isn't that the case for many southern states?

Okay, I agree with you to an extent, but it was never this extreme.

Okay, I agree with you to an extent, but it was never this extreme.

Oh god. Impeachment by popular vote of a Federal official (nevermind forcible removal of citizenship/deportation the same way) sounds like the most entertaining thing ever.

They should allow that just for the lulz.

Edited by Tornado

Romney has returned from obscurity to attribute Obama's victory to Obama giving "gifts" to black, Latino, and youth voters.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/romney-blames-loss-on-obamas-gifts-to-minorities-and-young-voters/

Saying that he and his team still felt “troubled” by his loss to President Obama, Mitt Romney on Wednesday attributed his defeat in part to what he called big policy “gifts” that the president had bestowed on loyal Democratic constituencies, including young voters, African-Americans and Hispanics.

In a conference call with fund-raisers and donors to his campaign, Mr. Romney said Wednesday afternoon that the president had followed the “old playbook” of using targeted initiatives to woo specific interest groups — “especially the African-American community, the Hispanic community and young people.”

“In each case, they were very generous in what they gave to those groups,” Mr. Romney said, contrasting Mr. Obama’s strategy to his own of “talking about big issues for the whole country: military strategy, foreign policy, a strong economy, creating jobs and so forth.”

Mr. Romney’s comments in the 20-minute conference call came after his running mate, Representative Paul D. Ryan of Wisconsin, told WISC-TV in Madison on Monday that their loss was a result of Mr. Obama’s strength in “urban areas,” an analysis that did not account for Mr. Obama’s victories in more rural states like Iowa and New Hampshire or the decrease in the number of votes for the president relative to 2008 in critical urban counties in Ohio.

“With regards to the young people, for instance, a forgiveness of college loan interest was a big gift,” Mr. Romney said. “Free contraceptives were very big with young, college-aged women. And then, finally, Obamacare also made a difference for them, because as you know, anybody now 26 years of age and younger was now going to be part of their parents’ plan, and that was a big gift to young people. They turned out in large numbers, a larger share in this election even than in 2008.”

The president’s health care plan, he said, was also a useful tool in mobilizing black and Hispanic voters. Though Mr. Romney won the white vote with 59 percent, according to exit polls, minorities coalesced around the president in overwhelming numbers: 93 percent of blacks and 71 percent of Hispanics.

“You can imagine for somebody making $25,000 or $30,000 or $35,000 a year, being told you’re now going to get free health care, particularly if you don’t have it, getting free health care worth, what, $10,000 per family, in perpetuity — I mean, this is huge,” Mr. Romney said. “Likewise with Hispanic voters, free health care was a big plus. But in addition with regards to Hispanic voters, the amnesty for children of illegals, the so-called Dream Act kids, was a huge plus for that voting group.”

Nationwide, Mr. Obama won a slightly smaller share of 18- to 29-year-old voters than he did in 2008, according to exit polls, though he increased his share in battleground states like Florida, Ohio and Virginia. Exit polls showed little appreciable difference between Mr. Obama’s performance among black voters nationwide and in many swing states in this election and in 2008. Among Hispanic voters nationwide, Mr. Obama won a greater share in 2012 than in 2008, but perhaps more important, he succeeded in increasing the share of Hispanic voters among the total voting population in key states, including Colorado and Nevada, exit polls showed.

During the call, Mr. Romney was by turns disappointed and pragmatic, expressing his frustration at the outcome on Election Day. A person who was on the call, which included hundreds of participants, let The New York Times listen in.

“I’m very sorry that we didn’t win,” Mr. Romney said on the call. “I know that you expected to win, we expected to win, we were disappointed with the result, we hadn’t anticipated it, and it was very close, but close doesn’t count in this business.”

He continued: “And so now we’re looking and saying, ‘O.K., what can we do going forward?’ But frankly, we’re still so troubled by the past, it’s hard to put together our plans for the future.”

He added that he was hoping to find a way for the close-knit group, which excelled in fund-raising but was ultimately unable to propel him into the Oval Office, “to stay connected so that we can stay informed and have influence on the direction of the party, and perhaps the selection of a future nominee, which, by the way, will not be me.” (He suggested an annual meeting, as well as a monthly newsletter.)

In a news conference of his own Wednesday, Mr. Obama, asked if he still planned to meet with Mr. Romney for a postelection discussion, spoke positively of his former opponent, saying that he “did a terrific job of running the Olympics,” and that he appreciated Mr. Romney’s ideas on government efficiency.

“I’m not either prejudging what he’s interested in doing, nor am I suggesting I’ve got some specific assignment,” the president said, when asked about Mr. Romney. “But what I want to do is to get ideas from him and see if there are some ways that we can potentially work together.”