Awoo.

The General 'Murican Politics Thread

Tornado

8 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

But Trump's not even in office yet. You have to give him a chance.

I have to wonder at this point if a honest to god black hating homophobic as hell womanizer that made clear he would ban the rights of certain minorities won the election, if apologists would still pull this "he's not in office yet, maybe he'll change now that he's president, just wait and see don't get scared yet" shit

Just now, CD Sanic said:

There's gotta be a way we can fight this, is there?

Protesting, writing to or, better yet, calling your local congressperson or senator (usually regarding specfic legislation), and voting in the mid-terms and general elections. These are our primary recourses.

• Thumbs Up 5

28 minutes ago, CD Sanic said:

There's gotta be a way we can fight this, is there?

Yes, but it is gonna be tough. You can help by talking to people about politics and what the administration is going to do with your rights and the enviroment, get involved with your local town's or city's politics, support & donate to groups like PBS, enviromental conservationists, political activists, civil rights activists, journalists, & LBGT organizations, protest oppressive laws and legislation, vote in the 2018 midterms, if you can, change your lifestyle to be more ecofriendly and encourage others to do so, and most importantly speak about these issues. Have your voice be heard!

• Thumbs Up 4

So anyone know how long is this "Give Trump a chance" charade gonna last?

3 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

As long as their ability to delude themselves lasts. Or until they get hit with an unexpected accident and find that Trump throws them out like yesterday's garbage despite their loyalty.

1 hour ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

It could last until people see sense, it could go on until he bungles a major crisis, or it could last his whole damn term. It all depends on the people you hear saying it and their individual breaking points, as well as what's going on in the country and the world, how his administration's activities are reported, whether or not there are any scandals, etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 10:35 PM, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

It's moments like these that make me wonder what those who voted for Trump would say if he screws up.

"Well it was Obama's fault, that was stuff he started when he was in office!"

• Thumbs Up 3

The Women's March on Washington is about to begin. They've amassed so many people that the crowd literally stretches to well over half of the marching path. There's also around 600 planned sister marches not just in the US but internationally, and this is already the most protested inauguration in US history. Good to see the world isn't all right with this.

• Thumbs Up 6

Can't wait to go on Facebook to see everyone complaining about them getting in the way and how these protests are pointless and not how to do it(all the while not actually saying how a protest should work). Though who knows, maybe this won't be as negatively received as any BLM protest 

• Thumbs Up 1

Apparently there was a women's march in my town. A town that is both profoundly small and startlingly red, so I never thought one would actually take place here. In my defense, I cannot for the life of me think of any time any sort of march took place in this town, and for I know the turnout was very small, but I still feel bad knowing I couldn't see it myself in person and participate.

I have, however, overheard at least one woman say she wasn't even sure what those women are marching for. That's a very special kind of tone deafness.

Laundry list of topics!

Anti-Trump protests widespread and largely peaceful. A minority went violent, my thoughts on that are obvious, but overall everything was peaceful and that’s good.

Neo-Nazi Richard Spencer got punched twice by a protester. Again, my thoughts on violence are obvious, but I’m not crying any tears for him.

White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer gave a special press conference to condemn inaccurate reporting (all while giving unfounded statements about the inauguration and its turnout), while also saying Trump would hold the press accountable (that seems backwards). He went so far as to say applauding Trump was a sign of patriotism, all while saying the Democrats are playing politics with national security over the confirmation of the CIA Director (who is in favor of torture). He told the press they should report on Pompeo’s obstruction over the inauguration, something fairly chilling when you realize the Administration is trying to direct the press. Note how Spicer seems to be almost yelling for most of it.

Trump likewise condemned the media for false reporting while speaking at the CIA, in front of a wall that honors fallen operatives.

Trump also fired every single foreign ambassador with no replacements lined up for most of them. This means that a lot of countries no longer have a direct line to the President, even ones we have fragile relations with.

Some humor: Trump changed the official Presidential Twitter banner no less than three times in one day. The first banner? A picture of President Obama’s 2009 inauguration.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Nepenthe said:

The Women's March on Washington is about to begin. They've amassed so many people that the crowd literally stretches to well over half of the marching path. There's also around 600 planned sister marches not just in the US but internationally, and this is already the most protested inauguration in US history. Good to see the world isn't all right with this.

I've seen various protests on TV throughout my lifetime and I can honestly say that I can remember the last time I saw global protest as big as this time! Those crowds were just unbelievable and smashed expected attendance records!

• Thumbs Up 3

What next? A new nation anthem heiling Trump and Republican ideals, with the building of a statue of Trump atop a throne made of the bodies of minorities being placed up at the White House?

1 minute ago, SenEDtor Missile said:

What next? A new nation anthem heiling Trump and Republican ideals, with the building of a statue of Trump atop a throne made of the bodies of minorities being placed up at the White House?

Okay you really seem to be over exaggerating a lot in this thread man. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, KHCast said:

Sorry, I keep meaning to but my irritation keeps getting the better of me. I'll just stay quiet from now on. Trump just seems to bring out the worst in me.

12 minutes ago, KHCast said:

In all fairness, a lot of what has been happening has a degree of overtones to what he's relating it to. Not that we'll immediately go Nazi Germany, but still.

Although I will say the Heil Trump anthem was too much. :lol:

3 hours ago, Noelgilvie said:

Anti-Trump protests widespread and largely peaceful. A minority went violent, my thoughts on that are obvious, but overall everything was peaceful and that’s good.

The Black Bloc were the primary violent element, thankfully, and not the Women's March protesters. Anti-governmental anarchists, they made similar scenes around Obama 2013 inauguration as well, if I recall - they care not who is being sworn in, only that someone is being sworn.

• Thumbs Up 2

Honestly, my main hope is we don't buy into the political loyalty = national loyalty bullcrap Trump is pushing.

Spicer called the CIA's applause of Trump a show of patriotism, Trump's National Patriotism Day thing, etc... it seems to me like they're going for a Bush-esque policy where questioning the government means you're not a patriot. Pretty terrifying, honestly.

9/11 was two Presidencies ago, but I hope our memories of blind loyalty to Bush are strong. Based on Democrat resistance, I'd say that yes, this is the case.

God forbid there's any sort of national crisis during Trump's term. He'd surely misuse it to smear political opponents.

• Thumbs Up 2

We're already past the point where a non-significant amount of people believe everything that comes out of the administration's mouth as undeniable fact and that any other media outlet is fake news. "We were always at war with Eurasia" post-truth kind of shit. And if Trump's ego got bruised enough over the inauguration numbers to signal a press conference lying about that, you can guarantee he's going to lie about more pressing matters, such as the reason he's currently trying to dismantle the EU's army while Russia continues showing no signs of backing off on territorial expansion, or the amount of my people about to be killed by police for no reason ("Law and order has returned to these war zones!")

It would just be best to treat the House as if it were totally confirmed to be compromised by Russian interests and treat everything they say as a lie, to fervently fact check everything and, on the off chance they're not lying, ask how it fits their agenda.

• Thumbs Up 2