Awoo.

The General 'Murican Politics Thread

Tornado

As someone actually in this I do not care what side of the coin anyone sits on i just want to see this thing ended and both sides puffing their chest instead of working together even if some have to give up something on both sides..

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/24/politics/senate-votes-shutdown-congress/index.html

As expected, McConnell is the first of the big three - Pelosi and Trump being the other two - to soften his stance. He is allowing votes on competing government reopening measures, one which has wall funding and the other which doesn't. This is contrary to his original statement that he would not allow any votes on bills that Trump would not sign.

Short of Pelosi or Trump moderating, which I'm not really seeing at the moment, my anticipation is some moderates in the Senate will create a bipartisan bill that funds the wall but also provides some permanent legal solution for many or all of the Dreamers. Whatever the bill is, it will need 67 votes.

Then it can be sent to the House, where moderate Democrats and Republicans can join forces to get it to two-thirds there, which will overrule Pelosi. Trump will threaten to veto, but two-thirds means his resistance is largely symbolic at that point.

There will be no happy solution here. But millions of people will get much-needed relief from a compromise bill passing.

On 1/20/2019 at 6:39 AM, Patticus said:

Temporary protected status, apparently. Nothing like what they need.

Naturally, the Democrats have rejected the proposition. Trump is not happy about that.

Exactly.

Some Democrats have offered to back Trump's wall in exchange for actual legal status for the Dreamers in the past, as memory serves. Trump of course refused that. He wants to keep them in a legal limbo so he can use them as a bargaining chip down the line.

The Democrats know it's a bad deal to trade something long-term - a wall - for something very short-term - temporary legal status. Plus since it'd be an executive action, Trump could easily walk back his promise.

Eh, I don't expect any kind of compromise involving wall funding. Border security funding in general that doesn't include wall funding, perhaps, but the most consistent theme I've seen coming out of the Dems is "wall funding is out of the question". They know giving Trump what he wants will just invite more shutdowns, it's basically a hostage situation, and as they say, you don't negotiate with terrorists.

1 hour ago, Candescence said:

Eh, I don't expect any kind of compromise involving wall funding. Border security funding in general that doesn't include wall funding, perhaps, but the most consistent theme I've seen coming out of the Dems is "wall funding is out of the question". They know giving Trump what he wants will just invite more shutdowns, it's basically a hostage situation, and as they say, you don't negotiate with terrorists.

Watch Trump find a way to frame liberals as terrorists and then order his Loofawaffles (yes this is deliberate) to zap them to the extreme (yes I am comparing Trump to Chris-Chan and the Trumpers to Sonichu, don’t deny the similarities).

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Candescence said:

They wouldn't be giving Trump what he wants, though. He hates DACA and knows a deal on it would make his base hate him, as it did with the Amnesty Don incident. It's only inviting more shutdowns if they cave for the sake of opening the government, rather than extracting a huge concession first.

So pairing a DREAM Act with some sort of "wall" is the ultimate revenge on him, because he gets what he wants and what he hates most at the same time.

But since he walked away from negotiations, I expect any "wall" agreed to will be little more than a refurbished fence. The moment Congress can get to some two-thirds agreement is the moment they completely ignore him.

Was that not a bill that would have open up things on the short term but AOC voted against it cause it had funding for ICE? If so thats just silly. People will miss another check tonight.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/10/trump-white-house-urging-allies-to-prepare-for-possible-rbg-departure-1096102

So the Trump White House is drawing up possible replacements for Ginsburg.

All respect to her, but she really should have left when Obama was still in office. We're likely about to get screwed for a generation.

That said, with how states are making independent strides (such as taking out loans to pay federal workers in their state) in light of the shutdown, the Supreme Court shifting right may not be as bad as originally assumed. It will most certainly be a possibility blue states will just ignore its rulings.

If the GOP wants to play politics, they can't be pissed when the Dems do it right back. Just say the Court was clearly politically-oriented in its appointments, is therefore illegitimate, and ignore whatever it says.

We might be on the cusp of another switch in time that saves nine, as a Court that becomes obnoxiously right wing is a Court a lot of states are going to ignore.

• Thumbs Up 1

Trump: I’m prepared to shut down the government for months or years until I get my wall.
Trump 35 days later: So I’m willing to reopen the government for 3 weeks while negotiations take place without funding for the wall.
Rest of the country: -Shocked Pikachu face-

• Promotion 1

• 3 weeks later...

The said fact is that both are terrible crimes despite the difference—they risk fucking someone’s life up regardless.

Nevermind that DUI’s aren’t exclusive to illegal aliens when natives are also guilty of it.

1 hour ago, Patticus said:

Is this a coded message telling illegal aliens it's cool to commit white collar bank fraud?

Well, that would be a fun way to play with his own words down to the core.

So how about that extremely homophobic maga hat wearing politician that in a interview, and on television stated essentially he’d drown his kids if they cane out to him? And also likened the lgbt community to the kkk. Fun times we’re in huh 

3 minutes ago, KHCast said:

So how about that extremely homophobic maga hat wearing politician that in a interview, and on television stated essentially he’d drown his kids if they cane out to him?

So much for the unconditional love of parents...

I hope that his children do come out to him, force him to put his money where his mouth is - either shut up or commit murder and go to prison.

So, how's America's politics? Stupid as usual, I see? See, this is why I gave up on politics: no matter what side you take, someone will be offended by my choice. I'm slightly more liberal, but I'm not a Democrat, and I don't really fucking care who gets in office (though I will say that I'm not that impressed with our current President, but I'm a hard person to please when it comes to that.)

1 hour ago, SSF1991 said:

So.

National emergency called over a fucking wall.

What now?

A risk of it backfiring on him?

I can’t believe how deep this guys going for this thing. I’m wondering if even if nothing came from this stunt, this’ll continue happening for months down the line.cause he’s just not gonna stop I feel until it happens 

>Trump declares National Emergency to build wall.
>Democrats immediately tie it up in the courts for years, until a Democratic president can shut it down.
>Trump gets to say he tried his best, blaming the Democrats, placating and rallying his base.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/2020-democrat-candidates-771735/

Andrew Yang slowly working his way up the rankings, I see.

Here's hoping his name spreads through more word of mouth, and more good press.

My only concern with him is lack of formal political office experience, but everything else about him is awesome. Bernie, if you get the nomination, you better damn make Yang your running mate.

If nothing else I hope he gets far enough into the primaries that other candidates consider his ideas. If not a formal basic income, it'd be nice if we gave leeway to all states to abolish means testing for welfare and the like. In absence of a formal bill, just ordering our welfare secretaries to throw out a bunch of rules is the best thing to do.

• Thumbs Up 2

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/19/politics/bernie-sanders-2020-presidential/index.html

Bernie Sanders has officially joined the campaign.

While he's got a big name advantage, this campaign cycle will be a lot more challenging. Rather than having a single monolithic moderate to tackle, there's a lot more progressive candidates this time around, and a lot of them are from minority groups. Even when it comes to economic populism, Bernie's universal healthcare proposal seems a bit weak when Andrew Yang is promising a basic income.

Meanwhile, I'm hoping this will be the reaction:

S6A8lVC.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Heard ol Bernie was running again. Hopefully he gets his chance this time. Though I wont personally be voting for him. I'd like a candidate that actually knows where all this money everyone seems to think will pay for everything comes from.  such as his U. Health care  ideas. I dont care to be taxed more to pay for others like Sweden.