Awoo.

The General 'Murican Politics Thread

Tornado

Who has time to care about the lives of other people and the stability of our political institutions when you're going to work?

• Thumbs Up 5

1 minute ago, KHCast said:

I literally said "if it's true" and you you're the one that started laughing and calling out people bringing up Trump getting impeached(something that even people in political positions and even on the republican side are saying is a serious real possibility). So I think I have a right to "attack" you're opinion when you're doing the same to those expressing theirs.

And good for you, you work and shit. Your "I'm fine so everyone else is too" mentality is concerning 

Typically the more on curses when making a point just makes shake my head. So much pent up anger whew. You can attack me. No protest here :). After 27 years you learn to coop with other opinions

Do what you will. I simply doubt impeach Ingram would and will not happen.

It's weird that you think something like "LGBT people aren't humans who deserve the same rights as straight people" is just a difference an opinion and not an actual condemnation of one's character. Go tell Matthew Shephard's parents that; I'm sure they'll be delighted.

• Thumbs Up 6

4 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

Who has time to care about the lives of other people and the stability of our political institutions when you're going to work?

Oh I care for other lives. But I've yet to see anyone being killed in the country. People take for granted how well we have it. If other people's lives mean that much why not give more of your paycheck to them? Why not give 60% to help ou5 homeless vets. Not charity's just give more? Again don't get all tense. I support neither side

1 minute ago, Meta77 said:

If other people's lives mean that much why not give more of your paycheck to them?

I don't think money is what the people being detained at the border gates are wanting right now.

You know, honestly, not a single one of Trump's policies has done anything to affect me personally (so far). I too go about my day by going to class and working and all that jazz. But that doesn't mean I can bring myself to just throw out my empathy and ignore the world around me.

• Thumbs Up 5

24 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

Overriding the judicial branch through ignoring a federally-mandated court order while simultaneously stripping their administrative offices of staff and notice and thus their effective judgement and oversight on carrying out these executive orders

Which, I might add, is a mega against the law.

Anyone scoffing at the suggestion that Trump could be impeached could stand to actually understand the legality of what he does, and further understand that other presidents (Bill Clinton, namely) have been impeached for much smaller crimes.  Impeachment isn't something reserved only for third-world dictators.

12 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Oh I care for other lives. But I've yet to see anyone being killed in the country. People take for granted how well we have it. If other people's lives mean that much why not give more of your paycheck to them? Why not give 60% to help ou5 homeless vets. Not charity's just give more?\

"Why not give more of your paycheck to stimulate a short-term relief instead of protesting the legislative action that is actually the source of the problem to begin with?"

• Thumbs Up 4

5 minutes ago, Speederino: Hero of Hyrule said:

I don't think money is what the people being detained at the border gates are wanting right now.

You know, honestly, not a single one of Trump's policies has done anything to affect me personally (so far). I too go about my day by going to class and working and all that jazz. But that doesn't mean I can bring myself to just throw out my empathy and ignore the world around me.

You pretty phrased what I'm thinking. Just nicer and less ignorant sounding lol.i don't ignore things I just move when I feel I need to

Oh I care for other lives. But I've yet to see anyone being killed in the country.

You've proven time and time again you don't particularly care about anything regarding sociopolitical issues and concerns except for taunting and bragging that you're not politically engaged or knowledgeable, and thus don't care because you personally haven't been affected in an overtly physical sense. It comes across as blissful and proud ignorance, and it does absolutely nothing to placate people that are indeed being affected and threatened by Trump's policies, and the people who care about those affected. Honestly don't see why you concern yourself with the thread at all when this is all you've ever had to contribute.

People take for granted how well we have it. If other people's lives mean that much why not give more of your paycheck to them? Why not give 60% to help ou5 homeless vets. Not charity's just give more? Again don't get all rense

Charity is a support system that's made to placate an existing problem. Throwing money at homeless vets doesn't solve the issue. Protesting and advocating for politicians who can write the laws and systems necessary for governing how we treat military vets when they come back home is how we actually solve the problem.

Besides, what the flying fuck are you doing for anyone else aside from going to work for yourself and laughing about people giving a damn in this thread? 

• Thumbs Up 9

26 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

i don't ignore things I just move when I feel I need to

So when you start to feel affected you'll move? Because that is what you are exactly saying by dismissing the detained and LGBT groups by saying "everything is fine because I still got my job". 

Have you ever read this poem?

first-they-came-for-the-jews.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Meta77 said:

Oh I care for other lives.

See you say that but...

I'm sure eventually he may do something to annoy me.

i don't ignore things I just move when I feel I need to

That message just isn't getting across.

• Thumbs Up 9

2 hours ago, Meta77 said:

Oh I care for other lives. But I've yet to see anyone being killed in the country. People take for granted how well we have it. If other people's lives mean that much why not give more of your paycheck to them? Why not give 60% to help ou5 homeless vets. Not charity's just give more? Again don't get all tense. I support neither side

If you care for other lives, then you should act like it. Because quite frankly, you sound more apathetic than considerate.

There's more to living than simply not being killed. You say people take for granted how well we have it, but that's the thing--not everyone has it as well as each other, even in this very country. We may not be living as bad as someone in Somalia, but having a president issue an executive order to keep people from muslim majority countries out and an executive branch that might be hostile to the LGBT community isn't what I would call people taking for granted how well we have it. That's a sign of the worst yet to come to a lot of people, and it's easy to not be bothered by that when it doesn't affect you.

• Thumbs Up 4

So I checked my pulse this morning and pinched myself, indicating that I'm definitely alive and conscious.

That said, what bloody planet am I bloody on right the tits now.

• Thumbs Up 4

6 minutes ago, KHCast said:

The realistic part of me wants to say he's being facetious and people are blowing up over what was most likely a not-so-funny joke.

The deadpan snarker side of me, though...

• Thumbs Up 1

I've kept quiet for a long while guys and...as days go by, I am getting more and more scared. I need to be in the next Women's March.

I admit I am pathetic, not thinking that Trump wouldn't really do any of this. I didn't vote for him mind you, but I wasn't scared when he got elected.

The past week just changed my views completely about this guy. I am just seeing him sign EO after EO. Stupid ones that can seriously affect our country. The recent Muslim ban put me in to deeper shock. Now there are rumors of discrimination EOs are gonna happen. He must be stopped at all costs. 

I feel like an idiot ignoring this. Now I am no longer ignoring this bullcrap. I am going to do whatever I can to stop this guy before he causes anymore damage. I cannot stand to see anymore people suffer. What's next? Changing Black History Month to All History Month? No, I am NOT having that.

• Thumbs Up 8

2 minutes ago, Tara said:

The realistic part of me wants to say he's being facetious and people are blowing up over what was most likely a not-so-funny joke.

The deadpan snarker side of me, though...

Well I mean he posted his password on Twitter not that long ago...

4 minutes ago, Merry Merry Hatsune said:

I've kept quiet for a long while guys and...as days go by, I am getting more and more scared. I need to be in the next Women's March.

I admit I am pathetic, not thinking that Trump wouldn't really do any of this. I didn't vote for him mind you, but I wasn't scared when he got elected.

The past week just changed my views completely about this guy. I am just seeing him sign EO after EO. Stupid ones that can seriously affect our country. The recent Muslim ban put me in to deeper shock. Now there are rumors of discrimination EOs are gonna happen. He must be stopped at all costs. 

I feel like an idiot ignoring this. Now I am no longer ignoring this bullcrap. I am going to do whatever I can to stop this guy before he causes anymore damage. I cannot stand to see anymore people suffer. What's next? Changing Black History Month to All History Month? No, I am NOT having that.

If it makes you feel any better, I don't think anybody expected it would get this bad this quickly.  We're all in fear right now, but we still have the power here.  We have a chance to try to make things right.  Keep your strength up.  You're going to need it!! <3

1 minute ago, KHCast said:

Well I mean he posted his password on Twitter not that long ago...

Oh... well... oops.

• Thumbs Up 3

5 minutes ago, Merry Merry Hatsune said:

Every time I see posts like this I feel a little bit better. People are waking up and realizing this is real. A lot of people are going "I told you so" right about now but I'm just feeling relief at Trump supporters realizing they've been duped and his approval ratings dropping.

• Thumbs Up 8

2 minutes ago, Tara said:

If it makes you feel any better, I don't think anybody expected it would get this bad this quickly.  We're all in fear right now, but we still have the power here.  We have a chance to try to make things right.  Keep your strength up.  You're going to need it!! <3

Oh... well... oops.

Multiple times I should add lol. I mean this shit can't be real can it haha?

A post I found on Facebook "explaining" why this ban isn't bad. (This was in response to a friend who's concerned about his husbands visa getting revoked soon)

"The ban is temporary. The ban is only from the countries which Obama deemed to be the biggest threat. 

Bet it's not so awesome for those Americans who wake up every morning knowing their son/daughter/spouse is dead from a terrorist attack." 

I mean...holy shit the delusion. And the moral bankruptcy. "It's temporary" doesn't justify jack shit. Why something not being long term makes a thing okay, I'll never know. And just how long is temporary anyway? This could see an extension for all we know. I'm happy people jumped in response to him, but he's pretty adamant and not backing down. And Americans haven't faced massive terrorist attacks from said country's getting banned in like, forever. So those "Americans" he's referring to is probably a pretty small number 

I do not deserve any of your kindness guys. I was a Trump enabler, even though I didn't vote for him.

People here have warned me about how dangerous this guy is and I brushed it off. That's why I do not deserve any of your kindness.

In hindsight, even though my vote wouldn't have changed anything, wished I voted Clinton. The emails thing was a total fad, and I listened to my Trump friends like a person with no brains.

I just group messaged these people that if they still support Trump, I want them to keep their distance from me. Gave them a long message to why they got to stop supporting Trump, and if they still are inside their bubbles, there's nothing I can do but leave them. Maybe it will come to their senses when Trump's decisions effects them.

I just regret everything I did about this election last year. One of the most stupid decisions I made in recent years.

Just so you know that, I'm going to attend marches now. I've joined the Anti-Trump club.

Pence claims he is a Christian, but sorry. Would Jesus want this? A huge divide in our nation? You spreading hate, not love.

Gah, wished my eyes were opened up much sooner.

• Thumbs Up 7

See, I'm one of the few here just enjoying the painful kick in the ass on all sides: the DNC for being arrogant during the whole election, those that didn't vote thinking it didn't matter, those who gave up because they didn't get the candidate they wanted, and the Republicans who didn't think he'd be as bad as the Democrats said realizing they fucked up and are siding against him instead of standing by him. Next one on the list will be the more adamant Trump supporters who'll defend everything until its too late...if they even bother to realize it.

Sounds callous of me to say that, but at the same time it's sad that people really needed this shit to wake their asses up and realize what could happen in cases like this. It's too bad that this could have some serious consequences that will take a long time to fix the longer this keeps up. But at the very least, people should be on their toes this time around and not be so complacent. Hopefully they'll learn their lesson this time around.

3 minutes ago, Merry Merry Hatsune said:

I do not deserve any of your kindness guys. I was a Trump enabler, even though I didn't vote for him.

People here have warned me about how dangerous this guy is and I brushed it off. That's why I do not deserve any of your kindness.

Well there's a stark difference between being an enabler and voting for him, so that mitigates the flaws on your end.

• Thumbs Up 2

Uhhh, Germans and their culture are mocked for that historical travesty all the time. I mean, I don't think they care much because they've taken the steps to properly reconcile those horrors, but when Reinhardt in Overwatch says "100% German Power!!!" I'm sure we've all thought "Remember the last time y'all displayed 100% German power? Dial it back a bit."

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

Uhhh, Germans and their culture are mocked for that historical travesty all the time. I mean, I don't think they care much because they've taken the steps to properly reconcile those horrors, but when Reinhardt in Overwatch says "100% German Power!!!" I'm sure we've all thought "Remember the last time y'all displayed 100% German power? Dial it back a bit."

That's different from going up to an actual German and yelling at them for supporting Hitler initially (if they were bold enough to admit it), which is the parallel to withdrawn Trump support I was discussing.