Awoo.

The General 'Murican Politics Thread

Tornado

He's dodging every question and retreating to "big government is bad" talking points and limpdicked support of the President as a matter of decorum.

This is maddening.

Lol what's  the difference nep? I don't see a problem here. *rolls eyes* just heard on my radio trans bathroom rights for schools is officially gone.

27 minutes ago, -Robin- said:

16938893_640215979484783_710526632411735

CPAC looking to have interesting discussion this week.

Leviticus 19:33-34When a stranger sojourns with you in your land, you shall not do him wrong. You shall treat the stranger who sojourns with you as the native among you, and you shall love him as yourself, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.

Matthew 25:35For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me.

Deuteronomy 27:19Cursed be anyone who perverts the justice due to the sojourner, the fatherless, and the widow.’ And all the people shall say, ‘Amen.’”

Hebrews 13:2Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

Ezekiel 47:22You shall allot it as an inheritance for yourselves and for the sojourners who reside among you and have had children among you. They shall be to you as native-born children of Israel. With you they shall be allotted an inheritance among the tribes of Israel.

Jeremiah 7:5-7“For if you truly amend your ways and your deeds, if you truly execute justice one with another, if you do not oppress the sojourner, the fatherless, or the widow, or shed innocent blood in this place, and if you do not go after other gods to your own harm, then I will let you dwell in this place, in the land that I gave of old to your fathers forever.

• Thumbs Up 3

25 minutes ago, Johnny Boy said:

So much for being a president for all Americans am I right?

It's in the words really; all Americans really means "All American" which means white guys. Everyone else isn't all American and thus not part of the group. He's totally legit guis.

Spoiler

I'm being sarcastic.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm surprised people are surprised the guy that supported FADA and made anti LGBT remarks during his campaign did this. All because he SAID he wasn't against that community and held up a fucking flag. Good lord this was obvious from day one and why LGBT people were concerned.

Ya know I said that this was going to happen. I fucking told everyone that this was going to happen (not on this forum but everywhere else) but did fucking anyone believe me? Nope. You're just overreacting nintega. Trump doesn't have that kinda power, and the board/government would stop him, there's no way a law like that could be passed, but you're wrong because even if he could, Trump doesn't hate LGBTQ faggots people. 

2 hours ago, Rusty Spy said:

Leviticus 19:33-34When a stranger sojourns with you in your land, you shall not do him wrong. You shall treat the stranger who sojourns with you as the native among you, and you shall love him as yourself, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.

Boy you know you're in a pickle when gosh dang Leviticus is telling you to quit being hateful.

• Thumbs Up 4

"I think the distinction comes down to this: racism and sexism are character traits/beliefs. There not systems, not biological, and not statistical. If someone is racist, he/she believes they're better than someone else simply because of race. So yes Taylor, you're right. If someone hates someone else simply for being a white male, that is racist and sexist of that person. It stops there. Doesn't matter if more white people are in positions of power, doesn't matter if more males are employed than women in some business. I repeat: racism is PERSONAL, not systemic.

The other thing that bothers me is our society's lack of statistical analysis. When we see that more men than women are employed in a company, or if there are a lot of whites in people of power, we look no further into the issue and instantly claim racism/sexism. Nobody seems to care if there's a reason behind the way things are, we just all stop at the raw percentage and don't care about population demographics, societal impacts, personal traits, etc. It's shallow, inconclusive, and sadly counter-productive to finding the source of the problem and effecting meaningful change."

Uuuuughhhhh. I don't get how white straight men can almost by choice act blind by institutionalized discrimination and act like it's not there and if it is it's the fault of a individual not a system. This is one of the most liked responses to a comment I made. Yes, population rates should be considered, but it doesn't justify everything like economic imbalances and geographic racism, not to mention these minorities are growing in size, so that excuse can only go so far. And one person is apparently grabbing some video showing statistcs and how what I've mentioned (statistics looking at judicial, legal, educational, economic, discrimination) is false or not as bad as people make out. This also over simplifies what racism is and what it can't be.

Seriously, this attitude that "it's in minorities and special snowflakes heads" can screw off.

(also it's awesome how these guys always say it's some other problem and not racism or discrimination, but can never actually tell me what the real problem is. Unless they're trying to say these guys just are better statistically and thus why they get paid more and why they end up getting the jobs over other groups. And it's just coincidence minorities end up living in poor areas.)

CNN, the NY Times, the LA Times, Politico, the BBC and more were banned from the White House press briefing today, prompting the Associated Press and Time to boycott the event:

This is what it has come down to: Trump, a month into his presidency, utterly unable to control his own emotions or take criticism of any kind (classic narcissist), has turned the daily press briefing into an echo chamber. Whether it will remain so, and whether it will happen more and more as time goes by, remains to be seen, but even if it goes back to the old way I can't see it staying that way for the rest of his term. He still has 3 long years left of this.

18 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Sean spicer calls Trump a dictator after today's events 

https://mobile.twitter.com/DennisPerkins5/status/835223242524798978

Spicer has an audience of one during his press briefings: Trump, who, unusually for a president, watches most or all of them with rapt attention.

Those Tweets will seal his career's fate and we'll soon see a new press secretary come forth.

This is just going to make the blowback even more intense.

really can't wait to see that! :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Trump not caring about transgender students is his usual pragmatism at work. He kept LGB protections in place because that group is increasingly normalized, accepted, etc. By contrast, there's still a lot of people on the fence about transgender issues, so he was okay with scoring some political capital at their expense. As LGB people have seen a huge amount of ground gained under the Obama years, it would be a dangerous idea to reverse too much of it (gay people have the political status of both being hard to identify/suppress as well as large enough in numbers to swing close elections, like the one that got Trump into office in the first place); on the other hand, transgender people have made relatively little ground, so they were seen as a convenient target.

Meanwhile, it appears Comey is atoning for his sins in helping Trump get elected in the first place. The FBI has refused a request from the White House to come out against media statements regarding intelligence on Trump's connections to Russia. The White House claims (and anything the White House says should be downgraded to claim status) that the FBI had previously said media reports were inaccurate, but the FBI has declined to comment.

What's worrying is that this is a violation of laws that have been around for decades. The White House is not supposed to talk to the FBI about pending investigations.

• Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, Ogilvie said:

Trump not caring about transgender students is his usual pragmatism at work. He kept LGB protections in place because that group is increasingly normalized, accepted, etc. By contrast, there's still a lot of people on the fence about transgender issues, so he was okay with scoring some political capital at their expense. As LGB people have seen a huge amount of ground gained under the Obama years, it would be a dangerous idea to reverse too much of it (gay people have the political status of both being hard to identify/suppress as well as large enough in numbers to swing close elections, like the one that got Trump into office in the first place); on the other hand, transgender people have made relatively little ground, so they were seen as a convenient target.

Meanwhile, it appears Comey is atoning for his sins in helping Trump get elected in the first place. The FBI has refused a request from the White House to come out against media statements regarding intelligence on Trump's connections to Russia. The White House claims (and anything the White House says should be downgraded to claim status) that the FBI had previously said media reports were inaccurate, but the FBI has declined to comment.

What's worrying is that this is a violation of laws that have been around for decades. The White House is not supposed to talk to the FBI about pending investigations.

I still wouldn't say Trump is protecting LGB people given the policies and stances he's attempting to pass. Not to mention trans are commonly associated with LGBT so it can still be seen as an attack on the LGBT community as a whole. On top of all that, while gay people may be better treated and accepted, don't assume that means we're fine(black people still are struggling for basic equality, so I'd find it hard to believe LGBT have made leaps and bounds in comparison. Also, speaking of black people, they're a huge group, but it doesn't seem like Trump want to do everything to get on their good side. Same with Hispanics. Having a large amount of people doesn't really seem to effect Trumps care meter.) Stereotypes being normalized and unacceptence are still large concerns, economic inequality, job discrimination, heteronormative attitudes by society, the attitude and assumptions like masculine = straight and powerful feminine = weak, gay and girly, lack of encouraging open exploration of ones sexuality, biphobia and lack of education on what bisexuality even is, etc. are all problems and concerns. (Honestly, I'm on the fence even about us even being normalized, as that would imply people have no fear in coming out in any situation, and also would imply encouragement and lack of judgment from society. Which isn't the case in many areas and industries. Sports for example still has a large closet problem, usually with men. I mean when hollywood can't even get non-stereotypical portrayals of gay people commonly shown on tv and movies for example, thus enforcing people's ideas on who we are, I think it's fair to have the opinion that society isn't really normalizing us) And Trump as president and a conservative house I doubt will fix any of that, and likely end up doing more damage than good

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, KHCast said:

I still wouldn't say Trump is protecting LGB people given the policies and stances he's attempting to pass.

Trump has kept Obama's LGBT worker protections in places, doesn't care about overturning gay marriage with his nominees, etc.

He's bad on a lot of things and should absolutely be seen with skepticism, but I don't think he's planning to devote too much time to LGB rights in either direction. He's unlikely to vigorously enforce protections, which is concerning of course, but he's probably not looking for a massive repeal either.

If anything, he'd be more interested in rolling back abortion rights, which his record has so far been consistent with.

Trump's stupid on a lot of things, but I think he has enough of a grasp of political capital to know this isn't what he should cause a fight over, when even the GOP as a whole increasingly doesn't care.

Not to mention trans are commonly associated with LGBT so it can still be seen as an attack on the LGBT community as a whole.

Yes, it technically is an attack on the LGBT community as a whole due to the nature of the alliance, but let's be frank. Whether or not people can use the bathroom of their choice isn't going to affect gay people. Whether people can change the sex on their birth certificate will not affect gay people. And so on.

Plus, it's better to think of in terms besides being part of a community. If we support transgender rights on the basis of a historical alliance, we do a disservice because we are not using far superior logic that we should back them for other reasons (like the fact it really shouldn't be a big issue and it causes far more harm than good for society to be so uptight about it).

On top of all that, while gay people may be better treated and accepted, don't assume that means we're fine(black people still are struggling for basic equality, so I'd find it hard to believe LGBT have made leaps and bounds in comparison.

I never said we're fine.

I said we made a lot of progress under Obama, which we objectively did. We got rid of DOMA. We got nationwide gay marriage. We crushed people like Kim Davis beneath the boot of the courts. We got federal protection, a sitting President to endorse gay marriage, and majority approval of gay marriage.

We are doing far, far better than we were before Obama, and far, far better than transgender people, who still struggle with acceptance and a lot of ignorance as much as legal issues.

(Honestly, I'm on the fence even about us even being normalized, as that would imply people have no fear in coming out in any situation, and also would imply encouragement and lack of judgment from society. Which isn't the case in many areas and industries. Sports for example still has a large closet problem, usually with men.

It's not complete normalization, but the fact the majority of people are casual about the issue these days says it is fairly so. Even if someone doesn't support gay marriage, they're often tolerant of homosexuality.

And even if someone isn't, they tend to come around to it after a little while pondering their family member's coming out.

I mean when hollywood can't even get non-stereotypical portrayals of gay people commonly shown on tv and movies for example, thus enforcing people's ideas on who we are, I think it's fair to have the opinion that society isn't really normalizing us)

Honestly, the "Straight Gay" character seems to be rising in popularity. While the effeminate gay character is still often played for laughs, there's often a character who balances them out by being indistinguishable from heterosexual characters other than their sexuality.

Being casual I wouldn't translate to being better. It just makes it easier for people to ignore.

And I don't really see the "straight gay" role pushed much in Hollywood? Let alone as a actual important character. And when I have seen that guy, he's usually closeted or bi and still ends up with a chick,or is given not much attention or spotlight. The notable or "iconic" gay characters are usually the cliche. You never see a masculine black gay dude, or a frat bro that's gay in big notable roles. Exceptions are not the norms. This isn't even getting into the homophobia within the industry itself in which gay actors have gone on record to say is very much real. Many of these gay characters are still played more often than not by straight men.

The continuing adventures of Trumple Thinskin...

Meanwhile, Tom Perez (former Labour Secretary under Obama) is now the DNC chair, and he has named rival candidate Keith Ellison (favorite of the Sanders crowd, though Perez's left-wing credentials are excellent too) has his deputy.

Party members landed on a decision on who should be in charge of Democrats’ official party apparatus after two rounds of balloting. With 218 votes necessary to win, the final tally was 235 votes for Perez and 200 votes for Minnesota Rep. Keith Ellison.

Immediately after taking over, Perez moved to name Ellison his deputy chairman, aiming to unify a divided party.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/perez-elected-dnc-chairman-235392

The vote only moved the round two because Perez was only one vote shy of claiming victory in the first round. With Ellison as his No. 2, this is really the best result we could have hoped for - both leading candidates nabbed the two top spots and will be working together. I hope they devise a 50 state strategy, because they'll need one.

Unfortunately, purity test nutters are declaring Perez's appointment to the end of the Democrats' 2018/2020 ambitions before they've even begun. Nevermind that the DNC chair is mostly invisible and administrative and the only reason it's now in the spotlight is because DWS was so spectacularly incompetent.

Perez is a good pick, and immediately putting Ellison in the Deputy's chair was a good move. He's also said that he intends to focus on elections at all levels of government, not just the White House, which will be important for 2018 and 2020.

• Thumbs Up 1