Awoo.

The General 'Murican Politics Thread

Tornado

http://bipartisanreport.com/2018/04/29/breaking-family-of-john-mccain-tweet-heart-breaking-sunday-message-to-america/

While it feels in poor taste to raise the political connotations of personal tragedy, in a close year like this, this is a subject worth watching. John McCain was hospitalized for an intestinal infection and while his condition has been stabilized, apparently he hugged his son-in-law prior to admission and asked him to take care of McCain's daughter, indicating a strong expectation he was not going to make it.

McCain's health has been described as failing and it is very possible his seat could open up prior to November. His dramatic killing of the Obamacare repeal and focus on "regular order" was quite possibly his being self-aware that he does not have much time left and that his seat could very well end up determining the balance of power in the Senate.

If the seat opens prior to the midterms, it would be held on the same day, meaning whoever carried Arizona as a whole would likely take it as well. Odds are we would see Joe Arpaio or Kelli Ward bail from Flake's seat to try and get it, and they could possibly win it because the Democrats do not have many strong candidates in Arizona other than Sinema.

38 minutes ago, KHCast said:

So did anyone else watch the WHCD? What’re your thoughts? Seems to have cause quite the controversy 

Because nothing's more controversal than a comedian being blunt and telling jokes. Especially jokes making fun of a crappy administration.

Meanwhile, the guy who isn't a comedian but is in the White House spews racist, hateful shit all the time. And then all you hear is "it's a joke", "it's locker room talk", "he's telling it like it is", "he's honest".

Controversy? More like hypocrisy.

• Thumbs Up 3

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/30/politics/cnn-house-race-ratings-dozen-seats-more-competitive/index.html

12 more House seats have been moved towards the Democrats, though still favoring the GOP for winning.

In total, there are 93 competitive House seats, with 57 of them being really competitive. With so many Democrat-leaning seats being occupied by Republicans, the Democrats' chances of retaking the House majority continue to increase.

• Thumbs Up 2

Boom. Truth bomb. Get uncomfortable gop. Also notice how the other comedians, who were male, who roasted/joked about other people didn’t get called out. If Michelle never brought up Sarah, would she still be getting shit? Probably I bet. Cause for some reason this idea that women joking isn’t funny and only men can do it, actually prevails in large portions of American society...

Thankfully not in the majority though.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/01/politics/daca-lawsuit-challenge-texas/index.html

7 states are suing for an end to DACA, complicating the issue even further.

They're arguing on the constitutionality of DACA, and this is where they would fall flat: the Supreme Court already previously upheld DACA's constitutionality, though they broke with Obama on the procedure of expanding the program. Huge difference. Compare how a lot of judges have said Trump has the authority to end DACA, but his way of doing so is what violates the Constitution.

Either way, we're likely to see a Supreme Court ruling on the matter. Fingers crossed the ruling gets pushed out past January, which would allow Democrats a chance to take the Senate and replace Kennedy with a liberal. Here's hoping if Schumer becomes Majority Leader he pulls McConnell on steroids: not considering any of Trump's conservative picks if they're nominated to replace a liberal justice.

The smartest thing Trump could do is nominate Merrick Garland to make up for McConnell's misdeeds, but we'll see if he's that strategic.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2018/05/01/president-trump-has-made-3001-false-or-misleading-claims-so-far/?utm_term=.ab75480a4860

On average Trump says 6.5 statements a day that are either false or misleading. This breaks down a lot of the big ones he's made.

If Michelle never brought up Sarah, would she still be getting shit? Probably I bet. Cause for some reason this idea that women joking isn’t funny and only men can do it, actually prevails in large portions of American society...

The fact that Wolf is a woman seems pretty immaterial to her unloading both barrels at most of the staff of the most self-important president in US history. Now, granted, if the administration wanted to be circle-jerked by the comedians they probably shouldn't have booked a former writer from the emaciated shell they still call The Daily Show.

From the excerpts I've heard it sounds like her set was terrible in general, like she spent her whole act running on a bad impersonation of Norm MacDonald; but it's revisionist at best to act like the Bush administration's similar blatant lack of research in 2006 went over swimmingly.

2 hours ago, Tornado said:

emaciated shell they still call The Daily Show.

I still think the DS is fine still, but ok.

It’s one thing to criticize the humor and not find it well thought out, that’s one thing. (Though Michelle’s humor typically has landed in her prior work to me, and while I laughed at a few things here, it definitely was shakey and awkward.) To claim morality and act as if she’s done murder to a baby because she jokes about Saunders is another completely different situation, and is the main thing people are calling republicans out on as the party is both led by and full of insensitivity.(trump supporters being hypocritical? Shocker)

and hassan from what I recall made jokes regarding trump, and he got a pass. And women do in many areas(usually deep red states) still face discrimination regarding humor, as if they can’t receive the same level of praise for jokes unless it’s about their lady parts. Look at Samantha bee. I think she does excellent political jokes/satire, but go on the comments and you’ll see tons of people calling her nasty and saying “how dare you” when guys like Trevor, Jon stewert, Oliver, etc. do and say essentially the same thing. So yeah I still ask if she’d still be in this much hot water for doing what other political male comedians have done if she didn’t bring up Saunders. Cause if they’re just bad jokes, people should just be able to move on. 

2 hours ago, KHCast said:

So yeah I still ask if she’d still be in this much hot water for doing what other political male comedians have done if she didn’t bring up Saunders.

And I refer again to what happened in 2006, because it wasn't terribly dissimilar. People in the Press Corp at the time said it bombed out and said he wouldn't be invited back; and the reports were that most of the people in the administration itself were absolutely furious while it was going on. Rude and a bully. The president of the United States deserves more respect. Generic Bush-bashing. Unfunny and over the line. Over the line and inappropriate. Media outlets buried the fact that the set had ever happened even though it was the featured event. The only person who even responded to it in person when it was finished beyond shunned and disapproving silence was Scalia; who was also apparently the only one in the room who dared to laugh.

People in the Trump administration overreacting publicly and its sycophants following in lockstep should not be news in and of itself, since that's what happens every time Trump whines about something that personally insults his sensibilities (see: Football players kneeling during the national anthem, basketball players not wanting to go to the White House, people who like plays?).

2 hours ago, KHCast said:

and hassan from what I recall made jokes regarding trump, and he got a pass.

Did he go out on stage, rip into the administration and most of its players with the majority of the set (sometimes without actually setting up a joke in the process) and then leave? Because as far as I can tell from what is being talked about, that was Wolf's set; and that's different from "made jokes" when the tallest weed is the one that is going to get cut down first.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/02/politics/mike-pence-joe-arpiao/

Pence has endorsed Arpaio for Arizona's Senate seat.

Arpaio is in last place currently, but given Pence's popularity with GOP primary voters, the endorsement could give Arpaio a shot at the nomination.

Polling shows that Arpaio is the worst candidate the GOP could nominate, as he would be utterly crushed by the Democrats' presumptive nominee, Kyrsten Sinema. She leads the presumptive GOP nominee McSally 48-42, insurgent Kelli Ward 50-40, and Arpaio 59-33.

Maybe Pence is actually hoping for a 50-50 Senate so he would increase his own relevance in the Senate? It seems kind of strange to endorse Arpaio after the disaster that happened in Alabama.

Wow. Every time I think the GOP can’t get lower, they fucking find a way to do it. Fucking Arpaio? I’m lost for words....

https://www.themaven.net/theintellectualist/news/team-trump-and-russia-were-in-contact-70-times-during-the-campaign-transition-dcIUx4UKC0yQ0BEkH7TGvQ/?full=1

Well that’s certainly concerning, but apparently not illegal, so it’s already being written off and justified.

Also apparently from what I’m being told, there’s an lgbt proposal being looked at in California and people are going crazy cause it would take away people’s religious rights? Can anyone verify this? Apparently has something to do with people not being allowed to practice attempts at changing people’s sexuality, mannerisms, behavior, etc.(not conversion therapy apparently, or at least as extreme and brutal, but something along those lines.)

http://www.courant.com/politics/hc-pol-house-debate-national-popular-vote-20180425-story.html

The Connecticut House has passed the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact 77-73.

It now moves to the Senate, which is equally split and has a Democratic Lieutenant Governor for a tiebreaker.

The NPVIC is an agreement between states to give their electoral votes to whoever wins the popular vote, but only goes into effect when the signing states have 270 votes (a majority of the Electoral College); currently, 165 electoral votes are represented. Connecticut would add 7, while Oregon, another state looking into passing the Compact, would also add 7.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/13/us/california-closer-to-split-into-three-states-trnd/index.html

Meanwhile, the Democratic majority, if it materializes, may have an interesting issue to vote on: letting California split into three states.

The ballot initiative has gained far more signatures than it needs, the state just needs to verify them.

If the split passes, analysts predict two of the states will be blue and one red, with the net result being Democrats increase their influence in the House, Senate, and Electoral College.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/3/2018 at 3:05 AM, Bergamo (Ogilvie) said:

Pence has endorsed Arpaio for Arizona's Senate seat.

Arpaio is in last place currently, but given Pence's popularity with GOP primary voters, the endorsement could give Arpaio a shot at the nomination.

I continue to question how the GOP gets away with so much.

If a party was literally just a sack of shit, it would be more appealing than the GOP.

6 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

I continue to question how the GOP gets away with so much.

If a party was literally just a sack of shit, it would be more appealing than the GOP.

They keep getting away with it because at least half of this godforsaken country is filled with assholes who care more about hurting groups of people for daring to exist/try to be above their positions in life according to the right wing hierarchy than actually having any true morality or even just simply avoiding being taken advantage of by the corrupt elite pulling their strings.

2 hours ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

They keep getting away with it because at least half of this godforsaken country is filled with assholes who care more about hurting groups of people for daring to exist/try to be above their positions in life according to the right wing hierarchy than actually having any true morality or even just simply avoiding being taken advantage of by the corrupt elite pulling their strings.

Actually, it's not even half.

Most Americans are fairly moderate but politically inactive, with large minorities actively participating in politics. They are the ones who go to primaries and who turn out on Election Day or early vote, so they are the people that ultimately make each Party's policy.

A small portion of the population deciding who gets to run on the GOP ticket (with registered Republicans and the occasional moderate opting to support them for whatever reason in the general) is why we get insanity like calling for overturning Roe v. Wade when eighty percent of the population feels there is a right to an abortion in the first trimester. Conversely, despite huge mass opposition to late term abortions, you will see a lot of Democrats pushing for an extremely pro-choice policy.

The problem isn't so much the GOP or the Democrats so much as the large masses of people who don't really make their opinion known where it counts the most: the primaries.

1 minute ago, Bergamo (Ogilvie) said:

Actually, it's not even half.

Most Americans are fairly moderate but politically inactive, with large minorities actively participating in politics. They are the ones who go to primaries and who turn out on Election Day or early vote, so they are the people that ultimately make each Party's policy.

A small portion of the population deciding who gets to run on the GOP ticket (with registered Republicans and the occasional moderate opting to support them for whatever reason in the general) is why we get insanity like calling for overturning Roe v. Wade when eighty percent of the population feels there is a right to an abortion in the first trimester.

It sure feels like half with how toxic the GOP are...

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/05/07/609060190/connecticut-oks-bill-pledging-electoral-votes-to-national-popular-vote-winner

And with that, the USA grows one step closer to being a modern democracy. Connecticut's Senate has passed the bill to tie Connecticut's electoral votes to the winner of the popular vote 21-14, and the Governor will be signing it shortly.

Still no word on Oregon's popular vote measure, which is planned to go to a ballot initiative at some point, but the NPVIC came close to passing in several red states in recent years, only narrowly failing in committees or in one legislative chamber. If Democrats increase their share of legislative seats nationwide this year, there is a real chance the popular vote will be adopted in a lot more states, even purple or red ones.

• Thumbs Up 3

Out of curiosity, what's the smallest number of states that would have to sign for the 100 or so electoral votes needed for the compact to take effect?

13 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

Out of curiosity, what's the smallest number of states that would have to sign for the 100 or so electoral votes needed for the compact to take effect?

With 172 electoral votes behind it, that's 98.

Texas and Florida count for 67, while Michigan and Virginia have 29. With 96 between those 4 and Oregon (7 votes) likely to pass it, that's 5 states needed to put it into effect.

Of course, Texas and Florida are hard sells, though the competitiveness of this year's races raises the specter Dems could increase their numbers enough in both states to pass it: Oklahoma and Arizona have previously passed it in one chamber despite being GOP-controlled, so it's not that swing or red states will necessarily vote it down. Democrats are more likely to back the NPVIC than Republicans, however, so it's always a boon when GOP majorities are either replaced or shrunken.

Considering 2 elections in 16 years have been won by someone who did not win the popular vote, and with Trump's win far more lopsided than Bush's, it's a salient issue. Particularly since Republican strategists know they need to court a wider base sooner or later, and the national popular vote would kick that into action as they would suddenly have large bases in blue states and even red states to tap into.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/08/world/middleeast/trump-iran-nuclear-deal.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

And the Iran deal is officially toast.

Every other country involved said this was a stupid move on our part.

I'm sure the USA is the only woke country in the whole arrangement though, at least as far as Trump's base is concerned.

Sounds like one of Trump's motives with this was to shore up chances of success in Korea.

He is so desperate to score a major foreign policy win he decided to tear up someone else's. What a joke.

Thus why I've been planning on getting out of this country once I complete my degree as I want no part in being conscripted into his army of insanity.