Awoo.

The General 'Murican Politics Thread

Tornado

It's like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

Except we're all on the train.

And some of the passengers think the train isn't crashing at all.

And the conductor and cabin crew are crying about the passengers disapproving of the train wreck.

• Thumbs Up 8

3 minutes ago, Johnny Boy said:

So in only a few days as President, Trump has:

1. Screwed over the tribe at Standing Rock.

2. Doubled down on Alternative Facts in addition to spewing the "illegal votes" bullshit again.

3. Banned National parks from any social media presence all over a bruised ego.

4. And now he's risking war with China.

Jesus, 2020 can't come soon enough. 

How is he not a by the numbers stereotypical "bad guy" again?

• Thumbs Up 1

The hole goes deeper... http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/cdc-cancels-conference-climate-change-health-n711076

he government's top public health agency has canceled a conference next month on climate change and health but isn't saying why publicly. 

But a co-sponsor was told by the Centers for Disease and Prevention that the agency was worried how the conference would be viewed by the Trump administration.

The incoming administration did not ask or order that the meeting be canceled, said Dr. Georges Benjamin, executive director of the American Public Health Association. 

"They had no idea whether the new administration would be supportive," said Benjamin, whose group was a co-sponsor of the event with the CDC.

Rather, the decision was "a strategic retreat," intended to head off a possible last minute cancellation or other repercussions from Trump officials who may prove hostile to spending money on climate change science, Benjamin said Monday.

"They decided the better part of valor was to stop and regroup" until it could be discussed with Trump's new health leadership, Benjamin said. A new CDC director has not been named.

Fringe-S3x12-Outlook-not-so-good.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd ideally like this to end in Trump either getting impeached to stop him from possibly destroying everything with his incompetence, or Trump being assassinated by whoever can first get their resources together at some point in the next six months. I know people cringe at the thought of Pence being in charge, but at least he isn't a raving lunatic who might get everyone (and I mean this globally) killed.

Taking bets now: you think he'll be impeached or killed?

19 minutes ago, Apollo Chungus said:

I'd ideally like this to end in Trump either getting impeached to stop him from possibly destroying everything with his incompetence, or Trump being assassinated by whoever can first get their resources together at some point in the next six months. I know people cringe at the thought of Pence being in charge, but at least he isn't a raving lunatic who might get everyone (and I mean this globally) killed.

I'd much rather him be impeached. He's a nutcase, but I certainly don't want him dead.

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Apollo Chungus said:

He would most likely be impeached because of how much smoke there is to the Russian ties plus many intellingence communities from around the world are investigating this conspiracy. If he was assasinated then he would become a martyr for the alt-right and that will only fuel more hatred towards the left in this country. If someone was to actually assassinate him, then the assassin would have to kill the rest of his cabinet because they would still be for all of those horrible legislations that they passed and thus nothing would change for the better.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, Apollo Chungus said:

I may encourage violent methods when they seem necessary to peaceful ones, but killing the president will always be a terrible idea.

The US is already polarized as it is, assassinating the president will just make things even worse because it might just make him a martyr to his more insane crowd among other things. And that's the last thing we want to happen.

• Thumbs Up 7

1 hour ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

I may encourage violent methods when they seem necessary to peaceful ones, but killing the president will always be a terrible idea.

The US is already polarized as it is, assassinating the president will just make things even worse because it might just make him a martyr to his more insane crowd. And that's the last thing we want to happen.

The best thing that we can do as of now is to criticize, protest, and SPEAK UP against him and his adminstration because they are orwellian as fuck judging from their White House Briefings, silencing other gov.agencies from speaking out, and their legislation.

On another note, this is the first time Trump has had to deal with this kind of stress and pressure. If we and the Press keep on criticizing him then we might see Donald crack and leave due to pressure and low approval rating. That alone would disenfranchise his supporters and deliver a blow to the alt-right which would be better in the long run as it would strengthen the democrats' position for the 2018/20 elections.

Edited by AxelPrime
  • Thumbs Up 8

I really think it's a good idea no one here discuss any harm coming to him. The Secret Service takes that shit seriously. Never mind the fact we protect Ken Penders from such discussion, so I think one of the world's most powerful leaders merits it as well (even though pretty much everyone hates Trump).

Regarding impeachment, I think it's a possibility. Provided the GOP isn't worried they'd miss out on votes in 2018/2020, he can always be tossed out of office for the more predictable, more cooperative Pence. I presume they're going to wait a while before that happens; they want to be sure to not alienate too many people when they do it.

In the event he isn't impeached, however, there's still another wildcard: the possibility of a rebellion within the GOP that costs Trump the nomination. The current frontrunner? Pence, at 22% to Trump's 13%. Paul Ryan stands at a more modest 12%. There's a message here: if a Republican mounts a serious campaign against Trump, it's quite possible lightning won't strike twice. Reagan came close to toppling Ford in the 1976 primaries before running again in 1980; he handily won 1980 due to his name recognition from 1976, so let's note that any Republican eager to build future Presidential chances will probably run against Trump. They may not win 2020, but they'd have a shot in 2024 or 2028.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/white-house-doubles-down-trump-s-debunked-illegal-voter-claim-n711526

And now, Sean Spicer is also putting the voter fraud claim out there. The reporter is clearly having trouble not just lashing out at him.

She pointed out how Paul Ryan (Paul freaking Ryan, head of the House GOP) and Secretaries of State nationwide both find there to be no evidence of massive voter fraud; Spicer sticks to two studies with questionable authority. When asked about if Trump would investigate the issue, Spicer smugly defaulted to the comfortable Electoral College win, only for the reporter to point out the popular vote must be causing Trump distress if he keeps bringing it up. He also keeps saying that it's Trump's personal belief, even when confronted with the fact that practically no one actually running elections - Democrat or Republican - finds evidence of it.

We also have quantified how long Trump talked about illegal votes at the lawmaker meeting: 10 minutes. Ten minutes pulling things out of his ass because he can't fathom the idea of losing at anything. It's gotten to a point where Republicans like Lindsey Graham are flat out saying he needs to stop talking about it if he doesn't have really good evidence, given he's the President now and not a candidate.

Senators like Bernie Sanders, meanwhile, are saying that statistic needs to be fought, because it could be used to legitimize voter suppression nationwide.

Mitch McConnell, a true Republican, remained quiet on the exact number, but argued that liberals are wrong when they assert voter fraud is a myth.

A part of me does believe Trump is doing this on purpose, however, so the media focuses on it rather than the sinister things he's rolling out. His stupidity may in fact be a veil for evil genius.

• Thumbs Up 4

14 hours ago, Patticus said:

Chronic Narcissistic Personality Disorder, now ensconced in the White House. I wonder what he's going to be like in a year or two, when his policies begin to have measurable impacts - not all good? Are they going to send Kellyanne back on TV to lie a little, make folks mad and push the real news out of the news cycle, as her Alternative Facts drove the Womens' March protests off?

When things go sour, they'll scapegoat, and they'll fly right in the fact of facts if they have to. They'll shuck the blame onto the previous administration while taking credit for the positive longterm effects Obama's presidency sowed. When they can't, they'll fabricate whatever truth absolves them of blame, and the dimwits who latch onto Trump's so-called truth will eat it up and dismiss any contrary information as "fake news."

edit: Also holy hell he's still less than a week in and his administration has been a total clusterfuck. His own party is telling him to shut his trap about the election results for chrissake. And yeah sure, shooting down TPP is a positive, but let's be real, that was going to get shot down no matter what. It's not exactly some big bold stance he's taking there or anything.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/01/24/for-a-few-hours-badlands-national-parks-was-bad-to-the-bone-in-defiance-of-trump/?utm_term=.9d04f5e0f82e

Lower level federal employees are fighting back. The Badlands National Park briefly went rogue, making plenty of Tweets in evidence of climate change. They've since been pulled, but Trump is desperately trying to silence all internal opposition within the government.

It's not working.

I get the feeling this administration is going to hemorrhage whistleblowers.

• Thumbs Up 3

39 minutes ago, Noelgilvie said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/01/24/for-a-few-hours-badlands-national-parks-was-bad-to-the-bone-in-defiance-of-trump/?utm_term=.9d04f5e0f82e

Lower level federal employees are fighting back. The Badlands National Park briefly went rogue, making plenty of Tweets in evidence of climate change. They've since been pulled, but Trump is desperately trying to silence all internal opposition within the government.

It's not working.

Keep those whistles blowing is all I have to say. That way we'll know how dire the whole situation is overthere.

In others news...

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/61415760238042f2ad7bc38acc2f468c/trumps-bridge-building-eclipsed-false-voter-fraud-claim?utm_source=nl-politics-daily-012417

After relishing in Friday's inaugural festivities, the new president grew increasingly upset the next day by what he felt was "biased" media coverage of women's marches across the globe protesting his election, according to a person familiar with his thinking. Trump was particularly enraged with CNN, which he thought was "gloating" by continually running photos of the women's march alongside the smaller crowds that attended his inauguration the day before, according to this person, one of several White House aides and associates who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about private conversations.

Trump has had a tumultuous relationship with the press, frequently calling the media dishonest and insulting individual reporters by name at his rallies and on Twitter. Still, two people close to Trump said he expected his coverage to turn more favorable once he took office. Instead, he's told people he believes it's gotten worse.

The bad press over the weekend has not allowed Trump to "enjoy" the White House as he feels he deserves, according to one person who has spoken with him.

Guys... I think it's working.

Lets keep up the pressure up especially with News Reporters and Outlets.

• Thumbs Up 2

If Trump honestly believed that he would get to ~enjoy~ the White House and not fall under tighter scrutiny by the media, then he's dumber than he looks.

EDIT:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-epa-climatechange-idUSKBN15906G?feedType=RSS&feedName=domesticNews&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter

Apologies if this has been posted before. EPA is being forced to cut information regarding climate change from their webpage.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Noelgilvie said:

The odds are very, very good that what you say will come to pass.

It's worth noting that, even though Trump has to fill 4,000 mid-level-and-up government jobs, he doesn't have 4,000 family members and well-paid lackeys to tow the party line across all levels of every department. More than likely, most of those posts are going to be filled by GOP regulars, many of whom may be inclined to leak, blow whistles or cultivate relationships with the free press on the sly. And if we've learned anything from the last year or so, it's that deep and cavernous divisions run within the Republican party, which are going to surface (even widen) periodically during Trump's term, likely revealed or exacerbated by Republican insiders with different views and agendas to their Crybaby-in-Chief.

Even the American intelligence community, which Trump routinely throws contempt at, is likely to hemorrhage leaks - they have been given no respect, and owe him none in return. I know they really didn't like Mrs. Clinton much either, but those who are familiar with Steele's Trump report, and his sterling record, are probably not going to want to keep quiet about Trump - especially if they feel like they're being prevented from doing their jobs by one of his lapdogs. At the CIA, I bet they've been working feverishly to save what intelligence they have on Trump before Pompeo has their files purged of it.

• Thumbs Up 2

So this is turning out to be a clusterfuck.

I know this isn't exactly the best situation given what's going on, but is anyone else other than me looking at all this mess and potential infighting and feeling a bit like this:

FamilyGuy-Good20Good.gif

I mean, the effects are definitely gonna be terrible, but I can't help but grin at the misfortune that's going on with Trump.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

So this is turning out to be a clusterfuck.

I know this isn't exactly the best situation given what's going on, but is anyone else other than me looking at all this mess and potential infighting and feeling a bit like this:

FamilyGuy-Good20Good.gif

I mean, the effects are definitely gonna be terrible, but I can't help but grin at the misfortune that's going on with Trump.

Oh, totally.

Trump may just utterly destroy the GOP brand for some time to come, and force a shift of the Party leftward as they struggle to shirk off the guilt by association with Trump's ideas.

President Hoover was legitimately trying to fix the Great Depression, but it just wasn't enough (and yet, he'd go on to criticize FDR's programs as too big, which only hurt the Republicans more due to how popular the New Deal was), and the resulting image of him as an ineffective President paved the way for decades of New Deal dominance. Trump doesn't even have Hoover's experience and background (Hoover was also a businessman, but he combined it with a reputation for efficiency and nearly a decade of Executive Branch service), so I can only imagine the opportunity here. The general sentiment seems so vested in comparing Trump to Hitler that it forgets he's more comparable to Hoover or Carter, which would make him quite useful for the Democrats; both of those one-term Presidents laid the foundation for a huge empowerment of the opposition.

A lot of American conservative ideology struggles to separate a part from the whole (see: wanting more oversight of police departments to weed out bad cops means you hate all cops; wanting to reconsider the death penalty means you're soft on crime; wanting to revise voter ID laws means you support widespread fraud, etc.), which means they're going to be left fairly tarnished. Trump, as awful as his ideas will be if implemented, may just finally bankrupt them, forcing the GOP to do as much soul-searching as the Democrats.

4 hours ago, Patticus said:

At the CIA, I bet they've been working feverishly to save what intelligence they have on Trump before Pompeo has their files purged of it.

If word gets out that he's purging files on himself, I wouldn't be surprised if that becomes his Watergate.

All of Obama's scandals can't hold a candle to an abuse of power to increase one's odds of re-election.

• Thumbs Up 5

4 hours ago, Noelgilvie said:

If word gets out that he's purging files on himself, I wouldn't be surprised if that becomes his Watergate.

All of Obama's scandals can't hold a candle to an abuse of power to increase one's odds of re-election.

It would be in character though, wouldn't it? I mean, hell, if I were elected to the presidency, and I were as controversial as Trump, I'd definitely want to know what my own intelligence community has on me (and I'm not even very narcissistic) and then, depending on what they've got, I might even want some or all of it erased - even if I'm not seeking re-election. Good thing I'm never going to be president, eh? ;) 

Given that they track and keep files on every major political and business leader, they'll have a Trump file, and he has special access to whatever information he wants now - and if it displeases him, I imagine he might tell Pompeo to scrub it. Pompeo can't refuse, because to Trump, a "no" is a clear and overt betrayal, a sign of terrible disloyalty that he cannot let stand, and Pompeo's job would be forfeit.

Expect him to use intelligence on political and business rivals in ways past presidents haven't, at the very least - the bully pulpit is about to really earn its name. He'll also have early access to market-shifting economic data, which he will probably let his kids and business buddies in on, depending on the content and ramifications.

• Thumbs Up 2

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/01/17/richard_spencer_launches_the_alt_right_s_newest_website.html

Alt-right leaders like Richard Spencer are trying to create a one-stop shop website for alt-right ideas and supporters, so people affiliated with it and trying to find out about it have a single source to go to.

That sounds bad, but here's the hilarious part: in trying to centralize the alt-right, they've exposed it's not as unified as originally thought. A lot of people on board with this site, for example, have a hatred of Milo, viewing him as an opportunist, and they made their fair share of homophobic remarks about him.

Now, given Milo is a hero to a lot of alt-right people... think about that for a second. Homosexuality isn't a deal breaker for at least some sizable portion of the alt-right. They're basically undergoing a split similar to what Fascism and Nazism went through, where Nazism became so extreme even mainstream fascists did not approve (e.g. many fascist Italians broke with Hitler on anti-Semitism; they argued Italian Jews were Italians too). Now, the alt-right as a whole is pretty shitty of course, but we're seeing that even within their ranks, there are "moderates" and extremists.

Note, for example, how while a good deal of the alt-right tries to hide its strong racist strands, one of the writers for the new alt-right website has authored articles posturing whether or not black genocide would be right or wrong. Then again, this isn't too surprising: a lot of Nazi sympathizers might have had anti-Semitic sentiments, but they might not have believed in genocide.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/thank-you-trump-twitter-rally_us_58884c75e4b0441a8f71db38?

Then there's this hilarious backfire. Some Trump backers started a "Thank You Trump" hashtag for legitimate praise of him. ...it was soon pounced on by his opponents, and it's largely become a protest hashtag with a far more serious tone than the "Thanks Obama" meme.

Hey, they tried. Not their fault they didn't foresee Trump has more critics than fans. I'll grab the participation trophies.

While I'm here, I'd like to say "liberal tears" is actually a really hilarious thing for the right to enjoy. Why? Because angry people are more likely to turn out and vote. Suddenly "liberal tears" don't seem so fun when you ponder they are the foundation of conservative defeat.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/12/27/nazis-vs-trumpkins-the-prom-tearing-apart-the-alt-right.html

Oh God.

This... this was part of something bigger. The alt-right leadership quickly split in the wake of Trump's victory. I guess it's just an inevitable part of no longer being a unified opposition. The moderate Trump supporters and the far less vicious alt-right people are working to disown the Neo-Nazi types.

• Thumbs Up 5

Someone's desperate to calm his fevered mind about his own legitimacy as president.

Inside the post-investigation briefing...

DoJ: "Sir, the results are in. There were only 27 counts of voter fraud, and none of them had a chance to change even local results, let alone state or national."
Trump: "So you're saying there was massive voter fraud, like millions of illegals voting?"
DoJ: "No, no, quite the opposite, this was quite a normal election actually. No illegals were even involved in the fraud cases we turned up."
Trump: "So there was massive voter fraud, with millions of illegals voting illegally?"
DoJ: "No sir"
Trump: "But you just said there was."
Etcetera.

• Thumbs Up 2

They'll find nothing, but they'll absolutely find a way to spin it, bringing down more voter restrictions that directly impact minority voters. The end goal is just to create a system that plays more favorably to the GOP.

After that's said and done they'll probably tie a damsel to some train tracks or something, because that's the level of overt villainy they seem to be operating on these days.

I apologize for making that post regarding the whole Trump assassination thing. I was in a shitty mood that day and I'd be thinking about saying something like that for some time, but I know that won't be much excuse considering that mood lead me to half-jokingly wonder whether a man actually will die or not.

Honestly, I don't want Trump getting killed or brutally injured. As much of an idiot he is, he deserves better than that. We all do, really.

• Thumbs Up 3

No, of course I would never wish death or assasination on our new CEO Mr. Trump

What I DO wish for is when the shit finally hits the fan and he can't escape from all of his law and constitutional breaking as well as harming every American through his EOs, I hope his ass gets comfortable in Jail and he rots in it for the rest of his miserable subhuman life. 

• Thumbs Up 3

36 minutes ago, PSI Wind said:

No, of course I would never wish death or assasination on our new CEO Mr. Trump.

What I DO wish for is when the shit finally hits the fan and he can't escape from all of his law and constitutional breaking as well as harming every American through his EOs, I hope his ass gets comfortable in Jail and he rots in it for the rest of his miserable subhuman life. 

What'll probably happen is he and his band of merry men will try to seek asylum in Russia and leave the mess to us to deal with all the while trumpeting about the "evil democrats" and how they drove out the rightful kings of America. Because Karma loves to leave the rich and powerful alone and screw over everyone else.

Though that's not to say I don't hope the scenario you mention is the one that actually occurs...