Awoo.

The General 'Murican Politics Thread

Tornado

48 minutes ago, Treacher said:

You wrote in Doom Guy? From what I see in Florida, the dems have flipped at least one seat and held on to those unopposed, but otherwise it's looking pretty "rosy" there. Veritas might have dealt a light finishing blow in the race for Governor.

Well its cause the person running i had no idea who it was r. and it rather not vote for someone i know noting about. If i even knew the name maybe but sadly i did not know them so i just put doom guy

Joe Manchin has won his race in West Virginia, and Marsha Blackburn, who ran a blatantly racist attack ad involving the migrant caravan, has also won in Tennessee.

To say this evening is an emotional roller-coaster would be a terrific understatement.

1 minute ago, Meta77 said:

Well its cause the person running i had no idea who it was r. and it rather not vote for someone i know noting about. If i even knew the name maybe but sadly i did not know them so i just put doom guy

I got you. You'd have to call some of these candidates because their positions aren't too transparent otherwise.

Florida's in a dead heat. 98% of the vote is in with the GOP being 1% ahead for the Governorship. However, the areas that have not been counted have a slight blue lean it appears. This is crazy.

1 minute ago, Jiren (Metro) said:

How are things looking for the House so far?

Dems have some gains, but nothing eyepopping.

It is quite possible they will fall just short of a majority.

2 minutes ago, Treacher said:

https://twitter.com/Breaking911

Take a look at that poll. An omen?

Given the amount of labor that goes into constructing actual polls, while that takes just a few keystrokes?

No way in Hell. :P

(Never mind the evidence that follower base is slanted GOP)

Just now, Coyote (Ogilvie) said:

Given the amount of labor that goes into constructing actual polls, while that takes just a few keystrokes?

No way in Hell. :P

I don't put too much stock in to any polls after 2016. Apparently Nate Silver has been revising his predictions and the NYT "aren't confident" in showing off theirs just yet.

1 minute ago, Treacher said:

I don't put too much stock in to any polls after 2016. Apparently Nate Silver has been revising his predictions and the NYT "aren't confident" in showing off theirs just yet.

Do you never check the weather because sometimes it's wrong?

Polling is a science. It is entirely about making predictions. This is why the margin of error is there. They can only get it so right because of the number of variables involved.

Plus, let's think here. Clinton would have won had we been using the same electoral system as any other country. She only lost because of a system cooked up to protect the interests of people who thought they had the right to own other human beings.

• Thumbs Up 3

Silver felt his model was too aggressive and reverted it to a more conservative one for the time being.

Let's again remind ourselves that the polls in the final week of 2016's election had Trump within the margin of error for winning, and any premature Clinton win predictions were by people and outlets ignoring that fact.

Edit: While we await the results of the Cruz/O'Rourke bout (plenty of blue areas are yet to report), good news from New York!

• Thumbs Up 2

The Dems and GOP are tied in House results, at 98 each. There are still 239 seats to go.

The odds of a Dem House are looking good, even as it looks like red state Dems are about to be annihilated.

What is a 'Latinx'? Sounds like a Pokemon...

Mitt Romney projected to win his race. Never thought I'd be glad to see his ugly mug... The new John McCain?

North Dakota results will begin coming in shortly. Heidi Heitkamp's gotta be a nervous wreck tonight...

27 minutes ago, Patticus said:

What is a 'Latinx'? Sounds like a Pokemon...

A gender-neutral term for those of Latin ethnicity. The latin languages tend to differentiate things as masculine or feminine—the reason why Latin(o) refers to men while Latin(a) refers to women. Latin(x) doesn’t distinguish either one specifically.

It has nuances, but I figured I clear that up.

As far as Texas goes, I’d hate to dash hopes but it seems like Cruz will maintain his hood. I could be wrong, but it’s still looking red.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Jiren (Metro) said:

I'm hearing from some people that Democrats just won the House, is that true?

News is predicting/projecting that the Dems will take the house, I don't see them outright saying that they won.

However Republicans retain control of the Senate. 

I hear it's neck and neck in Florida.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/legislature-results-2018

The Michigan state legislature is a tight race. Right now it's looking evenly split!

The current GOP majority leader is refusing to hold a vote on the National Popular Vote Compact, even though it's supported by both parties. If the GOP loses control of the Michigan House, it is possible Michigan will join it.

If Michigan passes it, empowered Democrats nationwide may try to pass similar measures. It's entirely possible that 2020 will be the first race decided by popular vote.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's close to even now in the House. I have to admit it'd be boring if it weren't. Michigan goes pro-weed. Alabama and West Virginia pro-life it seems.

2 minutes ago, Jiren (Metro) said:

How much longer before we know who has control of the House?

A few hours, possibly. But Dems are up to 188 seats and the GOP 172. Most of the remaining seats are in blue-leaning areas, so short of serious shenanigans, the Democrats will take the House.

• Thumbs Up 2