Tornado

The General 'Murican Politics Thread

The emphasis on the looting honestly distracts from the way precincts are being systematically targeted; in some cases the armories have actually been raided and the weapons distributed. These aren't your typical protests and riots. This is storming the Bastille.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/410/cpsprodpb/7DAD/production/_111437123_usjoblessclaim-nc.png

Perhaps the comparisons to Weimar Germany aren't entirely off. We have record unemployment. COVID-19 has torn the fabric of life apart and created large numbers of people with nothing to lose.

And as "liberal" mayors and governors largely close ranks around the police, we're quickly seeing both major parties losing legitimacy.

This is going to be an ugly Summer. Amazing how a few days ago the news of the day was the fact the Democratic Presidential candidate shat himself on a livestream.

Also, here's my problem with this "We have to beat Trump or else fascism" take, forgive me being late to the party.

This assumes that the moment Trump is gone, we will snap back to normal. I highly doubt it. He changed the Overton Window the same way Sanders did. The next Republican nominee is likely going to be as openly a piece of shit as Trump is.

So that's why I don't buy the "we must vote Biden to stop him" narrative. Because guess what? As soon as he's out, the next Republican will peddle the same bullshit, attract the same base, inflict the same cruelty.

And the Democrats will peddle the same bullshit as well, saying they don't need to stand for anything because they're "so much better" than the monster the Republican Party puts before us.

The left in this country is fed up. We want politicians who we vote for based on who they are, not who they aren't.

Yes, it is a privileged position to do this, because the Democratic politicians don't do as much damage as the Republicans. But in rational choice, there is this concept called a "time horizon." Part of being privileged is you can have a longer one. You can afford to take a loss now to try and secure a gain down the line.

And I want a Party that's actually promising to tear this socioeconomic system apart. We are the wealthiest country on Earth. There is no reason to have homelessness, starvation, and crippling medical and student debt. There is no reason Jeff Bezos should be the richest man on Earth yet guilt us into funding his employees' health plans, or his contractor's tips, while his rich Lex Luthor knockoff ass robs our society blind by using the USPS to avoid giving his employees benefits.

Your typical Democrat makes things a little more tolerable, absolutely. But a few more minorities in power, a few more body cameras on cops, a few less children in cages... it's not really solving the underlying problem now is it?

Now, what I do think we should all do is turn out to support Democrats in the House and Senate. It is hard for independents to succeed in this country, and until that is fixed, it is absolutely a good idea to check the power of the President with a coherent opposition.

We just gotta remember that we can definitely do better than that same opposition going forward. Primary the rotting corpses that we call incumbents. Demand independent redistricting. Give your signature to ranked choice ballot initiatives.

Also, while we're talking Democrats, a relevant topic on this theme of protests. Keep in mind your typical liberal politician who gives police brutality protests their moral support, will sooner take your guns away than the police's.

We can do better. There is fertile ground for lasting socioeconomic reform in this country, but it requires dissolving this cartel these "separate" parties have created for themselves by partitioning almost every district in this country into an uncompetitive safe seat.

tl;dr: Here's food for thought. We're so terrified of this autocracy that Trump will surely be able to impose even if his party loses control of a Congress which apparently doesn't exist. Yet here's the funny thing about autocracies: they tend to endure specifically because they can always point to a "greater evil" in their society. And if you challenge them in any way, expect them to do better, you are just really siding with the greater evil. Sound familiar?

Since entering the race last summer, Amy McGrath has been the Senate's personal pick to win Kentucky from Mitch McConnell. A conservative Democrat who considers herself a pro-Trump Democrat and immediately flip-flopped on voting for and then against Kavanaugh, she would allegedly fit right into the mold of other corporate Democrats that parade the US Senate.

But one person who entered the race early in the year has begun to pick up some serious steam and can win the primary and general: Charles Booker. A progressive from Louisville, he is campaigning for Medicare for All, Green New Deal, criminal justice reform, doesn't take corporate PAC dough, and supports a whole host of progressive ideals that have bled into American politics. As people protest in Kentucky, he has participated in them and helped them when needed. This evening, popular radio host Matt Jones (who considered a Senate run himself after McGrath kicked him off the air) announced his endorsement of Booker.

I really believe Booker can win the primary and beat McConnell. Go get 'em! :D

CBS: Supreme Court rules federal civil rights law protects LGBTQ workers

This just happened.

Until today, in many states, you could be fired for your sexual orientation or gender identity, but this is no longer true. Now, in all 50 states, you cannot legally lose your job for who you love or how you identify.

I'm not sure where to put this and it seems more notable than to just dump in a status update, but Microsoft has put a hard ban on user created content that includes "Notorious Iconography."

Now this is obviously directly targeted at the Confederate Flag to prevent it being put on General Lee replicas to go alone with the Swastikas and Schutzstaffel insignias and other various Nazi things that were of course always on that list, I found it of particular interest that the Imperial Japanese Navy flag is also included on the list. I may very well be mistaken, but I think this is the first time that anyone major in the West has actually shown to give a fuck in the past 70 years about the depiction of that flag as it pertains to what it represents to the entirety of Asia that is not Japan.

Welp, Trump's new campaign logo is basically the Nazi logo with an American Flag taking place of the Swatstika:

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/7/1/1957644/-This-New-Logo-for-the-Trump-2020-Campaign-is-out-Please-see-what-inspired-it

Feel free to mentally put "White" in front of the "America First" bit below mentally, because that's basically what he's tooting through this dog bullhorn right now.

On 7/1/2020 at 9:15 PM, SenEDDtor Missile said:

Welp, Trump's new campaign logo is basically the Nazi logo with an American Flag taking place of the Swatstika:

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/7/1/1957644/-This-New-Logo-for-the-Trump-2020-Campaign-is-out-Please-see-what-inspired-it

Feel free to mentally put "White" in front of the "America First" bit below mentally, because that's basically what he's tooting through this dog bullhorn right now.

Regardless of the arguments I’ve seen about how “the actual inspiration predates the nazi ideology”, it’s affiliation is now a thing as we don’t live in a vacuum. Trump should have researched, as /many/ will see this as that. That again though, implies it wasn’t intentionally done to poke a stick at “the libs”

106200606_10163742173420641_822321407653