Awoo.

The General 'Murican Politics Thread

Tornado

http://www.newser.com/story/252296/in-win-for-trump-mccain-to-vote-yes-on-tax-bill.html

So much for Maverick McCain. He's giving the thumbs up for the GOP Tax Scam. Guess the smell of money outweighed the smell of his own potential death from cancer and his own soul. But hey, he got chemotherapy, so I guess fuck everyone else who might need it.

1 hour ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

But hey, he got chemotherapy, so I guess fuck everyone else who might need it.

That's Republicans for you. "Fuck you, got mine" literally to the very end.

2 hours ago, SSF1991 said:

Ugh, this crappy tax plan's going to pass and I hate that so much.

Remember the government is corrupt and are owned by wall street and other big money interests. Of course they are going to serve their masters and give them more money. Afterall Obama did the same thing and gave a huge tax cut to people who do not need it.

1 hour ago, TailsTellsTales said:

Remember the government is corrupt and are owned by wall street and other big money interests. Of course they are going to serve their masters and give them more money. Afterall Obama did the same thing and gave a huge tax cut to people who do not need it.

When did he do that? Serious question, cuz I don't recall him doing that.

2 hours ago, TailsTellsTales said:

Afterall Obama did the same thing and gave a huge tax cut to people who do not need it.

After a quick search:

If you don’t remember the Obama tax cuts, there’s a reason. Obama didn’t propose massive tax cuts, and sign his own plan into law. What he did was sign a law that made permanent tax cuts his predecessor, George W. Bush, had put into place. So in a way, Obama merely ratified tax cuts enacted by another president, largely because he had no choice — most consumers would have endured major tax increases had Obama refused to extend the cuts. But the law Obama signed offers an important lesson that’s relevant today, with Congress poised once again to cut taxes and push the national debt higher.

Like...dude seriously. I get that Democrats aren't perfect, and they've proven to have done some corrupt things themselves, but you've spent more time in this thread going after them for things that happened a year ago or more than the people that are actually in power and are currently in the process of screwing people over right now. While you're still complaining about something that happened almost a decade ago and didn't even happen the way you say it did under a president that isn't even in office anymore, along with constantly bringing up last year's primaries, I'm scared out of my mind that this GOP tax bill is going to destroy the country's economy and be a first step towards dismantling things like Social Security and Medicare.

• Thumbs Up 7

Well Mueller just got charged with lying to the FBI. Anyone think this is the beginning of the end for Trump?

23 minutes ago, Johnny Boy said:

Well Mueller just got charged with lying to the FBI. Anyone think this is the beginning of the end for Trump?

I think you mean to say "Mueller charged Michael Flynn with lying to the FBI?" That's what I'm reading anyway.

1 hour ago, SSF1991 said:

On the plus side...tax bill being passed or not...

https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/936628576828325889

There we have it.

He's done for.

Well,  if the word that most of his party,  Pence included knew about it,  most of them will be as well,  politically. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I know it's fun to think about Donny boy flinging things around the hallway, but twitter accounts like that one are basically the political version of "my uncle works at nintendo."

• Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, Chili Dawg said:

I know it's fun to think about Donny boy flinging things around the hallway, but twitter accounts like that one are basically the political version of "my uncle works at nintendo."

I mean given this is Trump we're talking about that's on record done shit like this, AND the news that this caught the White House off guard, would this really shock anyone that Trump is pissed?

On 11/30/2017 at 8:15 PM, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

When did he do that? Serious question, cuz I don't recall him doing that.

When the Bush tax cuts were about to expire, Obama extended them for 2 more years even though all he had to do was nothing.

1 hour ago, SSF1991 said:

They just did.

I am deeply sorry. I will say the one thing I am the most against is giving huge unbelievable sums of money to people who don't need it. And guess what it's people like you and me who will be paying for their trillions in tax cuts. There is hope though if you look hard enough. By the way you mentioned this.

On 11/30/2017 at 9:20 PM, SSF1991 said:

Like...dude seriously. I get that Democrats aren't perfect, and they've proven to have done some corrupt things themselves, but you've spent more time in this thread going after them for things that happened a year ago or more than the people that are actually in power and are currently in the process of screwing people over right now.

I go after them because they keep serving the wealthy. Remember when Hillary was only in favor of $12 minimum wage instead of $15? Yeah that is what I am talking about. This corruption that they become. The party of URGENT RAPID CHANGE for when the wealthy and big corruptions need help, but only PRAGMATIC INCREMENTAL CHANGE for everybody else. That is why I bring it up. I don't want them given a free pass just because the other side is so horrificly bad there.

So, tax bill passed 51-49. Paul Ryan has already issued his comments about the bill being rushed to committee to iron out a final bill both Houses will have a second vote on.

The good news is that this isn't over yet. Both Houses just wanted to claim a win. It's very possible the compromise bill could still fail one chamber; this would allow any incumbent to blame the other House for failure. The saying is "everyone hates Congress but loves their Congressperson" for a reason.

While the House is sure to salivate over the prospect of repealing Obamacare's mandate, now that the final bill will be playing for keeps, it's possible more Representatives will shoot down the final bill for not going far enough on protecting state and local tax deductions. Likewise, moderate Senators like Murkowski and Collins could be Nays on the basis of impacting healthcare for their states. Bob Corker is already a no, but his fellow retiring Republicans McCain and Flake could possibly change their vote since they have nothing to lose either way. Finally, the ever dogmatic Rand Paul might shoot down any bill for not being right wing enough.

The real problem is that any compromise bill has to pass reconciliation rules. It's possible the House could push for an aggressive bill that wouldn't meet the criteria.

It's going to be a tense few weeks, but it's still very possible this effort will go down in flames in either chamber.

If Doug Jones pulls off a surprise win in Alabama 10 days from now, the GOP's odds of passing tax reform will really evaporate, because now they can only lose one vote and win with a simple majority. Moderates like Collins and Murkowski will be more powerful than ever before.

Personally, I'm hoping McCain will give McConnell another "regular order" surprise when the final bill comes up to a vote. He was willing to rush the bill through the Senate, likely helped by the fact it's not the final bill. If the committee does a rush job, he might be alienated from the final product.