Awoo.

The General 'Murican Politics Thread

Tornado

I wrote this a status but I'll place it here

Thank you Trump and Congress. Thanks to your back and forth blame game and non negotiations. Federal works ( myself included) are now on furlough.

1. And what is more infuriating is they had All day and they voted 2 hours before the shut down. Then 30 minutes before the senators now scramble and are still huddled in talks. That should of happened hours ago.

Honestly regardless of what party controls what. They are affecting many peoples lives. Still even now are throwing the blame game.

So the GOP has caused another fucking shutdown. And they try to blame the Dems despite literally having control the White House and both Congress and the Senate.

On the anniversary of Trump's inauguration.

This should speak volumes about Trump and the GOP's incompetence and disunity.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 2

If it eases anyone's minds, I'm looking at the Trump Shutdown hashtag on Twitter and people, so far, are unanimously blaming Trump and the GOP for this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Chalk one up for Trump-Carter comparisons: they will both be remembered as Presidents who had to deal with funding gaps even when their Party controlled both chambers of Congress.

Combined with impending insurance market chaos and a general anti-GOP sentiment, this year's midterms are looking more and more like a bloodbath for the GOP.

Really, if that economic downturn we've been expecting hits sometime this year, the GOP is really screwed.

7 hours ago, Kevin said:

Two thing to note is that this the first shutdown to ever happen under one party controlling all 3 branches of government and it's exactly been a year since Trump has been inaugurated as President.

Technically yes, in terms of employees being furloughed. But the first funding gap to happen when a single party controlled both chambers and the Presidency was under Carter. ...Five times! Strangely enough, Carter asked his Attorney General in his final year for an opinion on the law... said opinion is where the requirement to furlough comes from.

So basically, Trump has repeated Carter's problem, except now he gets furloughs on top of it that are likely to bite them in the ass this November.

12 hours ago, Bergamo (Ogilvie) said:

Technically yes, in terms of employees being furloughed. But the first funding gap to happen when a single party controlled both chambers and the Presidency was under Carter. ...Five times! Strangely enough, Carter asked his Attorney General in his final year for an opinion on the law... said opinion is where the requirement to furlough comes from.

So basically, Trump has repeated Carter's problem, except now he gets furloughs on top of it that are likely to bite them in the ass this November.

I don't recall there having been any furloughed government employees during those shutdowns, though I may be wrong.

It’s just super poetic that the government shuts down on the anniversary of Trumps Inauguration.

• Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, Johnny Boy said:

It’s just super poetic that the government shuts down on the anniversary of Trumps Inauguration.

Super poetic or no purpose

One wonders if Trump remembers tweeting like this at all. I know that his physical supposedly saw him the picture of good health, but the man has been displaying classic symptoms of dementia for months, and his dietary habits and views on exercise leave a lot to be desired.

43 minutes ago, Patticus said:

One wonders if Trump remembers tweeting like this at all. I know that his physical supposedly saw him the picture of good health, but the man has been displaying classic symptoms of dementia for months, and his dietary habits and views on exercise leave a lot to be desired.

Considering what you noted and his no doubt immensely selective memory and pathological liar tendencies, probably not or he doesn't care, since his personal cult will just lap up everything he says and ignore anything to the contrary.

8 hours ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

his personal cult will just lap up everything he says and ignore anything to the contrary.

With the exception of if he cuts a deal on DACA. #BurnMyMAGAHat was a thing in the past and surely will be in the near future.

On the other hand, he can always spin it as somehow being forced to sign the law...

None too pleased at Democrats for caving in to this GOP deal of "promises".

How hard is it to resist? I can't blame people for being demoralized by this. It's frustrating when the only alternative to a racist, pro-fascist party is a party that doesn't fight at all.

I don't think the Democratic momentum will stop. The GOP threat is just too great. But man do Democrats need to get their shit together.

• Thumbs Up 4

If the GOP breaks its promises, the Democrats will remember going forward.

Particularly a dangerous thing if the Democrats end up retaking one of the chambers later this year. A Democratic sweep that keeps incumbents in but sweeps Republicans out of power in Tennessee, Nevada and Arizona is a possibility.

22 hours ago, SSF1991 said:

None too pleased at Democrats for caving in to this GOP deal of "promises".

How hard is it to resist? I can't blame people for being demoralized by this. It's frustrating when the only alternative to a racist, pro-fascist party is a party that doesn't fight at all.

I don't think the Democratic momentum will stop. The GOP threat is just too great. But man do Democrats need to get their shit together.

They haven't "caved in" to anything. The DACA conversation is still open, CHIP has finally gotten funding - six years of it, meaning the GOP can't hold over Dems' heads again like they did before, they get an extra three weeks to work something out, and that offer Schumer made to Trump has been withdrawn, so no wall funding. If anything, this puts more pressure on the GOP and Trump; either they begrudgingly accept the Dems' proposal (which includes keeping DACA and no funding for the wall - non-negotiables at this point ) or we face another shutdown at the hands of Trump and the Republicans, and that'll really put them in the hot seat.

• Thumbs Up 1

The good news is a lot of Republican members of Congress seem more interested in generic border security funding than a wall. For good reason: mobile forces are better than static forces. We don't live in the Middle Ages anymore; all a wall does is encourage crafty ways to get around it. There are plenty of loan sharks throughout Latin America happy to finance expensive migration into the United States (they threaten to hurt and kill family members left behind to keep the remittances flowing), and they'd certainly appreciate the increased business a wall would bring.

It really comes down to whether or not Trump himself will veto on the basis of no wall. He might, but at the same time he has stated he'd be interested in whatever proposal Congress could come up with (much to the anger of his base).

It's going to be an interesting next few weeks.

Dems should put in very fine print that their proposal involves cancelling the presidency and holding a new election

Spoiler

i know, i know

If it means what I think it means, I think it's just an attempt to please his coal miner base. "See, I totally care about coal miners, even though I haven't done anything to improve their health or create new jobs for them."

If not, than you can just ignore this entire post.

I just hope the solar industry can find ways to adapt and remain competitive cause little squares that give ya energy right from thr fuckin sun are pretty much the hypest shit and if i had a house I'd take twenty.

And of course fuck Trump for doin' it

Just now, RedFox99 said:

So, do you think it's fair that someone with conservative views should be automatically labeled as "bigoted"?

Depends on the view in specific and if it’s a inherently bigoted by nature viewpoint 

1 minute ago, KHCast said:

Depends on the view in specific and if it’s a inherently bigoted by nature viewpoint 

"Nature viewpoint"?

WASHINGTON — President Trump ordered the firing last June of Robert S. Mueller III, the special counsel overseeing the Russia investigation, according to four people told of the matter, but ultimately backed down after the White House counsel threatened to resign rather than carry out the directive.

The West Wing confrontation marks the first time Mr. Trump is known to have tried to fire the special counsel. Mr. Mueller learned about the episode in recent months as his investigators interviewed current and former senior White House officials in his inquiry into whether the president obstructed justice.

After receiving the president’s order to fire Mr. Mueller, the White House counsel, Donald F. McGahn II, refused to ask the Justice Department to dismiss the special counsel, saying he would quit instead, the people said. They spoke on the condition of anonymity because they did not want to be identified discussing a continuing investigation.

Mr. McGahn disagreed with the president’s case and told senior White House officials that firing Mr. Mueller would have a catastrophic effect on Mr. Trump’s presidency. Mr. McGahn also told White House officials that Mr. Trump would not follow through on the dismissal on his own. The president then backed off.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/25/us/politics/trump-mueller-special-counsel-russia.html?action=Click&contentCollection=BreakingNews&contentID=66419382&pgtype=Homepage

ayDXfxE.gif

This should be some pretty big news, because up to now, Trump has only been rumored to have wanted to get rid of Mueller, but even then the rumors haven't been well substantiated (IIRC). Now we know that the only reason that Mueller is still involved today is because of the White House Counsel, Donald F. McGahn II - a man of surprising courage, it turns out.

Of course, while this should be a big story, it very likely won't dominate the news cycle for long, in part because of Trump's Davos Adventure, and in part because so many career-ruining scandals have already happened to Trump, so much shit has already stuck to him, that it's all but impossible for any scandal to get traction in the media for long. That's why Mueller and the FBI's Russia investigation is so important, I suppose, because it's the only thing that keeps coming back to haunt him in any meaningful way, and it's responsible for Trump and co walking right into the obstruction of justice case Mueller may well be building.

If the House flips blue, it will almost certainly move to impeach Trump; it can't not, the pressure from the base is sky high. The Senate won't allow that to turn into removal and prosecution proceedings, however - the Democrats won't have the votes for that until 2020 and beyond, by which time Trump may be a private citizen anyway, and more conventional legal means will again be an option.

I hope that if genuine, prosecutable criminality is uncovered, that he and whomever else is involved gets dragged through the courts, because

UzL0hlJ.gif

In other news, Donald Trump told Theresa May that he won't visit the UK unless she bans protests. Guess he won't be visiting after all, then! Silver linings and all that, right?

• Thumbs Up 4