Awoo.

New Batman game starring Damian Wayne - Suicide Squad Game supposedly cancelled

Ryannumber1gamer

So, you guys might remember Batman Arkham Knight. You know, the finale to the Batman Arkham Series? The final game? The one that advertised "This is how it happened, this is how The Batman died?". Well yeah. Just like the comic books, marketability means that these characters will never stay dead. So what's this topic about? Well you might have remembered earlier in the year where it was rumored that a new Batman game was under development by WB Montreal, who previously developed Batman Arkham Origins and Batman Arkham City: Armored Edition. Even further was a supposed Suicide Squad game that was under development by the same studio, and had been previously set up extensively by the game developers in Batman Arkham Origins and Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate. 

Well today, it seems like we've gotten two bad pieces of news. Firstly the Suicide Squad game that was rumored to be in development and would be WB's first unique dive into the DC Comics games, and the first Arkham-style game not based on Batman has been cancelled, and secondly, the new rumored Batman game has been supposedly confirmed as in development and is going to star *sigh* Damian Wayne.

If anyone needs me, I'm just gonna be over here wondering why it's not Nightwing.

giphy.gif

Warner Bros. has canned an unannounced Suicide Squad game to focus on a new Batman game starring Damian Wayne, according to a new report.

Kotaku's Jason Schreier reports Warner cancelled the Suicide Squad game, which had been in the works at Batman: Arkham Oranges developer Warner Bros Montreal, after it failed to impress management.

So, WB Montreal is left to work on a Damian Wayne game. In the comics, Damian is Batman's son who assumes the role of Robin. We don't know anything about the new video game, and Schreier suggests it won't be announced any time soon.

There have been a raft of Batman games released in recent years. Rocksteady completed its superb Arkham trilogy with the release of Arkham Knight in 2015, and this year has seen the release of Batman: The Telltale Series, Batman: Return to Arkham and Batman: Arkham VR.

Source; http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-12-20-suicide-squad-game-reportedly-canned-as-warner-focuses-on-new-batman

Yeah... Nightwing would have been the ridiculously better choice out of the remaining characters. Though, I won't lie and say that their aren't some interesting possibilities here. For one, we could get a pretty interesting plot going into the al Ghuls considering what happens at the end of City and in the DLC for Knight. Also, this might force someone to actually write Damian as a likeable character for once since there's no way in hell the game's story would work without the main character being enjoyable to watch. Plus, all this talk about the Batcycle excites the living hell out of me.

While I'm sad to see that the Suicide Squad game fell through... I will say that I am just stocked for a new Arkham game in general. Damian certainly isn't my first pick for it... but I am curious to see where this leads. Especially if it's going into what happened after Knight.

Though, I'll say right now that they better have that PC version already started on. It's going to be interesting as I don't think RS left them with a lot of clean code this time around going off of how buggy Knight was on even the PS4. A lot of the leg work on the technical side might be coming from Montreal this time around.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't know about you guys but I would rather see DC make a good game that isn't really Batman focused. Like how about a good Superman game or a Flash game? 

• Thumbs Up 7

1 minute ago, Dejimon11 said:

I don't know about you guys but I would rather see DC make a good game that isn't really Batman focused. Like how about a good Superman game or a Flash game? 

Well I get the feeling that's what Rocksteady is currently working on. They basically just have Montreal continuing the Arkham series.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ha, yeah I was thinking of making a topic about this.

There's a really good video - I can't find for the life of me - which talks about how WB Montreal idiotically leaked details of the new Batman, such as screenshots of a new map of Gotham and one which shows developers talking about sequences in the game and have written on a whiteboard ; "Arrives on bike, enters the building, leaves the building".

It's believed the Batman game is not a continuation of the Arkham series. That some of the characters that died in the Arkham games such as Poison Ivy will be appearing the new Damian Wayne game.

I love the arkham series, so I'm happy they're working on a new game and there is potential to make a better one than Arkham Knight which has it's share of design issues, but with all the changes Montreal have undergone recently, I'm a tad skeptical we could end up with another flawed game like Origins.

On Sat Dec 24 2016 at 2:16 AM, Dejimon11 said:

My guess is Rocksteady is probably working on another superhero game, leaving WB Montreal to continue with Batman.

20 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

You know what? I wan't a game centered around magic. Give me a game based on DCU Magic and stop with the Batman games already. Let me incinerate a dude with a rhyme, or hunt people down in the name of god's wrath.

• Thumbs Up 4

What would possess them to make a game that stars one of the most obnoxious, arrogant, and disliked characters in Bat Family? Like this isn't even them taking a character they unintentionally screwed up and are trying to fix, this is a character who's attitude and actions from the get go seem to be done in a way that makes you want to strangle them instead of sympathize. 

I mean, I'll give the benefit of the doubt in that maybe they'll take his personality in a much more amiable direction...or at least in a fitting way that doesn't make one want to punch him in the face, but that's a big "WTF?" move right there. I mean aside from Nightwing of all characters (like really, how do you skimp out on that one), Cassandra Cain would have been a better choice than Damian (and I'm not saying just that because I like an girl that can kick my ass -- and don't f'kin judge me on  THAT bit).

• Thumbs Up 8

Ugggh, if they want to have a game starring a different character in the Batfamily, why not a Nightwing or Batgirl game? or hell why not a Batman Beyond game, that would make a amazing game,

But damian wayne?

latest?cb=20111104211048\

Yeah! this is exactly the Batman i want to see in a video game!!!

sonic___do_not_want_by_cadethehedgehog-d

I was a little bit scared when this topic was announced that my dislike of Damian Wayne would just bring the entire thread down, so I'd be afraid to post in it because I wouldn't have many good things to say.  But I'm glad to know that many people here share a similar opinion.  Damian has some rare and in-between good moments (the loose Court of Owls adaptation that is 2015's Batman vs. Robin being the best one I can think of), but I find his actual personality to be the most obnoxious and boring character in the series that I almost wish he'd go the way of Jason Todd.  Suffice it to say, I'm not looking forward to this.

Batgirl has arguably the best DLC in Arkham Knight, so I get that in terms of games, she's been given marginally better treatment than the other members of the bat family.  But I'd kill for a full game of her with the same or similar thematics to the Arkham games.  Except, maybe at least try to give Batgirl a broader emotional spectrum than was given to Batman in all four Arkham games.  That would be so great.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 1 month later...

IGN France tweeted this about a week ago...

It's likely the reveal date of the next Batman game.

Looks very similar to one for Arkham Origins a few years ago.

svethedt

All I want for the next Arkham game is to embrace some of the more...crap villains. I'd love to see a sidequest about Kiteman or Penny Plunderer just to cover all bases of Batman lore. The series made Man-Bat into a creepy, jump-scare inducing nightmare and put Calander Man onto the same level as Hannibal Lecter, I think it can be done. Arkham can fix any Batman character. Even when they initially screw up someone like Bane, they fix them later as seen in Arkham Origins. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had to embed because I can't change yo display as a link thanks to "Parameter 'out' is required". Worth noting is that a while ago, WB teased an announcement for March 8th. Maybe this is it?

Since it seems related, I've merged this rumor with the current Batman topic.

22 minutes ago, Josh said:

As long as it's not that Damien Wayne shit I'm down. Sounds better than Knight.

I wouldn't go as far to say it sounds better than Knight (seeing as I actually enjoyed that, flaws and all). With that said, I'm feeling a lot better about these rumors now. No Damian, no erasing the finale that's already been given to us, an interesting story dynamic by having both Batman and Robin at the same time (NIGHTWING!ROBIN FOR THE RECORD) and of course, the Court of Owls as villains (which I am all down for. I love the idea of them as villains in the comic, and if they actually have that iconic maze scene where Batman's drugged and forced into it for a week, creating a mindfuck level on the scale as Knight's end sequence, sign me the fuck up.

It looks like the post has been removed by a moderator.  Could anyone basically summarize what was in it?  The most I see is a so-called "Arkham Insurgency" proto-title that potentially involves the villains attempting to "overthrow" Batman?  Could anyone elaborate?

22 minutes ago, Tara said:

It looks like the post has been removed by a moderator.  Could anyone basically summarize what was in it?  The most I see is a so-called "Arkham Insurgency" proto-title that potentially involves the villains attempting to "overthrow" Batman?  Could anyone elaborate?

I'm on mobile ATM but I'll repost what I remember as soon as I get back on desktop, for now...

-Based between Origins and Asylum

-Robin is in (Dick Grayson)

-Dual Play

-Court of Owls and Owlman are the major villains

-World will be the same size, it now slightly bigger than Knight.

Ryan got the major bits, but here's a copy of the full post.

1. It’s been in development since 2014 and takes place three years after events in Batman Arkham Origins.

2. Playable characters will include Batman and Robin, with Dick Grayson once again playing the part of Robin.

3. It will introduce a new location in Gotham, a coastal area that he claims will be “the same size as the three islands from Arkham Knight.”

4. Players can fast travel to the Batcave and Wayne Manor.

5. The Batmobile mechanics have been tweaked and controls have been modified. Battle mode has been ditched, and they’ll be a larger focus on chase sequences and the weaponry of the Batmobile.

6. Combat has been improved, and made more in-depth. “It's still rhythm based where you have to time all the correct button presses exactly, but it's more complicated than the attack/counter basis of the previous games.” They’ll also be boss battles!

7. Villains will include: Maxie Zeus, Dollmaker, Killer Moth, Anarky, Two-Face, Blockbuster, Ventriloquist, Cornelius Stirk, Tweedledee and Tweedledum, Dusan al Ghul, Mad Monk, Dala, Riddler and Joker.

8. Owlman is the main villain in the game, alongside the Court of Owls, and Talons will be elite enemies.

Batman Arkham Insurgency is rumored to release in November 2017, though the alleged employee states that it could be pushed back.

http://www.psu.com/news/32303/batman-arkham-insurgency-leak-release-date

• 2 years later...

Well here's a topic I didn't think would ever be revived, especially since it seemed to end up being a fake rumour, until today at least. Concept Art of the scrapped Arkham Knight sequel by WB Games Montreal has surfaced, seemingly confirming this was indeed once a thing.

When you said Damian Wayne, for some reason, I was thinking of Jason Todd. I don't know why but I was. That would have been worse in my opinion.

Damian, I only really know from that Super Sons comic where he hangs out with Superman's kid. 

I wouldn't mind that. A Super Sons game styled like the dark as shit Arkham games. Talk about a weird as fuck experiment.