• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• FriendBot

• JezMM

• Kintor

Thanks for the link to that video; I'm really looking forward to Freedom Planet 2.

The original is honestly one of my favourite games of the past few years. Like a long lost Saturn game that somehow ended up in the 21st century. I love it.

oooooh i like. I'm loving the art direction in this one as well. The voice acting still sounds kinda cheesy to me, but it's a good kinda chessy, if that makes sense

The art style looks just as colorful as the first game so no complaints there, also this parry/dodge mechanic is pretty neat in my books and could be very helpful mechanic to take care of enemies/bosses quick like the Insta-Shield from 3&K. Also it seems like there's gonna be some super moves or something like that (I swear if this game introduces Super Forms) but hey, looks fun so I'll give it a shot when it comes around.

Didn't really get all this praise for Freedom Planet but I can't deny the fact it was a really good game.

I'm happy with all the gameplay changes. Looks like they've taken the criticsm to heart and that's good. I really want this series to deliver and I was disappointed with the first one.

I've split this topic off into it's own. I know tradition has us having those huge all in one threads, but I want to move new games in existing series into their own topics from now on, so people can see there's something new without wading through a massive topic.

Anyway!

Game looks good. I've been meaning to play the first one for ages. It's kind of a sonic/sparkster hybrid yeah?

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Remy said:

I've split this topic off into it's own. I know traditional has us having those huge all in one threads, but I want to move new games in existing series into their own topics from now on, so people can see there's something new without wading through a massive topic.

Anyway!

Game looks good. I've been meaning to play the first one for ages. It's kind of a sonic/sparkster hybrid yeah?

It has that same speed-based platforming style of Sonic but with a combat focus and it has intense bosses like Gunstar Heroes.

Looks pretty good, I ADORE the art direction of the level art, those background designs are just drop-dead gorgeous.

I'm not sure about the new, less Sonic-y look for the characters though. Something about them just seems off to me and I can't quite put my finger on what.  I think it's something about Lilac's face, it seems kind of expressionless?  I'm not really sure.

Nitpicks aside, gameplay looks totally solid though.  Both the gameplay changes and art direction seem to be serving to give the game further distance from the Sonic comparisons which I can't disrespect.

1 hour ago, Soni said:

It has that same speed-based platforming style of Sonic but with a combat focus and it has intense bosses like Gunstar Heroes.

I think "intense" is an understatement--some of the boss fights will have you biting through wood to beat even on the easier difficulty.

...Mind you, I enjoyed the game more on Hard mode all the way through with all three characters (Brevon was the only one that slightly pushed it too much for me with Lilac) so maybe I'm just a masochist.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

I think "intense" is an understatement--some of the boss fights will have you biting through wood to beat even on the easier difficulty.

...Mind you, I enjoyed the game more on Hard mode all the way through with all three characters, so maybe I'm just a masochist.

I'd say intense is appropriate enough, granted I haven't played on Hard Mode since I don't want to hate myself THAT much. Heck, trying to beat Spade as Carol was the worst experience I had in a boss bar none.

I don't consider hard bosses a bad thing, generally. After slugging through a nightmarish fight against Alma in NG Xbox nothing can ever get me that tilted again

• Thumbs Up 1

The game looks absolutely beautiful.  Definitely looking forward to seeing more.  The only thing I'm not really sure about are the character sprites, which aren't bad.  I just think I prefer the look of the original sprites.  But it's a minor complaint.

Right off the bat I am interested in FP2 from the first bit of gameplay footage and the art-style is a nice evolution from it's roots so I will make it a day one purchase.

And we got a preview to how Carol plays and it's more or less the same with her, bike and everything. Though it seems like she has a disk she can throw at enemies and home in at it while doing so; that's neat I guess.

I'm going to assume Millia is next.

Aw damn, I wanted to post Carol. :lol:

She looks like she kills enemies even faster than she did the in the first game with her slashes. I wonder if they modified her wild kick given how fast she attacked the mini-boss near the end?

• 2 weeks later...

And we got Milla, who seems to have the most additions to her gameplay style. She has more offensive options outside of the energy cubes like she punches and stuff, said energy cubes are more instantaneous and can be used to give Milla a speed boost or an extra boost in the air.

I'm sure she's going to be more enjoyable in this game than the first one.

See this is what I get for drinking last night, I end up slow on the upkeep.

But good lord, as if she wasn't broken enough with her shield in the first one. Now she's straight up Megaman here. She's gonna be so much fun to play!

I suppose she was taught some Tai-chi art based on her fighting stance.

Milla looks a lot more mature than her counterpart in the first game (not just because of the time skip, I mean).  I'm debating rather or not that's a good thing.  Regardless, her gameplay looks fundamentally improved.  Can't wait to try her out in the actual game.

EDIT - I haven't played the first game in over a year, so I may have forgotten, but did Milla ever bark like that in the first game?  I don't think I recall it ever happening.  It does add a bit of personality to her, though.

Yes, she barked at least once in the cutscene where she and Lilac were trying to wake up Carol. Mind you she was a bit more reserved Back then compared to her sounding a lot more confident here.

How would her looking mature be a bad thing tho? Is there something I'm missing here?

Just now, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

How would her looking mature be a bad thing tho? Is there something I'm missing here?

If you enjoyed her cute and bubbly portrayal in the first game, a more mature version could be a bad thing.  But that's merely a matter of personal preference.

I'm sure Milla would probably still have that cutesy side to her personality from the first game but I'm sure she won't be as innocent. I'm fine with a more mature Milla myself since I found some of her cutesy dialogue pretty cringey.

pls FP2 have less bad dialogue thank

57 minutes ago, Tara said:

If you enjoyed her cute and bubbly portrayal in the first game, a more mature version could be a bad thing.  But that's merely a matter of personal preference.

Yeah...that's not how I roll and find that a rather stagnant way of looking at things. And I'm one who did enjoy ger bubbly portrayal, but oftimes characters change when time is stated to have passed by.

I'm not sure I'm following the logic that it's wrong for me to prefer one characterization over another.  If you want to see Milla mature and grow with the story (though it's not like we have any dialogue to base this on, just her design and voice), then that's perfectly, 100% okay.  I'm not saying that's a bad thing at all, nor am I saying that I don't like the new Milla, just that I'm not sure if I find it a positive change for my personal tastes.

• Thumbs Up 2

Looking at some of her animations (particularly the one for hanging onto things) and hell, the barking thing itself, it seems like she's gonna have a kind of cute "trying to be mature but ultimately lets her normal self through" kinda personality, here.

Man, Milla actually looks kinda fun to play as opposed to FP1, better close-range combat, faster speed. I hope that she'll be as fun as Lilac in this game.