Awoo.

Freedom Planet 2: First Footage

CrownSlayers Shadow

7 hours ago, Tara said:

I'm not sure I'm following the logic that it's wrong for me to prefer one characterization over another.  

Ok, that is not what was even remotely said here.

The whole logic is that it makes sense tgat a character will show a degree of change when time passes by and to not expect that is to look at things stagnantly. How you even read that as saying you're wrong for preferring one portrayal over another is a question I'd like to know.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• FriendBot

• JezMM

• Kintor

Mila looks fun to play as. Miracles do happen. 

I still find myself drifting toward Lilac though. Would rather play as a simple character in a game like this over a complicated one.

2 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Ok, that is not what was even remotely said here.

The whole logic is that it makes sense tgat a character will show a degree of change when time passes by and to not expect that is to look at things stagnantly. How you even read that as saying you're wrong for preferring one portrayal over another is a question I'd like to know.

Because that's literally all I said.  Preferring one characterization over another isn't a stagnant way of looking at things; it's just having preferences.  Telling me it's to be expected is just... pedantic, to be honest.

• Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, Tara said:

Because that's literally all I said.  Preferring one characterization over another isn't a stagnant way of looking at things; it's just having preferences.  Telling me it's to be expected is just... pedantic, to be honest.

More like it's emphasizing the two year time skip explaining why the girls have grown up since and why this was to be expected.

I said nothing about your preferences.

• 2 weeks later...

Who said that Freedom Planet 2 was only going to have the main 3? That's right, Neera is also going to be a playable character and it looks like most of her attacks, if not all, her attacks come from her spear. Considering that I'm not the biggest fan of Neera in the first game, found her too uptight and strict that just annoyed me, here's hoping that this game flesh her out a bit more. Would be nice to see a more fun side to Neera, even if it's brief.

• Thumbs Up 2

Considering all the characters the series has, I'm surprised they bothered with another playable.

Considering that they're adding Spade and Torque in the first game (what's the latest on that?), I'm not really surprised. 

There was strong fan demand for Neera in the first Freedom Planet, so this was easy to see coming even tho it's still surprising.

That and, bizarre as this sounds, I expected her to be around when the outro of the gameplay trailer showed four streaks of light flying toward the logo instead of three, with each color signifying the characters.

Still, awesome people finally get to play as her. She looks like she plays close to Model LX from Megaman ZX.

Finally decided to beat FP, hadn't played it for a few years.

Erm, it's alright. Liliac's gameplay is pretty good. I do feel the difficulty-spike with boss fights halfway the game is really harsh, they can decimate your lives which is infuriating when the stages (aside from the bosses) are easy to navigate. Even the music (apart from a few tracks) and level themes aren't that impressive or memorable. Most of the stages go on too long/overstay their welcome. I found myself getting bored very quickly. Whilst I like the first stage, overall I didn't find the level design for the rest of the game to be particularly interesting. There is some variety of course, but it still felt too repetitive and not particularly challenging.

I'll try playing with Carol and Milla to see what their gameplay styles are like, but yeah, this game just isn't for me. I hear they're supposed to be porting FP to PS4, but no news on this?

Visually FP2 is looking much better. I like Lilac's new design. I also appreciate them adding a health-bar for the bosses. Here's hoping FP2 turns out much better. 

sometimes I feel the sprite work doesn't do the character art any justice....its just so good. Personally can't wait for FP2, I gotta get back to beating the first one though...originally got it on steam than the Wii U. Ended up playing it more on the Wii U and kinda forgot about it XD

I'm in agreement about Mila looking a lot better to play as in FP2 vs 1. I wasn't really a fan of her gameplay style in the first game. I'm really liking Lilac's new design though.

Personally, I'm excited for FP2. The first game was fantastic despite the difficulty, especially with the bosses taking a jarring sudden upturn later on through the game. I'm personally glad that added a health bar to the bosses now.

Neera looks awesome to play as!  This game might fix the original's "every character except Lilac is hard to play as."

I'm just hoping they don't overbloat the game with characters.  I honestly don't feel the need to play as Torque in the first FP, for example.  More does not automatically mean better. 

• Thumbs Up 3

30 minutes ago, Tara said:

Neera looks awesome to play as!  This game might fix the original's "every character except Lilac is hard to play as."

I'm just hoping they don't overbloat the game with characters.  I honestly don't feel the need to play as Torque in the first FP, for example.  More does not automatically mean better. 

I think they might bring back Spade as playable this time... but Torque is gone thankfully for story reasons.

The streamlined approach appeals to me a lot. I seriously can't wait to try every character out. In the first game I was turned off of the non Lilac chars after messing around with them pretty quickly. In this one everyone seems to be fast paced and simple

Just now, you can try out a demo of FP2 right now!

All 4 characters playable, Dragon Valley only and other stuff. Get on it fam!

Not even in the gameplay itself and I already got things to say. Seems like you can pick atleast 2 items to help/challenge you in the game, like making it easier or harder to get lives, start with no stocks, Auto-Guarding, make every Shield an Earth or Water shield, take double damage, get more crystals and much more. It's a pretty neat addition if I say so myself. You can choose the addons or handicaps you want in your playthrough. Makes it more unique for the individual player, that's really nice.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just tried the demo myself - this already feels like a finished game.

Firstly, I appreciate that the demo actually includes controller supporter. I had no problem connecting and using my Logitech F310 to play.

Beyond that: the graphic are amazing, the music is amazing, the gameplay (I played Lilac) is fluid and responsive.

When is Freedom Planet 2 getting a Steam page? I want to pre-order today.

Just finished playing through the demo, didn't really explore the level that much but I got around to playing as the main 4.

Lilac plays pretty much the same as in the first game so that's fun and dandy! Carol's jump disc was a lot of fun to use and if used properly could make very quick work in bosses. Milla having more offensive options was a good move and I found more enjoyment playing her than in the first; still need to play her a bit more to get a proper feel for her. Neera was a pleasant surprise to play as, if this is what she's gonna be like in the full game, Neera is going to be my second go to character.

So yeah, pretty impressed with this demo so far.

Just finished playing the level for the 6th or so time. Game overall feels a lot better. Lilac has seen a bunch of tweaks and improvements, with the ability to cancel dragon boost being my favorite. Mila and Carol feel a lot better too. Mila especially feels like she's going to be worth a play-through this time, though I found it kind of weird that you charged her projectile by dodging. You can basically have a full one whenever. 

I wasn't that big on the new character. Her attacks felt too slow and her hitboxes kinda small. I'm probably approaching playing her wrong though so I'll probably mess around with her again tomorrow.

Overall very solid. The level's beautiful and the music's fucking awesome(Lilac's victory theme especially) so I'm really excited for this.

Am I the only one miffed that I can't fuckin' wild kick anymore with Carol?! <_<

Really, kinda liked that move alot.

Ah well. It's a great improvement on the first game overall. Played the game on hard, and the controls are smooth. Started with Milla first, and I really like what they've done with her and Neera wasn't as bad to play for a new character--it was like playing a fast paced Megaman Zero with these two having melee and ranged attacks. Lilac felt a bit too powerful at times, but I liked the ability to cancel her Dragon Boost, which took some getting used to as far as damaging enemies since she usually kills most of them in 1 or 2 hits.

The Guard feature is useful, but I didn't feel myself needing to use it much unless I was playing as Milla to use her Murder Cubes.

Carol was a bit awkward, not just for the lack of wild kick which I felt made her more vulnerable than I was used to with her, but I accidentally threw my bike and turned it into the disk. Was wondering how I could get it back, but not too bother with that at the moment. Despite the lack of Wild Kick, Carol attacks feel a lot faster and fluid, and the Wild Claw is a lot easier to execute here than it was in FP1 where you hardly had any need to ever use it.

Was kinda shocked at how different the new Dragon Valley theme was compared to how it was originally conceived for this game, but it fitted the visuals of the Valley during the nightlife far better than the original with it's soft, serene, jazzy tone as opposed the original's more bouncy, Chinese groove. I wonder if they're going to use the original tune for a daytime version of it (if they're planning that, that is)? Could barely recognize the boss fight tune as a remix of the original one, but I heard the main motif that I recognized back in FP1, but it gets props for keeping that intensity, if not jacking it up a few notches with a slightly higher tempo.

Resurrecting yourself on the spot is insanely risky depending on how many lives you have. If you have just 1 life, you're better off lying dead and restarting with full health because if you bring yourself back, it takes just one hit to kill you for good. But if you manage to gain enough lives, I can see this being insanely useful on those bosses that cuck you of victory right when they're just that close to death.

Can't wait for the rest of the game!

EDIT: Just checked out Woofle's preview tunes, and the level music is confirmed to be the stages "Night" theme, although that's not exactly a confirmation that there will be a "Daytime" stage. We'll see...

My thoughts in a nutshell:

-Dislike the new Carol quite a bit; Not pleased at all with the removal of Wild Kick, and it's replacement (the disc) doesn't seem worthwhile.

-Milla is much, much better gameplay wise this time around.

-Loving Neera.

-Lilac is lilac. Seems only slightly different.

-So happy to not see the logo that appeared in the first trailer. That thing was... kinda awful, in my opinion.

The game as a whole just looks and feels better, even though I personally prefer the artstyle of the first game at the moment.. Animations are smoother/have more frames to them, and the sprites are more detailed overall. The demo is very solid, and it's probably going to be a day one purchase for me now. In the first game, Carol was my favorite and most played character by far, but in this game, I feel that she's going to be just the opposite. She was my least favorite character to play as in the demo and my least favorite of the new character designs. My feelings on this could change as I have more time to think about things. Its ridiculous (in a good way) how much better Milla is now.

Nice to know someone is with me on the lack of Wild Kick, but I do like the new disc move giving Carol range.

Not sure how much I'll enjoy her here thi, given that one gripe. 

Control setup is bugged. I reassigned the buttons on my XB1 controller a couple of times, and afterwards the game seemed to want to map all the buttons to all the things. The A button on the XB1 controller became attack, special, jump, and down (???) for some reason or another.

Had fun with it, it's been too long since I played the original to compare any character changes though.  Lilac is definitely still the most fun to play for me, but her sprites still bother me.  Her expression does switch up during several actions, but her "default" expression is such a thousand yard stare, I dunno if anyone else really agrees but it doesn't endear her design to me.

Music is top marks as well, I had my fill after trying Neera and playing ol' faithful Lilac, but when I noticed they each had a unique victory theme I just had to play the other two to hear it all lol.  Great stuff, and I like that Relic Maze (I think?) seems to have sort of become an overall lemotif, since it was one of the most memorable tracks from the first game.

Playing this demo felt better than FP1. Horizontal-facing springs actually work this time, which was one of my problems with the original's physics. I like that Lilac can uppercut mid-air and her cyclone doesn't use the special meter. I didn't like Carol or Milla in FP1 and sadly this demo hasn't changed my opinion, but Carol's special is much better now and gives her a much-needed mid-air boost. The panda wife plays nicely for the most part, and I'm interested in playing her campaign after I'm done with Lilac's.

The new art style and designs have grown on me over time; I prefer them over the originals.

Just played through the demo with all the characters, i enjoyed practically everything, this coming from someone who didn't play the original. I'm looking forward to play this one. Also, is it worth for me to buy the first one? i mean, does the gameplay mechanics differs a lot from this one?