Awoo.

Rumored Sonic Launch Title for Switch?

SpongicX

http://gonintendo.com/stories/271139-rumor-german-retailer-lists-various-switch-launch-titles-relea?page=1#comment-107354

There appears to be a listing of an unnamed Sonic title being a launch title for Switch. Most can speculate that it could be Sonic Mania, but that game isn't set to release until Spring, and it's definitely not Project 2017, due to it being set for a Holiday 2017 release

The article just mentions a Sonic title existing in the store's listings, which makes sense as Sonic 2017 is less than a year out. We knew about this already.

Just now, Josh said:

The article just mentions a Sonic title existing in the store's listings, which makes sense as Sonic 2017 is less than a year out. We knew about this already.

Except these are listings for launch titles, meaning games coming out in March.

Just now, SpongicX said:

Except these are listings for launch titles, meaning games coming out in March.

Take a closer look at the article. 

Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, Skyrim Special Edition, Mario, Sonic, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dragon Quest XI
- retailer said that both Splatoon and MK8 will be available at launch, but wasn't sure about Zelda 
- they are preparing for a launch in Germany on the 19th of March

If these were all for launch, why would they specify that Splatoon and Mario Kart 8 will be available for launch, and only those?

It seems to me that the store just got a list of upcoming games to put on their website for preorders. That's assuming it's true at all.

Just now, Josh said:

Take a closer look at the article. 

If these were all for launch, why would they specify that Splatoon and Mario Kart 8 will be available for launch, and only those?

It seems to me that the store just got a list of upcoming games to put on their website for preorders. That's assuming it's true at all.

Like I said, this is just speculation, maybe it is just referring to Sonic Mania, maybe the game will get a March release, since it is the first month of Spring after all. I already said this is just a thought, I wasn't going around saying this will be a remake of Rise of Lyric, nor did I claim this as an actual announcement, it's just my response to a rumor over an unnamed Sonic game possibly being a launch title for Switch.

Also, not every launch title comes out on the exact same day as a console. As long as they come out within the first few weeks of release, they're considered as launch window titles.

Even if there's some secret third Sonic game in production, it's not going to be a "fixed" RoL. Zero percent chance. And the way people in this fanbase keep wanting devs to spend time trying to fix broken and hated games still mystifies me.

It's probably just Mania or '17.

• Thumbs Up 9

Mania is a download title, so it wouldn't be on a store listing.

There's really only one game it could be.

This screams fake to me. If There was a "Launch Sonic title" for the Switch, we would had definitely known by now. After all, Project 17 was announced for the system three months before it's announcement in october. So I say fake.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Josh said:

Mania is a download title, so it wouldn't be on a store listing.

There's really only one game it could be.

Fair point. '17's also already confirmed for the Switch. So as long as we assume the list isn't exclusively launch titles (and I don't see reason to assume it is), it referring to '17 makes the most sense.

• Thumbs Up 1

I always thought that the reason why Mania wasn't announced on the Switch is because it's being made by a small team who didn't know what Nintendo's next console would be and when it would be out. And the reason why the Project 2017 is because it's coming out in holiday 2017 and by that point the switch would of definitely been released.

Not sure if this mysterious switch game ( if there really is one) is sonic mania. It doesn't quite add up. I think I remember Aaron saying that a sonic mania port on the Nintendo Switch may happen but there's currently no plans for one. Though I'm pretty sure one will show up but much later. 

It's definitely not a remake of rise of lyric. Lol Why remake something that nobody and even the developers don't want to go back to. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I would imagine it's Project Sonic 2017 (provided it's also listed for PS4 and XBO in the system), or if it's only for Switch...

1. It's a Switch-exclusive legit retail release for Sonic Mania. Really I think that's the only system that could work well for Sega (I have a hunch a 2D 16/32-bit Sonic game wouldn't do so hot in stores on PS4 and XBO, that's just me).

2. It's a port/remaster of say Sonic Generations, since to date the HD version was never on a Nintendo system (just a very poorly made 3DS version).

And I think they only got away with a Switch mention for 2017 was because it was a major game, and Sonic has huge ties with Nintendo, like with Dragon Quest, Nintendo were able to make exceptions. Also I have a hunch folks would've been pissed if NX wasn't name dropped for 2017. :P I saw the Twitch live-reaction and it was FILLED with NX cheering when the logos came up.

We'll know for certain on the 12th/13th. :)

• Thumbs Up 2

It's project 2017.

Also don't forget that if that list has come from Nintendo they're really funny with what they call a 'launch title'.

With the Wii U and 3DS they didn't ever say launch title, but rather launch window. And that window was often 3 months if not more in some cases.

• Thumbs Up 2

Not Mania or Project 2017? Oh wow, how exciting!

Ha, someone in the comments of the link speculated the game would be a non-bugged version of Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric. I'd bet on it!

Thing is, I'd actually like to see a Switch release of the ORIGINAL Rise of Lyric, the same we saw in the original trailer and Cry Engine 3 footage. But the Boom series is so infamous now that I don't see it being worth it. Better to just make a port of Generations HD if they want a launch title on Switch at retail. With the Switch using modern tech, I'd think they could get a port done very easily, as hasn't the game run on some sort of Nvidia tech at some point? Maybe on PC I guess by Devil's Details.

6 hours ago, Hero of Legend said:

Thing is, I'd actually like to see a Switch release of the ORIGINAL Rise of Lyric, the same we saw in the original trailer and Cry Engine 3 footage. But the Boom series is so infamous now that I don't see it being worth it. Better to just make a port of Generations HD if they want a launch title on Switch at retail. With the Switch using modern tech, I'd think they could get a port done very easily, as hasn't the game run on some sort of Nvidia tech at some point? Maybe on PC I guess by Devil's Details.

And I want to know why? No seriously why do people want re-releases/remakes of bad games that companies aren't proud of and want to move on and make better games? I can understand remakes of good games that can improve the many flaws of it like Ducktales remastered but terrible games? That's just a waste of everybody's time and money especially since the damage is done and not many people really want to buy it since it didn't work the first time why trust them again?

19 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

And I want to know why? No seriously why do people want re-releases/remakes of bad games that companies aren't proud of and want to move on and make better games? I can understand remakes of good games that can improve the many flaws of it like Ducktales remastered but terrible games? That's just a waste of everybody's time and money especially since the damage is done and not many people really want to buy it since it didn't work the first time why trust them again?

Only because it looked really promising, and the issues might've resulted in its development problems. They could also fix the other issues like the talking in stages and whatnot. It's just something minor, not like a must-have or anything to me. :)

4 minutes ago, Hero of Legend said:

Only because it looked really promising,

I really have to disagree on that. Aside from a scene or two that got cut the announcement trailer looks like basically the same game as the final, and that old CryEngine video doesn't show anything beyond some pretty environments. RoL obviously went through some severe overhauls throughout its development and what it ended up being is probably pretty far from what they had originally intended, but I don't think there was ever a "good version" that got past the ideas phase, if that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Rise of Lyric would of essentially been another installment in the Jak series but more akin to the first game that's pretty much it.

27 minutes ago, Hero of Legend said:

Only because it looked really promising, and the issues might've resulted in its development problems. They could also fix the other issues like the talking in stages and whatnot. It's just something minor, not like a must-have or anything to me. :)

If the original Rise of Lyric did came out, it will still your typical generic beat em up action platformer that most licensed games are. It might not get as much hate but I doubt it's going to get any praise either; it will be forgettable at best and I doubt the sales are going to get a big boost either because of the lack of appeal.

RoL's gameplay would need a massive revamp if it's going to be used ever again. I'd say making it more like Platinum Games' better titles would be a nice start, personally.

We have an update, someone now has a photo (and another in the comments said they saw the same at their Germany GameStop):

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5mygcy/just_got_to_see_this_list_at_my_local_gamestop/

8jwngTz.jpg

And it does show TWO Sonic games (Project Sonic 2017 and one simply as "Sonic"). However the OP said that the employee said everyone but Sonic is a "release" title, but does that mean "launch" or "existing"? Considering that Sonic is preceded by NSW but 2017 is preceded by "D-NSW", I'm thinking the latter is meant to be replaced by the former (it is now 2017 after all).

Not quite ready to report this rumor just yet in case I'm jumping the gun here. :)

What do you guys think?

• Thumbs Up 1

Quoting what I said in the Mania topic;

If the blatantly tentative title "Project Sonic 2017" is listed, why would Mania be listed as just Sonic? 

It's odd that there's two listings, aye, but I'm baffled as to why the game with a finalised title would be the non-specific entry.  Folks definitely want it, but whether Pagoda and co can manage/have managed to get a devkit is another question. Even then, porting would take time; I doubt a launch day release is realistic, even if Mania ends up launching March.

• Thumbs Up 2

^ Under the same logic as above, I highly doubt they would assign a codename to an enhanced port of an already released game, so I'm putting Mania or a "fixed" version of Rise of Lyric off the table.  However, with that GameStop screen, there is now more to this rumor than just Project 2017.  As stated, though, this could also be nothing new, so either way I look forward to seeing what comes of this.

• Thumbs Up 1