Awoo.

Rewrite the ending to a Sonic Game

FantasticMrRobb

Ever watched the ending to a Sonic game and just think of how it could somehow be better?

Personally, I'm pretty content with how most of the Sonic games end, but there's a couple where I think it would have been cooler if this had happened.

This thread's purpose is to explain what "this" is, but in your own words. Pick a Sonic game, then write a different/better ending for it. The change can be major or minor, just be creative with it.

For the past while, I've had an idea for a different ending for Sonic Unleashed. Let me explain:

Since the Gaia Temples on Earth are what gave the Chaos Emeralds back their power, Dark Gaia (who rose from the core of the Earth) may have some kind connection to the power of the Chaos Emeralds. So, theoretically I'm going to say that the full strength/power of Perfect Dark Gaia could be equal to or greater than that of the Chaos Emeralds. This would also go with another theory of enemies being equal to or greater than the power of the Chaos Emeralds can actually hurt those who have went super, I'd be referring to Super Sonic in this instance, explaining his health bar in the boss fight.

That being said, we're going to fast forward to the Super Sonic and Perfect Dark Gaia boss fight. Shockingly, Super Sonic couldn't seem to inflict enough damage to Perfect Dark Gaia to finish the final blow*. Chip, who had to sit this part of the fight out from all the damage he's already taken, tells Sonic that only he could unlock the true potential of the Chaos Emeralds, which would evolve them into Super Emeralds; giving an epic rebirth to Hyper Sonic.

*Referring to the point just after Perfect Dark Gaia fires his energy beam at the Gaia Colossus, only in this re-imagining, Chip was hurt a lot more and Super Sonic had failed to dash through Perfect Dark Gaia's main eye.

I'm imagining the fight of Hyper Sonic vs Perfect Dark Gaia being relatively quick, and the final few moments would be about the same. Going Hyper strained Sonic's body a lot more than usual, especially since he had already been Super Sonic for so long. I'm figuring he would pass out and Chip would catch him like normal; everything else goes about the same.

That's about all I have for a slight re-imagining of the ending to Sonic Unleashed. Let's hear everyone else's ideas!

• Thumbs Up 1

I always liked the idea of an alternate Sonic Heroes ending, starting from where Metal Sonic's 'overlord' form is defeated:

Metal: It's no use... but why can't I defeat you?

Sonic: Hey, didn't you learn the last time? Sonic the Hedgehog always comes out ahead!

Metal: Yes... [suddenly morphs into an exact copy of Sonic] ...and there can only be one Sonic!

Metal then tackles Sonic and brawls with him, his friends unable to tell which is which as they're too fast, until they roll into one of the nearby destroyed wreckage pit areas on the ship (from the Metal Madness battle). As the flaming wreckage area begins collapsing around them, Metal reverts to his Neo form:

Metal: You will never stop me, I will never cease pursuing you to the end!

Sonic: Metal, this is crazy - you'll destroy both of us!

Metal: [the camera does a close-up, the flames of the wreckage reflected in his eyes] So be it - my sole purpose in destroying you will finally be fulfilled!

As the two square off, some of the collapsing wreckage above them shifts to reveal a faint glimmer of sunlight - the two stare sideways at each other for second before zooming forwards towards the opening through the exploding wreckage for one final race.... which would be the final, playable boss fight, in the same vein as their Sonic CD race.

Assuming Sonic wins, he reaches the opening to safety first - only to have Metal Sonic grab his leg at the last second to pull him back into the flaming pit with him:

Metal: You cannot deny me my destiny! I will fulfill my purpose as the one true Sonic, and you will be destroyed - an inferior copy!

Sonic: [suddenly seeing something ahead] That's the difference between you and me - the one thing I have that you can never copy - [grabs an outstretched arm... the other characters have formed a chain to reach him through the opening] - friends.

Sonic is pulled free while Metal Sonic plunges into the molten collapsing wreckage (almost certainly with a dramatic 'No') - cue celebration with friends and something about the REAL SUPERPOWER OF TEAMWORK!!! (c) SEGA

You know, I took some cold medication halfway through writing this and I'm now actually not sure whether this is more or less cheesy than the original...

• Thumbs Up 7

Sonic Unleashed. Just have the final boss take place outside of the planet's atmosphere instead of inside of it. Huge missed opportunity having Super Sonic fly around the globe you helped fix. Also, dashing around effortlessly makes Sonic suuuuuperfast, bro.

liek this college educated diagram i made

Spoiler

1MmNyP8.png

• Thumbs Up 7

2 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

Sonic Unleashed. Just have the final boss take place outside of the planet's atmosphere instead of inside of it. Huge missed opportunity having Super Sonic fly around the globe you helped fix. Also, dashing around effortlessly makes Sonic suuuuuperfast, bro.

liek this college educated diagram i made

Hide contents

1MmNyP8.png

I think my favorite part would be fighting the sample text.

I think I see the silhouette of the REAL villain.

They're all very small changes but I've got quite a few.

In Sonic 2006, I felt it'd have been more poignant to have the credits follow the fade to black when Elise blows out the candle, then have the scene with Sonic arriving in Solenna in the rewritten timeline after the credits.

In Sonic 4, it'd have been neat if we hadn't been completely and utterly left hanging on the Death Egg/Miracle Planet thing.

In Sonic 2 on Master System, in the Good Ending specifically, Sonic stops at the end on top of one of the tiny dips in the path, floating in the air slightly.

yqL2mA.png

It drives me slightly crazy considering these dips are not present in the Bad Ending.

In Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity, it turns out the Babylonian people are birds descended from genies descended from aliens from outer space. Instead, I think that should have not happened.

Finally, in Sonic Colours on DS, during the very final epilogue cut-scene, this song does not play:

I found this very confusing as without this music I assumed either a cut-scene wasn't happening or my DS was somehow malfunctioning.  This music greatly enhanced all other of the 278 cut-scenes that it played in and never ever got annoying, and having the final, true ending epilogue not include it after the regular ending made sure to was frankly a slap in the face for all my hard work collecting the emeralds and beating up Yacker's mom.

• Thumbs Up 4

Sonic Colors:

(Terminal Velocity)

SONIC isn't fast enough to run away from the black hole.

SONIC dies.

-Fade to black-

-End of the scene-

(Downtown Station Square)

Newspaper headline: SONIC IS DEAD.

(Cemitery of Station Square)

There are a lot of people and general comotion. SONIC'S FRIENDS carries his coffin to the open grave. AMY ROSE is crying.

TAILS sobs: he didn't go fast enough...

As the coffin goes down, people starts shouting: -SONIC! -GO SONIC! -SOONIC! -YEAH, SONIC!

-Coffin enters the grave-

TAILS and KNUCKLES walk away.

AMY ROSE picks up some dirt from the ground. AMY ROSE then drops the dirt on top of the coffin.

-Close up on the coffin-

-The coffin trembles, the dirt starts floating-

-Screen goes black-

-End of the scene-

DIRECTED BY ZACK SNYDER.

-Roll credits-

Shadow actually stays dead after SA2

You know that thing where ShTH was made basically to close off the character arc they'd spent the better part of a whole console generation building up, and then made the most important line in the game only occur several minutes after most people will have already killed the final boss? Yeah, let's not do that. Make Eggman say it beforehand while Shadow's chasing Doom through the Black Comet. Or after the boss as a reward, or during it as motivation. Just put it somewhere where a non-masochistic player will actually fucking hear it. For that matter, it would be nice if they wrapped up exactly how Shadow ended up joining GUN in a similar fashion, because to this day it kinda beggars belief that Shadow is apparently perfectly fine with working for the same organization that's directly responsible for murdering his creator and his childhood friend.

Another thought for Generations - most people pick on the final boss because Time Eater kinda has a crap leitmotif compared to the rest of the OST and Sonic's friends won't shut the fuck up, but I also think that fighting it in a generic void was kind of a missed opportunity? The game's a celebration of Sonic history, so it would've been nice to see chunks of previous stages floating about, even ones big enough for small setpieces to happen as you pass through (like the platforming interludes in the Dark Gaia fight). Or hell, even have the final boss take place in White Space itself, and have Time Eater revert the restored scenery back to white as you go so it feels like there's actually something at stake. also whose idea was it to use the Sonic 4 theme for the final blow anyway

• Thumbs Up 6

If I could re-write the ending to a Sonic game, I would change the ending to Sonic 2 on the Master System/Game Gear. Nothing major. I'd simply swap the endings, so the bad ending is the good ending. Why? Because the music is better and Tails is dead.

son2no-11.gif

rip gone 2 soon

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd like to redo Lost World's story entirely, but for now I'll just share my idea for the ending.

The Deadly Six are with Sonic and Tails after their defeat in Lava Mountain Zones 1-3. When Eggman shows up in his Egg Emperor MK II (my name for the mech), he starts beating the crap out of the Zeti- squashing them with his giant hands, tossing them around like ragdolls, and blasting them with lasers. He then reveals that he had been manipulating Sonic and Tails the whole time, but before he uses his mech to conquer Mobius Sonic's World, he's going to make good on the threats he made in Frozen Factory by destroying the Lost Hex! As he flies off, Zavok approaches Sonic and Tails and tells them that they now all share a common enemy, and the eight of them join forces to save both their worlds from Eggman. So instead of teaming up with Eggman to stop the Monsters of the Week, Sonic is now teaming up with the Monsters of the Week to stop Eggman!

The final battle involves Sonic racing across all of the Zones while battling Eggman, starting at Lava Mountain and ending at Windy Hill, and he's constantly switching between 2D and 3D perspectives. As he dodges attacks, Robo-Tails and the Zeti keep popping up and hitting the mech, leaving it open to Sonic's Homing Attacks. And just like Colors, Sonic is gradually collecting Wisps to finish the boss off with a Final Color Blaster!

In the end, the mech is destroyed, sending Eggman careening into Sonic's World. Tails reverses the energy-sucking machine and restores his world. The Zeti then deroboticize Tails and tell him and Sonic to leave the Lost Hex. Their truce is over, and the next time they meet, the Zeti will destroy them and all they hold dear. Sonic and Tails return home with all the rescued animals in tow. They reunite with Knuckles and Amy, Sonic tells them he's going to listen to them from now on instead of blindly rushing into action all the time, and they all live happily ever after until the next game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Something that does piss me off about Gammas ending is that he was destroyed in a really cliche, last breath shot by Beta. It was clear that he intended on destroying himself as the last E-series robot, and it should have followed through. I think the ending would make much more of an impact if (after Gamma destroyed Beta) he'd look down at Beta and, with as much emotion as possible, say "I have fulfilled my... purpose" and then shoot himself. Then the rest of the ending follows as usual.

My main change would be to change the Sonic Chronicles ending, into an actual ending and not an irritating cliffhanger that will never be solved. Either by extending the game, or having some kind of montage at the end. I hate it when there's no closure on these endings. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Lucid Dream said:

Something that does piss me off about Gammas ending is that he was destroyed in a really cliche, last breath shot by Beta. It was clear that he intended on destroying himself as the last E-series robot, and it should have followed through. I think the ending would make much more of an impact if (after Gamma destroyed Beta) he'd look down at Beta and, with as much emotion as possible, say "I have fulfilled my... purpose" and then shoot himself. Then the rest of the ending follows as usual.

A bit dark for a Sonic game but I agree with the sentiment.  I think instead it would have worked for him to go through his memory banks again, listing off the E-Series robots he had destroyed before eventually concluding with "one unit remains", flashing an image of himself.  Rather than shooting himself, it could remain first person and flash up a self-destruct sequence, which steadily counts down and then he explodes... hopefully in a less ridiculously overboard manner where it doesn't seem like the scene is more about the other Flicky desperately trying to outfly the explosion than Gamma's death lol.

For extra tearjerker points, we could throw in a brief flash of Amy and have him say "until... we meet... again".

• Thumbs Up 5

Shadow dies in SA2 for real (no Sonic Heroes to save him), and when he is falling, he sees Maria in a white light smiling giving him a hand, Shadow closes his eyes reaching her hand,  the screen goes full white, and the next scene is people on Earth celebrating.

Shadow the Hedgehog (the game) never existed. Bittersweet ending.

It would take more than rewriting the ending to make it work, but ShtH should've had multiple true endings. At the very least a conclusive evil ending where, I dunno, Shadow fights Black Doom for control of the Black Arms, and uses them to rule the world or something. Even if it obviously wouldn't be the canon ending, at least it would commit to the game's premise of letting you choose between good and evil. Also an ending, or a choice separate from the good/evil axis, to have Shadow turn out to be a robot.

• Thumbs Up 3

Shadow dies for real at the end of his own game. "Twice is the Charm..." are the last words. 

Colors features the planets being restored after relocation, if one has all Chaos Emeralds. Then we see the Cannon still intact... 

Lost World is revealed to be a dream of Eggman while inside white space. "What am I even doing...?" He then smashes the floor in desperation, and finds a room with an exit, and the two Eggmen open the door to reveal the cockpit of a new mech. Through its eyes, we see a city below them, and the silhouette of an unfamiliar Mobian...

4 hours ago, gracias por nada said:

At the end of his game, it's revealed that

Reveal hidden contents

Shadow is Maria Robotnik.

:lol:

/fanbaseimplodes

Sonic Battle actually confirms this in the end of Shadows story. Shadow has Maria's soul and her personality. 

Here's how I think Shadow the hedgehog could have ended...

Spoiler

After completing all of the endings and selecting the last story; there is an ominous montage of key moments from the multiple storylines of the game with many lines being played alongside it....

I am Shadow the hedgehog

A research experiment gone deadly wrong

Born and raised aboard the ark

Born to protect and serve the dark lord

Created by Eggman

I and only I know what's best

I have created so much destruction, I should never have been created

No one's telling me what to do!

A copy of Shadow the hedgehog

Wait...

No one's telling me what to do!

Guardian of the ark

The ark will fall

Androids will rule

That's not right...

No one is telling me what to do!

That gruesome image

Never forget that horrifying image

Why are you siding with them?

Have you forgotten it was my grandfather who created you?

I made you...and this is how you repay me?

You are a part of me

That's not right...

With the power of these emeralds

Black Doom and his army are finished

This planet will become the dark empire

This doesn't make sense...

I'm going to conquer the universe

I'm going to destroy this damn planet

No one is telling me what to do!

THIS is who I-

"WHAT!?"

Shadow regains awareness and finds himself standing above a beaten Sonic with all 7 Chaos Emeralds, Black Doom then thanks him for delivering the emeralds to him.

From here,it is revealed that Shadow was abducted and brainwashed after his first encounter with Black Doom and has been under mind control ever since, a majority of the stories in the game were figments of Shadow's mind with only bits and pieces of reality slipping through.

When he confronts Black Doom as he did in the original game; Shadow breaks down; not knowing what had and hadn't happened, although he slowly pieces it together that he had travelled to Westopolis, Glyphic Canyon, Sky Troops, Air Fleet, Space Gadget and the Black Comet.

The recording of Gerald then plays and the game ends like it originally did, I just think that this idea covers issues such as Shadow's multiple origins, Black Doom's inconsistent power, the Ark time travel/flashback level, heck! Even Shadow's use of both hero and villain energy in the true ending! 

I think this ending would work well because it gives Shadow a much better reason to leave his past behind, he's seen so many versions of what could have happened that he could never stomach another one.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic 4 Episode 2's "we're definitely doing a third one guys!" ending. Don't act like you're doing Episode 3 when everyone damn well knew you hadn't started developing it yet. I liked episode 2 better, but they reaaally seemed over confident and jumping the gun by doing the whole Little Planet stuck in the Death Egg thing. Ideal ending:

GdQ5jea.jpg

"Everything's cool, forget we did this whole mediocre, disjointed episodic mess."

I don't think these games are terrible, but hoooo boy were they poorly planned.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 07/01/2017 at 4:54 PM, Lucid Dream said:

Sonic Battle actually confirms this in the end of Shadows story. Shadow has Maria's soul and her personality. 

Shadow has her personality? ...Man, she must have been one depressing kid.