Awoo.

How would you change Sonic's role in 06?

ShadowSJG

So in Sonic 06, I think a lot of us can agree that Sonic and to an extent, Knuckles and Tails had very little importance/minor role in the game despite being the titular character. I was wondering, how would you fix his role and I guess Knuckles and Tails's roles as well to make them more plot heavy/related to the main conflict of the story?

I'd say it's as simple as having Sonic get more involved in Shadow and Silver's stories more; like asking Shadow why did someone that looked like him sent Silver to kill him or heck, Silver tags along with Sonic to stop Eggman to be absolutely sure that Sonic saves Elise.

But the story itself is pretty messy so I doubt this would be enough to solve it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Have him kill Elise. Or Silver can kill Elise. Whatever, she just needs to die as early as possible. Bam, worst part of the story eliminated.

And then change the entire story into something else completely. Have the story be written adequately, and put a focus on Sonic (so we don't have to play Silver). Try to keep some of Shadows story though, because it was actually decent. 

Now, it'll be more tolerable. 

The amount of ideas I have for fixing Sonic's role (and 06's story in general) would be far too long for me to post right now, but it's more or less what Falcon says. Now if you want me to post the entire thing, gimme a while and I'll probably get something down.

A'ight, so.

The scene is set. I'm there in a dusty old SEGA storage cabinet. I've been tasked with writing a story for 2006's big new Sonic game. I have like, 5 hours to do it (you can't tell me the actual writer had any longer, c'mon). 

I pick up the pen.

...Then put it back down, and choose to live another day with dignity. Because the story was so necessary and they can't find anyone else, SEGA cancel Sonic 06, and the world is saved.

And that is how I would re-write Sonic's role in 06. By accepting that 06's story is utterly pants and by the time I'm done re-writing it, let alone Sonic's role, it's not going to be 06, is it? 

• Thumbs Up 3

I think Sonic's story could be salvaged by(and stick with me on this) maybe emphasizing his relationship with Elise more and fleshing it out. Maybe not have her get kidnapped so much, and have it so Sonic simple has to help her get somewhere. Have Sonic underestimate her abilities and get consistently surprised as the two bond a little bit. Then, when Memphis kills sonic(assuming we're still going through with that instead of rewriting the whole thing.) and Elise cries it has some more weight. Maybe. 

This doesn't solve the problem of him being more "involved" in the story aka he doesn't fuck around with Mephistopheles , but I think Sonic actually being a stronger character and interacting with more characters is more important.

Funny thing is that, if Sonic hadn't bothered going to rescue Elise in the first place, Eggman, being unable to unlock the Flames of Disaster within Elise, probably would've just gotten fed up, ransomed her off back to her kingdom and that would've been that.

Sooooooo.......

The way the story of Sonic 06 is split between the 3 hedgehogs is like, ... 

Sonic the Hedgehog's story centers around the current events happening in the present, Dr. Eggman capturing Princess Elise III in order to unlock the power of the Flames of Disaster in order to gain control of time, and Sonic trying to save her and the two grow close in the process. 

Shadow the Hedgehog's story center around the origins of the current events tracing back 10 years in the past, as he has to face his own shadow and inner-demons in the form of the corrupt consciousness of Solaris, Mephiles the Dark, and prove once and for all that he will never turn back. 

Silver the Hedgehog's story centers around trying to prevent and undo the outcome of the current events that will result in the apocalypse 200 years in the future, as he trravels through time to in order to find a way to defeat Iblis the Flames of Disaster once and for all. 

To make Sonic's story appear more important and revelant, you just have to expand on the fact that Sonic's story is the center of the entire narrative. It's the PRESENT. Shadow deals with past mistakes and Silver deals with future outcomes, but Sonic is in the HERE AND NOW. The Flames of Disaster that will burn away at the world in the future is currently sealed within Elise, and Eggman is trying to unleash it. Sonic and Elise are supposed to grow closer and closer through the story, so that should be expanded on, but most importantly, the fact that the flames are inside Elise should be vastly expanded on and maybe a little tweaked so that it comes into play and Iblis is nearly awakened a few times during moments when Elise is very emotional. Like, maybe Elise should be like a pyrokinetic with no control over their flames at all during a few parts of the story. Like, have Eggman actually try to unleash the flames from Elise instead of just talking about it all the time. 

Shadow's story has the bond between Team Dark further developed, and Silver's story sort of develops Silver and Blaze's teamwork and stuff, and even Amy has a few character-centric moments. So in Sonic's story, Tails and Knuckles should have their own character arcs in relation to Sonic and stuff as well. Like, for example, have Tails' independence further developed to show that he's truly growing into being Sonic's equal partner and no longer just a sidekick, he's becoming more of a hero in his own right and doing things on his own and being someone Sonic can rely on. For Knuckles, uh... hmm... maybe have the reason he came to Soleanna be because of the Master Emerald acting strange and responding to something down in the city. Like, the Master Emerald was ... "resonating?" with the power of Solaris and the space-time anomalies that are occuring, and Knuckles came down to investigate. Maybe make use of his role as Sonic's Friendly Rival and have him 'compete' with Sonic to some degree while also helping him stop Eggman and save Elise. 

That's all I got for now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Uhhh, no offense, but aren't Sonic 06 topics usually not allowed. aside from the main topic? are we living in some alternate timeline where the rule was never set? well i guess i'll go and add my two cents before it gets inevitably locked, 

Sonic 06's story in general is so broken as a concept, that it is practically impossible to fix without completely starting over from the beginning.

Sonic's story was not the broken one in my opinion, (Aside from Elise.) it was Shadow and Silver's stories that were broken as hell.

Sonic's story was more Stop Eggman from unleashing the Flames of Disaster. 

It was Shadow and Silver's stories that were fucked. both sharing a story that was almost completely different from Sonic's Plot. Seriously it felt like the two were completely different things at one point, but then to save money, SEGA or Sonic Team decided to merge the stories together, creating a crapton of plotholes and stupid plot devices in the process. (That's just my opinion though.)

Not to beat a dead horse any more than is needed, but...

On 1/7/2017 at 1:41 PM, Falcon said:

The story is so fundamentally broken that you would have to rewrite the entire script and scenario.

...yeah, this.

I think the core problems regarding Sonic feeling irrelevant in '06 are that his story is mostly stuck in a loop of rescuing and losing Elise, and that he never actually interacts with the real villain or his plans until literally the last boss fight.

The former means that it feels like no progress is being made. In any other game, some clear amount of progress is made with almost every level, whether it's some completing some specific story event, collecting some trinket like an emerald, or at least moving one step closer to the villain's lair. But Sonic's story in '06 just repeats the same problem and the same return to the status quo. Having Elise die during the last kidnapping is the only attempt to break that cycle, but it doesn't work for several reasons: it's still about saving a kidnapped Elise and the player is plenty fatigued on that by then, they failed to make Elise a character you'd care enough about to be bothered by her death, and the game had already fully established the use of time travel meaning it was obviously not going to last.

The latter means that Sonic has no personal connection or stake in what's really the meat of the story. I think Sonic sees Mephiles all of once in the entire game (and I'm not counting the scene where he gets shot in the back), never talks to him, and never learns anything about what Solaris is or why it's shown up. He just wakes up in Super form and fights the final boss because he's obligated to. All the time in his story spend chasing or fighting Eggman doesn't matter, because Eggman himself doesn't matter in '06's story. At most he's just there to set off a few early events and perpetually kidnap Elise so Sonic could bond with her. And that bonding with Elise thing is about as close to relevant as anything in Sonic's story gets, but again that fails for several reasons: it's not the kind of story people want to see from Sonic (and certainly not carrying the character's entire story), it's terribly executed so practically no one cared about or bought into their relationship, and all it does is set Sonic up to be sacrificed, treating him like a tool to move the plot along rather than a participant in it.

Fixing these problems alone would require massive rewrites, and that's not even getting into Tails and Knuckles' irrelevance, or all the other problems with the game's story. So I feel pretty confident in saying the game's story isn't worth salvaging, and given the option it'd always be better to just write something new than to try to fix '06.

• Thumbs Up 3