Jump to content
Awoo.

The uncut sonic ova. just what was editited?


Meta77
 Share

Recommended Posts

People have said for years there is an uncut version of the sonic ova. I have the vhs and dvds copy both are the same but reading of things people say we're censored I don't see them cut? Sonic still flips off Eggman and tails still gets some handfuls of chest marshmallows.  so was anything cut actually? Also anyone know of places to hunt down the Japanese vhs copies of the movie. I want to collect them

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IIRC, only the 1999 VHS version got edited. Off the top of my head and some research...

  • There's a scene when Sara is beastfeeding Robotnik's children in a daydream, as well as pregnant with another one of his children.
  • A scene where Robotnik was groping Sara after Sonic trashes the Metal Robotnik mech
  • The scene where Metal Sonic is looking up Sara's dress, and Sonic can see it due to his link with Metal, as well as Sonic's landing on the ship.
  • During the snowball scene, Tails is hanging onto Sara for safety, and accidentally hangs onto her breasts, which led to Knuckles thinking he was doing it on purpose.
  • The Sonic flipping off scene

There was two VHS releases, one which had the edits (the original 1999 cut) and then the VHS and DVD version that had all of the movie intact, and the one that Sonic fans generally know today.

  • Thumbs Up 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

There was two VHS releases, one which had the edits (the original 1999 cut) and then the VHS and DVD version that had all of the movie intact, and the one that Sonic fans generally know today.

As I recall, when ADV was originally released it on VHS, it came in separate dubbed and subtitled versions and the first DVD printing was unedited since it was a hybrid disc that supported both languages. ADV did a second printing which was a re-issue of this release. EDIT: The only notable change in that release was Knuckles no longer says "Shit!" when he gets stuck in subtitled version.

I don't have a VCR set up to actually inspect my VHS (which was from the original printing), but I actually don't recall those edits existing at all. And I have the second DVD printing and it's, to my knowledge, uncut as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Zaysho said:

As I recall, when ADV was originally released it on VHS, it came in separate dubbed and subtitled versions and the first DVD printing was unedited since it was a hybrid disc that supported both languages. ADV did a second printing which was a re-issue of this release.

I don't have a VCR set up to actually inspect my VHS (which was from the original printing), but I actually don't recall those edits existing at all. And I have the second DVD printing and it's, to my knowledge, uncut as well.

Well, keep in mind I don't have it on VHS or DVD (it's gone somewhat rare in the UK to my knowledge) but that's why my research said.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Well, keep in mind I don't have it on VHS or DVD (it's gone somewhat rare in the UK to my knowledge) but that's why my research said.

No, I understand. I've read about the same exact edits, and I honestly have no recollection of them. If ADV did release an edited VHS early on, I never saw it (and no release was marked at "Edited" or "Uncut" to my knowledge). I might try to dig out a VCR and scrub through my tape later to confirm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've heard about Sonic's middle finger to Metal Robotnik being edited to be his index finger instead but I've never once seen any variant myself, and I'm struggling to believe the idea that they actually went back and redrew the hand anyway.

In fact, I've yet to see any evidence of this "edited version" at all aside from the various places that claim it exists in the first place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Like others, my VHS version has everything intact. Do we even know this other one exists? I've heard that certain things were censored but, yeah, I've never seen that version.

Seems fishy, but knowing how rare both the VHS and especially the DVDs are, I wouldn't doubt it. Just need proof.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Person said:

Like others, my VHS version has everything intact. Do we even know this other one exists? I've heard that certain things were censored but, yeah, I've never seen that version.

Seems fishy, but knowing how rare both the VHS and especially the DVDs are, I wouldn't doubt it. Just need proof.

That's me pretty much. Was it something done just for a certain region as all I've ever seen is the uncut it seems. Not that I'm complaining

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It seems the censorship is a rumor that has been spread around like wildfire, and believed to be true because of it. I found probably the most reliable source from SonicRetro that is confirmed by what @Zaysho said above.

Quote

Trivia & Censorship

  • In the original Japanese version, Sara refers affectionately to Knuckles as Mr. Mole (モグラちゃん, mogura-chan,) when he saves her, presumably as a joke because she does not know what sort of animal Knuckles is. This occurs only once, but was correctly translated, and so is present in the English translation.
  • The only actual censorship in the film is the omittance of quite a few curse words which were present in the Japanese version, but were replaced with more mild-sounding language in the English version.
  • A soundtrack for the film was to be released but was canceled due to the series' lack of popularity.
  • Although according to the official Japanese trailer (which can be found on the Sonic Jam compilation), the OVA was released on May 31st, 1996, the History of Sonic the Hedgehog gallery (also available on Sonic Jam) states that it was released in January 1996, which the March 1996 issue of DieHard Gamefan magazine, featuring a short review of the Japanese version of the anime, seems to confirm.

Source: http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_(anime)

  • Thumbs Up 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I never owned a copy, but I borrowed a friend's copy once, and I do not recall those edits.

But regardless, every edition is sadly out of print, and who knows when, or if we'll see another release? Stranger things have happened, though; some dubs that were long thought to be lost were rescued in the past, so who knows?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also don't think the edited version actually exists, since again, there's no comparison shots or video shots of the alleged censored version.  Also, I don't really think the flipping the bird scene was actually intended to be Sonic flipping the bird, given the position of his finger-

sonic-ova-sonic-middle-finger-o.gif

-it looks more like his index finger, which is a pretty obscene "up yours" sort of gesture, but not comparable to the middle finger.  However, the picture quality makes it pretty easy to misinterpret it as a middle finger in the same way that it's pretty easy to misinterpret Knuckles' attack grunts as him saying "shit" in Heroes.  Basically, it's the power of suggestion.  I've seen the scene in the gif above as "evidence" of the supposed edit since the late 90's, despite the two scenes being identical in both versions of the film.  Compare with this edited version which puts his fingers in the correct position:

sonic_says_by_hafu_inuyasha-d32lk9d.jpg

You see my point, though.  They probably didn't edit this scene, because there was nothing to edit.  It's just his index finger, which is rude, but not enough to warrant editing out.

7 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

The only actual censorship in the film is the omittance of quite a few curse words which were present in the Japanese version, but were replaced with more mild-sounding language in the English version.

That's not really even censorship as much as linguistic license.  Different languages don't translate so literally that one word means specifically another word in English and not its synonyms.  Like, for example, I've often been told by weeaboos that the Japanese word "baka" means "fools," not "idiot," which is a very shallow and surface level understanding of how language works.  The word refers to a person or thing lacking intelligence, so the word "fool," "idiot," "stupid," and even "dumbass" among others translate pretty much just as accurately.  The choice of which word to use boils down largely to the personality of the characters and which word they are more likely to use. (A wise, elderly person might say "fools" while a blunt, sarcastic might say "dumbass")

But I'm just being pedantic so I'm sure what that entry means is that in the Japanese version, the choice of language is more vulgar by Japanese standards, whereas the dub wouldn't stir quite the same connotation.  But, again, that's not really censorship.

  • Thumbs Up 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Tara said:

That's not really even censorship as much as linguistic license.  Different languages don't translate so literally that one word means specifically another word in English and not its synonyms.  Like, for example, I've often been told by weeaboos that the Japanese word "baka" means "fools," not "idiot," which is a very shallow and surface level understanding of how language works.  The word refers to a person or thing lacking intelligence, so the word "fool," "idiot," "stupid," and even "dumbass" among others translate pretty much just as accurately.  The choice of which word to use boils down largely to the personality of the characters and which word they are more likely to use. (A wise, elderly person might say "fools" while a blunt, sarcastic might say "dumbass")

But I'm just being pedantic so I'm sure what that entry means is that in the Japanese version, the choice of language is more vulgar by Japanese standards, whereas the dub wouldn't stir quite the same connotation.  But, again, that's not really censorship.

Well, that's SonicRetro's wording, not mine :P 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am 99% sure the breastfeeding edit is a real thing, my video version has her covered up but I've seen screenshots online of the version where she's got that ole tiddy out (obviously the baby's head is blocking it).  But both Tails latching onto Sera's chest and Metal seeing up Sera's skirt and her accusing him of being a pervert happens in the video version, they'd have to cut entire shots to get rid of those.

The middle finger thing was absolutely a rumour getting blown up and various photoshop jobs compounding it.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

vlcsnap-2017-01-09-18h20m27s264.png

vlcsnap-2017-01-09-18h22m00s128.png

vlcsnap-2017-01-09-18h22m03s605.png

vlcsnap-2017-01-09-18h22m16s334.png

vlcsnap-2017-01-09-18h22m19s143.png

vlcsnap-2017-01-09-18h22m24s117.png

vlcsnap-2017-01-09-18h23m32s874.png

I tried to capture most things different from the english version like metal robotnik being called black eggman. And love how sarah smiles at tails in a innocent way while he is latched on. Honestly this series deserved to well....be a series.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.