Awoo.

Scalebound is Cancelled

Zippo

I was sort of thinking of about this when I noticed we weren't getting updates about the game. But I'm really surprised that it looks like they decided to pull the plug off on this.

And to tell the truth maybe it was for the better. The premise was good, but nothing that was shown about the game showed it.

To me at least it looked uninspiring and bland.

TO be honest as much as I love Kamiya's other games I didn't like the look of this, and subsequent showings never made it look better. I'd rather them focus on something that will turn out great than this.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know, this doesn't make a lot of sense; it's not like we never heard of the game in years (unlike Phantom Dust), we got a demo last E3 that looked solid enough. Plus, Microsoft pushed for this in their project of building new IPs, and i mean, if they let stuff like Quantum Break to the end, i don't see why they had to cancel this.

It's never made a particularly great impression with what they've shown so far, so I could see this happening for that reason. I'd feel bad for Platinum if it was the case, though.

6 minutes ago, El Driver said:

Yep, wow, imagine waking up to this news out of nowhere. I was following it since the rumor popped up, but imagine being an XBO owner and being super hyped, only to see "Scalebound cancelled" on GAF (as it's titled now). I feel bad for those fans, and especially Kamiya and crew who apparently had/have to take time off due to pressure/mental health issues. :(

• Thumbs Up 2

Hope it isn't.

But anyone wanna take bets that Crackdown 3 is the next to go?

• Thumbs Up 2

This sucks. This game was pretty much one of if not the only reason I was thinking of sticking with my Xbone. Now this is cancelled what is there really, to make you want an xbone other than multiplats?

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Remy said:

This sucks. This game was pretty much one of if not the only reason I was thinking of sticking with my Xbone. Now this is cancelled what is there really, to make you want an xbone other than multiplats?

Halo Wars, Crackdown, State of Decay, Sea of Thieves, Killer Instinct is still happening, Forza and Halo are always mainstays. Oh yeah, and Cuphead.

Hope it isn't.

I'm pretty sure it isn't just because it's something that Microsoft keeps talking about.

Scalebound on the other hand has been on radio silence for a long time. And even the few times we saw it in action it was sort of put on the spotlight but was quickly set aside to talk about something else.

I'm guessing the game was not meeting expectations from Microsoft or Platinum. Originally when they were first pitching the project they did have trouble of generating interest in the first place.

This is from the Eurogamer article:

Scalebound was last seen in public back at Gamescom 2016 in August. Since then, the relationship between Microsoft and Osaka-based developer Platinum Games dramatically soured.

Work on the game took a serious knock last autumn, Eurogamer sources say, when several senior members of the development team were forced to take a month away from the pressure of the project's heavy workload.

These project members then returned, but Scalebound was now behind schedule. With continuing issues surrounding the game's engine and overdue deadlines, the decision was made that the project could no longer continue.

1 hour ago, Mayor D said:

Hope it isn't.

Apparently development is nearly complete on that one, with Scorpio enhancements.

Well it being canceled is no surprise.  it looked  bland and the hero was eh. You got to make one based on what will excite fans like neirs has lol

That's too bad. I know a lot of people were down on it, but it was one of the games making me interested in and Xbox One.

41 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

zKNLAKB.png

Damn, and people laughed at the Sony 09 conference.

Project Spark was announced in 2013 and did release in 2014. Though, its servers were shut down late last year.

57 minutes ago, Remy said:

Same. I don't care for Microsoft exclusives outside of Halo and Sunset Overdrive. It's nothing but a doorstop now. I'm trading it in. 

So that's one less reason for me to consider getting an xbone then. Too bad about Scalebound while I wasn't completely sold I'd still held out hope they'd end up with something great.

Edit: Okay take this with a grain of salt:

Q5EzNi6.png

But if true... shit.

Not gonna lie, this honestly really sucks even though the footage really wasn't selling me on it I was certain that it'd probably be better after it was all finished and we finally got a look at the near finished product and it being a platinum game makes this even worse especially for kamiya who hasn't actually been in charge of his own project for a while now (since Bayonetta 1 I think). I guess if there is one positive about this its that I don't have much reason to rush out and get an XONE anymore.

Everything I've heard about what happened to this project basically boils down to "Microsoft are a great big bag of dicks". Unreasonable deadlines, withholding payments for a whole year, creative clashes and inability to compromise in order to actually get the game running on the Xbone... A similar situation went down with the Phantom Dust reboot.

Basically, MS are incapable of working with independent studios in a reasonable manner. There was no way even Platinum could salvage this project with that kind of nonsense going on during development.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bummer, I was planning on finally dropping the $$$ on an Xbox1 when this game released. Looked like the perfect game I could play online with my bro.

Aww well. Platinum will find work elsewhere. Shame this one won't see the light of day though. What are the odds this one gets the Bayo 2 treatment and picked up and funded by another one of the major publishers out there?

16 hours ago, Candescence said:

Everything I've heard about what happened to this project basically boils down to "Microsoft are a great big bag of dicks". Unreasonable deadlines, withholding payments for a whole year, creative clashes and inability to compromise in order to actually get the game running on the Xbone... A similar situation went down with the Phantom Dust reboot.

Basically, MS are incapable of working with independent studios in a reasonable manner. There was no way even Platinum could salvage this project with that kind of nonsense going on during development.

Do you have a source for these actually? You got me curious since I haven't heard any of that so far.

Official statement from Platinum doesn't say much, but here it is.

We’re sorry to say that on January 9, 2017, Microsoft Studios announced the cancellation of Scalebound. We are very disappointed things ended up this way, especially since we know many of our fans were looking forward to this game as much as we were.

Going forward, we will strive to continue delivering high-quality games to you, starting with NieR:Automata in March, and including products like GRANBLUE FANTASY Project Re:Link and LOST ORDER in the future.

We will keep working hard to meet your expectations and we look forward to your continued support!

President and CEO
Kenichi Sato