Awoo.

Splatoon 2 (Summer 2017)

Meta77

Was it just me or do I sense a grander story this time from what the trailer showed. The character which i think is one of the sisters with their backs turned has me excited. I can not wait to hear more about it.

C2BidB6W8AEE9eU-501x300.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

Hey, squid lovers. We here at the Squid Research Lab have unearthed new video footage of new Inkling specimens. They seem to be related to the Inkling species we’ve observed before, but they  appear to have new abilities and visual styles, as seen at the Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017 in Japan. We’ll continue to bring you our findings on this new phenomenon, but for now please watch this video

C2BidB6W8AEE9eU.jpg:large

Here's a bigger image in case people wanted a new wallpaper.

New Information from US Tumblr and Treehouse:

tumblr_ojpb59ovc91u3akyno1_1280.jpg

EUREKA! We have discovered the existence of Splatoon 2, a brand-new Splatoon game for Nintendo Switch! This may very well be the most important discovery in the history of squid science! Incidentally, Splatoon 2 was also announced at the ongoing Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017 in Japan, BUT WE DISCOVERED IT FIRST! Anyway, we’ll once again be firing up the ol’ research machine here at the Squid Research Lab, so watch this space for in-depth reporting of our Splatoon 2 research findings! 

tumblr_ojpmy8zB381u3akyno1_540.jpgtumblr_ojpmy8zB381u3akyno2_540.jpgtumblr_ojpmy8zB381u3akyno3_540.jpg

The Squid Research Lab can confirm that Inkopolis Plaza is no longer the central hub of Inkling culture. Apparently a new location within Inkopolis known as “Inkopolis Square” is now the most popular area for young Inklings. Many new businesses have opened shop in Inkopolis Square, and it is only two subway stations away from Inkopolis Plaza. We at the Squid Research Lab were surprised to learn that the center of Inkling culture has changed locations in such a short amount of time, but perhaps there is something to be learned about the Inkling way of life in all this. Or maybe we’re just thinking about it too hard.

tumblr_ojppevuM9i1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

A Squid Research Lab special report:
As we suspected, Turf War is still the most popular sport among Inklings. The basic rules of this sport remain the same–two teams of four Inklings compete to cover the largest area of ground with their ink color within the allotted time. Inklings still eat, sleep, and breathe Turf War, and the sport still drives the direction of fashion, art, and language for Inkling culture.

tumblr_ojppgiYIk61u3akyno1_540.jpgtumblr_ojppgiYIk61u3akyno2_540.jpg

We have found photographic evidence of one of the new battle stages in Splatoon 2. Inklings call this new area “The Reef”, presumably because it’s a popular area to hang out when it’s not being used for Turf War. The Reef is located a few blocks from Inkopolis Square, and it’s home to some of the most popular boutique shops in the city.

tumblr_ojppiu2s2O1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

Our research indicates that the mid-battle stage map has changed a bit. Apparently Inklings can press the X Button to view the map at any time during a battle. Once the map is open, they can then press the directional buttons and the A Button to Super Jump to a teammate. Each teammate is assigned to a different directional button, as is the spawn point. The map also features a cursor that can be moved by tilting the controller.

Thanks for the extra info. I planned to update tonight after work but been behind trying to update news on my website for the switch lol

• Thumbs Up 1

C2F5zP6UkAApyF5.png:large

New Information from the Nintendo Treehouse Presentation and Japanese Splatoon Twitter.

C2FwsnaUoAACu8v.jpg

One new weapon class that debuts in Splatoon 2 is called the "Splat Dualies".

These are 2 guns that have their own reticle. They also allow Inklings to perform a dodge roll. After dodge rolling, the reticles become one, adding more power to the shot.

C2FzJkzVIAQT9cO.jpg

Splat Rollers return with a new ability.

Inklilngs can now fling ink vertically, for a long distance paint line.

C2FzrLSVIAA-DzC.jpg

Splat Chargers have also been upgraded.

Inklings can now hold the charge before firing.

C2F0nKSUUAATGHp.jpg

Nothing new about Splattershots have been revealed.

C2F2bJtVQAE-tWj.jpg

The "Tenta Missiles" Special fires 4 homing missiles at 4 targets.

C2F3tRRUUAAdpYV.jpg

This special is called the "Stingray" and fires a ink hose that can reach long distances and hit Inklings from behind walls. However, turning while firing it is slow.

C2F5CB_VQAAEN9l.jpg

The "Inkjet" Special allows Inklings to fly and shot down at opponents. However, you can still be shot out of the sky and you return to your original position where you started the special, where opponents can wait to take you down.

C2F5PHMUUAAyZCv.jpg

The "Splashdown" Special allows Inklings to do a mini ink explosion. It can be done immediately on the ground or with a Super Jump.

C2F5i2IUkAAzXoV.jpg:large

This is the "Curling Bomb" which slides across the ground and bounces off walls.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's a shame that the first Splatoon had such a short lifespan, despite being arguably one of the best games on the Wii U.  Still, I'm quite looking forward to the sequel and hope it holds a candle to the original's fun and chaotic multiplayer.

Well I feel that splatoon was  taken at a huge risk from Nintendo. I do not think they forsaw the popularity the game brought. That is why I am hoping they will treat Splatoon 2 as a real sequel. Some are saying that it does not "feel" like one but with a few months left to go i want to see even more updates on the game, and hopefully a pretty good story mode.

I wonder if Octolings/Octarians will be playable. Maybe even give them more focus in the story as sympathetic villains and more gray areas like evil Inklings. Or even a chance for redemption.

• 4 weeks later...

Some new information and teases:

tumblr_okphu7yvzL1u3akyno1_540.jpgtumblr_okphu7yvzL1u3akyno2_540.jpg

We’ve received a report that Splatoon 2 will be compatible with an upcoming app for smart devices that enhances online play. This app will link with the game and allow you to set a play appointment with your friends and teammates invited through your social media accounts. It also lets you match up with them directly in the game and voice chat with them too.

For example, during a Private Battle, you can voice chat with all of the connected friends when you divide into teams, but once teams are set, voice chat is switched to communication only between teammates in the same team. Also, you cannot communicate with random Inklings you don’t know.

tumblr_ol4d8namrC1u3akyno1_400.gif

We’ve just received an image of a small cat-like creature on top of a larger cat-like creature known only as…Judd. Could this young cat be Judd’s offspring?! Or perhaps his younger sibling? Or even something more…sinister? MUAHAHA! Nope. Sorry. There’s no evidence to support that. I just got carried away. Anyway, according to our information from two years back, Judd was supposedly the squid world’s only mammal. Just what happened in the intervening time? We’ll spare no effort to solve this mystery!

tumblr_ol4dcs2Jfg1u3akyno1_540.jpgtumblr_ol4dcs2Jfg1u3akyno2_540.jpg

We’ve acquired images of some returning legacy weapons we weren’t able to show at our recent research presentation, so we’ve decided to reveal them here! This is a Splatling-type weapon called the Heavy Splatling. The angle of the signature ink barrels has been adjusted to make for easier maintenance, but aside from that it functions just as the original model did.

tumblr_ol4dfg8KjG1u3akyno1_540.jpgtumblr_ol4dfg8KjG1u3akyno2_540.jpg

In the Slosher category, the crowd-favorite Slosher is also making a return in Splatoon 2. The keen-eyed observer may notice that slight cosmetic adjustments have been made to the Slosher’s handle and suspension arm. These changes are in line with the cosmetic changes that other legacy weapons have recieved. It may seem a trivial change to some, but we at the Squid Research Lab feel that even the smallest changes must be documented in order to keep up with the ever-changing trends of the Inkling world.

tumblr_ol4dim73zE1u3akyno1_540.jpgtumblr_ol4dim73zE1u3akyno2_540.jpg

We’ve gotten a first look inside one of the new stages–Musselforge Fitness. This state of the art work out facility contains a bouldering gym, a regulation-sized pool, and all the treadmills you could ever want. Judging from our research, today’s Inklings are foregoing the calisthenics and aerobics for more back-to-basics, iron-puming workouts

Edited by Sonictrainer
New Information Released

New global test fire demo coming March 24th-26th. Over the course of three days, the game will open for six one-hour sessions. The game will cycle through 4v4 Turf War matches, and players will be able to use four new weapons, alongside two "remixed" versions of the existing Splat Roller and Splat Charger.

• 1 month later...

tumblr_omtjyfMwOT1u3akyno1_540.jpgtumblr_omtjyfMwOT1u3akyno2_540.jpg

We’re happy to report that the upcoming Global Testfire will include two stages to battle on: The Reef & Musselforge Fitness.

These stages will be randomly chosen throughout the event.

I'm predownloaded, but I wish they'd stop scheduling these things when I'm busy.  With the first game it was like magic  - Nintendo'd announce a Splatfest and the plant would immediately announce we'd be working that weekend.  This time I'm on vacation, but it's for a dog show that runs Wed-Sun, so not much time to relax.  And I don't think the site has Wifi, unfortunately.  (Or maybe fortunately, I'd hate to miss a class because I was busy with the Switch!)

Global Testfire Impressions

Weapons

• Splattershot- Same as before
  • Splat Roller- The new vertical paint toss is very effective at tossing paint to get more terrain and points and for splatting opponents
  • Splat Charger- The new charge storage is very effective but I'm not sure if anyone really using it...
  • Splat Dualies- Still trying them out and getting used to the dodge roll

Specials

• Tenta Missiles- I'm still getting the hang of this one...
  • Splashdown- Short and simple. In the right spots, this can be very effective.
  • Inkjet- As soon as I was enjoying this, someone managed to KO me with a Splashdown.
  • Stingray- Going into this, I thought that any opponents that touch the ink spray would instantly get KO but you actually have to hose them down first.

Other

• Still getting used to the new Map and Super Jumping controls...
  • Love the new music remixes and jingles for the menus and winning/losing a match
  • Overall, my first hour was fun and I'm ready for more

The test fire was fun. A few issues but overall it was fun for the first time I played splatoon

Well, I managed to get in on one of the timeslots.  Was a lot of fun; I like the new arenas.  Took a bit to sort out a few of the buttons, like where the 2dary weapon was (but in the Wii U version I could never remember that either).  My teams mostly won and I was usually in the middle, so I seem to play about as well as I used to.  Still haven't decided if I'll get it yet. 

I really had a hard time adjusting to the new controls. I kept wanting to use X to jump. And please don't get me started on the motion controls. They're as bizarre as ever, completely locking out Yeah axis camera movement with the analogue stick, but keeping X movement in. Why? I like to use motion controls in conjuction with the stick for precise movements. Went this game doesn't allow that I'll never understand, but once again it looks like I'll be playing Splatoon without motion controls at all. Kind of a shame. 

Did anyone else have trouble playing in handheld mode? I found it was impossible to re-centre the camera to to low vertical position with motion controls of I was lying down with the Switch unit held above me. No matter what, the camera would point upwards.

Other than these issues, there's not much to say. Splatoon is awesome as ever, but these test fires don't give me nearly long enough to get used to the game. I'll look forward to the full game and dipping into the single player campaign. 

For me it gave no instruction on what to do. Or what does what. It was made for long time players but over trail and error I learned.

18 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

For me it gave no instruction on what to do. Or what does what. It was made for long time players but over trail and error I learned.

There was a tutorial session that you could play through just once before your first match, but that was it. I think the original testfire for the first game was identical though. 

It wasn't an option. The game would put you into it before you ever even played for the first time. Did anyone else use play the testfire on your Switch first?

9 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

It wasn't an option. The game would put you into it before you ever even played for the first time. Did anyone else use play the testfire on your Switch first?

It would have had to have been on his user account, also because my housemate and I both played the tutorial.

I was super shit at shooting, which I think was a combination of having not played a console shooter for a loooong time and the controls feeling different? I was using a pro controller. Kinda miss the weight of the Wii U pad. It was fun though. The dodge roll on the splat dualies is pretty cool, and being put into a game so fast after being used to SFV's terrible slow matchmaking was a blessing to be sure.