Awoo.

Splatoon 2 (Summer 2017)

Meta77

I was send straight to the tutorial.  I was in handheld mode, since the Switch can't pick up my Dad's wifi from their den, so I had to sit upstairs by the computer.  There was a button (Y?) to recenter the camera, which was mentioned in the tutorial or one of the splash screens.

Not sure why the system's Wifi reception is so weak; all my other systems work in the den just fine; and even at home where the router is in the same room as the tv, the Switch only gets two bars.  But that's obviously not a game issue.

Also had a tutorial.  Overall I enjoyed it, no issue with motion controls, even in handheld mode (though I did use the stick a little more there than I do normally, that's it).

The map/jump thing does take getting used to (more due to me playing so much Zelda than remembering what the original Splatoon's controls are).  Super-jumping is also very cumbersome, I wouldn't mind an option to double tap or hold the d-pad to super-jump rather than hold the d-pad and then push another button.  After a while I got used to using the few seconds of killcam to check the map before I respawned though, and it's pretty much the same as the amount/timing I would look at it in the original game.

Right now it's just deciding whether this game is gonna be worth the £60 price tag for me.  I like Splatoon a lot but I did find it repetitive after a while, usually only enjoying half hour bursts of multiplayer on it (I didn't even play for the entire testfire period each session).  Since Splatoon 2 is pretty much the same game (the fact that special moves were replaced rather than added to is pretty much the only thing that makes it feel like a sequel rather than DLC), I'm sure it'll start gathering dust a little faster than the first did for me.  A big part of my apathy is the gear system - I really dislike games that tie aesthetics to stats, and I hate that it's all luck-based.  I find it very very disheartening to enter a match and get killed by a player who has put tons of hours in to perfectly calibrate/max out their gear.  I much prefer Overwatch's style where every player is on equal grounds every match and the game comes down to skill alone.  I wouldn't mind a mode in Splatoon 2 that lets you play without perks.

I definitely want to indulge in the new single player campaign though, I hope it's more story-driven this time with a bit more aesthetic variety and/or context for the various stages.  Splatoon 1's very much felt like I was playing a poor man's Super Mario 3D World and the odd soundtrack, while fun, got old pretty quickly as the same 3 music tracks got used for all the "regular" style stages from start to finish.  I'd much rather have stuff in style with the multiplayer music, even though I totally respect what they were going for with the Single Player soundtrack.

59 minutes ago, JezMM said:

A big part of my apathy is the gear system - I really dislike games that tie aesthetics to stats, and I hate that it's all luck-based.  I find it very very disheartening to enter a match and get killed by a player who has put tons of hours in to perfectly calibrate/max out their gear.  I much prefer Overwatch's style where every player is on equal grounds every match and the game comes down to skill alone.  I wouldn't mind a mode in Splatoon 2 that lets you play without perks.

I personally wouldn't mind a system similar to Paladins that lets you pick around 5 "perks" and gives you some points to allocate to boost the effects of said perks. Provides some customization without allowing "maxing out" one's gear. Paladins isn't as polished as Overwatch, but its cards system is a rather notable point of differentiation that works well.

EDIT: New Info and Maps Revealed 

tumblr_onu9yk5ZlF1u3akyno1_540.jpgtumblr_onu9yk5ZlF1u3akyno2_540.jpg

It looks as though trends in the world of fashion have changed a bit in the last two years. New color palettes and materials have gained traction, and a more casual look is on the rise. Take these suede leather sneakers, for example. They somehow manage to be both casual and classy, and they go great with almost any outfit choice.

tumblr_onu9w3gRIO1u3akyno1_540.jpgtumblr_onu9w3gRIO1u3akyno2_540.jpgtumblr_onu9w3gRIO1u3akyno3_540.jpg

This is Starfish Mainstage. It’s an outdoor music venue that hosts concerts for all types of music acts. The now legendary “Squid Squad” played here once, and its considered a bit of a holy site for devotees of rock music. It’s a wonder that all the ink  spray doesn’t cause the equipment to short circuit, but I guess they’ve got it figured out.

tumblr_onoxq9E1Gg1u3akyno1_540.jpgtumblr_onoxq9E1Gg1u3akyno2_540.jpgtumblr_onoxq9E1Gg1u3akyno3_400.jpgtumblr_onoxq9E1Gg1u3akyno4_400.jpg

Introducing Humpback Pump Track. This new stage is an indoor BMX track, but Inklings use it as a stage for Turf War. It features many curvy ups and downs, and the bike track surrounds a small hill in the middle. You’d think the openness makes for great visibility, but the hump abundance creates a surprising amount of blind spots. Inklings can employ multiple strategies, including frontal breakthroughs or attacking from the side.

Oh… and we just realized that jellyfish can ride bikes? What!?

tumblr_onou0ygupP1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

We’ve managed to learn the name of the young boy with the sea-urchin like head. Everyone, meet “Murch”. Apparently, he looks up to Spyke as a role model, and works in the same industry (if not the same organization) as Spyke.

tumblr_inline_onotsgdTih1t4m0j9_1280.jpgtumblr_inline_onotsmC0Aw1t4m0j9_1280.jpg

Murch is good with his hands, and he uses those nimble digits to perform a special service he calls “gear scrubbing”. This will reset the additional abilities on a piece of gear, returning it to its original state. From what we can tell, gear abilities you’ve removed from gear will be returned to you as “ability chunks”.

tumblr_inline_onott93MIQ1t4m0j9_1280.jpg

Once you collect enough ability chunks you’ll be able to use them to fill an empty gear slot with a new ability. Theoretically, this means that repeating Murch’s gear scrubbing many times would allow you to mix and match additional gear abilities as you see fit! That would be incredible! It could be that this young man is even more talented than Spyke himself!

Sweet!

tumblr_inline_onlkcoeqfI1t4m0j9_1280.jpg

Also, it has been confirmed that Splatoon 2 will have old and brand new Gear Abilities.

Edited by Sonictrainer
New Maps Revealed and Tumblr Posts

• 2 weeks later...

C9PuzlzUQAAXfro.jpg:large

Power Egg collecting is becoming popular among Inklings! Experience it in the new Salmon Run mode in #Splatoon2. pic.twitter.com/mW0YfrawOv

C9PvXm8VwAAPd1S.jpgC9PvYdBUAAAfgcF.jpgC9PvZeAUQAAJhHO.jpg

It’s a scientific fact that new #Splatoon2 series amiibo figures will be released – Inkling Girl, Inkling Boy, and Inkling Squid.

C9PwJHPVoAEXBnm.jpg

Befriend an amiibo character in #Splatoon2 and they’ll remember your favorite outfits, weapons, gear, and option settings.

C9PwPx0UIAA0SeU.jpg

#Splatoon2 rolls on to #NintendoSwitch July 21, and the new Splatoon 2 amiibo figures release that same day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

New Single Player Trailer from tonight's Direct:

Callie—of Squid Sisters fame—has gone missing and it’s up to you, with the help of Marie, to search for Callie and the Great Zapfish while battling against the Octarian army. Use different weapons in single-player mode to overcome obstacles, defeat enemies and take down towering bosses – weapons like the Roller, Slosher, Splatling, or the new Dualies. For more on the Squid Sisters, check out the Squid Sisters Stories here: https://goo.gl/QUy7Ql

tumblr_inline_oq4cfm2txT1t4m0j9_1280.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

New Information and Official Artwork of Single Player Mode from the US Tumblr

tumblr_oqkmodGnQs1u3akyno1_540.jpg

tumblr_oqkmodGnQs1u3akyno2_400.jpgtumblr_oqkmodGnQs1u3akyno3_400.jpg

Unknown to all but a select few, the “New Squidbeak Splatoon” has formed to stand against the Octarian menace.

A young Inkling, new to the streets of Inkopolis Square, has been hand-picked by Marie herself and given the handle “Agent 4”. Agent 4’s perilous mission begins in Octo Canyon, the mysterious location of the Octarian headquarters. Good luck, Agent 4.

tumblr_oqknilcSsw1u3akyno1_540.jpg

tumblr_oqknilcSsw1u3akyno2_540.jpg

By day, she’s one half of the hit pop sensation “Squid Sisters.”  By later that same day, Marie is Agent 2 from the secretive New Squidbeak Splatoon! Stepping in for the out-of-office Cap'n Cuttlefish, she’s been keeping a watchful eye on the shady Octarians. As a side note, the newly recruited Agent 4 has apparently never heard of the Squid Sisters?! Agent 4 must be one of those newfangled cord cutters. Or a hermit crab. Or both…

tumblr_oqknqqxqb91u3akyno1_540.jpg

tumblr_oqknqqxqb91u3akyno2_540.jpg

Agent 4 will be supplied with multiple types of weapons during the battle with the Octarians thanks to Sheldon, the horseshoe crab who owns the “Ammo Knights” weapon shop. He will lend Agent 4 weapons exclusively for fighting the Octarian threat. This also allows him to collect data on his weapons so he can mass produce them for use in official Turf War battles, so it’s a win-win.

tumblr_oqko4pSP0v1u3akyno1_540.jpg

tumblr_oqko4pSP0v1u3akyno2_400.jpgtumblr_oqko4pSP0v1u3akyno3_400.jpgtumblr_oqko4pSP0v1u3akyno4_540.jpg

The Octarian army is a legion of tentactled tormentors that threaten the very foundation of Inkling society. In the intevening time since their last assault, they’ve been quietly adding to their ranks deep in their subterranean lair, waiting for a chance to exact their revenge. With new and terrible weaponry such as the Octozeppelin and the Octoballer, they’ll stop at nothing to destroy the Inkling way of life.

tumblr_oqko9zOlfs1u3akyno1_540.jpg

tumblr_oqko9zOlfs1u3akyno2_400.jpgtumblr_oqko9zOlfs1u3akyno3_400.jpg

This tough customer is Octo Samurai. He brandishes a gigantic roller, using it to dash the hopes of all those who dare approach. He’s got no time or patience for anyone who fakes the funk, and word has it that he is worshipped as a big bad boss by the Octarian rank-and-file troops. He enjoys working on his motorcycle in his spare time. On closer examination, it should be noted that he actually looks more like a sumo wrestler than a samurai, which is a little weird.

The Octoling Designs are still as crazy as ever :D

The Ranked Battle Modes from Splatoon are returning in Splatoon 2!

tumblr_oqupt56nnK1u3akyno1_540.jpgtumblr_oqupt56nnK1u3akyno2_540.jpg

Just in, new details of the Ranked Battle modes in Splatoon 2. Splat Zones is a mode in which teams compete for control of areas known as, you guessed it…Splat Zones. If the other team gains control of a zone, cover it in your team’s ink to steal it back! While the rules haven’t changed from the original Splatoon game, the zone coverage status in the middle of the UI now provides more real-time updates.

tumblr_oqupziKYGA1u3akyno1_540.jpgtumblr_oqupziKYGA1u3akyno2_400.jpgtumblr_oqupziKYGA1u3akyno3_400.jpg

In Tower Control mode, teams battle to move a tower deep into enemy territory. As the tower moves along its set path, it passes through a number of checkpoints and–this is key–stops at each checkpoint for a bit before moving on. We’ve deduced that once a team clears a checkpoint, they’ll be able to pass through it again without stopping. Teamwork is key to victory—make no mistake about it!

tumblr_oquqdpBIm51u3akyno1_540.jpgtumblr_oquqdpBIm51u3akyno2_400.jpgtumblr_oquqdpBIm51u3akyno3_400.jpg

In Rainmaker, opposing teams battle for control of the Rainmaker, a powerful weapon lying in the center of the stage. Whichever team succeeds in carrying the Rainmaker to the pedestal located in the opposing team’s base will taste the sweet nectar of victory. If you charge the Rainmaker up all the way, the shots it fires will explode when they reach their target! In Rainmaker, the best defense is a good offense, so don’t hold back!

More members of the Octarians revealed

tumblr_oqkof8C88T1u3akyno1_540.jpg

tumblr_oqkof8C88T1u3akyno2_400.jpgtumblr_oqkof8C88T1u3akyno3_400.jpg

This bad mamma jamma is none other than the Octoling, an Octarian soldier that can take on a humanoid form and compete with Inklings in speed and maneuverability. And yes, I know they’re super rad looking, but do NOT let that fool you. They’ll come after Agent 4 with whatever weapon they can find, from shooters to rollers to sloshers. Their face visors have also gotten an upgrade, and as much as I hate to admit it, look pretty flippin’ fresh.

tumblr_oqkoilE5pn1u3akyno1_400.gif

We’ve gotten some Octarian intel that wasn’t available to us in our most recent research footage. This odd creature is called the Tentakook. Tentakooks have an annoying tendency to dodge attacks while they litter the ground with bombs. Try hounding them into a dead end before finishing them off.

• 1 month later...

Oh man, there's a list of stuff revealed at E3 2017 and on today's Splatoon 2 Nintendo Direct.

Let's get fresh!

New and Returning Characters

DEDv6kaXgAAKszQ.jpg

DEDv6KIXUAUykQK.jpg

The music duo Pearl and Marina, aka Off the Hook, are our m.c.s this time.

DEDqd5nXsAAqGRJ.jpg

Flow the Sea Snail will be selling the Headgear at her shop Headspace. Her friend's name is Craymond.

DEDqeMnW0AA9Puj.jpg

Bish the Spider Crab will be selling the shoes and footwear at Shella Fresh.

DEDqemIXsAcemA1.jpg

Jelfenzo sells shirts, jackets, and other tops at Ye Olde Cloth Shoppe.

DEDqfQJXkAIdBJL.jpg

We already knew Sheldon would return to sell weapons at Ammo Knights but you can now speed up his dialog.

tumblr_osow8zkVGD1wogt8ho1_1280.jpg

Crusty Sean is also returning in his brand new food stand The Crust Bucket. Here he sells food that increases your money and experience earned in matches and drinks that increase your chances of giving your gear specific abilities. All Sean needs is a ticket.

New Weapons

Splatoon2_img_weapon_Clash_Blaster-1024x

Clash Blaster: A blaster with a high firing rate

Splatoon2_img_weapon_Flingza_Roller-1024

Flingza Roller: A roller that throws ink farther when tossing ink vertically

Splatoon2_img_weapon_Goo_Tuber-1024x576.

Goo Tuber: A type of charger that can hold a longer charge

Splatoon2_img_weapon_Dapple_Dualies-1024

Dapple Dualies: A type of Splat Dualies that has a faster Dodge Roll

Splatoon2_img_Splat_Brella-1024x576.jpg

Splat Brella: A brand new type of weapon based on a umbrella. It can shoot and block ink. Will be a DLC Weapon

New Sub Weapons

• Toxic Mist
  • ?

New Specials

• Ink Storm: 
  • Bomb Launcher: A remixed version of the Bomb Rush, where Inklings hold a device on their backs that launches the Bombs for them
  • Ink Armor: A remixed version of the Bubbler, where Inklings get a covered in their Own Ink and become invincible for a short amount of time
  • Baller: Inklings roll around in a hamster ball. After a period of time, it explodes. It can also climb up walls.

New Abilities

• Thermal Ink: allows you to see opponents you've semi-inked from behind walls and objects 
  • Object Shredder: Inklings can destroy the opponents' sub weapons  
  • Respawn Punisher: 
  • Drop Roller: Allows Inklings to do a dodge roll after Super Jumping, to prevent getting inked on landing

Game Modes

• Each Ranked Battle has their own separate rank. (Example: If you get up to B in Tower Control, the Ranks for Splat Zones and Rainmaker won't change)
  • League Battle is a new mode where players can played Ranked Battles but also in 2 VS 2 Matches for the first time (outside of Private Matches). These are only available for 2 hours and you can receive a Medal based on how well you do.
  • Salmon Run is only available during certain times of the day

Maps

Splatoon2_scrn_map_Port_Mackerel_00.jpg

So far the only other returning Maps from Splatoon besides Moray Towers is Port Mackerel. 

There were also 2 unnamed DLC maps.

One takes place on a ship

The other looks like a remixed Bluefin Depot but I could be wrong...

Splatfest

DEDw-SdW0AAUBUB.jpg

The #Splatoon2: Splatfest World Premiere download will be available on the eShop later today! Try the game out on July 15th from 3-7pm PST!

WDeKwgeK?format=jpg&name=orig

It's #TeamCake vs #TeamIceCream in first ever Splatoon 2 Splatfest! Which side will you choose?

#TeamIceCream

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't find the tweet, but some guy tweeted that Marina looked very similar to Penders' redesign for Lien-Da. Nintendo oughta change that shit or else Penders will sue.

The puns. The puns please me.

Also, Marina is bae. Not that it needs to be said.

8 hours ago, Sgt Jack V said:

I can't find the tweet, but some guy tweeted that Marina looked very similar to Penders' redesign for Lien-Da. Nintendo oughta change that shit or else Penders will sue.

Nintendo would destroy that idiot if he even thought of trying.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/7/2017 at 4:20 AM, Sonictrainer said:

WDeKwgeK?format=jpg&name=orig

#TeamIceCream

Not a great time of year for Team Cake lol

On 07/07/2017 at 4:32 AM, Sgt Jack V said:

This is the most disgustingly unnecessary comparison of two characters I have EVER heard of.  Marina deserves so much better than this.

• Thumbs Up 5

It looks like people are getting their review copies of the game this week.

New Updates and clarification of things revealed in the Splatoon 2 Nintendo Direct on the US Twitter

tumblr_oszq5qRtM91u3akyno1_400.jpgtumblr_oszq5qRtM91u3akyno2_400.jpgtumblr_oszq5qRtM91u3akyno3_540.png

Did you know you can create drawings and share them via social media? It’s true! Just visit the mailbox in Inkopolis Square. Your drawings may be viewable by other players, so don’t go posting personal info or inappropriate content, knuckleheads! These drawings may be displayed as signs or graffiti in Inkopolis Square.

While I'm happy to see this is back, the Switch touchscreen REALLY needs a stylus in order for me to make a decent picture.

tumblr_oszyhrjyj21u3akyno1_1280.jpg 

At the end of each Splatfest, participants will earn Super Sea Snails based on their individual and team contribution. If you give snails to Murch in Inkopolis Square, he can add additional slots to your gear, or scrub your gear to remove its secondary abilities.

Please note that Super Sea Snails will not be distributed for the Splatfest World Premiere event taking place this weekend. Save data from the demo will not carry over into the full game.

Oh well....:(

tumblr_ot01gpsCdh1u3akyno1_540.jpgtumblr_ot01gpsCdh1u3akyno2_540.jpg

We all know Inklings love to grab a bite at Crusty Sean’s new food-truck venture, the aptly named Crust Bucket. Chow down on these deep-fried snacks and you’ll get more cash and experience from battles. However, it seems the only currency that Sean accepts is “tickets” which can be earned in Octo Canyon or Salmon Run.

tumblr_ot030wQ9Eu1u3akyno1_540.jpgtumblr_ot030wQ9Eu1u3akyno2_540.jpg

Ink Armor grants each member of your team armor that nullifies damage from a single attack. It works on all team members regardless of proximity. The effect lasts for a limited time, but we imagine this special will be useful for laying pressure on opponents.

Unlike the Bubbler in Splatoon 1, which needed you to actually touch your teammates to give them a shield, Ink Armor automatically covers everyone.

tumblr_ot04zwM8Jb1u3akyno2_540.jpgtumblr_ot04zwM8Jb1u3akyno1_540.jpg

The Bomb Launcher special allows you to launch bombs without consuming any ink. The longer a player holds the R button, the farther the bomb will travel. They also come in different varieties: Splat-Bomb Launcher, Curling-Bomb Launcher, Autobomb Launcher, etc. We also discovered that this special doesn’t necessarily tie to your kit’s sub weapon, meaning you might discover a kit with Suction Bomb sub and Curling-Bomb Launcher special, for example.

Unlike the Bomb Rush in Splatoon 1, Bomb Launcher may actually get different bombs each time you use it.

Here's what the Splatfest construction looks like in the Japanese Version.