Here are the results of the Money VS Love Splatfest:

• Votes: 32% < 68%
  • Solo Wins: 49% < 51%
  • Team Wins: 51% > 49%
  • Final Results: 1 < 2
  • Team Love Wins

Marina: Love conquers all!

Pearl: RIGGED!

Marina: I hope you learned your lesson, Pearl. The price of something doesn't determine its value. The more money you spend, the less money you have. The more love you spend, the more you get in return.

Pearl: So love is like playing the stock market? Got it.

Marina: What? No, that's not what I mea-

• 3 weeks later...

What a great day to be a Splatoon Fan! :D

New Single-Player Expansion Coming to Splatoon 2! The first paid DLC is coming to Splatoon 2 this summer. And before that in April, Splatoon 2 is getting a major free update (Version 3.0) that contains 100+ new pieces of gear, more stages rolling out throughout spring (Piranha Pit, Camp Triggerfish and Wahoo World) and a new rank (Rank X). Rank X is an extreme rank, even higher than S+.

Oh man, where to begin? In today's Nintendo Direct, Version 3.0 of the game was revealed. Not only will there be new gear, maps, and weapons, but there are new features for Story Mode, including a brand new paid DLC Single Player Mode called Octo ?, that once completed, players can finally play as an Octoling in Splatoon! :D

Pictures and videos incoming! :D

39803531665_1cfec40dcd_o.jpg

Here's some information from the US site:

Play as an Octoling for the very first time in Octo Expansion, a downloadable single-player campaign for Splatoon 2!

Octo Expansion launches this summer, but players can pre-purchase the DLC today to immediately receive Octo-themed in-game gear to use in battle right away.

The new adventure will feature 80 missions starring Agent 8, a new character who awakens without her memories on a dark subway platform. Navigate the twisted depths in a battle to reach the surface of Inkopolis. Once you escape, you'll be able to join multiplayer matches as an Octoling! 

• Play as an Octoling who's lost her memory in a new single-player adventure spanning 80 missions.
  • Navigate an underground facility to reach the surface of Inkopolis.
  • Take on a variety of mission types packed with new challenges you won't find in the main game. 
  • Complete the campaign to unlock Octolings (Girl or Boy) as playable characters in multiplayer* battles.
  • Unravel mysteries hidden below Inkopolis with Pearl, Marina, & Cap'n Cuttlefish.

Buy now, get in-game gear 
Get your tentacles on special octo-themed in-game gear right away when you purchase. Then get ready to play Octo Expansion as soon as it's released this summer.

US $19.99 / CA $25.79

• Nice Smile 1

Yay, DLC for us single-player mode fans! I'm always up for delving deeper into the lore. Plus, that octoling girl's a cutie.

Looks like I'm gonna have a lot of content to enjoy if I ever get around to picking this game up.

tumblr_p573fhogun1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

Here are the results of the Chicken VS Egg Splatfest:

• Votes: 41% < 59%
  • Solo Wins: 53% > 47%
  • Team Wins: 56% > 44%
  • Final Results: 2 > 1
  • TEAM CHICKEN WINS!

Pearl: BAWK BAWK BUH-KAWK! You wanna make an omelet, gotta break a FEW EGGS. The chickens knocked the eggheads down a FEW PEGS! You know the Splatfest rules, Marina... The chicken officially came before the egg. BOOYAH!

Marina: Actually, I think most scientists would disagree wi-

Pearl: The chicken came first, Marina. The Splatfest proved it.

Marina: I'm just saying that genetic mutations over the course of many generations-

Pearl: YOU'RE IN VIOLATION OF ARTICLE 3 SECTION 2 OF SPLATFEST LAW!

Marina: Whatever...

Speaking of Pearl and Marina, their Amiibo will be coming on July 13.

DXzt-cPX0AAvFki.png:large

It looks like Nintendo spent more on hip animation than anything

Anyway I wonder if they are cloning squids. If so it looks to tie into pictures I've seen from the splatoon 2 artbook. Talking about squid souls I think.

Man, do I HAFTA buy that little twerp Pearl along with Marina? Oh well. Guess I can just buy the two-pack and sell her for a few bucks.

12 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Man, do I HAFTA buy that little twerp Pearl along with Marina? Oh well. Guess I can just buy the two-pack and sell her for a few bucks.

No I've seen solo packs online

More information about the Octo Expansion has been finally been revealed, in English:

tumblr_p5p0h2nqOI1u3akyno1_540.jpgtumblr_p5p0h2nqOI1u3akyno3_400.jpgtumblr_p5p0h2nqOI1u3akyno2_400.jpgtumblr_p5p0h2nqOI1u3akyno4_540.jpg

Notice the GameCubes floating around in that one image? :D

The story of Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion unfolds in a huge test facility deep underground. Who made this facility and for what purpose is veiled in mystery. The area is completely isolated from the outside world, as if time stopped long ago. Objects from the old world drift here and there, like relics of a bygone past.

tumblr_p5p61yJ0d91u3akyno1_540.jpgtumblr_p5p61yJ0d91u3akyno2_540.jpg

The protagonist in Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion is No. 10,008, aka Agent 8. Agent 8 has lost its memory—it doesn’t remember who it is or how it ended up underground. While it seems that most Octarians are pure evil, it appears this one has had its very nature changed somehow by having heard the Squid Sisters’ Calamari Inkantation. It’s up to you to help this lost Octoling escape from this mysterious subterranean world.

tumblr_p5qvetuJZM1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

Are Pearl, a.k.a. MC.Princess, and Marina, a.k.a DJ_Hyperfresh, aiding the Octolings? Rumor has it they’ll help Agent 8 escape from the underground via wireless connection from above. We’ve also heard that the untold story of how ‘Off the Hook’ was formed may also be revealed…

tumblr_p5qurj5inF1u3akyno1_400.jpg

Agent 8 will face over 80 tough tests on the journey out of the underground. With a little help from ‘Off the Hook’ though, Agent 8 will be able to skip the tests that are just too difficult. And don’t worry, even if you skip some tests you’ll still be able to play as an Octoling once you escape the underground.

tumblr_p5v42qxsIl1u3akyno1_540.jpgtumblr_p5v42qxsIl1u3akyno2_540.jpg

This is Cap'n Cuttlefish, leader of the New Squidbeak Splatoon, which secretly protects the world of Inklings from Octarian forces. He looks very old, but won fame as a brave fighter. Along with his apprentice Agent 3, he’s been out on patrol. Unfortunately, it looks like he somehow strayed into this underground world and lost track of Agent 3 as well.

tumblr_p5v4chkswp1u3akyno2_400.jpgtumblr_p5v4chkswp1u3akyno1_400.jpgtumblr_p5v4chkswp1u3akyno3_540.jpg

In order to move around the underground world, a subway system called Deepsea Metro is essential. The ecosystem of the underground seems to have developed uniquely within its closed environment. Therefore, passengers you can see in the subway look quite different from residents above ground. And while they look a bit grim, it seems they’re not bad guys.

tumblr_p5v4ntWfZR1u3akyno2_540.jpgtumblr_p5v4ntWfZR1u3akyno1_540.jpgtumblr_p5v4ntWfZR1u3akyno3_540.jpg

This is one of the stations where Deepsea Metro stops. Each station is directly connected to a respective test facility in which various tests await Agent 8. Each station will offer a unique test; for example, there appears to be a test in which you must clear an area only using special weapons.

tumblr_p5quzllaAW1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

Octolings in Inkopolis Plaza? This is highly irregular! It looks like they’ll be joining in on Regular and Ranked Battles, and they’ll have the same stats and abilities as an Inkling. Because of their similar sizes, they’ll also be able to wear the same gear as well. 

Once you’ve helped Agent 8 reach the surface and completed the Octo Expansion, you’ll unlock the ability to play as one of these tentacled terrors.

tumblr_p5v4twTJrG1u3akyno1_540.jpgtumblr_p5v4twTJrG1u3akyno2_400.jpgtumblr_p5v4twTJrG1u3akyno3_400.jpgtumblr_p5v4twTJrG1u3akyno4_400.jpgtumblr_p5v4twTJrG1u3akyno5_400.jpg

For those who don't know, there's been a "Bring Back Callie" group that's very vocal since the game released last year. This feature may be because of the fan response.

Once you meet a certain condition after the V.3.0 update, Callie of the Squid Sisters will appear in Tentakeel Outpost in Octo Canyon. Given how famous the Squid Sisters are in the Inkling world, this must be a good place to avoid being mobbed by fans. Callie will also offer recent news about Agent 4.

GameXplain also has a few videos on the Octo Expansion from the Japanese Twitter and Switch Commercial.

• Thumbs Up 2

https://twitter.com/frozenpandaman/status/976498467110465541

Some of you may have already known this, but here's a good look at the Splatoon panel from GDC including early designs and prototypes. We get a nice good look at the Rabbits design for the players, as well as the Mario prototype which mainly starred Yoshis. Turns out the ink shooter concept was finalized before the characters themselves. (Which I believe is usually how it works at Nintendo anyway) The squid design was chosen over others because they made the most sense to shoot ink and hide in it. And the humannoid shape-shifting aspect was added most likely to extend appeal, so pretty good move there!

On a different note:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/heres-what-dark-nintendo-means-according-to-splato/1100-6457683/

This recent interview gives a different perspective on the details above, and also reveals details on the Octo Expansion's tone. They consider a part of "the dark side of Nintendo," and do this to make the world of Splatoon feel more realistic and not just a happy-go-lucky place all the time.

Just like real life, you don't live every single day with the same attitude. You're not smiling and laughing every day of your life. In the same sort of way, we give that feeling to our world; it's not simply bright colors and fun times. There are variations in the emotions in this world that it feel more convincing and draw people in further.

We actually have a phrase in Japan: "dark Nintendo" or "the dark side of Nintendo." It's something the players have said, but I remember Mr. Iwata saying it as well. It's not something that we're spending too much time trying to make sure our games are edgy and dark, but that we want them to be believable. We want them to feel like they have heft and weight to them.

It's something that hovers in the background in order to give characters that three-dimensional feeling.

I find this very interesting, given the dark undertones found in almost all of Nintendo's other games. What do you think?

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

tumblr_p6mxcn7Ari1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

The Sports Splafest, Baseball VS Soccer Results are in:

• Votes: 40% < 60%
  • Solo Wins: 51% > 49%
  • Teams Wins: 51% > 49%

Pearl: BLAM! Team Baseball knocks it out da paaaark!

Marina: Buh...

Pearl: Gimme a beat, Marina!

Marina: Boom, pshh. Boom, boom, pshh...

Pearl: BASEBALL IS IN THE PLACE, Y'ALL! They fall but we stay tall 'cuz we ain't small! HAH! Up top, sluggers!

Marina: We'll get 'em next time, strikers.

More information on the Octo Expansion.

tumblr_p6ku1hESKf1u3akyno1_540.jpgtumblr_p6ku1hESKf1u3akyno2_540.jpg

This is C.Q. Cumber, a humble sea cucumber who works as a subway conductor and guide to the underground test facility. Despite his mysterious looks, this diminutive dude is a total pro and takes his job quite seriously. Whenever you’re in trouble, try talking to him.

tumblr_p6ml59HQGr1u3akyno1_540.jpgtumblr_p6ml59HQGr1u3akyno2_540.jpg

This is the Telephone. It provides Agent 8 with a CQ-80 device and CQ Card, essential items for exploring the underground world. The phone speaks as if it knows a lot of things…

tumblr_p6mnksMLyW1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

The CQ-80 is an essential tool for exploring the underground test facility. When aboard a Deepsea Metro subway train, you can use the CQ-80 to view the subway map. Choose a station on the map, and the train will take you there.

• 2 weeks later...

I am totally getting the Octo Expansion and new amiibo figures when they release. In some odd way Nintendo did listen to the fans who were begging for octlings to playable. Now we have the DLC coming out to make Octlings playable. It's kinda almost like they are popular or something.

• 2 weeks later...

Another Nickelodeon/Cartoon Splatfest has been revealed!

tumblr_p7s1gs7WpH1u3akyno1_540.jpg

tumblr_p7s1gs7WpH1u3akyno2_1280.jpg

tumblr_p7s1gs7WpH1u3akyno3_1280.png

A special tournament-style Splatfest is coming to Splatoon 2! The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are rising up to take the stage, and it’s up to you to vote and battle for your favorite Turtle! Will you root for Raph? Lay down some ink for Leo? Make some noise for Mikey? Or dominate for Donnie?

The first of three Splatfest tournaments will pit Raph against Leo on 5/4-5/5, with the second on 5/11-5/12, featuring Mikey vs. Donnie, and the final match between the winners takes place on 5/18-5/19. Which brother will be crowned the most bodacious?

The first round of the @tmnt Splatfest features Raph vs. Leo and oozes into action 5/4 at 9pm PT!

• 2 weeks later...

tumblr_p82yp5DxY71u3akyno1_1280.jpg

Here are the Results of the First Round of the TMNT Tournament:

Raph VS Leo

• Votes: 42.23% < 57.77%
  • Solo Wins: 51.82% > 48.18%
  • Team Wins: 55.86% > 44.14%

Pearl: TURTLE POWER!

Marina: Noooooo!

Pearl: Team Raph in the place, as we laugh in your face! BOOYAH!

Marina: Please forgive us, Leo...

Pearl: Later, Leo-NERDO!

Marina: That's it. Ralph is going DOWN in the finals! I'll NEVER root for Ralph!

Pearl: Um... It's Raph. Not Ralph.

There has also been new info on the Octo Expansion:

• Thumbs Up 1

I had the worst luck I've had so far with the internet yesterday.  I got kicked out of the lobby four times and once out of a game in the last 10 seconds, which it appeared the other team had already been evicted from - my teammates and I had painted blue all the way to the other base, with almost no hint of an opposing color, let alone players.

And what have they done to the Turtles?  Leo looks like a treefrog!

maaaan, and i was team leo... So much for my first Splatfest. Apparently, popular vote teams are more likely to lose, I read. At least I was a Leo Queen!

Team Donnie had better win this next Splatfest...!

19 hours ago, Polkadi said:

Team Donnie had better win this next Splatfest...!

Don't normally take part in Splatfests, and I despise the design of Donnie in Rise of the TMNT, buuuut I can't leave my man high and dry here. Looks like Team Donnie is gonna be my first splatfest.

• Thumbs Up 1

We've got our artwork for Round 2:

And y'all thought Pearl had a huge forehead.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Meanwhile, in Japan...

DczP2R4VAAAPtkV.jpg

>No Retsuko 

well this is a bad splatfest

• Chuckle 1

tumblr_p8fpbzfpuS1u3akyno1_540.jpg

Alright, here are the results for Round 2 of the TMNT Tournament: Mikey VS Donnie!

• Votes: 55.85% > 44.15%
  • Solo Wins: 47.64% < 52.36%
  • Team Wins: 45.18% < 54.82%
  • Final Results: 1 < 2
  • TEAM DONNIE WINS

Marina: COWABUNGA!

Pearl: Aw man...

Marina: Nice work, Team Donnie! I can't wait to fight for Donnie's honor in the finals! I hope you'll stick with us!

Pearl: Ugh... I'LL NEVER side with Dona-smello! You're going down in the finals...

Speaking of which

tumblr_p8ofisdKJf1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

The final round is upon us, can Team Donnie take it all the way home, or will Team Raph take the title? Vote in Inkopolis Square beginning the evening of 5/15, and clear your calendar on 5/18 when the final round goes live!

PSA – Make sure to collect your Super Sea Snails by Tuesday morning! Round 3 of the @tmnt Splatfest is inkoming, so there’s a shorter time than usual to grab your gastropods!

giphy.gif

Best turtle wins this time, Mikey.

Hope Donnie can carry through for the title of best turtle!

• Thumbs Up 1

tumblr_p8ofisdKJf1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

Alright, time for the results of the Finals of the TMNT Tournament Splatfest:

• Votes: 53.02% > 46.98%
  • Solo Wins: 48.11% < 51.89%
  • Team Wins: 49.02% < 50.98%
  • Final Results: 1 < 2
  • TEAM DONNIE WINS! DONNIE IS THE NUMBER #1 TMNT IN THE SPLATOON UNIVERSE!

Marina: DONNIE WINS IT ALL!

Pearl: NOOOOOOOO!

Marina: Great job, Team Donnie! Today, we proved that Donnie is the undisputed king of the Ninja Turtles.

Pearl: Ugh... I can't believe that Dona-smello won.

Marina: Stay classy, Pearl...

Besides the Splatfest, we've gotten more updates on Octo Expansion in English

tumblr_p8l896S1fP1u3akyno1_540.jpgtumblr_p8l896S1fP1u3akyno2_400.jpgtumblr_p8l896S1fP1u3akyno3_400.jpg

These are the passengers of Deepsea Metro, collectively known as the “denizens of the deep.” They look a bit strange, which we believe is a result of having adapted to survive in the extreme depths of their unique environment.

They don’t seem interested in Agent 8 or Cap'n Cuttlefish, as they don’t respond at all when talked to. We’re not sure what to make of this…

tumblr_p8l8e79kZs1u3akyno2_540.jpgtumblr_p8l8e79kZs1u3akyno1_540.jpg

The protagonist of Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion is a young Octarian Octoling. Octarians seem to have a more serious nature than the carefree Inklings we’re accustomed to. We’ve also heard that they’re naturally good with their hands and adept at using tools and machinery.

tumblr_p8l8hmARoi1u3akyno1_540.jpgtumblr_p8l8hmARoi1u3akyno2_540.jpg

This fine fellow’s name is Iso Padre. He may look a bit scary, but he’s a perfect gentleman. We hear he’s highly interested in some things you can acquire within the underground test facility.

tumblr_p8qvv98uob1u3akyno1_540.jpgtumblr_p8qvv98uob1u3akyno2_400.jpgtumblr_p8qvv98uob1u3akyno3_400.jpg

These are mem cakes. You can obtain these by passing the various tests within the underground facility. From what we can determine, these cakes are formed by compressing one’s memories into physical form. If you’re able to collect some of these, show them to Iso Padre. He’ll be quite delighted!

tumblr_p8qvy8EdoP1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

This blobfish is a dignified Deepsea Metro rider. He may look a bit grim at first glance, but if you look carefully, you may find his appearance pleasing after all.

tumblr_p8qwnd6snT1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

You can find these things clinging to the walls, ceilings, and floors of the Deepsea Metro subway trains. We’re not sure if they’re paying customers or what… And how do they get on and off the train?

We also have more levels revealed:

A stage where you have to grind on Ink Rails and shoot targets.

A stage where you have to hit switches to freeze platforms to make a bridge.

Stages where you have to play a solo round of Rainmaker.

A stage where you have to fight on top of boxes and breakable things.

Finally, we have a list of Ranked Battle Stages that will be available for the month of May:

tumblr_p8qwdlsPK11u3akyno1_540.jpgtumblr_p8qwdlsPK11u3akyno2_540.jpgtumblr_p8qwdlsPK11u3akyno3_540.jpgtumblr_p8qwdlsPK11u3akyno4_540.jpg

In case you missed it, these are the featured Ranked Battle stages available this month. Eight stages are available in each mode, and two out of eight stages will be playable in a given two-hour rotation. We anticipate this will allow players to further master and refine their strategies.

• Thumbs Up 2